Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

food court bailiff posted:

oh boy is it time for this month's edition of "watch hyphz fundamentally misunderstand both conversations and pbta games all at once" already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Even with no medical background I think "look for root causes" and "implement quarantine zones" are task that could be undertaken in a single roll.

In D&D types, you don't "solve an entire dungeon" with a single roll, right? Same here.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have never witnessed a player, in any system, as their declaration of intent, go "my character tries to solve everything, what do I roll"

They always propose a concrete action, whether narrative or mechanical, that's applicable to the situation. It's the difference between proposing a solution to the narrative problem and just saying "okay GM I do whatever happens to solve this"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I wasn't sure how someone could mangle a concept as basic as "to do something, do it" but there you go

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The flareups of hyphatitis in this thread are always so uncomfortable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Even ignoring everything else about how wrong hyphz is about this, in Fellowship Overcome contains the provisio "if you are in position to act and have the means to stop it."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also playing any RPG with hyphz must be a chore.

"As you walk into the clearing you see a solitary Orc is sitting by a fire."
"I roll charm to make him my ally."
"OK, how?"
*confused look*
"How are you encouraging the orc to be your ally?"
"...by rolling dice?"
"What are you saying to him? Are you offering him food? Asking to join his fire?"
"I got a 19. Are we friends now?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

If Kai Tave has a wish to do it, he could probably do a better job than I.

I haven't fully digested the material yet - I've been waiting for my hardcover, because in some ways I am still a groggy nerd.

I'm still neck deep in Lancer so if you feel like you've got a better handle on it, go for it.

holy poo poo

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

"As you walk into the clearing you see a solitary Orc is sitting by a fire."
"I roll charm to make him my ally."
"OK, how?"
*confused look*
"How are you encouraging the orc to be your ally?"
"...by rolling dice?"
"What are you saying to him? Are you offering him food? Asking to join his fire?"
"I got a 19. Are we friends now?"

Yea, we've had to do that because the last time we didn't (I was not GM) the party face threw his dice on the floor and demanded to respec because he wasn't being allowed to play a character with better social/deceptive skills than the player.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
And once again we come to the root issue, which is that hyphz desperately needs to beat the poo poo out of everyone he plays with

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What's the best RP system if I'm GMing for a group of unimaginative and violent people

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

What's the best RP system if I'm GMing for a group of unimaginative and violent people

Gamma world maybe?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There's a kernel of truth in hyphz's "play a character with skills the player doesn't have" but if you want to play a game where having charm over 5 solves the encounter why not just play Fallout? I know sometimes when I play, a situation happens that I think my character can overcome but I'm drawing a blank, and I just mention that out of character and the whole group might riff on some solutions, but only from time to time. It's sounds like the group of people you play with hyphz are just fundamentally missing part of the "roleplaying" puzzle pieces.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Pathfinder X-Crawl.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

hyphz posted:

Yea, we've had to do that because the last time we didn't (I was not GM) the party face threw his dice on the floor and demanded to respec because he wasn't being allowed to play a character with better social/deceptive skills than the player.

I have never had a GM let dice be a complete substitute for effort. Regardless of how well you can roll, you still need to actually, y'know, say what you're doing, even if it's just 'my character points out how advantageous an alliance would be and asks the lord to consider their offer'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You don't need to know what your diplomacy +35 character says to convince the king to give him the holy relic, but you do need to describe how the direction the arguement is coming from, if only to discern bonuses and penalties. "I tell him we need it to seal the demon king" makes the test easier than "I think it would look really good as a fashion statement". This isn't a hard concept.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

I think you are actually playing with (and also could be) pod people.

If you actually, factually pull that exact thing (by which I mean "I roll to charm and got a 19. Am I charming enough to charm the orc?" with no other words) then maybe role-playing games just aren't for you. I'm never going to expect/require someone to come up with their own inspiring action movie speech to use their Inspiring merit or whatever, but come the gently caress on at least put in a good faith effort to pretend to know how other people talk when they want to be friendly. If you can't at least muster an "I approach friendly-like and offer him some jerky from my rations, then attempt small talk" then maybe just realize your limitations as a human (or pod person attempting to RP a human who likes RPGs) and just don't make a social character? Or watch some old Bond flicks beforehand? Or literally anything other than throwing a tantrum because the GM is not a computer procedurally generating a bethesda game for you?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

fool_of_sound posted:

And once again we come to the root issue, which is that hyphz desperately needs to beat the poo poo out of everyone he plays with

Including himself.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

fool_of_sound posted:

You don't need to know what your diplomacy +35 character says to convince the king to give him the holy relic, but you do need to describe how the direction the arguement is coming from, if only to discern bonuses and penalties. "I tell him we need it to seal the demon king" makes the test easier than "I think it would look really good as a fashion statement". This isn't a hard concept.

Which is okay until things expect it to be otherwise. I mean, we've all seen those terrible TV shows where the face goes in and says what seems to be obviously just the right thing, when in fact it was just well written to hide the authorial fiat - that in a real situation they'd either to have made a madly lucky guess or have to do a bunch of background investigation and research in order to know that. Then the same people go to GM or write sample adventures where face characters are expected to do the same with either no opportunity to get the background or an insufficiently defined world for that background to exist. "There's an Orc sitting in the clearing, Orcs hate Elves and attack them on sight, you're an Elf but you have +40 Diplomacy, what do you say that matches that skill level?"

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Even if you don't have any ideas just open it to brainstorming from the table and GM as to how your character's doing it - 'hmm i want to diplomatize the king' 'maybe you should reveal that we found out his daughter's plot to murder him' 'oh yeah i go in with that angle' 'don't forget the photos of her conjuring the Dread' 'oh sweet they'll be handy' - it puts everyone on the same page as to what's going on too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hyphz posted:

Which is okay until things expect it to be otherwise. I mean, we've all seen those terrible TV shows where the face goes in and says what seems to be obviously just the right thing, when in fact it was just well written to hide the authorial fiat - that in a real situation they'd either to have made a madly lucky guess or have to do a bunch of background investigation and research in order to know that. Then the same people go to GM or write sample adventures where face characters are expected to do the same with either no opportunity to get the background or an insufficiently defined world for that background to exist. "There's an Orc sitting in the clearing, Orcs hate Elves and attack them on sight, you're an Elf but you have +40 Diplomacy, what do you say that matches that skill level?"

really a lot of your complaints feel like they're boiling down to 'the make believe game forces us to use our imaginations but what if my imagination sucks?'

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

this has all the hallmarks of truly terrible GMing. if orcs hate elves, then the player should know that beforehand. you have to allow for takebacks

and even then, who is asking for a blow-by-blow of a negotiation? all i want to know is a general approach, and the dice will tell us how it goes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

"i wink at him because i'm so hot even elf-hating orcs will get flustered and dorky when i hit on them"

"i act like a stereotypical orc and convince him i'm not like the prissy elves he's been taught to hate and am instead 'one of the good ones'"

"i stare him down unblinkingly because i've been taught that that's a sign of respect among orcs, he sees what going for before he takes a swing at me"

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Brother Entropy posted:

really a lot of your complaints feel like they're boiling down to 'the make believe game forces us to use our imaginations but what if my imagination sucks?'

That is actually something I feel about a lot of things - not about using imagination at all but when certain rules expect the players (and especially the GM) to be a bottomless fount of new ideas.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I regret to inform you that if your brain stops spontaneously generating ideas, you are dead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hyphz posted:

That is actually something I feel about a lot of things - not about using imagination at all but when certain rules expect the players (and especially the GM) to be a bottomless fount of new ideas.

If you can't even come up with simple ideas then yes, roleplaying games that expect you to come up with simple ideas may be a problem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

If you can't even come up with simple ideas then yes, roleplaying games that expect you to come up with simple ideas may be a problem.

And you may be the target audience for D&D 5e.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dungeons and dragons truly is satan's game

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s called dungeons and dragons not thespians and theosophy :colbert:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

And you may be the target audience for D&D 5e.

:stare:

I didn't keep up, but did all that much really change between 4e and 5e? Or 3.5/Pathfinder and 5e? I'm pretty sure that no matter what rpg, you still need to come up with ideas.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Bedlamdan posted:

:stare:

I didn't keep up, but did all that much really change between 4e and 5e?

:eyepop:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

5E redeeming feature is that I can play it even if the other cretins on the group want to play 3.5 only so having a better, if not completely fixed version of it works wonders.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

5E redeeming feature is that I can play it even if the other cretins on the group want to play 3.5 only so having a better, if not completely fixed version of it works wonders.

in no way is 5e better than 3e unless you're too much of a simpleton to grasp basic arithmetic

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

in no way is 5e better than 3e unless you're too much of a simpleton to grasp basic arithmetic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here's the situation where I'd seriously propose 5e:

A mixed group between people who won't accept anything but D&D-likes, and beginners or people who actively dislike 3e's crunch. 5e replaces 3e's crunch with wishful thinking but as a GM I can work around that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gradenko_2000 posted:

does not having a bajillion bloated supplements count as better?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

the best parts of 3e come in the "bajillion bloated supplements", because just lol at trying to play 3e with the PHB only

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

no

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gradenko_2000 posted:

the best parts of 3e come in the "bajillion bloated supplements", because just lol at trying to play 3e with the PHB only

there aren't any good parts of 3e but i get your point

truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Nothing like a nice fun bit of edition warring to cleanse the palate after another PbtA debate.