Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1032418125130686465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

It's not even the funniest Friday the 13th.

Jason Lives is obviously the better movie, yes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

First reaction is that I hate Lena Dunham, second is that she's the kind of idiot who would join a cult so maybe it's actually inspired casting. I still have some reservations about him reservations about him glamming up a real world spree killing even if it was 50 years ago.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
She's probably gonna be in the movie for all of a minute but still: stunt casting isn't cool, Quentin.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Considering the type of poo poo Tarentino makes his actors do, I don't really give a poo poo for whose in his films and who they're playing. With him I just sorta see actors as dolls that he galivants in front of the camera, rather than artists with very specific voices influencing the film.

Not to downplay the craft or the performances. Django would not have worked if it wasn't for Jamie Foxx, nor Inglorious Bastards without Waltz. But for the most part I just sorta get the sense that his actors really pick up his vibe and really play towards that, rather than their own voices or characters.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

But for the most part I just sorta get the sense that his actors really pick up his vibe and really play towards that, rather than their own voices or characters.

The Lloyd Kaufman School of Directing, but probably with far less humiliation and definitely less open defecation.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

A human heart posted:

The guillotines in the french revolution were badass, and how else are you going to get rid of all those pesky aristocrats?

Guillotines are a quick mercy. A living death that extends to their children and children's children is what you do so you breed it out of their natures over multiple generations so it sticks.

If you're going the horror route. (I kid, I kid)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tarantino breaks guitars and people thank him for it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

dirksteadfast posted:

I guess the better question is why fund it now? He couldn’t sell it for over 20 years and unless the ads are super misleading the missing ingredient was “Melissa McCarthy goofs”. I have nothing against her, but I don’t think her last few movies did well enough to enable her to sell an unsellable movie. Unless she’s the one bankrolling most of it. Which only confuses me more because if you’re that passionate about getting it made I’d think you’d keep more of the project’s integrity intact.

Man, I used to think movies were cool and fun to make. Thanks CD for crushing my childhood dreams by showing me how the sausage is made.

People just need to make cool movies again. I just watched Batman '89 at the cinerama and it's still amazing, none of the marvel movies are even half as good.

Speaking of batman, was there ever a version where he was inverted, like after his parents died he became homeless on the streets and became the "Street Rat" and beats up white collar criminals, like bosses stealing tips?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

First reaction is that I hate Lena Dunham, second is that she's the kind of idiot who would join a cult so maybe it's actually inspired casting. I still have some reservations about him reservations about him glamming up a real world spree killing even if it was 50 years ago.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be like Inglorious Basterds meets Helter Skelter, in which it's a fantasy depiction of the Tate murders.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

That's some pretty perfect casting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure this is going to be like Inglorious Basterds meets Helter Skelter, in which it's a fantasy depiction of the Tate murders.

Is she going to be the Mike Meyers of the movie, in weird makeup in a scene you can't tell if it's a joke or not?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Young Freud posted:

That's what I was thinking. Which is what I'm uneasy about. Of course Polanski is the about only living person who can claim victim status here, but no one cares what that piece of poo poo thinks.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Is she going to be the Mike Meyers of the movie, in weird makeup in a scene you can't tell if it's a joke or not?

I'm kinda down on Inglourious Basterds overall but the Mike Meyers scene is great

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Freddy vs. Jason, Friday the 13th (2009), I could even see an argument for 3 or 4.

Of course, the champ is:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LesterGroans posted:

Freddy vs. Jason, Friday the 13th (2009), I could even see an argument for 3 or 4.

Of course, the champ is:

What about Jason Takes (some guy's head off with one punch on the rooftops of) Manhattan?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Grendels Dad posted:

What about Jason Takes (some guy's head off with one punch on the rooftops of) Manhattan?

It definitely has some good gags when it actually gets to Manhattan, but overall it's pretty boring. I don't care for Jason X, but it's probably funnier.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

got any sevens posted:

People just need to make cool movies again. I just watched Batman '89 at the cinerama and it's still amazing, none of the marvel movies are even half as good.

Speaking of batman, was there ever a version where he was inverted, like after his parents died he became homeless on the streets and became the "Street Rat" and beats up white collar criminals, like bosses stealing tips?

I think Darren Aronofsky's version of Batman Begins was kind of like this, with a homeless Bruce Wayne driving around a Lincoln Continental with a baseball bat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

None of the comic book movies which have come out in the past 10 years have had costumes, make-up, sets, art direction and possibly music as good as the Warren Beatty-starring and directed Dick Tracy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

None of the comic book movies which have come out in the past 10 years have had costumes, make-up, sets, art direction and possibly music as good as the Warren Beatty-starring and directed Dick Tracy.

Uhh how could you forget Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

Uhh how could you forget Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad?

Dick Tracy won three Academy Awards so it is objectively better. :smug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

More or less, yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hollywood should bring back matte paintings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They never went away.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They never went away.

You mean, at least as an in-camera effect? I can see matte painting being significant part of modern digital composition, it's just done on computers in post instead of in front of a camera.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Instead of asking which Jason film is the best, ask instead which Jason design is the best.

I think my favorite is the Freddy vs Jason design.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any event, Dick Tracy is probably the best of the various Batman '89 copycats.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Davros1 posted:

Instead of asking which Jason film is the best, ask instead which Jason design is the best.

I think my favorite is the Freddy vs Jason design.

This is hard. I'm really partial to the iconic simplicity of Manhattan, but New Blood is just fantastic for being true to his history.

Honourable mention to Jason X. For how little focus it got compared to ÜberJason, it was such a nice tight design.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Young Freud posted:

You mean, at least as an in-camera effect? I can see matte painting being significant part of modern digital composition, it's just done on computers in post instead of in front of a camera.

Right, if anything it's more pronounced than ever. I guess it would just all fall under the rubric of "CGI", nevertheless the purpose is exactly the same.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is hard. I'm really partial to the iconic simplicity of Manhattan, but New Blood is just fantastic for being true to his history.

Honourable mention to Jason X. For how little focus it got compared to ÜberJason, it was such a nice tight design.

Yup. New Blood is tops for me, with regular degular Jason X a close second.

New Blood’s design is so loving dope tho.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/AMCTheatres/status/1032673853837783040

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

In any event, Dick Tracy is probably the best of the various Batman '89 copycats.

It's so weird to me that the result of Batman 89's success was a bunch of other studios making movies based on 30s pulp characters and not superheroes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Almost Blue posted:

It's so weird to me that the result of Batman 89's success was a bunch of other studios making movies based on 30s pulp characters and not superheroes.

And the one relatively recent superhero comic that was adapted was... the Rocketeer, an homage to 30s pulp characters. :D

I think The Phantom is the most disappointing of all of them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hellboy 2?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Phantom smote evil, though. And it had Billy Zane, with his perpetual eyeliner creeping out to cover all of his eye area. What's not to like?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Phantom smote evil, though.

Slammed evil. The Phantom's MO was to Slam Evil!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I rewatched The Rocketeer a couple of years ago, and I gotta tell you, outside of the finale and that rad-rear end costume, that is a s-l-o-w movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Phantom smote evil, though. And it had Billy Zane, with his perpetual eyeliner creeping out to cover all of his eye area. What's not to like?

There's lots of things to like on their own but it's less than the sum of its parts for me.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Almost Blue posted:

drat. I never put two and two together but that explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was also the one big original superhero movie: you know the one I mean.