Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Sup thread.watch trial & error: lady killer. We need more goofball comedies. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Paramount's Yellowstone show is incredibly popular. As in it is the highest rated show in the history of the network (including Spike/TNN) and is the second highest rated cable show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I actually had to go check, but apparently Married with Children was only 11 seasons, so this does break the season record, although for a very specific category of multi cam sitcom.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just rewatched The Leftovers episode International Assassin on a whim. gently caress me this show is so loving good. Why are the only people talking about this a handful of critics and like 4 goons.

I think this show has the best ending of any tv show ever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrVenkman posted:

https://twitter.com/WEarlBrown/status/1032107517801889793

Not a lot more detail he revealed other than sadly Titus Welliver can't return. But there will be a 10 year time jump.

loving cocksucker!

Can we just take a moment to remember where everyone is now in their careers.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 23, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Popelmon posted:

I just rewatched The Leftovers episode International Assassin on a whim. gently caress me this show is so loving good. Why are the only people talking about this a handful of critics and like 4 goons.

I had no idea how they were going to end it on a satisfying note but they did it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, that ending was great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hugh Laurie is going to star in Armando Iannucci's next HBO series, Avenue 5 where he'll play the (American) captain of the titular spaceship.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

muscles like this! posted:

Hugh Laurie is going to star in Armando Iannucci's next HBO series, Avenue 5 where he'll play the (American) captain of the titular spaceship.

Well, gently caress, I'm all in.

Popelmon posted:

That episode is so loving good and Va, pensiero was an inspired choice of music. Hell, I'm probably going to rewatch that episode tonight

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I still the only one who thinks season 1 of Leftovers was better than 2? :(

edit: talking of music, I've been rewatching Patriot (yes again) and I swear it has the best opening song of any show ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHm4PgpNBA

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

edit: talking of music, I've been rewatching Patriot (yes again) and I swear it has the best opening song of any show ever

nah we're leftovers twins. though i'd say equally good rather than 2 being worse. but 2 took me an episode or two to really get into while S1 hooked me right away

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 is monumentally better than season 1. Intro is better, characters are better, and they got rid of the dead weight from season 1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently Paramount's Yellowstone show is incredibly popular. As in it is the highest rated show in the history of the network (including Spike/TNN) and is the second highest rated cable show.

Is that the Kevin Costner one? I heard it wasn’t very good, too bad because his last TV role was his best performance I thought

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

nah we're leftovers twins. though i'd say equally good rather than 2 being worse. but 2 took me an episode or two to really get into while S1 hooked me right away

Yeah it's a slight edge but the things most people didn't like about season 1 are the things I loved (especially all the Grieving Remnant stuff)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

The whole album that song is from is really good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

The whole album that song is from is really good

It's kinda crazy how few people know about her. Reminds me of how nobody cared about Nick Drake until that VW commercial in the late 90s.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

precision posted:

Yeah it's a slight edge but the things most people didn't like about season 1 are the things I loved (especially all the Grieving Remnant stuff)

You loved it so much but not enough to remember their name :cheeky:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I really liked the Guilty Remnant plot in the first season. Wasn't a big fan of the seemingly genuine mythology stuff that crept into the later seasons, but the episodes that pushed the feet of clay angle, like the boat episode in Season 3, were pretty good.

(Needless to say that I wasn't on board with the dream episodes, but I thought the finale was fine, if a little too obviously easy about some things.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can’t really objectively compare S1 and S2. I’m always going to have a soft spot for S1 because it was mostly filmed in a town I used to work in so I’m always recognizing random poo poo in the background.

I think they’re both fantastic stretches of TV, though 3 may top them both.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 1 had the great Christopher Eccleston episode. I don't think they gave him another episode like that again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They gave him one every season haha. I think the boat one is the best. But then I never really liked the first season’s ep because it’s too full of itself and like “LOOK, this is like a PARABLE, it’s IMPORTANT and we are VERY CLEVER FOR MAKING IT”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but I think it's important because I was about to give up on the show before that episode aired. I actually don't remember the boat one so welp I guess I'm binging the show again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

They gave him one every season haha. I think the boat one is the best. But then I never really liked the first season’s ep because it’s too full of itself and like “LOOK, this is like a PARABLE, it’s IMPORTANT and we are VERY CLEVER FOR MAKING IT”

It's sandwiched between the missing bagel and the missing Jesus episode, so it's already better by contrast.

Doesn't the missing Jesus also feature missing shirts too?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Even though the Matt episodes are the easily some of the best episodes of the series, the best scene he had was towards the very end with him and Nora on the beach. That poo poo had me in tears.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone watch Harlots on Hulu

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Does anyone watch Harlots on Hulu

No but I saw the AV Club’s article earlier and noticed it stars Samantha Morton and Lesley Manville and now I’m very interested

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah AV Club is the only place I've ever seen it mentioned but they really like it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm asking here because CD is annoying. I've never seen Top Gun. Just snippets. I have no idea what it's about other than Goose dies and Tom Cruise gets laid. Would it be good or has that ship sailed for me and I should have watched it in the 80's? I ask because the sequel drops next summer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Top Gun loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKlYpP1KEE

Only the Miami Vice pilot intro rivals that for insanely good 80's openers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

So I'm asking here because CD is annoying. I've never seen Top Gun. Just snippets. I have no idea what it's about other than Goose dies and Tom Cruise gets laid. Would it be good or has that ship sailed for me and I should have watched it in the 80's? I ask because the sequel drops next summer.

You'll finally understand all those DANGER ZONE references they make on Archer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Top Gun isn't very good. I love the Top Gun ride at Universal Studios but that's it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well I just looked up the plot summary and I think "Goose dies and Tom Cruise gets laid." kind of nailed it. Maybe I did see it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Looking for some Netflix poo poo to watch when too tired after work to do anything else, are either of American Vandal or End of the loving World good?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Zerilan posted:

Looking for some Netflix poo poo to watch when too tired after work to do anything else, are either of American Vandal or End of the loving World good?

American Vandal is absolutely fantastic. It also won a peabody award.

End of the loving World I haven't seen but I've also seen nothing but praise for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Top Gun isn't very good. I love the Top Gun ride at Universal Studios but that's it.

Mother...fucker.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Is that the Kevin Costner one? I heard it wasn’t very good, too bad because his last TV role was his best performance I thought

That's it. I watched the first episode and then stopped, it was fairly dull.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zerilan posted:

American Vandal is one of the funniest things I watched last year. It’s also the most accurate depiction of high school/teenagers I’ve ever seen.

Plus the showrunner is a guy I know from college, so there’s that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Well I just looked up the plot summary and I think "Goose dies and Tom Cruise gets laid." kind of nailed it. Maybe I did see it.

You feel the need. The need to read (a wikipedia summary of one of the top action films of the 80s :eng99: )

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

asecondduck posted:

American Vandal is one of the funniest things I watched last year. It’s also the most accurate depiction of high school/teenagers I’ve ever seen.

It also wrapped up in a surprisingly poignant and affecting finale - it was fantastic and funny throughout, but it also managed to have a point and deliver a message in a way that didn't feel out of place or saccharine. That's really why I feel like it's something special. At the end, it makes you think.

It would have been easy enough to be a one-note dick joke and be funny. It never loses track of its joke, but it also never capitulates to being easy or lazy. It's the elevation of a dick joke into legitimate art, with something to say about society, without sacrificing the humor. That's a hell of a dick joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ashpanash posted:

American Vandal is absolutely fantastic. It also won a peabody award.

End of the loving World I haven't seen but I've also seen nothing but praise for it.

Yeah end of the loving world's trailer had me interested but I thought I had remembered american vandal be praised on here before, while the former i haven't seen talked about any.