Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Is Sagat any good? A friend of mine was interested in him.

It's still early days, so who knows what's gonna stick, but a lot of SFV folk seem to think his fireball game is very legitimate, something no other shoto has in SFV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anything good he has will be patched out immediately

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Tiger shots are removed. Vtrugger 1 is modified so it shoots tiger shots instead of tiger cannons.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
G is good. He is everything and all.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
G has a special move he does when he stands still for about 20 seconds he owns

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
G's mobility is terrible, his poor AAs make his zoning ineffective and overly risky, his momentum-based gameplay means he's Hakan with less guarantee of conversion and his lack of good defensive options means that he'll be at the mercy of the same throw loops and meaty setups that every other character who has the same issue are

Sagat is like a less good SF4 Sagat which is weird because even a less good SF4 Sagat feels too good for this game so I expect him to be heavily nerfed

That said his buttons are atrociously slow and it's actually less risky to throw a fireball in neutral than it is to throw a standing normal

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Goodpart posted:

Sagat is like a less good SF4 Sagat which is weird because even a less good SF4 Sagat feels too good for this game so I expect him to be heavily nerfed

That said his buttons are atrociously slow and it's actually less risky to throw a fireball in neutral than it is to throw a standing normal

...So in other words, he plays like SF2 Sagat?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Goodpart posted:

G's mobility is terrible, his poor AAs

Do you even vskill bro

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Real hurthling! posted:

You can get wins with fang cause nobody knows wtf he can do

this also includes anyone playing FANG

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
G is

pretty good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I want to like G but I'm having some real trouble using him. Are any of his jump-in attacks not poo poo? And his anti-airs? His V-skill is OK but it's got a slow startup. And his specials are terrible unless you use them in a combo since they are so slow. Most of the time the opponent just jabs him before the attack hits. Which attacks are reasonably safe to use?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Renoistic posted:

I want to like G but I'm having some real trouble using him. Are any of his jump-in attacks not poo poo? And his anti-airs? His V-skill is OK but it's got a slow startup. And his specials are terrible unless you use them in a combo since they are so slow. Most of the time the opponent just jabs him before the attack hits. Which attacks are reasonably safe to use?

His vskill is literally unbeatable from the air once it's out, active for like 13 frames. If you need something faster, bhp and cr.hp work fine

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Double Bill posted:

Do you even vskill bro

Cammy eats this poo poo up free

Renoistic posted:

His splash is good. bHP is a great AA at the right angles. Always cancel into qcfMK afterwards and you can get your charges up easily.

I don't really know what the gameplan is with him since the only thing he does especially well is steamroll once he's got charge, but even then starting things off requires a stray hit. His normals are stubby, he's slow, his projectile is atrocious. I figure you're just meant to stall, lure them in, and catch them with the hit that starts your offense, but really he's not that scary in any situation aside from the raw damage that he can do. He lacks +frames on CC buttons to be properly scary up close.

He loses to rushdown, he loses to a strong footsie game, he loses to grapplers, though I think he beats zoning. But this is SF5 where everyone beats zoning, so

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Goodpart posted:

Cammy eats this poo poo up free

Please elaborate, because her dive kick sure doesn't.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

President
Of
The
World

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That attack has a long rear end startup despite the hitbox, if you do it preemptively it works, otherwise you're getting murdered.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks, I guess I'll practice AA and bnb combos. As long as I consistently manage to get full charge he can be pretty scary. If my opponent manages to corner me I'm pretty much dead, though.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

A.o.D. posted:

Please elaborate, because her dive kick sure doesn't.
this:

Dias posted:

That attack has a long rear end startup despite the hitbox, if you do it preemptively it works, otherwise you're getting murdered.
is why.

If you time it to the start of the jump to catch an early divekick it'll work if she actually does it, but whiff if she doesn't. If you time it to mid-jump it'll catch a raw jump in, but get beaten by a divekick assuming the jump arc is right.

Even Nemo has some issues with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRj7QihLmLc

He successfully AAs a divekick once with shield, and that's with VT popped. Every other time it's an air to air, I think one crHP and the rest were just blocked or failed.

It's actually really reassuring to see Nemo struggle with the same problems with the character that I've been having :shobon:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

President Power!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Goodpart posted:

this:

is why.

If you time it to the start of the jump to catch an early divekick it'll work if she actually does it, but whiff if she doesn't. If you time it to mid-jump it'll catch a raw jump in, but get beaten by a divekick assuming the jump arc is right.

Even Nemo has some issues with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRj7QihLmLc

He successfully AAs a divekick once with shield, and that's with VT popped. Every other time it's an air to air, I think one crHP and the rest were just blocked or failed.

It's actually really reassuring to see Nemo struggle with the same problems with the character that I've been having :shobon:

You linked a video where Nemo dropped every single one of his punishes in round one, and he attempts a v-skill anti air that is snuffed. However, everything he did that round the timing was off. Later in that same video, Nemo has clearly found his groove and even wins a round with a v-skill anti-air. I'm not sure you've proven your point.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
I mean I could link to a whole host of other G v Cammy videos where other players like Sako and RB struggle with the same issue but sure

Sako's most common AA option is jump back LP if that's any indication

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Real hurthling! posted:

You can get wins with fang cause nobody knows wtf he can do

I was pretty much about to quit SFV and then I saw Xian doing "The Wall of China" with FANG on Excellent Adventures where he was just annoying the poo poo out of people by alternating the arcing fireballs and the ground-spout fireball thing and I thought it'd be fun to run around playing zone in this game that has no zoning.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whoa is that a real costume color?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I was pretty much about to quit SFV and then I saw Xian doing "The Wall of China" with FANG on Excellent Adventures where he was just annoying the poo poo out of people by alternating the arcing fireballs and the ground-spout fireball thing and I thought it'd be fun to run around playing zone in this game that has no zoning.

He's a blast to play as. What kills me about him is his useless v-triggers. It's criminal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah he had a fun game and combos even beyond the zoning stuff but I haven't played in a long rear end time and heard all the updates have nerfed him which sounds very SFV so I just assumed it's true.

He didn't deserve any but I could imagine people demanding his cr.mk move get whacked because it was real fun to spam and see if the other person knew what to do sort of like Laura's standing mk

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

whoa is that a real costume color?

Color 15 for his story costume.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Colour 14 is the one true colour because it's The Mask and I've received more "sssssssmokin" messages than rage messages since getting it, which can only be a good thing

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Smokin!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Appropriate, since he tells you to Light It Up every time he does his super.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Boy, between G's idle Michael Jackson animations and the price gouging for trivial content, these guys really get American culture. 20k FM for one color is stupid as poo poo. Yes I bought it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Sucks to be excited about a character for the first time since launch and then go up against a guile for the third time straight and remember, oh yeah, this game is retarded poo poo.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I've gotta say the game feels pretty good these days... anyone else having fun or is everyone still sipping on the haterade?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Sagat is fun and reminds me of playing SF 2

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I tried again for the first time in forever

Kolins vt2 isn't as fun as her vt1

It loads faster

That's all I got

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got to gold with Ed on PC and I still don't like the game

Is this what you wanted?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I've gotta say the game feels pretty good these days... anyone else having fun or is everyone still sipping on the haterade?
im enjoying it, but i left the goonsgarden discord. not active enough/too much useless sarcasm

i go to other communities to talk about fgs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unist is out on pc tho

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have a SFV group at work that does a tournament each month. It's a good time and I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with G.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I'm having fun learning Falke and Kolin tbh. Might try some Sagat as well.

Game is fun for me again for the first time since around launch tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I bought G and Sagat and some colors and costumes for both and haven't played them at all, because Cody is so fun. Pre-VT he's like a much better Ryu, and with the pipe he becomes a different character with some great tricks and setups.