Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Stoca Zola posted:

I googled halfheartedly and could not find a single thing one way or the other regarding high ammonia levels - tons of people had anecdotes of their filters cycling just fine and plants not being burned on high ammonia fish free cycles. Who knows. People learn about the numbers and then fixate on hitting the "right" numbers I guess.

Yeah. First Google result for 'amazonia cycling' for me has a guy saying 95% water changes daily for a few days before even planting. I mean, I'm sure it works to do that and I guess people would rather be safe than sorry, but I put in wisteria and water lettuce day 1 and they were fine, planted the rest a few days later, all fine. I even saw a stowaway pond snail on the glass this morning! So if that can survive until now, that's four days since planting, and I've literally only changed 4 gallons of the 48 in the tank since it was first setup, then these people who do massive water changes are just wasting water, simple as that...

Stoca Zola posted:

I had a leaky tank scare yesterday

This is scary stuff for me - a new aquarium should last a decade before having to worry about the silicone, right?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Yes! And with some of the more modern stronger silicones you could get 20 years or longer I'd imagine. This was an old beater tank with existing silicone peeling off and realistically I probably shouldn't have put anything in it at all. But I had to test it for water tightness to see if I'd done a decent job of resealing it, and then once it held water I couldn't help myself. Checked again today and there is not a trace of dampness. I think I must have spilled enough that it wicked under the tank and took a while to dry properly which is why the water seemed to keep coming.

I've just done the final rounds before bed and found something cool in one of my tanks, some freshwater bryozoans! I had a colony before but I mistook it for a piece of sphagnum moss that had fallen in and become covered in hydra so I took it out and let it dry out :doh:

They seem to cohabit with susswassertang and I must have moved a piece from tank to tank because the new colony is in a different tank. I've had tiny colonies of smaller sessile filter feeders before, these guys are a bit bigger and more complex than the little vorticella dudes. Super zoomed up pic:

They're called moss animals because the tube houses they live in form branching structures that look like moss at a glance but they are like little featherduster worms or something. I tried feeding them with spirulina powder and they didn't seem interested but they went nuts for microworms so I'm going to try and grow up the colony into something bigger and see what happens.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Maybe this is just a normal new planted tank thing but I’ve got a billion tiny white worms (detritus worms?) swimming around in the water column. They don’t seem to be hurting anything and the shrimp/snail don’t care, so I assume they’ll disappear in time? I kinda wish I had a microscope to get a better look at them!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you have a crappy old webcam that you don’t have drivers for any more, you might have a lens in that that you can use as a pretty decent magnifier! Webcam lenses take a wide view and focus it on to a tiny sensor so all you have to do is reverse the lens to make something tiny look big.

I started out keeping tiny tanks full of pond life and snails before I ever had fish and I found I got some pretty decent photos of worms and different greeblies using an old webcam lens poster-puttied onto my phone camera. You can really only focus on stuff that is on the glass of the tank, anything else is too far away but there is plenty of interesting stuff to see just the same.

Here’s an example of a video I took:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld_dgXTfEl8

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Bloop's grown another whole inch! Also the little shiny bits on his belly have gone matte like they're supposed to be on a black moor goldfish and he's learning to come up to the top of the tank when I gently tap on the top when I feed him. :kimchi:

When I get paid next I'm getting some nice new plants for his tank.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna buy some plants for my tank sometime this week but I'm debating a minor aquascaping renovation of the tank. Just some more rocks I can build a cliff with, maybe bagging some of the gravel up to make a mound, and using some dirt or dark resin for different color patterns. Maybe a piece of driftwood with some moss attached if i can find something.

I can't really do that with the fish and water in obviously but I'm debating buying another 20G and aquascaping that and then just transferring all the water and filter over or just pulling all the water into buckets and aquascaping and doing a partial water change or something.

But either way as long as my guys are in something clean and with their old water and not left to linger too long they should be fine, right?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Stoca Zola posted:

If you have a crappy old webcam that you don’t have drivers for any more, you might have a lens in that that you can use as a pretty decent magnifier! Webcam lenses take a wide view and focus it on to a tiny sensor so all you have to do is reverse the lens to make something tiny look big.

I started out keeping tiny tanks full of pond life and snails before I ever had fish and I found I got some pretty decent photos of worms and different greeblies using an old webcam lens poster-puttied onto my phone camera. You can really only focus on stuff that is on the glass of the tank, anything else is too far away but there is plenty of interesting stuff to see just the same.

Here’s an example of a video I took:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld_dgXTfEl8

No webcam lens available- but I did find the lens from an old photo enlarger, which makes a pretty cool gigantic magnifying glass. If I run across a cheap webcam anywhere I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Luneshot posted:

They don’t seem to be hurting anything and the shrimp/snail don’t care, so I assume they’ll disappear in time?

Yeah I've always seen these when starting up a new tank, but they disappear after a month or so, usually.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
For full disclosure, I did have to do a bigger water change last night, as I noticed the roots of the water lettuce were starting to get burned a bit. Must be more sensitive to ammonia than the other plants. Got it back down to .5 for now, anyways.

I noticed my shrimp in my nano tank were bugging out this morning but nothing was out of the ordinary, so I'm hoping that maybe a female molted and released some pheromones. There was one that was basically doing flips.

Tank is clearing up...

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 21, 2018

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I've made a huuuuge mistake. When remineralizing my RO water using seachem equilibrium I wasn't adding enough to make the calcium and magnesium levels sufficient. The Ca and Mg ppm were 14 and 4 respectively. I thought that would be enough but I see stunted growth, and melt in some of the older leaves. I know its not nitrate, phosphate, or micros since I O.D. on osmocote. Hopefully it turns around with the new RO mix, now using 1gram of equalibirum per gallon of RO water. Using this calculator: http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php shows

code:
Your addition of 1 g (equivalent to less than 1/64 tsp) Seachem Equilibrium to your 1gal aquarium adds:
Element	ppm/degree
K2O	60.76
K	51.51
Ca	21.29
Mg	6.37
Fe	0.29
Mn	0.16

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 21, 2018

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Synthbuttrange posted:

a tank that looks like it has saltwater fish but surprise, they're freshwater
:v: Oh so lake cichlids

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

:v: Oh so lake cichlids

With a very blue light, I'm guessing :-P

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So lets say hypothetically I went to a bunch of lumber and masonry places seeing if I could find a place to buy some rocks for my aquarium, and lets say I got frustrated and confused and at some point I bent down in a parking lot and scooped up a bag full of rocks around the right size and shape I wanted. Now lets say i do something like wash them in vinegar and, I don't know, throw them in a baking dish and toss them in the over for 20 minutes to kill anything.

Would it hypothetically be ok to put them in a fish tank?

edit: The internet seems to suggest its a dumb idea because it can raise my PH but seems to say I could test it with vinegar and dump it in a bucket of aquarium water and leave it for a few days and see if the PH changes. So I think I'd hypothetical do that if I did something as silly as pick up random rocks and shove them in a shopping bag.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 21, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

STAC Goat posted:

So lets say hypothetically I went to a bunch of lumber and masonry places seeing if I could find a place to buy some rocks for my aquarium, and lets say I got frustrated and confused and at some point I bent down in a parking lot and scooped up a bag full of rocks around the right size and shape I wanted. Now lets say i do something like wash them in vinegar and, I don't know, throw them in a baking dish and toss them in the over for 20 minutes to kill anything.

Would it hypothetically be ok to put them in a fish tank?

edit: The internet seems to suggest its a dumb idea because it can raise my PH but seems to say I could test it with vinegar and dump it in a bucket of aquarium water and leave it for a few days and see if the PH changes. So I think I'd hypothetical do that if I did something as silly as pick up random rocks and shove them in a shopping bag.

Yeah, it's probably fine if you wash and soak them, then test the soak water to see if anything weird happened. Boiling them may also speed up any chemical reactions that are going to happen, and kill anything alive on the rocks, but probably isn't necessary. Vinegar will also kill most things that could be living on them. Vinegar is cheap, so you might as well leave them soaking in it for an hour to see if any bubbles appear.

Don't use rocks that have any obviously metallic or rusty streaks. Don't use rocks that are soft enough to crumble between your fingers with a little pressure. Don't use any oddly colourful rocks, especially green rocks, green rocks may contain copper compounds which can be harmful to invertebrates. Toss any rocks that seem to have paint on them. Toss any rocks that seem to have an oily or sticky residue.

Basic parking lot gravel is probably mostly granite, which is fine. The white rocks are usually quartz, which is fine (beware of chalky white rocks though).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm probably just gonna ditch them. It was just kind of a frustrated action because I had just visited 3 places and found myself at a massive landscapers masonry yard where I guess I was supposed to dig through a giant mount of river rocks and pick a few out and find someone to buy them from for some random price? I got actually lost in the place and confused and just gave up out of frustration. So then I did the dumb parking lot thing.

But like... I dunno. I'll probably do the vinegar thing tomorrow for the hell of it but they'll probably just end up back outside. Its not like they're even pretty or anything. It was just a gut reaction. It was a weird day of visiting like half a dozen hardware, masonry, and pet stores and I was just tired.

I bought some plants (and some rocks from the pet store that feel really overprices for rocks, but whatever) and gave a go at aquascaping. I don't hate it but I made some obvious mistakes. I'll take some photos tomorrow when I get done tinkering, the water cleans up, and I move the goldfish back from their temporary 5G sleepover. Right now I can't see a thing even after a water change. I guess that's the biggest hassle with having soil in my tank. When I tinker it kicks up dirt.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 22, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

I've made a huuuuge mistake. When remineralizing my RO water using seachem equilibrium I wasn't adding enough to make the calcium and magnesium levels sufficient. The Ca and Mg ppm were 14 and 4 respectively. I thought that would be enough but I see stunted growth, and melt in some of the older leaves. I know its not nitrate, phosphate, or micros since I O.D. on osmocote. Hopefully it turns around with the new RO mix, now using 1gram of equalibirum per gallon of RO water. Using this calculator: http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php shows

I thought about using RO water since my local fish store sells it, but what's the point if you have to add poo poo to it?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It's for consistency! If you have town treated water then they won't always tell you if they accidentally overdosed chlorine or the lime they use to protect pipelines, if they did work on the pipes and now stuff might leach into the water, if your local reservoir is drying up and becoming more saline, if flooding is bringing more farming run off into the water supply, etc. There's a wide range of water parameters that are safe for human domestic usage and consumption but are not safe for fish to live in.

Plenty of fishkeepers have lost entire tanks of livestock due to bad water changes and it feels so horrible.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

I'm probably just gonna ditch them. It was just kind of a frustrated action because I had just visited 3 places and found myself at a massive landscapers masonry yard where I guess I was supposed to dig through a giant mount of river rocks and pick a few out and find someone to buy them from for some random price? I got actually lost in the place and confused and just gave up out of frustration. So then I did the dumb parking lot thing.

But like... I dunno. I'll probably do the vinegar thing tomorrow for the hell of it but they'll probably just end up back outside. Its not like they're even pretty or anything. It was just a gut reaction. It was a weird day of visiting like half a dozen hardware, masonry, and pet stores and I was just tired.

I bought some plants (and some rocks from the pet store that feel really overprices for rocks, but whatever) and gave a go at aquascaping. I don't hate it but I made some obvious mistakes. I'll take some photos tomorrow when I get done tinkering, the water cleans up, and I move the goldfish back from their temporary 5G sleepover. Right now I can't see a thing even after a water change. I guess that's the biggest hassle with having soil in my tank. When I tinker it kicks up dirt.

Did you cap your soil with gravel of some sort? Just a quarter to a half inch or so. Helps keep it from kicking up.

Gut reactions are fine for aquascaping... that's what I would rely on primarily.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I thought about using RO water since my local fish store sells it, but what's the point if you have to add poo poo to it?

Stoca Zola posted:

It's for consistency! If you have town treated water then they won't always tell you if they accidentally overdosed chlorine or the lime they use to protect pipelines, if they did work on the pipes and now stuff might leach into the water, if your local reservoir is drying up and becoming more saline, if flooding is bringing more farming run off into the water supply, etc. There's a wide range of water parameters that are safe for human domestic usage and consumption but are not safe for fish to live in.

Plenty of fishkeepers have lost entire tanks of livestock due to bad water changes and it feels so horrible.
Yeah! In this county, the tap water is generally getting close to the low end of what you want for lake cichlids. But if there's a lot of precipitation runoff - usually like a week or more of rain in the summer, but also after major snow in the winter with a week to a month delay because of the melt time - the pH can drop under 6 and the water hardness can just disappear. And because tanks are on interval water changes, there's no acclimation time, it just straight up shocks all the fish and often wipes out the bacteria too.
And how do most fishkeepers learn about such changes happening in their water system? By losing a tank. When I was selling fish I started preemptively telling people to watch the weather because it's a horrible experience to have your tank suddenly get hosed up by your water supply and then be told "oh yeah this is a regular seasonal thing we've actually known about the whole time."

Now, if you're aware of that kind of thing happening, you can still easily compensate adequately for most fish. Aquarium fish have been farmed in all sorts of conditions for so long their range of tolerated conditions has expanded considerably. But if you don't want to deal with that on the fly and would rather have complete control, if you have very particular fish that require very specific and stable parameters, if your water is normally in such a condition that it's an even bigger pain in the rear end to get it to where you want it, then you start with a blank slate. RO water is that blank slate.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

As the others have said its for consistency since I can't use tap water, its too hard over 400ppm TDS. I used to mix RO with tap but even that was a guessing game. Figuring out how much tap to mix with RO to match what I used last time and whats in the tank. Now, hopefully if I can find the right dose, I just need to add 1 gram and seachem equilibrium per gallon of RO water.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mozi posted:

Did you cap your soil with gravel of some sort? Just a quarter to a half inch or so. Helps keep it from kicking up.

Gut reactions are fine for aquascaping... that's what I would rely on primarily.

I used way too much soil and that's really the source of my problems. Then I tried to scoop some out and it got mixed up in the gravel and then I had gravel and soil mix and... it was just a mess. Obviously beginner's mistake I'm thinking, or maybe I'm just dumb. Either way a learning experience I don't think I can easily fix now but I think I can live with.

Waaaaaaay too much soil and gravel aside I mostly like it. Needs a couple of more plants I think. And maybe some day soon I'll pull the fish out, drain it, and try and fix the soil/gravel problem. I was just exhausted and had a mess and got frustrated.

Also apparently I record lopsided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjTP31JFSQ

Most of the plants are anubis as I had luck with the goldfish not eating them and I like how they look, but I got a couple of "ferns" for variety so I'll see if the goldfish don't go to town on them. They seem a little preoccupied by the one in the back left corner. The right side is built up with bags of gravel to give it different depth/perspective or something. That makes it look like more gravel/dirt than it is, but its still too much. And I had a rock formation on the left but it got a little buried under the gravel/dirt/plants.

Like I said, I might tinker. I'm definitely gonna get a couple of more plants once I'm sure I planted these guys right so when I do that I'll probably drain the tank at least half way and see if I can adjust anything.

I'm also probably gonna put some black paper on the back. Or something.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 22, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
How tall is it? Mine is 18" so this larger paper worked perfectly. Very handy because you can add it without moving the tank away from the wall.

Also when I felt I had too much soil or gravel in places, I used my siphon cleaner thing to just suck it up. Take off the large piece on the end, get it going and just jam it down there.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I got my Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC yesterday (god, they name these loving things like they're graphics cards). I'm loving it. I have a few anubias in my tank that are yellowing at the edges of the leaves and I'm hoping the massive upgrade in lighting is just what they need to get healthy once again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone had trouble with the new 50W aqueon adjustable heaters? I've got one that is set to 80F and it doesn't seem to be able to maintain the temperature in a 7.7 gallon tank.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Neitherman posted:

I got my Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC yesterday (god, they name these loving things like they're graphics cards). I'm loving it. I have a few anubias in my tank that are yellowing at the edges of the leaves and I'm hoping the massive upgrade in lighting is just what they need to get healthy once again.

Anubias don't need a ton of light, its more likely a nutrient/mineral deficiency. Do you have other plants, what are your water parameters, are you dosing ferts, weekly water changes? Could be iron, nitrate, or potassium or combination.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone had trouble with the new 50W aqueon adjustable heaters? I've got one that is set to 80F and it doesn't seem to be able to maintain the temperature in a 7.7 gallon tank.

Yes, I use a heater controller. Much more accurate and an extra layer of protection from overheating.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Thermostat-Controller-Germination-40-108%C2%B0F/dp/B01I15S6OM/

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

r0ck0 posted:

Anubias don't need a ton of light, its more likely a nutrient/mineral deficiency. Do you have other plants, what are your water parameters, are you dosing ferts, weekly water changes? Could be iron, nitrate, or potassium or combination.

I have some corkscrew vals, some bacopa, two types of anubias, and Java moss. I noticed that leaves on some of the bacopa are also looking a bit yellow. I dose with Seachem Flourish at least twice a week and the substrate is Seachem Flourite. I do weekly water changes which average out to about 16% of the total water volume (in a 30 gallon tank).

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 23, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Ok, sounds good to me. So what am I going to need to treat the RO water?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sociopastry posted:

Bloop's grown another whole inch! Also the little shiny bits on his belly have gone matte like they're supposed to be on a black moor goldfish and he's learning to come up to the top of the tank when I gently tap on the top when I feed him. :kimchi:

When I get paid next I'm getting some nice new plants for his tank.

Good ta hear. See, that tank did him wonders, he's a happy fishy.

I got to see my twig catfish today. He was suckered up on the front glass. Normally he hangs behind the bamboo

Neitherman posted:

I have never really had issues with anubias. Right now because my tank is a leftover from growing pothos in it there's no lid and I have two LED daylight at right about 5000 which seems to do well enough hanging over it. The Anubias I dropped in there a few weeks ago has firmly dug itself into the substrate and started wrapping roots around the rock nearby while strangling some val stringers to death in a happy "gently caress you" move to the host plant.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 23, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ok, sounds good to me. So what am I going to need to treat the RO water?

Depends what kind of stuff you're keeping fish and plant wise. In general you need something to replace gH and something to replace kH; some products do both in a generic balance. Doing it with dry chems is cheaper but sometimes it's a struggle to get the gH solids to dissolve properly (but you can do it in a smaller amount of warm water). You need a way to mix the powder into your change water, and a way to measure to make sure everything is on track.

I make my own RO so I have holding tanks which I fill my 20lt water cans from and mix the powder in while I'm filling. I use the dosing recommendations on the packaging but check to make sure everything is about right with a cheap digital TDS meter. Also useful for checking if levels are rising in the tanks (usually due to evaporation). Mixing your own water means you can add softer water if the hardness is building up in the tanks and keep everything more steady. Sometimes just filling the container is enough agitation to mix the powders in, but when I dose the storage tanks to change my large planted tank I use an airstone or a powerhead to circulate to help the powder dissolve better.

If I'm feeling lazy I just use Continuum Reconstitute RO, but I also have Seachem Alkaline Buffer for kH and an "Amazon" type gH booster (looks like translucent blue powder) plus another Equilibrium style gH booster (chalky white powder) for when I want to tweak the change water a bit. For example my guppies, neocaridinas and crayfish all get a bit more kH and gH compared to my catfish and gudgeons. For the plants I also underdose an all in one style liquid fertilizer on top of that because I don't think there are any micronutrients in the typical hardness boosters. Certain plants do like the water to be harder but I don't worry about that too much.

Lastly since doing it this way means you can't use a python to put new water into your tank, it's worth getting a change water container that's easy to carry, and has a decent sized opening so you can drop a pump and a hose down there to pump water into your tanks. I do it all with my trusty long-spout bucket but it gets OLD and for larger tanks it isn't practical. I guess if all you have is one tank or a few small tanks the bucket method is fine, that's if you can get one with a decent spout.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 23, 2018

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Neitherman posted:

I have some corkscrew vals, some bacopa, two types of anubias, and Java moss. I noticed that leaves on some of the bacopa are also looking a bit yellow. I dose with Seachem Flourish at least twice a week and the substrate is Seachem Flourite. I do weekly water changes which average out to about 16% of the total water volume (in a 30 gallon tank).

Seachem flourish supplies trace elements like iron but not the major fertilizers. Its not meant to supply nitrogen, phosphorous, or potassium. Do you test your gh/kh and nitrate levels? You will probably want to dose nitrate and phosphorus on opposite days as flourish to get the green back in your plants and prevent an algae bloom with the new light. And depending on your gh/kh you might need to dose something like seachem equilibrium to raise your ca/mg/k levels. You have to balance the light with the plants and ferts or you get algae. This calculator is good for figuring out how much to dose: http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

edit:

here's a pic of my petsmart clown pleco. He never comes out of hiding.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 23, 2018

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My daughter's 10 gallon tank has ridiculous high ammonia levels (2 ppm) and has killed off the initial batch of 5 fish. I went against my better judgement and put fish in way too early before everything cycled at my wife's request.

So I'm going to drain and rinse everything in the tank with fresh water and start everything over again.

Do I need to replace the filter element and will the live plants be fine with a rinse and replant? Or any additional advice? I haven't gone through this in a tank before but I have never tried to establish such a small tank before.

Should I take 2-3 gallons of water from my 30 gallon tank that has been established for 3 years to start her tank off better?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Rythe posted:

My daughter's 10 gallon tank has ridiculous high ammonia levels (2 ppm) and has killed off the initial batch of 5 fish. I went against my better judgement and put fish in way too early before everything cycled at my wife's request.

So I'm going to drain and rinse everything in the tank with fresh water and start everything over again.

Do I need to replace the filter element and will the live plants be fine with a rinse and replant? Or any additional advice? I haven't gone through this in a tank before but I have never tried to establish such a small tank before.

Should I take 2-3 gallons of water from my 30 gallon tank that has been established for 3 years to start her tank off better?

You don't need to drain and clean the tank unless its really gross. The ammonia that is in the tank will help the cycle. Water from the new tank won't really help as the good bacteria is in the filter medium. If you have some part of the filter you can move over, some old carbon or a sponge that would do more good but not really necessary. The live plants will be fine in the tank while it cycles as they will use the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for growing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I don't know if you need to start over? If it just needs to finish cycling you can do that by adding ammonia manually daily, no need to completely clean it out if the only problem was it wasn't ready yet. If the plants are still alive they will be fine.

Oh, just saw the last sentence. So you don't want to transfer over water from your old tank, but what you ABSOLUTELY want to do is to take a cup of the old aquarium water, clean the old aquarium filter in that water (just squeeze and rub it a bit to get the bacteria off), then add that now brownish water to the new aquarium. That will transfer over the beneficial bacteria and kick-start the cycling. If you just transfer water from the old to the new, that's just adding whatever is in the water column, not necessarily what your filter needs to process what is in the water column.

Edit: beaten

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My moss balls are kind of falling apart. Is that natural or a sign of something? Maybe the fish are just pulling on them when I'm not looking? There's just random little pieces of moss stuck in the filter and floating around.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

r0ck0 posted:

You don't need to drain and clean the tank unless its really gross. The ammonia that is in the tank will help the cycle. Water from the new tank won't really help as the good bacteria is in the filter medium. If you have some part of the filter you can move over, some old carbon or a sponge that would do more good but not really necessary. The live plants will be fine in the tank while it cycles as they will use the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for growing.

That is great to hear I wasn't looking forward to that much work. So I can pretty much just let the tank sit as is and just let everything balance out?

I have some Quick Start should I be dosing the 10 gallon tank with that or is that not needed due to no more fish?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

My moss balls are kind of falling apart. Is that natural or a sign of something? Maybe the fish are just pulling on them when I'm not looking? There's just random little pieces of moss stuck in the filter and floating around.

It's quite possibly the fish. I caught ours destroying one of our moss balls only a few weeks ago.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Rythe posted:

That is great to hear I wasn't looking forward to that much work. So I can pretty much just let the tank sit as is and just let everything balance out?

I have some Quick Start should I be dosing the 10 gallon tank with that or is that not needed due to no more fish?

Quick Start is a kind of substitute for what we were saying about using your old filter somehow; no harm in doing both.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CrashScreen posted:

It's quite possibly the fish. I caught ours destroying one of our moss balls only a few weeks ago.

Yeah, the goldfish just pick at everything so I think they're just tearing up the balls. Its why I filled the tank with anubias plants since they didn't seem to touch the small one that was in there.

I'm setting up the 5 G tank for a beta and some tetras so I'll probably just move the balls in there and hope those guys are kinder to them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Mozi posted:

Quick Start is a kind of substitute for what we were saying about using your old filter somehow; no harm in doing both.

Got it, great information. I did the filter clean out and dosed with quick start. Now to let the tank sit and cycle.

What's a good time line to retest my ammonia levels?

Thanks for all the advice.