Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Owing favors would be okay if it was limited to gifts or votes, but since they can also force a matrilineal marriage on your heir, never owe a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Owing favors would be okay if it was limited to gifts or votes, but since they can also force a matrilineal marriage on your heir, never owe a favor.

I've never had them pull this stunt. Most of the time they burn it to get on the council or make you forgive them for something. Besides, I'd just have the wife killed.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I'm playing a Georgian king from 867 start ironman on my first go with monks and mystics + way of life DLC, which i love makes the game so much better during the down time between conflicts. (do not have conclave, china dlc, hose lords, or black death one).

I had an offensive war go south and lost to a large tribal king and his seemingly unlimited call up of tribal armies (my mistake should have looked at how much prestige he had before attacking), and of course got the lose money prestige etc penalty.

But the money penalty was -750 gold!!! My treasury was of course tanked to -500 (had some money in the bank never start a war without some dosh ready to go)

I have decent income 15g/month and Before I turned off the game last night I waited it down to like -350g but my actual question is how is the money penalty calculated??

-750g is a severely steep penalty especially for year ~900. You spend like a decade in a hopeless pit if you gently caress up a war. I get this is probably a natural consequence of declaring poorly thought out wars but god drat. I'm turbofucked if someone wants to war dec me right now. I wish there was a preview of the penalties if you lose the war. I expected a monetary loss but again -750 is sooooo steep especially when it wasnt even a holy war just a de jure over a single county!

(also I already borrowed money from the jews so I literally have to wait like 10 years to not be bankrupt)

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

EmbryoSteve posted:

I wish there was a preview of the penalties if you lose the war. I expected a monetary loss but again -750 is sooooo steep especially when it wasnt even a holy war just a de jure over a single county!

I’m sure there is a tool-tip on the war-dec screen that does exactly this, that outlines the consequences of a win/lose/whitepeace.

Also I’m pretty sure the money is calculated on your yearly income so it is always a massive punishment for losing.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Edit: nothing to see here phoneposting.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I've never had them pull this stunt. Most of the time they burn it to get on the council or make you forgive them for something. Besides, I'd just have the wife killed.

Happened to me once but luckily I was part of the Satanic society so.....

Honestly I think the biggest oversight with favors is that it doesn't interact with elective monarchy at all. There must have been some programming reason behind it because it's such a gimme I can't imagine the devs wouldn't have included it if they could.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I wish favors worked on cardinal picks. It'd be hilarious to play Venice or Genoa or something and use that firehose of money to control the Vatican with an iron fist.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I’ve never seen the AI do that, but I’m pretty sure I’ve done it myself. But since they can do it, it’s a big risk to take unless you’re certain you can have your new daughter in law killed before any children are born. Familial kinslayer isn’t a nice trait to have. If you get unlucky with plot mtth or just have the plot fail a couple times, and she gets pregnant almost immediately...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
She and the child aren't of your dynasty, would it matter?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Azhais posted:

She and the child aren't of your dynasty, would it matter?

That's a good question. I've never paid attention to if you get the lighter grade of kinslayer or not from killing in-laws. I'm pretty sure you'd get it from killing the child though. The child would still be considered a grandchild even if it's of another dynasty.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

This may have been changed at some point, but right now according to the wiki you can't use favors to force a marriage on someone's heir, and you can't force a matrilineal marriage unless it's your relative that's the groom.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wish favors worked on cardinal picks. It'd be hilarious to play Venice or Genoa or something and use that firehose of money to control the Vatican with an iron fist.

You can do that anyway. If you don't own the Papacy you're playing it wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

EmbryoSteve posted:

I'm playing a Georgian king from 867 start ironman on my first go with monks and mystics + way of life DLC, which i love makes the game so much better during the down time between conflicts. (do not have conclave, china dlc, hose lords, or black death one).

I had an offensive war go south and lost to a large tribal king and his seemingly unlimited call up of tribal armies (my mistake should have looked at how much prestige he had before attacking), and of course got the lose money prestige etc penalty.

But the money penalty was -750 gold!!! My treasury was of course tanked to -500 (had some money in the bank never start a war without some dosh ready to go)

I have decent income 15g/month and Before I turned off the game last night I waited it down to like -350g but my actual question is how is the money penalty calculated??

-750g is a severely steep penalty especially for year ~900. You spend like a decade in a hopeless pit if you gently caress up a war. I get this is probably a natural consequence of declaring poorly thought out wars but god drat. I'm turbofucked if someone wants to war dec me right now. I wish there was a preview of the penalties if you lose the war. I expected a monetary loss but again -750 is sooooo steep especially when it wasnt even a holy war just a de jure over a single county!

(also I already borrowed money from the jews so I literally have to wait like 10 years to not be bankrupt)

Most dynamic costs are based on some percentage yearly income so that they scale with your realm and you never really grow out of things being expensive.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jedit posted:

You can do that anyway. If you don't own the Papacy you're playing it wrong.

No for sure, I just think it'd be cool if you could use favors as well. It's not without precedent. Plenty of red hats were given out due to papal influence among families.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Various Meat Products posted:

This may have been changed at some point, but right now according to the wiki you can't use favors to force a marriage on someone's heir, and you can't force a matrilineal marriage unless it's your relative that's the groom.

Yeah, it was a while ago, maybe 6 months or a year.
It was the first time I played a game with Conclave, too.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I have only had this pulled on me once and the wife to be the person who forced the marriage and their entire dynasty all died in mysterious accidents. I was playing a really tyrannical king at the time with rage issues so lots of people had accidents.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Had something odd happen and was wondering if someone might have some insight if its something I did that can be avoided: My ruler died, I had no raised levies or anything, and all of my demesnes levies were reduced to zero. Like every single troop decided to commit suicide out of sorrow for the King.

Any ideas? Kind of sucks having to spend the first 5 years of my new reign waiting for levies to reinforce

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Azhais posted:

Had something odd happen and was wondering if someone might have some insight if its something I did that can be avoided: My ruler died, I had no raised levies or anything, and all of my demesnes levies were reduced to zero. Like every single troop decided to commit suicide out of sorrow for the King.

Any ideas? Kind of sucks having to spend the first 5 years of my new reign waiting for levies to reinforce

Maybe demesne limit? What's the stewardship of your heir vs your old ruler? If your heir is significantly worse then when your leader dies it can put your heir over the demesne limit and the penalty can be anything up to a 90% reduction in levy amount.

Edit: Were you over demesne limit then handed out all the land? Because all I can think of is you went above when your leader died reducing levy by 90% then gave out the land removing that limit but now you have to wait for them to replenish.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
What’s the least finicky way to keep playing a map if you lose from your current bloodline due to lack of heirs?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Banana Man posted:

What’s the least finicky way to keep playing a map if you lose from your current bloodline due to lack of heirs?

Ironman or not Ironman?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Just use the money one time to request and win invasion of Italy. Since Italian culture is a big bonus in cardinal and papal election you'll end up controlling most of them even without paying if you rule all of Italy.
Then vassalize Papacy once you've reached empire tier.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 23, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thrasophius posted:

Maybe demesne limit? What's the stewardship of your heir vs your old ruler? If your heir is significantly worse then when your leader dies it can put your heir over the demesne limit and the penalty can be anything up to a 90% reduction in levy amount.

Edit: Were you over demesne limit then handed out all the land? Because all I can think of is you went above when your leader died reducing levy by 90% then gave out the land removing that limit but now you have to wait for them to replenish.

I don't recall 100%, but it's possible the old ruler was over the limit by one. New guy had 18 stewardship vs 5 tho, so it certainly didn't go down.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

EmbryoSteve posted:

If you can, swap to the business focus and mint a bunch of ducats. On average you'll get three successes for every failure, so it's a really good way to generate lots of cash in a hurry.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

binge crotching posted:

If you can, swap to the business focus and mint a bunch of ducats. On average you'll get three successes for every failure, so it's a really good way to generate lots of cash in a hurry.

I did not realize that each focus had events like this.

I survived and transitioned to a new young ruler who is now a satanist. The societies add a lot of fun little depth to the game and makes it more fun to focus on character building rather than map painting. As an orthodox religion I had my first couple kings go through the St. Basil society which is super great b/c you can make yourself celibate which works great with how I generally run ultimogeniture succession. Much easier to control your dynasty if you just dont gently caress after getting a heir you like. Just make him your ward, raise him, and when of age arrange a marriage, give him the duchy of alania to practice being a ruler. Once he pumps out an heir, make them your ward to raise them, if he pumps out a different heir just drop the old one and pick up the new one. By the time you die you have the next two rounds of succession in order with good traits as well as a bunch of other kids to make alliances with. Rinse and repeat.

Hilariously my satanist king hasnt had to worry about pumping out too many kids as, after producing an heir, his wife cheated on him after with his rival. She was imprisoned as was the rival ( you still get spouse benefits if they are in prison so she will live the rest of her life there). I excommunicated the rival, castrated him, released him, abducted him and sacrificed him to satan. That will teach him to consort with the wife of the king. also Orthodox has the best punishments, I just wish I did have to release them after punishing them sometimes.

Also you can get your treasury full of awesome poo poo searching for the smith, I go negative each time cause money is fleeting but the bone breaker is forever. this DLC is adding a lot of new life to this game.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EmbryoSteve posted:

I did not realize that each focus had events like this.

I survived and transitioned to a new young ruler who is now a satanist. The societies add a lot of fun little depth to the game and makes it more fun to focus on character building rather than map painting. As an orthodox religion I had my first couple kings go through the St. Basil society which is super great b/c you can make yourself celibate which works great with how I generally run ultimogeniture succession. Much easier to control your dynasty if you just dont gently caress after getting a heir you like. Just make him your ward, raise him, and when of age arrange a marriage, give him the duchy of alania to practice being a ruler. Once he pumps out an heir, make them your ward to raise them, if he pumps out a different heir just drop the old one and pick up the new one. By the time you die you have the next two rounds of succession in order with good traits as well as a bunch of other kids to make alliances with. Rinse and repeat.

Hilariously my satanist king hasnt had to worry about pumping out too many kids as, after producing an heir, his wife cheated on him after with his rival. She was imprisoned as was the rival ( you still get spouse benefits if they are in prison so she will live the rest of her life there). I excommunicated the rival, castrated him, released him, abducted him and sacrificed him to satan. That will teach him to consort with the wife of the king. also Orthodox has the best punishments, I just wish I did have to release them after punishing them sometimes.

Also you can get your treasury full of awesome poo poo searching for the smith, I go negative each time cause money is fleeting but the bone breaker is forever. this DLC is adding a lot of new life to this game.

Ball-taking is Greek specifically, not Orthodox specifically, actually!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I started a new game as the Petty King of Essex.
Usually, you can get claims to Surrey/Sussex/Kent pretty easily, but this time nothing was doing. In fact, Mercia got their prestige up high enough to war for both Surrey and Sussex, which had me seriously worried, since I hadn't been able to expand at all. Suzerain or not, if the Duke died early, I'd be next on his successor's shitlist.

Thankfully, once they'd grabbed those two, I was able to fabricate claims for Norfolk and Suffolk. And then, serendipitously, we had a Wicked Priest Pope and a Lombard Antipope, meaning Moral Authority went in the shitter.
So heresies started popping up like crazy. Mercia was able to expand into Northumbria as a result of some of them, and I grabbed Gloucester initially. Then, when a Lollard rebellion for Wessex succeeded, I declared Holy War for the duchy and called my Suzerain into the war for maximum carnage.

The upshot is, I'm now the KIng of Wales, sitting on my throne in Westminster.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Azhais posted:

I don't recall 100%, but it's possible the old ruler was over the limit by one. New guy had 18 stewardship vs 5 tho, so it certainly didn't go down.

The only other thing I can think of then is a significant drop in martial skill on succession. A big drop reduces your levy, combined with things like losing counties to Gavelkind and the reduced opinion from vassals on succession can lower it too. Beyond that I'm out of ideas and I don't want to flat out call it a bug. There is probably some mechanic fuckery going on somewhere.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I cut my brother's dick off and sent him as a gift to the Chinese Emperor :discourse:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The main thing I want off today's dev diary is a release date, hopefully in September. That's enough time to reveal the updated reformation mechanics and the new Catholic mechanics imho. The only time I've been this super mega excited for a CK2 DLC (as opposed to being just very excited) has been for Old Gods. I need this DLC, please shut up and take my money, Paradox!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Finally getting back to my combo Roman Empire/867 to End game and ooohhh my god I dunno if I can make the last 300 years. I'm most of the way to getting S.P.Q.R, really all that's left is taking Iberia off the muslims and kicking the Norse out of the Isles along with the usual scattered bits of poo poo but gently caress me, the viceroyalities... People are constantly dying and I keep having to drop whatever I'm doing to spend a few minutes dishing out all the loving territory again. Uuuuugggghhhh

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ShootaBoy posted:

Finally getting back to my combo Roman Empire/867 to End game and ooohhh my god I dunno if I can make the last 300 years. I'm most of the way to getting S.P.Q.R, really all that's left is taking Iberia off the muslims and kicking the Norse out of the Isles along with the usual scattered bits of poo poo but gently caress me, the viceroyalities... People are constantly dying and I keep having to drop whatever I'm doing to spend a few minutes dishing out all the loving territory again. Uuuuugggghhhh

I always gradually phase out viceroyalties by granting permanent titles to dynasty members, too much hassle reassigning them and opinion penalties aren't worth it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Any advice for strarting as the Count of Vermandios in 1066?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

New Dev Diary about warrior lodges.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Last time I mentioned my Socotran Abyssinia game, the HRE had formed from Lombardy and the Byzantine Emperor was a Karling.

Now, Navarra just took Greece from the Byzzies in a crusade and the AU-reformed Romuvans likewise grabbed Poland, and for the first time ever in all my games of CK2 I've seen Greek Orthodoxy become a Paulician heresy - again, all the AI, no intervention from me.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I cut my brother's dick off and sent him as a gift to the Chinese Emperor :discourse:

That's service right there. Normally I just send them somebody and let the Chinese do their own dick chopping.

E: also man I can't wait for lodges. I'm happy as hell in general with all the love Africans are getting especially. Loooong overdue.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 24, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

I wish the demon child event had some sanity checks in it's code. Had an attempt at a Seimen game ruined when my daughter went demon and killed off her brothers, even though the law meant that she literally could never come to power. No sons meant game over on my first ruler :(
Have they disallowed imprisoning your kids or something? Imprison -> Execute is not popular parenting but it works

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Red Bones posted:

This looks really good. I especially liked the bit about fetishes and special masks for African pagans.

Nomads can always join the Tengri warrior lodge, regardless of their faith.

Interesting that Zunists also get a lodge, while Aztecs won't.

Sadly, there's no release date :(

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It feels like my two favorite Paradox games have fallen into the Paradox Dilemma of "want to play but want the new content too..."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, I can't decide what I want my first Holy Fury game to be. I was initially thinking another Norse one, but the fact that the Eagle Warriors gives you a gigantic loving raptor on your portrait is making a pretty convincing case.

What's left from Holy Fury that they haven't done a dev diary for? Coronations, sainthood, and the portrait pack? I think there might be some more map changes they haven't mentioned yet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Red Bones posted:

So another way for pagans to be fighty? It's not like they're really short on those. It's not like they aren't already required to be constantly aggressive by game mechanics. I know that Pagans need some kind of society, but it seems a little redundant. Kinda goes into how societies are a little half-baked in general.

Also I know that's not what it means, but I wanna just imagine that African society making a legendary full body latex suit or like an enema kit.

• Locked thread