Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Did you get something out of it you snitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

No. However, part of Ford's self-justification for pardoning Nixon was the fiction that you [implicitly] did, which has caused no end of twittering on the subject now that it's about Trump. Ford is said to have kept a clipping of that bit of dicta from the Burdick case in his wallet as a totem that he did the right thing.

The commonsense idea that you can't force a pardon on someone is the wellspring from which the idea that a pardon has to be accepted flows. Burdick, the case that the 'no involuntary pardons' rule came out was a case where the pardon was not being used as a pardon, but as a tool to try to force a person to testify. This also implicated the 5th Amendment right not to incriminate oneself, and so in dicta that court also speculated that accepting a pardon carried an implicit acceptance of guilt. It's only in the that limited context of misusing a pardon to force someone to testify against one's 5th amendment rights that that bit of woolgathering comes into the broader discussion about pardons.
What gets lost in the myopic "BUT TRUUUUUMP" moaning and blackly ironic twisting of the law is that pardons can and are used in cases of actual innocence, which pretty clearly puts the lie to the fiction that they are findings of guilt. (implicit or otherwise)

What the gently caress is wrong with Alan Dershowitz?

https://twitter.com/esaagar/status/1032243766877474816?s=21

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A final follow up to my ethics issue. The attorney has been let go due to failure to disclose a conflict. Im glad I reported. I was given his agency issued fan.

Way to get someone fired, narc

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

His friends won't hang out with him anymore and he's taking it very badly

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A final follow up to my ethics issue. The attorney has been let go due to failure to disclose a conflict. Im glad I reported. I was given his agency issued fan.

The spoils of war.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

he's committed to being wrong on every single conceivable issue related to trump's legal situation

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

lol

to the victor, etc

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you get something out of it you snitch?

Yes, I got his fan. Now my office has two fans. This is a major win, because my office does not have an air conditioning vent.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Also, does anyone think it was wrong to report that an attorney was in active litigation against a firm from which he had accepted a job offer?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Also, does anyone think it was wrong to report that an attorney was in active litigation against a firm from which he had accepted a job offer?

I was more musing if you were required to report them to the bar at that point.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The agency told him he needs to self report.

I've been trying to upload a picture of the fan because it's truly glorious but I can't get it up.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've been trying to upload a picture of the fan because it's truly glorious but I can't get it up.

I'm not surprised that your impotency flared up

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I thought wins like this were they only way you litigators got hard in the first place.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just breaking balls you rat

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I hope that fan has 30 blades, Judas.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I would have considered talking to him to give him a chance to break the news to the agency. But that’s the type of thinking that got me to say privately to a coworker “Hey [Senior Attorney with anger management issues], I just heard you say the N word [in describing Trayvon Martin no less] and I’m gonna ask you not use that in the office anymore.” (On the one hand, he stormed out of his office and yelled at staff “Hey did anyone hear me say n*****!” And then emailed the same staff members along with management to claim he didn’t say it, which pretty much put those staff on notice that he expected them to cover for his denial. OTOH it made his HR complaint (that I was “trying to get him in trouble”) pretty hilarious since I never needed to turn him in for racism thanks to his blow up and email.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Technically, sounds like your boss should be reported for failure to report if they see this as a “need to” situation.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 23, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
HDD, ask him to sign his fan for you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Prepare to wind up in a ditch with stitches.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Not at all. Dude wasn't following basic ethical obligations and was putting you into a bad spot.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Yeah your friend is the actual narc

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Suspicion of prosecutors, particularly special prosecutors. (But sometimes they're necessary, particularly when Congress won't/can't do that job)

Disgust that liberals are abandoning their principles because BUT TRUUUMP. (Even if the conservatives who've already abandoned their (stated) principles are running roughshod over what used to be those (shared) principles

A huge boner for a dictatorial unitary executive. (Maybe related to 9/11 breaking his brain?)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Everyone needs to take the CA bar and move to sacramento. Pickings are thin for government lawyers. We're seriously considering hiring people with multiple past bar issues. Jeesus.
I'd say go to law school, but this will likely resolve in less than 3 yeats.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

Everyone needs to take the CA bar and move to sacramento. Pickings are thin for government lawyers. We're seriously considering hiring people with multiple past bar issues. Jeesus.

Will california take my MBE scores from February this year and will you pay my fees? If yes to both, California sounds better than florida :lol:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Will california take my MBE scores from February this year and will you pay my fees? If yes to both, California sounds better than florida :lol:

Maybe (I dunno)
And no.
But we pay pretty well, accounting for COL in Sacramento, and our pension is amazing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

California doesn't even do waive in. If you practice for four(?) years you get the honor of only having to take the essay portion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

California doesn't even do waive in. If you practice for four(?) years you get the honor of only having to take the essay portion.

Only a 2 day bar now.
We're still like a million times better than florida.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Unfortunately no trip to California for me, then.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

Everyone needs to take the CA bar and move to sacramento.

CA* is still "gently caress you on reciprocity", right?

*Much like my current state.

E:

nm posted:

Only a 2 day bar now.
We're still like a million times better than florida.

Could be worse - could be a 3 day bar thoughtfully scheduled Monday Wednesday Friday.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

There are currently 8 agencies in CA looking for entry level attorneys and some postings are really old. It starts at 65k (only for fresh out of law school), which isn't amazing, but you'll be fine in Sacramento (or live like a king in Visalia where there is one posting) and a Attorney III promotion (there is no attorney 2) is an automatic promotion with 6 years experience (as an attorney, not in position) in some, but not all, offices, which starts at over 100k, which again doesn't sound like too much v. private practice, but I work 8 hours/day, have every weekend off, in excess of 5 weeks of leave, extremely hard to fire, and when I'm 60, I get to retire with like 70% of my salary (new pensions will be worse than mine, but only a bit).
For experienced attorneys, attorney III, there are 24 agencies (well office locations) hiring. One of them appears to be firing highway patrol officers.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 23, 2018

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

2. Magic bullet lawyer is a term I've used since advocacy exercises in law school. There are some lawyers who try to solve cases. Like there is some combination of facts and law that make the case unbeatable. And if you thread all the needles correctly you'll win.

If it's not litigation, what's the best practice area to be a (rich) magic bullet lawyer?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress Im sad there is a new thread because I cant empty quote all my posts about law school and then be like "oh now I do bush law for a living"

Think Island law... but the desert. Same problems with things to do, and bad internet, same "super chill on a friday" vibes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh good, it's GDPR Compliance day. I certainly have time for this poo poo. Oh I need to draft a 200 page instruction manual for our plumber's use of personal data, that seems sensible. Ah, this newborn has to sign this consent form well that shouldn't be too much trouble at all.

I'm leaving the EU. gently caress this poo poo.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh I actually did advise him to tell the agency first. I spent an entire day telling him. He kept insisting it's not a conflict.

Also, I'm loving glad I murdered him I got a fan.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Jesus, if you told him he was loving up then there’s nothing to feel bad about. He should have known without being told. You tried. Too bad this didn’t happen in July or so when a fan has max value.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh good, it's GDPR Compliance day. I certainly have time for this poo poo. Oh I need to draft a 200 page instruction manual for our plumber's use of personal data, that seems sensible. Ah, this newborn has to sign this consent form well that shouldn't be too much trouble at all.

I'm leaving the EU. gently caress this poo poo.

GDPR sucks and one of the tertiary reasons I left work was that I knew that I'd be the one to have to draft data protection documents for whenever we advise someone from the EU, which was like 3/4 of our work

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also I really liked the story from the old thread when the judge said "shoot my wad" and the goon lawyer started laughing and the judge explained to him it was a gun reference.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

nm posted:

You make this sound extremely attractive. If only the CA bar wasn’t so terrifying. Whenever I think about it I remember how two of my friends moved out there a few years back, failed multiple times, and ended up getting divorced. She’s practicing now, he’s not.

Your pension is definitely better than mine, though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
HDD Did Nothing Wrong

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean, I've taken and passed a bar that's just as difficult as california's, but that was also on someone else's dollar. I don't think I've got the thousands I need just to get licensed in cali let alone move there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

algebra testes posted:

Oh gently caress Im sad there is a new thread because I cant empty quote all my posts about law school and then be like "oh now I do bush law for a living"

Think Island law... but the desert. Same problems with things to do, and bad internet, same "super chill on a friday" vibes.

We have plenty to do, and surprisingly good internet due to being part of the trans-Pacific pipeline of internet cables.

No concerts though. We get bands 10+ years after they’re relevant, if at all. I think our most recent group was Bone Thugs n Harmony.