Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wasabi the J posted:

I got lit up on a long section of road with no shoulders, no right turns, and a divider. I was in the far right lane and about to go into one of those blocked in lanes where you can skip the light; this meant I had to drive for a good block and a half with a cop following me.

Next available spot was the police academy, on the opposite side of the road.

Well it's also the North West Area Command so the parking lot is really topical for that! Probably a really, really high chance of getting lit up there.

(The Academy is the left building in the photo, the area command is the right building facing Cheyenne)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Protocol7 posted:

It's a known fact that once the engine block reaches a certain temperature, it will just explode.

(Probably true for some cars...)

I once heard that aluminum alloy wheels and engines are made with magnesium, and that stuff catches fire! We should only have iron blocks rolling on steelies, for fire safety

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Protocol7 posted:

It's a known fact that once the engine block reaches a certain temperature, it will just explode.

(Probably true for some cars...)

"That's why I carefully avoid overstressing the engine by attempting to merge at 40 under the limit and never breaking 2000rpm." -- Every loving IDIOT in my goddamn city.

Seriously, if I pull onto the exit ramp behind you and accelerate normally, and I have to brake significantly because your rear end isn't near the speed of traffic, you hosed up. It's never even heavy, slow commercial vehicles, always CUVs.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

The Door Frame posted:

I once heard that aluminum alloy wheels and engines are made with magnesium, and that stuff catches fire! We should only have iron blocks rolling on steelies, for fire safety

Iron still burns, albeit very slowly. We call it rust.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody with way too much time on their hands found the tunnel:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5195427,-0.7134834,3a,74y,351.12h,84.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHMNaRM94X1_huzzNkguC0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The lady does have priority, but it seems like he was already almost through the tunnel so she should've let him exit it.

Looking at the map I'm kinda shocked how those drivers behind the idiots didn't just give up and head for the other tunnel a couple hundred feet away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Door Frame posted:

F1 used beryllium-aluminum in engines for a while.

Then it was realized that this was a probably very bad idea and FIA banned it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Looking at the map I'm kinda shocked how those drivers behind the idiots didn't just give up and head for the other tunnel a couple hundred feet away.

It's the age old issue of picking a line at the grocery store. As soon as you switch lines the one you left starts to move quickly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I pick one lane and stick with it in traffic jams. My blood pressure thanks me and like 75% of the time I end up passing the dude who's weaving between lanes trying to get an edge.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I pick one lane and stick with it in traffic jams. My blood pressure thanks me and like 75% of the time I end up passing the dude who's weaving between lanes trying to get an edge.

If I see a traffic jam starting, I make sure I get in the lane I need to be in when I leave the highway and then stop caring. Nothing worse than trying to change lanes when everyone's pissed off and jammed up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of traffic jams, when Waze reconfigures and tells you to get off the highway, loving do it, or else you'll spend 45 minutes slowly inching along a quarter mile, only to discover that the entire northbound highway is closed due to an accident!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wasabi the J posted:

I got lit up on a long section of road with no shoulders, no right turns, and a divider. I was in the far right lane and about to go into one of those blocked in lanes where you can skip the light; this meant I had to drive for a good block and a half with a cop following me.

Did this once on a main road running through a residential area (35 MPH two-lane road running through a bunch of intersecting 25 MPH residential streets), cop lights me up, I proceed for about a block and turn down the next side street.

Officer is enraged and spent 25 minutes screaming at me about how if you see emergency flashers you STOP loving IMMEDIATELY and how if he wanted to he could have arrested me for willful fleeing and reckless operation (claimed he saw me doing 41 in a 35 :lol: reckless op) and had my car towed and crushed.

Ended up letting me off with a verbal warning, upon speaking with a friend who was a part-time cop years ago the guy was full of poo poo - Ohio's reckless operation and willful fleeing codes are both "shall arrest", not "may arrest" meaning if he legitimately had me on either charge he was putting his job and law enforcement credentials at risk by not arresting me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BitBasher posted:

Well it's also the North West Area Command so the parking lot is really topical for that! Probably a really, really high chance of getting lit up there.

(The Academy is the left building in the photo, the area command is the right building facing Cheyenne)

Allegedly, I got tagged by a radar gun on the overpass (which I observed), doing a hundred on the 215 just before the exit to Cheyenne.

My initial reaction was basically :staredog:

Thankfully my rider and I both knew that that wasn't the case, and we were very insistent that that was improbable (my Outback gets... squirrelly over 80-something, and I don't speed in since I was a dumb twenty something). After our protestations, cop didn't seem too sure that it was me that got tagged by the overpass radar gun, so I got off with a warning.

All in all, it was very surprising light up, as I had no clue for what I even could have been pulled over for when she initially lit me up, and when I heard the reason it was even more incredible.

Sidenote, the officer reminded me of an older white version of Laverne Hooks from Police Academy.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 22, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Protocol7 posted:

Speaking of traffic jams, when Waze reconfigures and tells you to get off the highway, loving do it, or else you'll spend 45 minutes slowly inching along a quarter mile, only to discover that the entire northbound highway is closed due to an accident!

Apple Maps: Our artisanal cartographers hope you enjoy this pleasant journey. 28 min

Google Maps: Our algorithm has determined an optimal path for the most efficient route given current traffic conditions. 25 min

Waze: Drive through this dude's living room. 17 min

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Devor posted:

But first make 8 left turns at intersections with no turn signals.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mostly use it to figure out what exit on the highway to take since Denver is a clusterfuck and I-25 doubly so. Unfortunately, they still haven't figured out that it's pretty drat difficult to get over 5 lanes in 3MPH bumper to bumper traffic, especially with angry tailgaters all over the place.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Devor posted:

Apple Maps: Our artisanal cartographers hope you enjoy this pleasant journey. 28 min

Google Maps: Our algorithm has determined an optimal path for the most efficient route given current traffic conditions. 25 min

its this.

every morning i get the beep of "recalculating route" as I pass and do not take the canal maintenance road Waze wants to me to use.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

every morning i get the beep of "recalculating route" as I pass and do not take the canal maintenance road Waze wants to me to use.

That loving beep is goddamn earsplitting. That's the one noise I want to change.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Beach Bum posted:

That loving beep is goddamn earsplitting. That's the one noise I want to change.

yeah it is really bad and weirdly enough the rest of the app has normalized volume. except that loving beep.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Why would you use Waze if you know the route?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Javid posted:

Waze is actually pretty good at identifying traffic slowdowns/jams and routing you around them in advance. Much better than Google Maps.

This is pretty much the only reason I have it installed on my phone. Its a massive battery and data hog otherwise.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

because its nice to know if my usual route has an accident or road construction i didn't know about. its not about directions, its about condition.

e: and it pairs extremely well with android auto / car play if your vehicle has it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Geoj posted:

Waze is actually pretty good at identifying traffic slowdowns/jams and routing you around them in advance. Much better than Google Maps.

This is pretty much the only reason I have it installed on my phone. Its a massive battery and data hog otherwise.

I hate that about Google Maps

Sure Google Maps, there's not too much traffic on 290 right now, but right now it's 3pm. So by the time I get onto the highway, I may as well walk for how much traffic I'm going to be stuck in. Thanks for that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google has a "arrive by" or "depart at" option you can select that will estimate travel time for the time of day you select.

(in the web version, not sure mobile has it)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Javid posted:

Cops.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Google has a "arrive by" or "depart at" option you can select that will estimate travel time for the time of day you select.

(in the web version, not sure mobile has it)

also cops. waze users are incredibly good about this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Waze has an option for alerts only, no directions via audio.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

3rd'ing cops, especially on routes where you know you're going to be speeding but there are often speed traps

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Waze if you know the route and watching for traffic/cops/speed bumps/etc. Google Maps if you have never been there before.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

100% cops.

Also Waze now has an "avoid difficult intersections" option, and I've deffo noticed a difference.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I came up on an accident that stopped traffic on the highway about 4:30 am, close enough that I could see the cops blocking the way. After ten minutes in this, google maps hadn't changed my estimated travel/arrival time. I was at the end of an onramp so I went the wrong way down the on ramp and google kept insisting I get back onto the highway with completely stopped traffic. I just went to the map and saw that if I hung a left, then I'd hit another highway ring road in a few miles and could easily get around it. It kept insisting I turn around.

Really weird, usually google maps had been good for me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I pretty much never drive on the highway without Waze running anymore. It's useful for hazards, but even more useful for cops (the most hazardous of hazards).

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

nsaP posted:

I came up on an accident that stopped traffic on the highway about 4:30 am, close enough that I could see the cops blocking the way. After ten minutes in this, google maps hadn't changed my estimated travel/arrival time. I was at the end of an onramp so I went the wrong way down the on ramp and google kept insisting I get back onto the highway with completely stopped traffic. I just went to the map and saw that if I hung a left, then I'd hit another highway ring road in a few miles and could easily get around it. It kept insisting I turn around.

Really weird, usually google maps had been good for me.

I've seen that if my cell connection was spotty. The map is stored so routes show using gps but traffic does not get updated.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
At the beginning of this year Google can no longer navigate to my house. It tries to have me go to a different housing community and......through my back cinder block wall? I'm not sure what changed, i've lived here for 15 years but suddenly google went full retard. Waze finds it just fine though. Whats more annoying is now I can tell what delivery/driver services use the Google Maps API because now they can't find me either. the first tip off was a grub hub driver shouting at me from behind the wall in my back yard to come outside.

:negative: x roughly a billion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

At the beginning of this year Google can no longer navigate to my house. It tries to have me go to a different housing community and......through my back cinder block wall? I'm not sure what changed, i've lived here for 15 years but suddenly google went full retard. Waze finds it just fine though. Whats more annoying is now I can tell what delivery/driver services use the Google Maps API because now they can't find me either. the first tip off was a grub hub driver shouting at me from behind the wall in my back yard to come outside.

:negative: x roughly a billion

It could be worse.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Lmao that's great but also a huge testament to the ridiculousness of fringe Valley sprawl. I remember when there was a gap of nothing between Phoenix and North 101. Now you're a double digit number if miles north of the loop and still passing mcmansions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As if anyone in america acknowledge their neighbors even exist.

Though I guess it will be a Big Deal if a fire ever goes through the area.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

♪She'll be coming around the mountains when she comes! (down the street)♪

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Flint Ironstag posted:

I had an E250 come in for check engine light on, loss of power diagnosis a while back. Random company owned work vehicle. The codes showed "running rich" and it would barely accelerate above 2000 rpm. Their air filter was completely clogged, and I do mean clogged, like I have rarely seen in all my years working on all types of machines. But, the easiest, and cheapest fix of all, for a van that ran that poorly. You would think the company would be happy to get it back so cheaply.

Nope, they declined the new air filter, so I put that cone of muck back in the airbox. At least I got paid for my diag.

So they paid $75 for a diagnosis but wouldn't pay $10 for a loving air filter? If they didn't want it fixed why did they even bring it in? Christ people are stupid.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They probably went and got a 5 dollar air filter. Or a vacuum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I watched a guy re-enact the intro to Office Space this morning, it was hilarious. Over the course of about 10 minutes of stop and go traffic, he went from 10 cars in front of me to so far behind me I couldn't see him. Every single time a gap opened up, he changed lanes, and then stopped just as his original lane started moving again. You couldn't have picked a less optimal strategy if you tried.