Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Rude Mechanical posted:

The name Riminton sounds like it's missing a G somewhere. Whenever I hear it I think of that one episode of 30 Rock where we find out that Alec Baldwin has been secretly moonlighting as an artisanal-cookie-jar collector under the alias "Victor Nightin-gale".

Hugh Rimjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Raged posted:

Have to admit I was hoping Mal was going to go scorched earth and announce an election.

I think we all were.

Just image them having to start a campaign with no leader and flimsy bribes/deals keeping them afloat

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Amethyst posted:

He hates Bill Shorten too much to do that.

My money is on him hating Tones a lot more.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hooman posted:

Which is one of the safest LNP seats from memory.

If Dutts is ineligible then that likely unseats the government.

If Turnbull goes laundy might stick to his word too

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
All these resignations and Dutts still doesn't have 43 signatures

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

If Turnbull resigns, they'll win the by-election but they'll still be down an MP until that point. Do you really think ALP will pair or just say gently caress it and try a motion of no confidence?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Gentleman Baller posted:

AusPol September 2018 - 2030, In the Hell of the Potato King

what sort of idiot king hasn't changed the thread title to this already

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
current mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

oh, so close to getting a leader that is every bit as racist as Trump.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The only difference between any given Liberal and Trump is the "Saying the quiet part loud" thing that he does.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

The only difference between any given Liberal and Trump is the "Saying the quiet part loud" thing that he does.

I dunno, Dutton got real close when he wanted South African farmers to be considered asylum seekers.

Just saw that Alan Jones dropped a hard r n-bomb on radio in reference to Scott Morrison.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I really love the way the Australian hard right are doing their damnest to get the Liberals out of government and open the door for a Labor/Greens senate majority, wiping out PHON and the Lionhat's influence in one go.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Testekill posted:

I dunno, Dutton got real close when he wanted South African farmers to be considered asylum seekers.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1032454567152246785

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sky News reports Dutton camp 'stuck' on 37, getting cockblocked by Morrison camp refusing to sign.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Moon Atari posted:

Patience. You've got to edge for awhile if you want a truly great climax.

Can someone with an account post the text of this article?: [url]https://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/turnbull-the-infidel-in-howards-broad-church/news-story/f83c38e709c2ea19e39fa74bf1436103
[/url]

I need to see the justification for that headline.

I would also like to read this

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Anidav posted:

Sky News reports Dutton camp 'stuck' on 37, getting cockblocked by Morrison camp refusing to sign.

lmfao

If this all ends here how the hell is Turnbull going to cobble together a cabinet?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This is not over. There is unfinished business in the Liberal Party that guarantees another leadership spill. The rising damp of the wets in the party has left the joint with dodgy foundations. Until that is fixed, the Liberal Party will crumble further, unable to define itself, prosecute policy or win an election.

In a rude joke just over a year ago, Malcolm Turnbull claimed the ill-fitting mantle of Robert Menzies. During a speech in London, Turnbull quoted Australia’s longest serving prime minister saying in 1944: “We took the name ‘Liberal’ because we were determined to be a progressive party.”

LIVE: Follow the unfolding developments from Canberra in our PoliticsNow blog

In true Turnbull style, full of arrogance, trickery and delusion, Turnbull claimed the Liberal Party as “progressive” — coveting its modern meaning when the word had a very different meaning in 1944.

As John Howard told The Australian last year, “context is everything”. “Menzies did not say: ‘We took the name Liberal because we were determined to be progressive rather than conservative.’ ”

Turnbull’s leadership was under the gun back then, too, and instead of reaching out to conservative voters, asking them to believe in a Liberal Party led by him, he effectively told them to get nicked. And they have, moving their votes and, in many cases, their money to other people and other causes.

Turnbull is decidedly more ABC than Sky News. And though he will say speaking with Leigh Sales rather than, say, Paul Murray is all about audience reach, Turnbull should be brave enough and smart enough to reach out to both audiences. Murray’s audience is where Turnbull needs to make a mark. When you lose the base, it’s clear that you have lost your philosophical bearings. Yesterday, a good number of his parliamentary colleagues deserted him, too. Winning a leadership spill by a vote of 48 to 35 against Peter Dutton should cause Turnbull to reconsider his strategy.

The problem is not just that Turnbull’s DNA won’t allow reconsideration but that it is hard to discern any strategy to reconsider. It is day-to-day survival for Turnbull; no policy is too important not to be sacrificed.

Like Kevin Rudd, the man who said he would not lead a party without a serious climate change policy has ruined his credibility.

There is no doubt that politics has cycles and we are on the downward side. But after a decade of no prime minister serving a full term, one might look to Howard for clues to success. The man who won four elections was canny enough to front up to all kind of media, from the friendly to the downright hostile. That Dutton is the same augurs well for him.

Howard’s success reveals Turnbull’s failure. A year on from his misappropriation of Menzies, Turnbull has still ignored what Howard said: “We should always remind ourselves of who we are and where we’ve come from and what we represent. The point I want to make most strongly is that people who see themselves as conservatives should see the Liberal Party as their natural home.”

Australia’s second longest serving prime minister lived the fact that the Liberal Party is most successful when it is true to its roots as the custodian of two philosophical strands: small-L liberalism and social conservatism.

The broad church was in fine nick under Howard because he saw himself as a man among equals. He embraced small-L liberals, putting them in cabinet and respecting their views. Indeed, the broad church of the Liberal Party was at its strongest under Howard because his conservative values reflected the fact mainstream Australians across the nation shared the same values.

Turnbull has not fostered a broad church because he does not regard himself as a man among equals. That prevents him from being a team player. The leadership of the Liberal Party and the prime ministership has always been about Turnbull. He wanted to lead the nation long before he knew what he wanted to do as leader of the nation. Voters can spot a man seeking power for power’s sake. Like Rudd, again. The two men have much in common.

That said, the rush to lay the wreckage of the Liberal Party at the feet of Turnbull is misguided even if tempting. Turnbull has shown zero political nous by shunning conservatives, provoking his arch nemesis Tony Abbott, and failing to explain what the point of the Liberal Party is under his stewardship. As Prime Minister, Turnbull has vacillated when decisions were needed. He has sulked over losses when he should have taken responsibility.

By surrounding himself with men and women who are less small-L liberal and more big-L Labor in their politics on everything from climate change to big government and culture, Turnbull has hastened a rot that set in years ago. As prime minister, ­Abbott was hardly a rock-solid liberal either, fleeing from free speech and economic reform at the first whiff of grapeshot.

Howard’s broad church can survive only if its congregation is committed to the values of liberalism such as freedom of speech, religious freedom, freer markets, less government regulation and defending our history.

Dutton may be the Liberal leader to rid the party of the rising damp, returning it to a genuine broad church of small-L liberals and conservatives. But first he will have to contend with Abbott. To steal a cricket term, Dutton deserves better than being a nightwatchman for a former prime minister who will not be satisfied until he is back in office, and his former chief of staff is there too.

The Liberal Party cannot be rebuilt until the cult of personality is replaced with the prime minister being the first among equals. The Abbott v Turnbull contest is more about two men who loathe one another than it is about the future of the Liberal Party.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
"Have you ever seen anything like this before?"
Barrie Cassidy "......... No."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kon__K/status/1032400305198002176

The worst take; put Dutton in charge so that we can realise that Australia is racist as gently caress

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Thanks

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amethyst posted:

lmfao

If this all ends here how the hell is Turnbull going to cobble together a cabinet?

Could replicate the first Whitlam ministry.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

From the guardian live feed:

quote:

The chaos continues over in the Senate. Senators were preparing to debate a bill on regional broadband. But the government appeared to have no idea who the relevant minister was. Instead of the name of its speaker, the Coalition simply wrote “minister”. Quality, stable government there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why is everyone making Kombucha these days?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

This is not over. There is unfinished business in the Liberal Party that guarantees another leadership spill. The rising damp of the wets in the party has left the joint with dodgy foundations. Until that is fixed, the Liberal Party will crumble further, unable to define itself, prosecute policy or win an election.

In a rude joke just over a year ago, Malcolm Turnbull claimed the ill-fitting mantle of Robert Menzies. During a speech in London, Turnbull quoted Australia’s longest serving prime minister saying in 1944: “We took the name ‘Liberal’ because we were determined to be a progressive party.”

LIVE: Follow the unfolding developments from Canberra in our PoliticsNow blog

In true Turnbull style, full of arrogance, trickery and delusion, Turnbull claimed the Liberal Party as “progressive” — coveting its modern meaning when the word had a very different meaning in 1944.

As John Howard told The Australian last year, “context is everything”. “Menzies did not say: ‘We took the name Liberal because we were determined to be progressive rather than conservative.’ ”

Turnbull’s leadership was under the gun back then, too, and instead of reaching out to conservative voters, asking them to believe in a Liberal Party led by him, he effectively told them to get nicked. And they have, moving their votes and, in many cases, their money to other people and other causes.

Turnbull is decidedly more ABC than Sky News. And though he will say speaking with Leigh Sales rather than, say, Paul Murray is all about audience reach, Turnbull should be brave enough and smart enough to reach out to both audiences. Murray’s audience is where Turnbull needs to make a mark. When you lose the base, it’s clear that you have lost your philosophical bearings. Yesterday, a good number of his parliamentary colleagues deserted him, too. Winning a leadership spill by a vote of 48 to 35 against Peter Dutton should cause Turnbull to reconsider his strategy.

The problem is not just that Turnbull’s DNA won’t allow reconsideration but that it is hard to discern any strategy to reconsider. It is day-to-day survival for Turnbull; no policy is too important not to be sacrificed.

Like Kevin Rudd, the man who said he would not lead a party without a serious climate change policy has ruined his credibility.

There is no doubt that politics has cycles and we are on the downward side. But after a decade of no prime minister serving a full term, one might look to Howard for clues to success. The man who won four elections was canny enough to front up to all kind of media, from the friendly to the downright hostile. That Dutton is the same augurs well for him.

Howard’s success reveals Turnbull’s failure. A year on from his misappropriation of Menzies, Turnbull has still ignored what Howard said: “We should always remind ourselves of who we are and where we’ve come from and what we represent. The point I want to make most strongly is that people who see themselves as conservatives should see the Liberal Party as their natural home.”

Australia’s second longest serving prime minister lived the fact that the Liberal Party is most successful when it is true to its roots as the custodian of two philosophical strands: small-L liberalism and social conservatism.

The broad church was in fine nick under Howard because he saw himself as a man among equals. He embraced small-L liberals, putting them in cabinet and respecting their views. Indeed, the broad church of the Liberal Party was at its strongest under Howard because his conservative values reflected the fact mainstream Australians across the nation shared the same values.

Turnbull has not fostered a broad church because he does not regard himself as a man among equals. That prevents him from being a team player. The leadership of the Liberal Party and the prime ministership has always been about Turnbull. He wanted to lead the nation long before he knew what he wanted to do as leader of the nation. Voters can spot a man seeking power for power’s sake. Like Rudd, again. The two men have much in common.

That said, the rush to lay the wreckage of the Liberal Party at the feet of Turnbull is misguided even if tempting. Turnbull has shown zero political nous by shunning conservatives, provoking his arch nemesis Tony Abbott, and failing to explain what the point of the Liberal Party is under his stewardship. As Prime Minister, Turnbull has vacillated when decisions were needed. He has sulked over losses when he should have taken responsibility.

By surrounding himself with men and women who are less small-L liberal and more big-L Labor in their politics on everything from climate change to big government and culture, Turnbull has hastened a rot that set in years ago. As prime minister, ­Abbott was hardly a rock-solid liberal either, fleeing from free speech and economic reform at the first whiff of grapeshot.

Howard’s broad church can survive only if its congregation is committed to the values of liberalism such as freedom of speech, religious freedom, freer markets, less government regulation and defending our history.

Dutton may be the Liberal leader to rid the party of the rising damp, returning it to a genuine broad church of small-L liberals and conservatives. But first he will have to contend with Abbott. To steal a cricket term, Dutton deserves better than being a nightwatchman for a former prime minister who will not be satisfied until he is back in office, and his former chief of staff is there too.

The Liberal Party cannot be rebuilt until the cult of personality is replaced with the prime minister being the first among equals. The Abbott v Turnbull contest is more about two men who loathe one another than it is about the future of the Liberal Party.

THE *CLAP* RIGHT *CLAP* WING *CLAP* AREN'T *CLAP* ANYONE'S *CLAP* BASE.

Turnbull and Bishop are vastly more popular amongst liberal voters than Dutton and Morrison, and the same is true for Abbott.

The base want Turnbull, they always have. This is not about the base. This is about the born to rule Conservative cry babies and their pied piper Murdoch totally subverting the narrative.

And it's awesome.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/60Mins/status/1032198190769033216

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why are you posting this poo poo? Shut the HELL up

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Testekill posted:

https://twitter.com/Kon__K/status/1032400305198002176

The worst take; put Dutton in charge so that we can realise that Australia is racist as gently caress

Kon is a great bloke and works hard for refugees, so take that back.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Andrew Bolt, the late night Sky News commentator and keen promoter of the Anyone-But-Turnbull camp, had just had a hernia live on air.

He’s furious Turnbull is fighting back.

Firstly, he’s angry that Turnbull is demanding to see a petition with 43 names before he convenes a special party-room meeting tomorrow.

“He made up that rule. There is no such rule. Absolutely none,” Bolt says.

Secondly, he’s angry that Turnbull has asked the solicitor general to consider whether Peter Dutton is eligible to sit in parliament.

“Again, this is him trying to kill off Peter Dutton’s challenge. The only way that Peter Dutton goes to the high court is if there parliament refers him.”

Thirdly, he doesn’t like that Turnbull’s digging his heels so that Scott Morrison gets time to challenge Dutton properly with serious numbers.

“Malcolm Turnbull, the most leftwing leader of the Liberal party for, I don’t know when, is trying to stop the Liberal party from returning to its roots.

“It’s an utterly, utterly selfish and narcissistic move. His leadership is completely destroyed and he doesn’t care. He is staying on for as long as he can until he can nominate his preferred successor.

“I think it is a disaster. I have never seen such a selfish, damaging, suicidal kind of move from a man who’s only focus since the day he become prime minister was on himself.”

Bolt then reminded viewers that he wasn’t a member of the Liberal party.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/aug/23/turnbull-dutton-liberal-canberra-chaos-spill

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

You Am I posted:

to be fair, it is a loving awful take

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

You Am I posted:

I just think that putting the worst possible person (besides Hanson) in charge of a nation just to hold up a mirror to Australia is an extremely poor idea when Dutton voted against any social progress over the last decade.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Because having Trump in the Oval Office is working out so well for the US.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I ended up going with a Pinot Grigio that was so on special on Knock Knock Booze There (who do not sell casks what is this classholery) that it seemed decently economical to order delivered booze. Saved me hunting for outdoors pants; sometimes that's a luxury worth paying for.

It has a slightly soapy aftertaste; I'm not sure if that's a characteristic of this type of wine and/or the reason for the discount. If it were for any other event I'd be annoyed, but it's oddly appropriate rn. I'm basically laughing as the seeds of my disabled unemployed existence's demise are watered and fertilised. Some part of me should feel clean.

I am kicking myself for not starting my mead, let alone a month or so ago. Some dude on Tumblr showed me how (though one of the steps involved pointing a gun at it, so it's already gonna be kinda hosed).

I'm guessing kombucha's made for the same reasons and the same way, but with the superiority of not brewing boozahol (except you slightly are).

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Kon is allowed some bad takes imo, being one of the most hardworking and visible advocates for refugee rights in a country that stubbornly and bloody-mindedly savages refugees at any opportunity is bound to break your brain after a while.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is that true? Bolt had a hernia and there is footage?

e. no, he just got real mad

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 23, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hollandia posted:

Kon is allowed some bad takes imo, being one of the most hardworking and visible advocates for refugee rights in a country that stubbornly and bloody-mindedly savages refugees at any opportunity is bound to break your brain after a while.

Yeah in this case he's definitely not arguing for accelerationism, I'd say he's more of the opinion that guys like Dutton are already defacto running the joint so at least him taking over would force people to face that instead of saying something like "Oh but Turnbull says such nice things".

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Maybe the founder of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre learned to communicate in ancient times when people used words to express their thoughts and feelings, rather than to broadcast ‘takes’ which every ignorant poo poo then rushes to declare a ‘good take’ or ‘bad take’ to demonstrate how fiercely cynical/woke/whatever they are about every loving thing.

Maybe he even began his sentence with the phrase “In a way...” as if to make it clear that he’s just making a point, exploring an idea, as opposed to definitively stating a deeply considered intellectual position.

Is this a good take or a bad take, jesus christ I hope it’s a good one, I wouldn’t want anyone to seethingly despise me for five minutes before their attention flits to something else and they forget I even exist.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i too hate the concept of opinions when they are used against a guy i personally like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol, a friend of mine periodically checks on his house being built and said that one fateful day, nestled amongst the choc chills and dare coffee, was a single kombucha bottle. Trying to imagine some hipster tradie that everyone else hates because he won't shut up about probiotics and the new hot new wild yeast saison.

• Locked thread