Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Dave posted:

I don’t know much about blinds but I just put a cordless cellular one (Home Decorators from Home Depot) in a bathroom and I’m pretty sure that’s the exact same brackets they used.

Anne Whateley posted:

Also, it's two little screws and whatever new blinds you buy will probably come with brackets

Hmm, ok. I’ll see if I can’t get the landlord to do it first.

Somewhat related - I’m looking at upgrading my lovely pull-out Twin-to-King bedframe with a proper Queen frame. I’d prefer to avoid boxsprings due to a need for disassembly and I’ll also be hosed if I drag a massive box into the apartment. I also want a headboard cause I tend to fall off otherwise. I took a look at the Zinus line of bedframes, they look good but often don’t have headboard attachments available. Are they worth it? Otherwise, does anyone have recommendations for that kinda bed frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Hmm, ok. I’ll see if I can’t get the landlord to do it first.

Get a price for the windows out of blinds.com (home depot) first so you can have a straight chat with him. Offer to go halvsies on it or something. One problem is a lot of apartment landlords don't like special snowflake stuff because then they're on the hook to replace it like-for-like in the future if it breaks while under lease.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh the blinds are special snowflake already, just not on my part. The previous person had thermal curtains hanging, and then the landlord took those down, replaced them with super old blinds that break if you so much as look at them (seriously they’re all gunky and sticky and lovely), and then proceeded to somehow lose the thermal curtains somewhere. I already asked them to bring the curtains back cause I wanted those, so I’ll be prodding them for the blinds fix as well while I do that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In general if it's something easily reversible that you can do in 5 minutes with a screwdriver, the landlord/super would strongly prefer that you do it yourself.

If it were my apartment, I would wrap the gross blinds and hardware in a big trash bag, throw it in the back of my closet, and install whatever system I wanted. (That's exactly what I did in my place.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Whatever you can fit is worth trying, if it creaks too much it isn't strong enough.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ll see if they find the curtains. If they don’t, I’ll replace them myself. Might as well buy my own loving house at this rate...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of blinds, what's a good type to get that are at least slightly cat-proof?

Our two have totally destroyed the cheap plastic mini-blinds in our kitchen.

They haven't managed to damage the wood slat ones in our bedroom, but we don't really like those and have only kept them this long because they're pretty good at blocking the sub.

I'd love to get cordless, closed-cell style, but I'm worried they'll tear them to shreds... Vertical might be the best option since they'll just flop to the sides if they attack/try to get behind them?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of blinds, what's a good type to get that are at least slightly cat-proof?

Vertical might be the best option since they'll just flop to the sides if they attack/try to get behind them?

This is the only thing if it's in range of their shredding or they are climbers.

Edit: Wrong thread.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'll have to see what I can find. The only issue is that I don't know how to pick an appropriate piece of wood or steel that would both fit under it and not break, given I don't know either the exact weight of the window or how to figure that out even if I did.

Maybe I'm not envisioning the situation right but just regular 2x4 home depot lumber (or the limey equivalent) would be fine for laying some skylights on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Maybe I'm not envisioning the situation right but just regular 2x4 home depot lumber (or the limey equivalent) would be fine for laying some skylights on.

They weigh about 200kg each, but that's good to know. FYI the limey equivalent would be B&Q.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

Where you live sounds like something out of Game of Thrones. Can you get cheap/free firewood? There are a lot of clever solutions available in that arena. I'd be looking at wood, anthracite coal or just burning a lot of natural gas.

I mean, we have summer, but it's short usually. June/July/August get into the 20s reliably but everything else varies. There's not enough moderate temperature to justify doing passive heating, because it'll likely only be used for the 2 cooler but not cold months around summer so it would be a decades long process for anything to pay for itself. If there were any passive cooling solutions that didn't rely on evaporation that might be useful but LOL.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I mean, we have summer, but it's short usually. June/July/August get into the 20s reliably but everything else varies. There's not enough moderate temperature to justify doing passive heating, because it'll likely only be used for the 2 cooler but not cold months around summer so it would be a decades long process for anything to pay for itself. If there were any passive cooling solutions that didn't rely on evaporation that might be useful but LOL.

Geothermal is for you.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My understanding is that you either need a sizeable lot to lay it out lengthwise or you have to install it vertically. I've got a small lot not too far from the river, there's a poo poo ton of groundwater and the earth is mostly clay and sand, no idea how that impact heat transfer (if at all).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

autism ZX spectrum posted:

My understanding is that you either need a sizeable lot to lay it out lengthwise or you have to install it vertically. I've got a small lot not too far from the river, there's a poo poo ton of groundwater and the earth is mostly clay and sand, no idea how that impact heat transfer (if at all).

Talk to a contractor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Somewhat related - I’m looking at upgrading my lovely pull-out Twin-to-King bedframe with a proper Queen frame. I’d prefer to avoid boxsprings due to a need for disassembly and I’ll also be hosed if I drag a massive box into the apartment. I also want a headboard cause I tend to fall off otherwise. I took a look at the Zinus line of bedframes, they look good but often don’t have headboard attachments available. Are they worth it? Otherwise, does anyone have recommendations for that kinda bed frame?

Reposting this - is this the right thread to ask in? I'm having some decision paralysis, but I still have no idea what my options truly are.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Reposting this - is this the right thread to ask in? I'm having some decision paralysis, but I still have no idea what my options truly are.

Bedframes are pretty interchangeable as far as I know. Get one that has the features you want and isn't the cheapest one. (unless you want to replace it every 5-10 years.) Go to a matress store and ask what they sell. Lie and say your matress is 2 years old so you don't need to replace it.

Also you don't take apart box springs. They're there to offer a sturdy base to the matress. It's just a matress shape that weighs like a quarter as much. Don't over think it. If you want a short bed without the box spring base you can get away with high quality and thick plywood as I understand it, but Google that.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 18, 2018

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Pollyanna posted:

If you're concerned about having to repeatedly move a box spring, you could look into buying a slatted bed frame. I found them very easy to move with in cramped buildings, and cats can't burrow into them which is a big plus for us. (He doesn't mess with any other furniture, but will destroy a box spring to hang out in it...)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
There are foldable box springs out there. Our "box spring" is actually a bolt-together 2x8 frame with twin metal rails into which those Ikea slats fit -- I moved and then it turned out that a queen-sized box spring wouldn't fit up the stairs, and a handy friend of mine built it. It has survived eight years and one move.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

There's an unused 'window' which is made up of glass blocks (the outside face is covered by an adjoining wall). Can I just stuff celotex/etc. ontop of the glass blocks and panel over it on the inside, or do I need to do something special?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So after some delay and a probation, I can finally share the pictures!

Let's start off with some before shots:

Eastern wall. The wallpaper was already loose when I got there. Ended up being like 9 layers of wallpaper covered with a layer of paint. The fourth layer was the sort of stuff that was popular during the 80's. Who even knows how old the first layer was.

Different shot of the eastern side, with the entrance. Random block of wood that was bolted to the wall, for no apparent reason. If you looks at the ceiling you'll see where they ran out of the purple paint. The doors are light blue, by the way, to just make the mess of colours worse. And yea, the purple turns into green because it seems that whoever did it simply stopped painting there.

Western wall. Wallpaper was also falling off on this side.

Second shot of the western wall. Old fireplace with alternating blocks of yellow and white, to add to the mess of colours. Door leads to the closet

Closet. Also the only picture where you can see the quality of the paint job. Terrible all around.

The floor is this super thin vinyl that's completely worn out. Luckily the subflooring is in decent shape.

Electrical wires, out in the open.

Bunch of random drilling holes in one of the walls. There were holes everywhere. Things were much worse behind the wallpaper.

Close up shot of all the wallpaper

Bonus shot of the closet in the kitchen. The brown stuff on the floor is mouse poops.

After all of that misery, the after shots.

Western wall after filling a ton of holes and paint, and a new floor.

Ugly fireplace is still ugly, but I didn't have the time to do anything about it.

Shot of entrance door.

Other shot of the eastern wall.

Shot of the ceiling. The ceiling was in bad shape and full of cracks. I filled in the cracks and set about repainting. Bubbles/airpockets started showing as soon as we started painting. Turns out someone wallpapered the ceiling or something, and it started flaking in some places.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Electrical wires, out in the open.

This looks like cable TV cord (rg-11 or whatever it's called.) Sloppy, but pretty standard and completely safe as it's low voltage. Are you sure it's 120v electrical wire?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Accent trim!! That room was so fresh it hasn't even become a thing, yet.... :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

H110Hawk posted:

Bedframes are pretty interchangeable as far as I know. Get one that has the features you want and isn't the cheapest one. (unless you want to replace it every 5-10 years.) Go to a matress store and ask what they sell. Lie and say your matress is 2 years old so you don't need to replace it.

Also you don't take apart box springs. They're there to offer a sturdy base to the matress. It's just a matress shape that weighs like a quarter as much. Don't over think it. If you want a short bed without the box spring base you can get away with high quality and thick plywood as I understand it, but Google that.

BadSamaritan posted:

If you're concerned about having to repeatedly move a box spring, you could look into buying a slatted bed frame. I found them very easy to move with in cramped buildings, and cats can't burrow into them which is a big plus for us. (He doesn't mess with any other furniture, but will destroy a box spring to hang out in it...)

Yeah, box springs seem to be a bad idea given how moving poo poo in New England, land of the small hallways, is such a pain in the rear end. I've had platform beds with wooden slats my entire adult life, and I've been considering making my next one a Zinus, but I have no idea how to tell if what I think is good is, like...actually good, you know what I mean? I don't know how to judge platform beds on quality, longevity, if something is plain bullshit, etc. Does that seem like a good option?

Pics of the one in question. I guess I'd be concerned with the mattress slipping off or something.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 19, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ours is like that plus drawers on one side.
I appreciate the fabric covering on that. Trust me, it's better to have your mattress slide a little than to mash your shins on the corner.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, box springs seem to be a bad idea given how moving poo poo in New England, land of the small hallways, is such a pain in the rear end. I've had platform beds with wooden slats my entire adult life, and I've been considering making my next one a Zinus, but I have no idea how to tell if what I think is good is, like...actually good, you know what I mean? I don't know how to judge platform beds on quality, longevity, if something is plain bullshit, etc. Does that seem like a good option?

Pics of the one in question. I guess I'd be concerned with the mattress slipping off or something.

We have this one, it's fine. There's about a one inch gap between the slats and the side rail. Your mattress isn't going to slip off.

The only thing I'd suggest is some pool noodle/pipe insulation on the middle feet. They're placed *exactly* where you'll run into them all the time.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

H110Hawk posted:

This looks like cable TV cord (rg-11 or whatever it's called.) Sloppy, but pretty standard and completely safe as it's low voltage. Are you sure it's 120v electrical wire?

It's 230V because I'm in Europe, and definitely electric wire. It lead into a socket box, and I power from it just fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

It's 230V because I'm in Europe, and definitely electric wire. It lead into a socket box, and I power from it just fine.

Welp. That's classy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Welp. That's classy.

My house was goddamn covered in them.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Dance Officer posted:

Seems pretty normal in older UK houses. If you don't want to fix it properly right now you could just stick it into some mini trunking and forget about it for another 10 years.

Mine had a lot of them where spurs had been added to electrical sockets (during the 50's it was seemingly standard practice to only put one socket in each room).

If you are taking that lovely vinyl flooring out and have a wooden floor below it and the joists are agreeable you can easily just reroute the cable under the floor by chiseling out a route behind the skirting board. If you do this carefully you can get away without any filling or plastering..

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For rodent control, this company wants to close up the siding on the bottom using galvanized sheet metal between the aluminum siding and concrete foundation. They claim it will drain fine and no moisture issues. Sound reasonable? They want a lot of money but I'd like to never have mice again.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Friend of mine is looking at buying a house. It's dumb for a number of reasons (traditional, well-kept interior in a 1920s house with a euro-efficiency style kitchen with LEDs) but one of the biggest ones is the garage.

The house flipper - I'm assuming - built a stand alone garage. The garage is built with cinderblocks walls and a curved metal roof. There's a wooden floor built above where the cars park that can be used for storage. That floor is supported by 2x12's that are rest on by two giant pieces of framing lumber that are bolted to the brick, and nothing else. Maybe the struts have a centimeter at most where they're on the brick, but probably not even that.

Problem is that they didn't seal where the metal roof connects to the brick so there's water all over the structural wood. I guess when he did the initial walk through there was a little water damage visible, but two weeks later the wood is literally turning black and growing mushrooms from the water, and the rot is spreading on both sides. I gotta get pictures of it because it's insane.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

jerry seinfel posted:

Friend of mine is looking at buying a house. It's dumb for a number of reasons (traditional, well-kept interior in a 1920s house with a euro-efficiency style kitchen with LEDs) but one of the biggest ones is the garage.

The house flipper - I'm assuming - built a stand alone garage. The garage is built with cinderblocks walls and a curved metal roof. There's a wooden floor built above where the cars park that can be used for storage. That floor is supported by 2x12's that are rest on by two giant pieces of framing lumber that are bolted to the brick, and nothing else. Maybe the struts have a centimeter at most where they're on the brick, but probably not even that.

Problem is that they didn't seal where the metal roof connects to the brick so there's water all over the structural wood. I guess when he did the initial walk through there was a little water damage visible, but two weeks later the wood is literally turning black and growing mushrooms from the water, and the rot is spreading on both sides. I gotta get pictures of it because it's insane.

So now he's running away from it right?... RIGHT?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

baquerd posted:

For rodent control, this company wants to close up the siding on the bottom using galvanized sheet metal between the aluminum siding and concrete foundation. They claim it will drain fine and no moisture issues. Sound reasonable? They want a lot of money but I'd like to never have mice again.

Do you have a picture of this process? Does the cost involve replacing some siding?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Hughlander posted:

So now he's running away from it right?... RIGHT?

I'n trying so hard to convince him not to buy it. So so hard. His wife loves the hideous kitchen for some reason though.

The kitchen that has two steps leading down into it, is about 3feet wide, and the fridge opens and hits the steps

Anyway here's one pic of the mold

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Siri, what's a joist hanger

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

jerry seinfel posted:

I'n trying so hard to convince him not to buy it. So so hard. His wife loves the hideous kitchen for some reason though.

The kitchen that has two steps leading down into it, is about 3feet wide, and the fridge opens and hits the steps

Anyway here's one pic of the mold

Naw. This is bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Looks like some high quality mycostructure there.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

So anyway here's some more

This is the house! Pretty standard for the area, recently renovated and painted, and looks in very good condition for a house from the 1920s

Wait what

No no no no no no no

There's this giant door that leads to the backyard that's made to look like tarnished brass that I didn't get a picture of as well. It's chaos back near the kitchen.

Like I said, the refrigerator opens and hits the stairs when it's at 90 degrees. There's a separate freezer that's just in this giant sliding door closet. It's on a big metal platform but it isn't secured at all so if you open it slightly too hard it almost falls over.

and one final picture that shows some of the fungi

jerry seinfel fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 23, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jerry seinfel posted:

No no no no no no no

There's this giant door that leads to the backyard that's made to look like tarnished brass that I didn't get a picture of as well. It's chaos back near the kitchen.

Like I said, the refrigerator opens and hits the stairs when it's at 90 degrees. There's a separate freezer that's just in this giant sliding door closet. It's on a big metal platform but it isn't secured at all so if you open it slightly too hard it almost falls over.

aw yeah that's the combination of moronic bougie poo poo and disregard for both practicality and style I've learned to expect from flippers

pull off an outlet cover and you're going to find bare copper connected to knob and tube with masking tape

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
So, there's no upper cabinets in that kitchen? Where will all the stuff go???