Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

KodiakRS posted:

Luckily MOCHAHAGTDI has stayed in Boston and not spread like SEEYA.

I haven't heard that much since Boston John retired.

Edit: Boston John is the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I always say take care because my friend that works in the Denver tracon does it and he said it drives other controllers crazy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

I always say take care because my friend that works in the Denver tracon does it and he said it drives other controllers crazy.

We have a controller that reads 29.99 altimeters with the Mario Brothers underground theme cadence.

It loving annoys the poo poo out of me now that I realize he’s doing it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
There’s a Denver center controller that always says “welcome aboard” and “we’re advertising good/okay/bad rides today”

He’s my favorite. I waiting for the day I hear it’s him before checking on so I can ask for permission to board.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
There's a guy who works Big Sky approach/departure who always sounds really chipper and happy to be at work.

I'm pretty sure it annoys some people, but the guy sounds like he seriously loves his job, so it always makes me feel a little better when I'm finishing a long trip, get handed over to Big Sky, and the person on the other end of the radio sounds thrilled to talk to me, even if it's pushing midnight.

On the flip side of the coin, there was a woman who worked as a ramp controller at SEA who had some kind of dysphonia that caused her to draw out words that started with an "A" or an "H". Unfortunately, Alaska and Horizon both have a huge presence in SEA, so having to listen to "Aaaaaaaalaska 1234, give way to Hhhhhhhorizon, then clear to push" got really painful when the ramp frequency was busy, but I felt bad for the woman, since she was good at the job but just took way too long on the radios.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone familiar with Flying Cloud airport? Just what the gently caress exactly is that pavement addition on the south side of runway 10R? There are structures on it that I don't recognize, maybe lighting? A weird assed glideslope antenna?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Figured it out. It's an END-FIRE glideslope antenna.

loving weird looking and I don't get why it was necessary there.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

Figured it out. It's an END-FIRE glideslope antenna.

loving weird looking and I don't get why it was necessary there.

Never heard of that before, that looks weird as hell

https://wattsantenna.com/product/model-105-frangible-end-fire-glide-slope-antenna-system

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm thinking the proximity of the parallel taxiway precludes installing a normal antenna. Funny how it's described as cost-saving, but look at all the extra pavement it took to install that thing.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

The Ferret King posted:

I'm thinking the proximity of the parallel taxiway precludes installing a normal antenna. Funny how it's described as cost-saving, but look at all the extra pavement it took to install that thing.

I guess the savings comes from not needing a smooth ground plane out as far as you can go in front of the antennas so the images form correctly.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Add to the lessons learned the hard way file:

Get your medical done long before you actually need it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

Add to the lessons learned the hard way file:

Get your medical done long before you actually need it

Lesson learned. Lesson 2: find an AME that will give you any medical so long as you are breathing.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Did my ASES checkride today, let's get that OP updated!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

rldmoto posted:

Did my ASES checkride today, let's get that OP updated!

That takes a checkride in the States?

I learned something today.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Well, it's a different category of airplane, so it's another rating. You've got single engine land and sea, multi engine land and sea.

Unless I'm mistaken, light sport pilots can just get an endorsement.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
We have to do a checkride, but apparently up there you need to do solo takeoffs and landings which would cause seaplane schools down here conniptions. You don’t get to rent a seaplane without an instructor or examiner in one of the seats.

On the plus side, it’s a really fun way to get to skip a biennial flight review since new ratings reset the BFR clock.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I'm 4 days into my paramotor lessons and did my first flights today. Its every bit as amazing as I had hoped. I'm a bit worn out and bruised up from all the work on the ground beforehand, but actually getting the motor and wing on my back and just running into the air is amazing. Hit some very mild turbulence on a few flights, as the morning was turning into midday and thermals were beginning to form, but never felt uncomfortable or in danger. Also had a motor out and radio out at the same time on my 3rd flight, since I accidentally bumped the motor kill switch while trying to fix my radio. Just came in for a very easy landing. Landing is fairly simple and comfortable, never slid it in on my butt or broke any gear.

Taking off on that thing is the most scary/uncomfortable part. Getting the wing up and under control while trying to stay even on that throttle is going to take a lot of practice before I don't feel like I'm going to faceplant, or fall backwards and break a prop.

Overall, I love it. Just a few more days of training and I'm (hopefully) good to fly on my own.

AWSEFT please add Paramotor to my entry in the OP. :D Thanks.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I swear if I hear one more student bitch about how it's very uncool we're not starting their cross-country flights in marginal VFR visibility, I'm going to be completely done with the idea that I "shouldn't waste their money" and take them up in an IFR-equipped aircraft to demonstrate just how poo poo 3SM visibility actually is.

I get that everyone wants to get their license done and whatnot, and the forest fire smoke has been very frustrating, but I could do with a gently caress sight less bitching from the people who don't have paycheques depending on this. I don't understand why some students believe it's some grand conspiracy on our part to delay them and not go flying -- what do we have to gain?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Someone online is selling this. I think it's hilarious, some of my co-workers, not so much...

https://imgur.com/a/pXypQeR

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 23, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Someone online is selling this. I think it's hilarious, some of my co-workers, not so much...

This is not something I'd wear to work, but it is something I'd buy and give to co-workers as a gift :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

:tviv:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

I swear if I hear one more student bitch about how it's very uncool we're not starting their cross-country flights in marginal VFR visibility, I'm going to be completely done with the idea that I "shouldn't waste their money" and take them up in an IFR-equipped aircraft to demonstrate just how poo poo 3SM visibility actually is.

I get that everyone wants to get their license done and whatnot, and the forest fire smoke has been very frustrating, but I could do with a gently caress sight less bitching from the people who don't have paycheques depending on this. I don't understand why some students believe it's some grand conspiracy on our part to delay them and not go flying -- what do we have to gain?

They're paying you because you know more than them, otherwise you wouldn't be "instructor" and they wouldn't be "student". why do you care what they think?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

They're paying you because you know more than them, otherwise you wouldn't be "instructor" and they wouldn't be "student". why do you care what they think?

Well, I don't care what they think -- at least it hasn't so far, and won't, influence my decision to go on a flight when I believe it would be a bad idea to do so, but the complaining can be annoying. And it really just is a small minority of students, but as always, the loudest, most annoying ones are the ones you tend to remember.

Also, I actually want to go flying too, which is why I'd happily do a "scared-straight" navigation lesson in 3SM visibility or something, but some of the more experienced instructors where I work don't think it's a good idea, and just as students should listen to instructors because we have more experience, I should listen to more experienced instructors even when I don't like what I hear.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

:D Can you update my entry in the OP please?

Two hours before the scheduled start time, my CFI told me that the DPE was running behind on another checkride, and instead of him coming to meet me at my home airport as planned, I would be flying out to meet him at an airport I'd only been to once for a touch and go. :derp:
My CFI had me so ridiculously over-prepared for the maneuvers on our mock rides that the actual experience yesterday was surprisingly quick and painless. And actually I feel like making the solo flight over to the examiner was a pretty great confidence boost once I got in the air.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reztes posted:

Two hours before the scheduled start time, my CFI told me that the DPE was running behind on another checkride, and instead of him coming to meet me at my home airport as planned, I would be flying out to meet him at an airport I'd only been to once for a touch and go. :derp:
My CFI had me so ridiculously over-prepared for the maneuvers on our mock rides that the actual experience yesterday was surprisingly quick and painless. And actually I feel like making the solo flight over to the examiner was a pretty great confidence boost once I got in the air.

Congratulations! Over-preparation is the way to go, you end up feeling so much better on the checkride when you're not trying to white-knuckle it through with the minimum experience possible. That solo cross-country confidence booster is also awesome, and now you have a cool story to tell about your checkride after the fact.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Reztes posted:

Congrats! Don't stop flying now, like half the friends I know who got their PPL, keep going as much as you can!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nuggan posted:

Congrats! Don't stop flying now, like half the friends I know who got their PPL, keep going as much as you can!

Buy a plane or a share of a plane so you will feel bad if you're just throwing money at it and never flying, as opposed to just throwing money at it while enjoying it :v:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

azflyboy posted:

Yeah, saw this earlier this week and ordered mine after it was forwarded to me by a fellow goon who was like :stonklol: about it. I'd feel differently about it if there were passengers who'd died, but as is...

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Nuggan posted:

Thanks! I'm definitely hooked and planning to dive right into my instrument rating as soon as I can find a good CFII. I had basically always wanted to be flying, but convinced myself up till this year that it just wasn't a viable choice for me for one reason or another. Now I realize I'm fortunate enough to have the resources to sink into going commercial without even taking on a pile of debt, and the limited flying I've done so far has basically just cemented that this is something I really want to pursue. Like I'm fairly sure I feel prouder after passing the checkride yesterday than I did about earning my dumb ol' business degree.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reztes posted:

Thanks! I'm definitely hooked and planning to dive right into my instrument rating as soon as I can find a good CFII. I had basically always wanted to be flying, but convinced myself up till this year that it just wasn't a viable choice for me for one reason or another. Now I realize I'm fortunate enough to have the resources to sink into going commercial without even taking on a pile of debt, and the limited flying I've done so far has basically just cemented that this is something I really want to pursue. Like I'm fairly sure I feel prouder after passing the checkride yesterday than I did about earning my dumb ol' business degree.

Awesome! Whether or not you plan to actually do this as a job and/or career, I encourage you to keep improving your skills and learning as much new stuff as you can. Two years ago I thought I was just going to do this as a hobby once I got current again, and now I'm an instructor, so... yeah.

Related to this: sorry about the bitching about my job last night. I went for drinks with some folks from my "old life" last night and, uh, compared to their complaints about their jobs and all that poo poo, I loving love my job and I'm lucky as poo poo to do what I do even if I have to deal with some attitudes I don't like from students who are maybe just a bit too enthusiastic to go flying. Part of my learning process as an instructor will, of course, be to deal with these situations, and just as I expect my students to suck it up and deal with the fact that sometimes mother nature fucks us over, I must likewise accept that sometimes students are going to make unreasonable demands and I can't get pissed off about it, only teach them to exercise better judgement.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I took my first real flight as a private pilot today, little 80 mile cruise down to a new airport for lunch at the cafe there. :)

I fuckin love greasy diner food and that seems like 95% of airport restaurants so if nothing else visiting all the airport restaurants will keep me flying until my arteries clog and I fail a medical :D

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I have my first student going for a PPL flight test tomorrow. I'm 99% sure that right now I am more nervous than he is, and 100% sure that I'm more nervous now than waiting for any of my own flight tests. I assume this is like why people are afraid of flying because it's out of their control, not because it's dangerous.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
12 month LOE done. Good for another year: I had the flu and the weakest FO I’ve ever flown with. (Nice guy, just terrible...) thankfully, it was easy with leg 1 being an antiice failure in ice conditions that resolved, and leg 2 being an IRS failure with cat II downgrade and SFO at cat II mins so a diversion to SJC.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Annual inspection complete.

Got to love spending a day with a mechanic pulling your plane apart.

Fixed my slightly wobbly passenger seat. Spent more time struggling to get it back on the rails than fixing the wobble.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

PT6A posted:

I have my first student going for a PPL flight test tomorrow. I'm 99% sure that right now I am more nervous than he is, and 100% sure that I'm more nervous now than waiting for any of my own flight tests. I assume this is like why people are afraid of flying because it's out of their control, not because it's dangerous.

Just guard the controls dog and you got it. That’s the secret of instructing. Keep it inside your comfort zone.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
He's no longer in the plane to be able to guard the controls, hence the source of the anxiety.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Perfectly normal.

You’ll be deadass grabbing the controls and calmly explaining how your absolute last second maneuver prevented a crash in no time.

Once you’re comfortable enough to just deadass sit there with your hands on your lap letting them make the loving WORST DID SOMETHING JUST BREAK landings you’ll know you’ve arrived. :discourse:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I understood what you meant, PT6A. It's ok. I'm sure they're ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Finished my paramotor training last weekend. It's an amazing and incredibly freeing form of flight. Just knowing I can come home from work on a nice day and go fly without having had to have rented a plane a day in advance is wonderful. I recommend it to everyone to give it a try!