Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's been a super busy last few days. I finished up the 20b engine mounting and I'm done messing with it. I could sneak another 1/8" clearance in a few spots, but it fits great as is. The rest of the photos are the two FD's I tore apart yesterday and then tore the motors down today at Rob's. I'm exhausted and the details will have to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:kimchi:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Seconded. Hope I have one of those (interested in helping I mean) in a few years too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
She's super fun. Until she tries to play in the 5 gallon bucket of coolant I left out...

Too tired for context. Engine nearly ready to assemble.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Those last two shots... is that part of the turbo or some other part?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Stationary gear bearings... basically main bearings.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tiny bit worn, there.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

That's some impressive bearing wear. Oil starvation for an extended time period or high revs?

Edit: I'm starting to see that kind of wear on renesis engines that have used the factory recommended 20 weight oil for their entire life.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mazda seriously recommends 20w, like 5w-20 or something?
Man, I’ve always used nothing but 20w-50 in my rotaries.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, the RX-8 oil cap says 5-20 which, lol.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Series 1s have a 5-20 recommendation, series 2s have a 5-30. I talked my buddy into running 10-30 vr1 during winter and 15-40 rotella during summer in his s2. Hes nearing 100k with no problems on the stock motor. :toot:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Stationary gear bearings is correct. The rotors bearings were also toast. The car overheated at one point and Rob theroizes that the babit was baked off those. The stationary definitely show advanced wear. Glad we tore it apart.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

I'm a three hour drive away with a bank envelope full of cash- guesses as to what I'm buying next? :D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A cosmo?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But does it have a mural on the tailgate showing itself fighting Smaug?

https://twitter.com/cosmikstring/status/1032484254796529667

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It's gotta be another RX-7. Saving the planet, one rotary at a time. :allears:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
A doghouse

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Larrymer posted:

It's gotta be another RX-7. Saving the planet, one rotary at a time. :allears:

You win.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Dagen H posted:

A doghouse

And so do you.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I mean, it is a rotary thread.

1993 Base Model, Leather Interior, Rebuilt motor. Needs wiring harness and brakes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Funny question - do you have the ability to accurately measure the tapers on the 20B 3rd lobe? I'm basically looking for datapoints on how much press fit Mazda designed it to have. If you have time, of course.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have access to a 3d scanner, Fero arm, or CMM. What’s proffered?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Heh. CMM or calipers... actually, hang on.

Completely rear end-pulled taper spec on that part - basically trying to figure out an example of IDs that define the taper on the lobe, and corresponding ODs on the shaft, that are known to work. In an ideal world distance between those diameters to determine the taper angle too. I know there's going to be some degree of interference fit with the parts assembled and torqued because that's how taper joints work, but I don't know what Mazda designed it to, and I've literally never seen a 3-rotor shaft in person.

Working on design of a 4-bearing (real bearings, no needle bearings) short crank 3-rotor shaft that I can lathe out for roadrace purposes. Horsepower target is 500+ at the flywheel which I know is within capabilities of production 20B based peripheral ports but I figure I can cut costs and increase time between overhaul by having a better supported shaft.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

the spyder posted:

I have access to a 3d scanner, Fero arm, or CMM. What’s proffered?

CMM. Especially one that has analog scanning capability (I.E. Renishaw SP20 or REVO)

What software are the Faro and CMM running? Calypso?

E: If you need CMM programming tips, HMU.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Last week I tore apart and rebuilt the motor in this 93 R1. There's a long story, but the short version is the oil control rings are shot and the car needs to be sold. Can't sell a car with a bad motor, so... 5 days later. I started it last night and drove it 10 miles this morning. It's going to be a great car for someone.

Next up: Montego blue FD.

The little one has been hanging out in the shop and today she discovered Chinese finger traps. Good thing the drum sander fried the motor, otherwise I would be missing 4/5 drums/sanders.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 28, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Man, the FDs... you know, this sounds weird from someone with an Efini tattoo, but I've never driven one. Sitting in one it seems like I just don't fit. Sigh.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

They're great if you're 5'7".

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

lol owned

Larrymer posted:

They're great if you're 5'7".

Probably speak for half the thread when I say I can't justify it but I want to buy that white fd

How's 5'11'' fit?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

How much would a FD like that go for in your neck of the woods?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been busy as always- but my laptop is dying so enjoy the pics until tomorrow's update.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I like when you clean up pretty cars and make them brap again.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Spyder pic dump :neckbeard:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Lots of good stuff.
Also blow-by/oil where it shouldn't be, flood(?) damage signs of rusty relays, and a busted turbo compressor wheel. It should be an interesting update.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
TLDR: Mad at rotaries. Let's work on a CELICA instead. Oops the paint fell off and it's about to rain.

If you've been following along, this dilapidated Celica has been hiding in the back ground for the last year or so. A friend dragged it over and at some point it was decided I now own it. Over the last year it's been growing on me. Recently I saw a friend-of-a-friend's beams swapped RA20 and now I'm hooked. Last weekend I had a few friends over and we decided to strip the car just to see what was there. Que a complete shift in priorities as I try to clean this up before the rain comes. Now I just really, really hated the rattle can black spray job. So what's a smart person do? Not buy 2 gallons of paint stripper, that's for sure. I'm still not sure what's going to happen to this car, except the paint job. And the back yard body work...when used fenders are $500+ shipping, body hammers and bondo go allowing way.

Why? Well, once I saw the original color (Scandinavian Blue) I kinda fell for it. HARD. A very very nice motor (NOT 20B) recently came into my possession, along with an equally nice turbo. I can't decide between fun street car and straight up drag car, but I do know it's going to be 600HP. As my friends put it, It's about time someone around here had a balls out classic Celica and I'm just the mad man to do it. Stay tuned :).

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
My only response, and I hope all of AI can concur, HELL loving YEAH.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo yeah. I love those old Celicas.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Repowering a dead Celica is a good and noble act.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

All for this.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
This thread delivers so many automotive dreams time and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The LeproCelica