Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

banned from Starbucks posted:

Maybe its just me but ive already mostly lost interest in squad building. I think they went too far with making upgrades mediocre/bad. Like i've played wave 3-4 already where everyone just ran efficient generics, (the 3B 2A wave) it wasnt that interesting. Theres gotta be some kinda middle ground between this and Expertise/K2/Dengar

I see what you mean, but on the other hand 90% of upgrades in 1e were mediocre/bad too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

guts and bolts posted:

You're not crazy and I sure am in this area! The X-Wing night at Atomic Empire is Tuesday and everyone's usually gaming by around 6pm. They're in the midst of finishing their last 1.0 store league, which has produced some hilarious results because people do not like 1.0 and want to play 2.0, so they are therefore intentionally losing games so that they may be mathematically eliminated from the league while not being That Guy who just shows up, forfeits, and then fucks off to play Monopoly (or in this case 2.0).

What this means in actuality is that 2.0 games are extremely common. There's usually about ten or so people playing on a given night, but I expect that number to rise as 2.0 becomes genuinely available - lots of people are currently interested in the product, but have no means of acquiring it yet.

That's kinda hilarious, actually. I don't have any 2.0 stuff just yet, but maybe I can manage to proxy enough stuff that it will work.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Last time I played in an AE league they had a horrific system. Like you got matched up with someone and just hoped they showed up. It was a giant waste of time for someone who doesn't live right next to the store, which is in an odd area.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

guts and bolts posted:

I get that, but that's why I was saying that X-Wing 2.0 isn't "a new book that came out for your existence army that updates the rules." The foundations of the game have changed, and a lot of stuff is straight up completely different. It isn't a codex or whatever for your space marines - it is a new game, albeit a "sequel" in most every sense of that word.
It's FFG treating it as a boardgame when it's really not. It's the same kind of problem that WotC had with their wargame offerings because they tried to market them with the CCG model. The mapping isn't a direct one and some people will pitch a fit over it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arquinsiel posted:

It's FFG treating it as a boardgame when it's really not. It's the same kind of problem that WotC had with their wargame offerings because they tried to market them with the CCG model. The mapping isn't a direct one and some people will pitch a fit over it.

I see words like "problem," but every time someone elaborates I get questionable assertions like "cash-grab" and "unethical."

I ask because this is literally the most painless edition conversion I've ever seen for any product of any kind, anywhere.
a) The new edition was sorely needed, rules-wise
b) I can re-use every ship in my fleet, except the epic ones
c) I have heaps of new content to explore with that stuff.
d) I can expect continued support for this game that I dearly love, for the foreseeable future

There's no realistic way for FFG to provide any of those without charging for them. Other than the fact that, gasp, FFG wants to earn back their investment into the development of the product as well as create future revenue streams, what "problems" are there?

Please enlighten me, because I sure can't see them.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ConfusedUs posted:

:reasonable things:

Don't try to make sense of entitled whiny pissbabies. They are unmanageable, and they like being that way.

Best thing to do with people who bitch about how FFG is handling the new version is to ignore them. They're just making noise.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

Don't try to make sense of entitled whiny pissbabies. They are unmanageable, and they like being that way.

Best thing to do with people who bitch about how FFG is handling the new version is to ignore them. They're just making noise.

My 1e stuff is worth very little to me, because 1e has ceased to be enjoyable and has almost no entertainment value anymore. Especially in the competitive meta.
So I don't feel like I'm losing anything by 2e coming out.

In other words

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cobbsprite posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the app still not being out and not having seen any evidence of it besides mockups

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

I see words like "problem," but every time someone elaborates I get questionable assertions like "cash-grab" and "unethical."

I ask because this is literally the most painless edition conversion I've ever seen for any product of any kind, anywhere.
d) I can expect continued support for this game that I dearly love, for the foreseeable future

There's no realistic way for FFG to provide any of those without charging for them. Other than the fact that, gasp, FFG wants to earn back their investment into the development of the product as well as create future revenue streams, what "problems" are there?

It's a problem for neckbeard acceptance, that's it. A company can manage that to a point, but trying to shift one game style paradigm into the sales model into of always causes friction and gives the pissbabies lots to whine about. The reason I pointed out that WotC had similar problems in the way back when is that they basically killed their miniatures line's organised play by introducing set rotation. Apparently this really mattered to someone somewhere, even though I never saw a single tournament run here :shrug:

ETA: what they're really asking for is a time machine whereby FFG can go back and re-design the game so that this sort of sweeping improvement to the game won't require replacing any parts.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 22, 2018

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

alg posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the app still not being out and not having seen any evidence of it besides mockups

I mean.. it was useable on demo tablets at GenCon.

E: Maybe I’m making this up? I know I saw people around tablets at the X-Wing demo tables. And I swear I read online that they had the app to demo, because my friend and I were kicking ourselves for not stopping to check because of the line. HOWEVER, my attempts to find where someone said they demoed it haven’t come up with anything so now I’m not sure.

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 22, 2018

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I mean.. it was useable on demo tablets at GenCon.

E: Maybe I’m making this up? I know I saw people around tablets at the X-Wing demo tables. And I swear I read online that they had the app to demo, because my friend and I were kicking ourselves for not stopping to check because of the line. HOWEVER, my attempts to find where someone said they demoed it haven’t come up with anything so now I’m not sure.

Can confirm. The guy I demoed with made a point of showing it running on his iPad (albeit briefly). That’s why I was surprised after I got home to find it wasn’t downloadable yet.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played around with the app at Gen Con too. Walked right past it Sunday afternoon, and there was nobody else around so I just screwed around for a few minutes to build a ~175 point Dash.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

alg posted:

There were tablets set up at Gen Con that had the app running. It was fine, but didn't have all the features in that version yet

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Funzo posted:

I played around with the app at Gen Con too. Walked right past it Sunday afternoon, and there was nobody else around so I just screwed around for a few minutes to build a ~175 point Dash.

Speaking of which, lookit dis:

Dash Rendar (100)
Outmaneuver (6)
Proton Rockets (7)
Luke Skywalker (30)
Kanan Jarrus (14)
Stealth Device (*)
Outrider (14)
Rigged Cargo Chute (4)

Total: 181

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ConfusedUs posted:

The only thing that sucks is new content coming out in re-releases, which sort of forces you hand to keep rebuying ships you probably already have?
It sucks that you have to spend $20 for maybe 1 new pilot, but even that's more reasonable than the $100 epic buy in if you wanted to fly some ships in 1e.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I’m running a quick build tournament the weekend after release solely because I have absolutely zero confidence that the app will be working then.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The Gate posted:

That's kinda hilarious, actually. I don't have any 2.0 stuff just yet, but maybe I can manage to proxy enough stuff that it will work.

I have a Core 2.0, a Rebels conversion, and an Empire conversion. Anything I'm not using you're welcome to borrow to get where you're trying to go.

alg posted:

Last time I played in an AE league they had a horrific system. Like you got matched up with someone and just hoped they showed up. It was a giant waste of time for someone who doesn't live right next to the store, which is in an odd area.

I don't know enough about miniatures games leagues to know how to do it any better. "Next week you're supposed to play <person>" seemed intuitive, but I guess it blows if they just never show up.

Arquinsiel posted:

The most obviously parallel is a video game, though. Calling it "Second Edition" is probably the sticking point here, since that's not entirely what 2.0 is - it is more like "X-Wing 2: Electric Boogaloo" than it is strictly a rules update. And while it sure would have been great if the foundation of X-Wing was so strong as to obviate the need for ever revisiting that foundation, that obviously isn't the case. While I appreciate your devil's advocacy, I'm having a difficult time picturing what the expectation was going to be. Don't new codexes (codices?) or rulebooks in other miniatures games, uh, also cost money? Was the expectation that 2.0 would be a completely free update? If so, how would one account for the cost in man-hours and production value for doing this incredibly comprehensive, nuts and bolts overhaul? It really seems the core of the problem, such as it is, is "I don't want to spend more money on X-Wing." In which case, that's fine. Play 1.0, or don't. But I'm curious to see what the actual reasoning is behind calling 2.0 anything like an unethical cash-grab beyond "I don't want to spend more money on X-Wing." There does not appear to be any.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
X-Wing 2.0: It's everything, and we wanted more

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

guts and bolts posted:

I don't know enough about miniatures games leagues to know how to do it any better. "Next week you're supposed to play <person>" seemed intuitive, but I guess it blows if they just never show up.

Me/my LGS run them where you spend $5 to get a league sheet to record your games, you can play two games a week on game night, with wins giving you two points and losses one point, every four points you get a common league kit item (scarif base pilots, omicron group pilots, whatever) and every 12 gets you a rare league kit item (whether cards or tokens), and then you rebuy the sheet. Don't have to schedule matches, don't get hosed if your opponent shows up, only real downside is the store needs to be okay with ordering like, half a dozen season kits each time, and it's pretty easy to just keep a sheet at 10 points or whatever until the latest kit comes in and turn it in day one for tokens or whatever. Makes a lot less work on my part, at least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

guts and bolts posted:

The most obviously parallel is a video game, though. Calling it "Second Edition" is probably the sticking point here, since that's not entirely what 2.0 is - it is more like "X-Wing 2: Electric Boogaloo" than it is strictly a rules update. And while it sure would have been great if the foundation of X-Wing was so strong as to obviate the need for ever revisiting that foundation, that obviously isn't the case. While I appreciate your devil's advocacy, I'm having a difficult time picturing what the expectation was going to be. Don't new codexes (codices?) or rulebooks in other miniatures games, uh, also cost money? Was the expectation that 2.0 would be a completely free update? If so, how would one account for the cost in man-hours and production value for doing this incredibly comprehensive, nuts and bolts overhaul? It really seems the core of the problem, such as it is, is "I don't want to spend more money on X-Wing." In which case, that's fine. Play 1.0, or don't. But I'm curious to see what the actual reasoning is behind calling 2.0 anything like an unethical cash-grab beyond "I don't want to spend more money on X-Wing." There does not appear to be any.
It's not and it's kind of silly that you keep going down this route because GW's wargames now change rather dramatically between editions (the last two 40k editions have as much if not more cards per army than X-wing, but they're optional even in "official" play, templates are gone etc etc). This is more similar to how FFG handled the transition from Descent 1.0 to Descent 2.0, but with the focus of the game's community being on organised play rather than "RPG-lite-inna-box" the community's reaction is different. It also helped there that the heroes and monsters weren't repeated across editions so people always felt like they were getting new stuff rather than rebuying old. When I started getting into X-wing people made a big deal out of it being a cheap wargame, so I can see how some people might never have noticed just how much it cost to keep up with the meta as their frogs were boiled.

Competitive gaming always drags out the bad faith shitlers anyway, and TBH I don't think it was actually possible to do better than FFG did without it just being effectively the Force Awakens starter box again, even though that ended up being walked back a bit so people could keep using the old damage decks. This has actually been a really muted and reasonable response as edition changes go for most games, stuff like Battletech and Magic being notable exceptions.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yep. Wargame edition changes always make people angry. X-Wing also probably brought in a lot of people unfamiliar with edition transitions due to its more user friendly nature. FFG tied necessary physical cardboard components to models unlike any other wargame and, in conjunction with their upgrade card distribution model, made a weird situation for themselves when it came time to make dramatic changes. However, to restate it for the umpteenth time they handled it just about as well as they possibly could have. No reason to pay any attention to people who have weird unrealistic views on things that are in fact very good.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Just be a smart consumer and buy only one of everything so you see a new edition as an opportunity to get that second ARC you've been eyeing off.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Does anyone have a link to a list of how many generic pilots are in the kits? My google foo is failing me.

Kind of want to give this a whirl
edit: Changed it

[Captain Jonus (36)
Barrage Rockets (6)
Seismic Charges (3)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (28)
Barrage Rockets (6)
Seismic Charges (3)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (28)
Barrage Rockets (6)

Saber Squadron Ace (40)

Turr Phennir (44)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Raged fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 23, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm not really getting the positive comparison with 40K. Speaking personally, the change from 7th to 8th was a welcome one in which I only had to get the new Guard Codex to be able to bring every one of my models into a fight. In comparison, I've already spent significantly more getting the 2.0 core set and Rebel conversion box, and I still can't use all my models or lists I routinely used in first edition (i.e. four Y-Wings).

I dunno, maybe it's because I haven't been able to play competitively much for most of the past year or so, and haven't been burned out on 1.0. Or maybe it's because I place a lot more value in my head on the models over the cardboard, and the idea that I can't use a significant percentage of my models bothers me, especially when I've only ever played Rebels and this has never been an issue previously.

Like, I get why most of you are excited for 2.0 and don't mind the associated costs, but it does still suck in a lot of ways.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Raged posted:

Does anyone have a link to a list of how many generic pilots are in the kits? My google foo is failing me.

heres the rebels
https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/8oyoie/rebel_conversion_kit_contents/

empire but its kinda blurry
https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/8wj2xt/bomb_and_mine_tokens_will_not_be_included_in_the/

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm not really getting the positive comparison with 40k.
Just wait until they squat Small Marines.

I think I'm going to miss all the passive 1.0 mods. I flew a generic swarm and even with focuses just had a few rounds when I lined up for the kill box and just rolled poo poo blanks. I'd love to see another focus on both the red dice and green, to really make actions and manoeuvres count and take some swingyness out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm not really getting the positive comparison with 40K. Speaking personally, the change from 7th to 8th was a welcome one in which I only had to get the new Guard Codex to be able to bring every one of my models into a fight. In comparison, I've already spent significantly more getting the 2.0 core set and Rebel conversion box, and I still can't use all my models or lists I routinely used in first edition (i.e. four Y-Wings).

I dunno, maybe it's because I haven't been able to play competitively much for most of the past year or so, and haven't been burned out on 1.0. Or maybe it's because I place a lot more value in my head on the models over the cardboard, and the idea that I can't use a significant percentage of my models bothers me, especially when I've only ever played Rebels and this has never been an issue previously.

Like, I get why most of you are excited for 2.0 and don't mind the associated costs, but it does still suck in a lot of ways.

If you really, absolutely MUST run four Y-wings no matter what, borrow a couple cards for tournaments, or proxy it. How often are you running 1,000 point games that you can claim you won't be able to "use a significant percentage" of your models? A core set and conversion kit let you run multiples of every single ship in that faction, minus the Scurgg and Resistance.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

I think I'm going to miss all the passive 1.0 mods. I flew a generic swarm and even with focuses just had a few rounds when I lined up for the kill box and just rolled poo poo blanks. I'd love to see another focus on both the red dice and green, to really make actions and manoeuvres count and take some swingyness out.

I think the biggest missed opportunity in second edition was the dice. I wish they had decoupled damage from accuracy somehow.

I don't miss the crazy passive mods where everything was max damage all the time. If they were to go that route, I'd rather they just not use dice at all.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I think the biggest missed opportunity in second edition was the dice. I wish they had decoupled damage from accuracy somehow.

I don't miss the crazy passive mods where everything was max damage all the time. If they were to go that route, I'd rather they just not use dice at all.

I've always thought the dice are a weak point. I don't know how to change things but relying on randomness could lead to non-fun. I've definitely had multiple matches with me or the opponent getting frustrated because of randomness.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 23, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

Holy crap yes.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've always thought the dice are a weak point. I don't know how to change things but relying on randomness could lead to non-fun. I've definitely had multiple matches with me or the opponent getting frustrated because of randomness.

The biggest NPE for me in x-wing is rolling 4 defense dice and blanking out... like wtf.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't remember the exact percentage but I had a friend run a couple of numbers for me and statistically speaking unmodified green dice are way more likely to blank out than red dice by a pretty considerable margin.

Anecdotally it's like 99% of the time for me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Probably the single biggest, but rarely-discussed, aspect of high-level play is risk management.

In early 1.0 and now in 2.0, you have to plan for both the best and worst case scenario, dice-wise. Ask: I move in to attack here, what happens if my dice blank? How do I recover from that? Can I recover from that?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Some Numbers posted:

Holy crap yes.

I mean, they already have a way, is the frustrating thing. "If there are any uncancelled hits/crits in your attack roll, cancel all results and do 'X'."
2 red dice, if any hits uncancelled, do 5 damage. Or something like that.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

With respect, Warhammer rules/edition changes also, uh, cost money, do they not? You can reuse your minis but there's a new codex and you pay for it. Unless I'm mistaken.

The point here is that X-Wing is sui generis in terms of the niche it fills in miniatures games. You don't paint them. You don't fill in any of the fluff yourself. The emphasis is on OP and getting a competitive edge. It isn't just a rules change that 2.0 is effecting - basic principles of how the game function are changing or have been removed. And because the game isn't just minis and rulebooks - there's a huge element of cardboard and idiosyncratic move templates and such - comparing X-Wing 1:1 with other miniatures games is itself very silly.

ConfusedUs posted:

Probably the single biggest, but rarely-discussed, aspect of high-level play is risk management.

In early 1.0 and now in 2.0, you have to plan for both the best and worst case scenario, dice-wise. Ask: I move in to attack here, what happens if my dice blank? How do I recover from that? Can I recover from that?

This is why I'm fine with the coupled damage/accuracy dice rolls. The chances are very high that someone who says "I outflew that guy all game and lost strictly because of dice!!" is full of poo poo, myself included. If you are running a jousting list, you must acknowledge that you are putting your game in the hands of the dice more than someone who isn't strictly jousting. Those are just the breaks.

I vastly prefer the setup of early 2.0, where aces' best recourse for recouping the salary cap spent on them and being effective is to not get shot. if you feel like your dice betray you, circumvent them - do not get shot. You evade 100% of the red dice your opponent can't roll.

Aces are consequently harder to fly now and very, very pricey. Fail an action? Too bad. Want free information measuring for fake target locks? Nope. Dozens of un-fun token stacking upgrades and pilot abilities to make sure your Soontir Fel has a 0.00086% chance of taking damage? Gone.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Aces are consequently harder to fly now and very, very pricey. Fail an action? Too bad. Want free information measuring for fake target locks? Nope. Dozens of un-fun token stacking upgrades and pilot abilities to make sure your Soontir Fel has a 0.00086% chance of taking damage? Gone.

That's not hyperbole either. A tokened Inquisitor with Palp and autothrusters had a 1% chance of taking damage from a fully modded TLT volley.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not sure what the best solution would be with dice since obviously, in terms of game design in general, randomization ain't the greatest thing when it comes to answering the question of "does the thing I want to do work or not." However, in X-Wing I've consistently found one of the more frustrating things inevitability of certain setups. It used to be OG Palpatine aces and the inability to push any kind of meaningful damage through due to their maneuverability and easy choices that felt like you were a super good pilot when you flew them even though it was all kind of auto pilot. Following that it was the meta shift into more tanky builds and damage absorption/redistribution, with a healthy dose of bombs and other unavoidable damage sources. In any game if you create a system of randomization people will make every effort possible to eliminate it if you give them the opportunity to do so. It's a delicate balance because you never want people walking away from games truthfully saying they lost it to a bunch of bad dice rolls, but you don't want builds that are so consistent in terms of absorbing or producing damage that they rise to the top as a distinct "best" build.

I suppose it's a flaw with the general design of both X-Wing and wargames in general. In an ideal world you wouldn't be rolling anything and the numbers would be static, but that would require a very different game structure that would be significantly harder to balance or even simply conceptualize in the first place.

In short dice are bad but a necessary evil to make games of this nature more interesting.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I'm not sure what the best solution would be with dice since obviously, in terms of game design in general, randomization ain't the greatest thing when it comes to answering the question of "does the thing I want to do work or not." However, in X-Wing I've consistently found one of the more frustrating things inevitability of certain setups. It used to be OG Palpatine aces and the inability to push any kind of meaningful damage through due to their maneuverability and easy choices that felt like you were a super good pilot when you flew them even though it was all kind of auto pilot. Following that it was the meta shift into more tanky builds and damage absorption/redistribution, with a healthy dose of bombs and other unavoidable damage sources. In any game if you create a system of randomization people will make every effort possible to eliminate it if you give them the opportunity to do so. It's a delicate balance because you never want people walking away from games truthfully saying they lost it to a bunch of bad dice rolls, but you don't want builds that are so consistent in terms of absorbing or producing damage that they rise to the top as a distinct "best" build.

I suppose it's a flaw with the general design of both X-Wing and wargames in general. In an ideal world you wouldn't be rolling anything and the numbers would be static, but that would require a very different game structure that would be significantly harder to balance or even simply conceptualize in the first place.

In short dice are bad but a necessary evil to make games of this nature more interesting.

The truth is that the randomization of the dice makes maneuvering more impactful, not less. The lack of consistent defense dice mods (and, crucially, that Evades do not loving ADD results) means that you truly must be a good pilot to keep your fragile interceptor ace alive. You can't just kinda do whatever the gently caress you want and let your upgrades carry you, because they won't now. If you want guarantees, well, don't get shot on defense, and run Wedge with Outmaneuver on offense. You just gotta pay for those guarantees.

If anything I think green dice should be worse, though I'm okay with them as they exist in 2.0 today. Leave red dice capped typically at 3 for high powered ships, so one good volley doesn't obliterate every fighter, but green dice should be there as your emergency option or because your list is a go-to-Valhalla-shiny-and-chrome attrition squad.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Bad dice will lose you the game, but it's generally rare that that's the actual cause you lost. It's just easy to point at a roll that killed a ship and go "That was the moment I lost." When really it might have been the turn before when you moved into a spot that let your opponent catch you in three firing arcs the next round.

Paul Heaver didn't win a million games by never rolling badly. poo poo, there's games you can watch where he has bad turns. But rarely are they too costly to recover from, because he does what ConfusedUs mentions and almost never gets into spots where everything hinges on a dice roll. Good players don't want to get to that point, for the same reason that most people aren't going to, say, wager pink slips on a coin flip, or play Russian roulette.

Best thing you can do to git gud at X-Wang is after a bad turn, do a hypothetical "What if I'd done X instead?", ideally with your opponent but in your own head works too. Figure out where the fuckup was in the past couple rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Bad dice will lose you the game, but it's generally rare that that's the actual cause you lost.

This is so much the truth. I can only think of two Serious Business games where I truly lost due to dice.

1) Mustafar System Open 2017. FennZuckMan against Dash/Miranda. Lost Fenn, at range 3 through a rock, with a focus, to a single shot from Dash.(He had to roll 3 paint and a blank, re-roll the blank with Lone Wolf into a crit, me blank all dice, and the last crit deal double damage. Which is what happened. Managed to literally block Dash off the board with Zuckuss, and got Miranda down to 1hp(!) with Manaroo before losing her to the same situation (Had to take hit/hit/crit, crit for double, blanked evades).
2) Tulsa Regional 2018. Incredible Bulk vs Ghost/Fenn. I got the Ghost down to 3hp on the first round. I failed to deal so much as a single point of damage from that point on, despite multiple shots on the ghost with 10-12 dice a round. I rolled blank after blank after blank after blank. It was frustrating.