Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Which of you guys begging for more teasers fell asleep at the wheel?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1032344718829600769

Nothing exciting but enjoy the pretty pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taear posted:

I'd really enjoy more precursor stuff. More empires, more options and etc.
Since the quests are actually fixed now, why not!

I wish they had more ability to make events/quests a little more variable so you don't know the exact chain the moment you see it. Like some randomization, some branches.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Which of you guys begging for more teasers fell asleep at the wheel?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1032344718829600769

Nothing exciting but enjoy the pretty pictures.

I’m glad this’ll be in the outliner. Should be a really helpful reference. Also it’s just kinda cool looking at the output and seeing so much food from one place. That alone is enough to make it feel like a more interesting world than just having a bit of everything.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I really want that label system to work in reverse too - to be able to designate a planet to have a certain development pattern and have that auto build certain buildings and districts.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Going to drop this idea here for more suggestions/criticism and general dissection, since when I did so on the official forums in June, it got a few positive comments and then promptly dropped off the first page.

Making Biological Ascension more interesting

What do you guys think?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gimmick Account posted:

Going to drop this idea here for more suggestions/criticism and general dissection, since when I did so on the official forums in June, it got a few positive comments and then promptly dropped off the first page.

What do you guys think?

That link is erroring for me, and I can't find the thread on the forums. Try checking the link on another browser.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Taear posted:

I'd really enjoy more precursor stuff. More empires, more options and etc.
Since the quests are actually fixed now, why not!

I'd love if they borrowed stuff from Distant Worlds like unique planets with empire wide bonuses, ruins that give advanced tech and advanced government forms, fleet wrecks that can be repaired and claim, etc. Mostly stuff that adds lore and history/character to the universe.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Platonicsolid posted:

I really want that label system to work in reverse too - to be able to designate a planet to have a certain development pattern and have that auto build certain buildings and districts.

That's called sectors and already exists :v:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i fee like the lil picture banner should change to reflect the world type visually too

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kaal posted:

That link is erroring for me, and I can't find the thread on the forums. Try checking the link on another browser.

I think the forums hiccuped - it's working for me now.

E: possibly I needed to be logged into the paradox forums first, not quite sure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you're both running a xenophillic monarchy there's no reason why that shouldn't work.

A true xenophilic monarch would seduce even non xenophiles :quagmire:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but the other species succession laws probably wouldn't allow it, so you just get scandalous affairs.

Old King Xarglflurb the Weird went and stuck his ovipositor in a fungal blob from Xlrbzst IV again.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 22, 2018

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Gimmick Account posted:

What do you guys think?

Being able to create species out of whole cloth would be neat and I don't know why it's not already possible. You can already change their name, traits, and even appearance, all you'd need to is allow different phenotypes.

Tangentially related, I wish it was possible to use non-robotic portraits for synthetically ascended races. Robots that can pass as humans aren't exactly a rare thing in science fiction, and at the very least there should be something between that and "everyone in my empire looks like Mechazawa from Cromartie High School".

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Truga posted:

That's called sectors and already exists :v:

Okay, so maybe I just want more refined sectors. All my experience is the sector ai is dumb.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Jabarto posted:

Being able to create species out of whole cloth would be neat and I don't know why it's not already possible. You can already change their name, traits, and even appearance, all you'd need to is allow different phenotypes.

Tangentially related, I wish it was possible to use non-robotic portraits for synthetically ascended races. Robots that can pass as humans aren't exactly a rare thing in science fiction, and at the very least there should be something between that and "everyone in my empire looks like Mechazawa from Cromartie High School".

make it a rare tech and have 'bio-robots' get a different set of opinion modifiers from regular robots

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jabarto posted:

Robots that can pass as humans aren't exactly a rare thing in science fiction, and at the very least there should be something between that and "everyone in my empire looks like Mechazawa from Cromartie High School".

What? Didn't you just complain about not being able to use human portraits for robots?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
what are some good mods that make it so i don't have to manage the surfaces of 2935283 planets?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

AriadneThread posted:

make it a rare tech and have 'bio-robots' get a different set of opinion modifiers from regular robots

Oh great, now I'm trying to figure out which BSG character would lead each Stellaris faction.

Militarist: Bill Adama
Pacifist: Baltar (Post-New Caprica)
Spiritualist: Roslin
Materialist: Baltar (Pre-New Caprica)
Egalitarian: Zarek
Authoritarian: Cain
Xenophile: Helo
Xenophobe: Saul Tigh

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

what are some good mods that make it so i don't have to manage the surfaces of 2935283 planets?

Sectors are a vanilla feature

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Autobuild. It lets you customize your building proportions better than the sector AI and it works for core worlds too. It's not great for Rogue Servitors because it'll be building robot pops and buildings where you want to leave planets full of trophies but for everything else it's pretty great.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Patch 2.2

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nevets posted:

Oh great, now I'm trying to figure out which BSG character would lead each Stellaris faction.

Militarist: Bill Adama
Pacifist: Baltar (Post-New Caprica)
Spiritualist: Roslin
Materialist: Baltar (Pre-New Caprica)
Egalitarian: Zarek
Authoritarian: Cain
Xenophile: Helo
Xenophobe: Saul Tigh

Despicable Neutrals: Baltar

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Federations should be set up a lot more like the HRE in EU4. It exists as an entity with independent members that have mutual defence pacts to various degrees. Over time the player or AI can try to centralise and create reforms and more mutual cooperation between members (like fleets or stuff like free trade) but crucially a federation can exist in many different forms.

It’d also be a decent framework for certain empire types. Imagine being a single planet empire that controls a vast federation of vassal states either through imperial might or noble privilege.

Edit: something I’d like to see is de jure sectors. Galaxy gen has already moved towards tight clusters separated by a few choke points. Imagine your core sector being just your starting cluster and other clusters being a limiter on what you can control directly.

I would love that but also for there to be some kind of intrigue involved like lots of backroom deals and such all the way to the federation joining into one democratic state when in actuality it is ruled by you from the shadows.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

turn off the TV posted:

What? Didn't you just complain about not being able to use human portraits for robots?

I can't believe they'd insult Mechazawa's beautiful face by comparing him to a robot!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I’m gonna pull the trigger and buy the culture books.

Grab the first few at least, there's 10 of them altogether. I love Banks, it's refreshing reading sci-fi that's so optimistic.

This game is forever in a state where I can't bring myself to really get into a new game because there's some big changes coming down the pipes. I even have all the DLC, but I haven't really seen much past a few Utopia runs.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

turn off the TV posted:

Er, yes? I'm not sure how the quoted bit contradicts that.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
playing around with the new horizons mod the Federation council mechanics make being a Federation a lot more fun although it's still pretty passive gameplay.

I like how you can join other federations once you form the Federation and start eating each coalition member, adding their distinctiveness to your own. Once you add the last person you're once again an independent nation and join yet another federation and start eating them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Am playing a determined exterminator robbit empire :awesomelon:, which has extended significantly to a not inconsiderable size.

I am hemmed in on all sizes by organics that I border with, and yet not one of them will declare war with me.

I am part way through exterminating the first empire I encountered (just conquered half their empire before war exhaustion), which has been fully equivalent or superior to me the whole game, and the next target is an empire that has been fully pathetic the whole game (also border these dudes).

The other empires I share borders with to the north and east have both been superior to me most of the game and would rather fight each other than try to attack my robbits. This seems weird. Why am I not getting roflstomped?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Also I wish the stellaris steam workshop had the same version tags system that rimworld does, so I can search only for mods that work with 2.1, etc and not have to look at a sea of long outdated and completely useless mods.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I just went back to Stellaris and had a blast in spite of my bitterness about the removal of warp and wormhole FTL methods. Well, at least it was a blast until the last five minutes.

I was nearly done rolling up one front of a two fronted war and the main enemy had two planets left. I was ready to turn around and smash enemy number two like a bloated mosquito... and then it auto-peaced me out in a 'white peace' that nonetheless changed the entire map.

Right. Now I remember. THAT'S why I had stopped playing this game....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You do get a warning about that, you can declare status quo at any time if you're winning the war.

The main change I'd like to see is have "closed borders" be an option for peace which costs maybe 10-15 points, so if you're winning you don't have to open your borders to the person you just obliterated when you peace out.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Does it look significantly different from the other peace offers because I didn't see it? In EU4 there's this huge red flag and I think even a sound notification when an unconditional surrender has been offered. I mean, even then I think the status quo mechanic really sucks when its forced through from war exhaustion. I'd much rather see a different set of penalties instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's on the warscore panel when you reach 100% war exhaustion, you get I think a 2 year timer.

If you know you can't gain a total victory in one war, stake claims on what you want and take it, then status quo peace.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 23, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, a warning icon pops up in the top-left notification list and persists there for the entirety of 2 years. I'd say it's pretty hard to miss.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Erev posted:

Does it look significantly different from the other peace offers because I didn't see it? In EU4 there's this huge red flag and I think even a sound notification when an unconditional surrender has been offered. I mean, even then I think the status quo mechanic really sucks when its forced through from war exhaustion. I'd much rather see a different set of penalties instead.

Putting a timer on war is the only way to make a whole lot of war mechanics meaningful. We tried replacing it with penalties and it just meant all wars were to the death and there was no reason to fight delaying actions or otherwise do anything but throw up your hands and surrender when outmatched.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

You do get a warning about that, you can declare status quo at any time if you're winning the war.

The main change I'd like to see is have "closed borders" be an option for peace which costs maybe 10-15 points, so if you're winning you don't have to open your borders to the person you just obliterated when you peace out.

I don't think the current system would support that exactly since it's based entirely on casus belli as opposed to a points system like it used to be. I would like to see some kind of change along those lines though. Maybe open borders only applies one way if you win a Humiliate victory? That would give humiliation more of a reason for existing than it currently has.

Also, while I'm wishing, a way to declare war and only enforce certain claims would be really nice. Or to temporarily abandon claims mid war. I got screwed hard one game when I had claimed the entirety of one empire, was handily on my way cleaning up their systems, when a neutral third party decided to jump in and occupy their capital and a couple other worlds. Suddenly it was impossible for me to win because of the unoccupied claims malus, and I had to wait years for their weariness to tick up high enough that I could even claim a status quo. Not a great experience.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wish the 10 year peace and 2 year countdown weren't hard countdowns. Like, put an influence cost on each, start at 1000, have it tick down to 0 over their respective durations.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

Also, while I'm wishing, a way to declare war and only enforce certain claims would be really nice. Or to temporarily abandon claims mid war. I got screwed hard one game when I had claimed the entirety of one empire, was handily on my way cleaning up their systems, when a neutral third party decided to jump in and occupy their capital and a couple other worlds. Suddenly it was impossible for me to win because of the unoccupied claims malus, and I had to wait years for their weariness to tick up high enough that I could even claim a status quo. Not a great experience.

I reckon the best way to fix that would be to not apply the unoccupied claims malus if the claim is occupied by a third party.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the timer is even accurate to the day!

you have way more than enough time to wrap things up. often it's even to your advantage, because the AI is not as good at exploiting the timer as a player can be; a back-and-forth stalemate can transform into a decent victory if you push during the timer and then press for a peace.

i guess it seems like a strangely limiting system at first, but if you pay attention to your icons and aren't surprised by the impending end of the war, you should be able to end the war in a way that is favorable to you. keep in mind, too, that your frustration is from the perspective of an attacker - when you have to defend against a superior or overwhelming foe, you'll be glad to have a way to limit your losses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Archaeology Hat posted:

I reckon the best way to fix that would be to not apply the unoccupied claims malus if the claim is occupied by a third party.

That would help. More ways to boost warscore would also be nice. It feels really bad when you annihilate someone's entire navy, occupy all their systems, and they won't give up because you haven't landed troops yet. War's over, guys! Makes sense if they're fighting against a determined exterminator or something, but if they're just going to get occupied and absorbed into another empire they should be more willing to give up when they have no means of attack remaining.