Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s amazing. I’d love to see a full deep dive into that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sickening posted:

Our marketing people ordered a video conference solution straight from china! MAXHUB

Turns out, this thing must be a state sponsored spying device because infosec found this thing infested with a botnet client worm already pre-installed. It also sends out audio and video files to chinese IP's. This thing is stacked with fun toys like

Wifi Hot Spot Built In (Please connect all your devices)
Camera and Mic
Full windows computer
Wifi and Ethernet

This thing is basically a security nightmare and someone paid real money for it.

:stare: It's like my $50 ip camera baby monitor but enterprise. Please post updates.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Tab8715 posted:

One of my contract customers had a anti-fraternization policy with non-FTEs.

Socializing with vendors and contractors strictly forbidden. If you were onsite by yourself you’d walk through the cafeteria and sit all alone for lunch.

I think all of my contracts have that. Or I'm just not liked anymore

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

Our marketing people ordered a video conference solution straight from china! MAXHUB

Turns out, this thing must be a state sponsored spying device because infosec found this thing infested with a botnet client worm already pre-installed. It also sends out audio and video files to chinese IP's. This thing is stacked with fun toys like

Camera and Mic
Full windows computer
Wifi and Ethernet

This thing is basically a security nightmare and someone paid real money for it.

yup. I still remember when my company bought a bunch of cheap Chinese android tablets that flooded the market around Christmas 4-5 years ago and *SURPRISE* a wireshark of the device showed all sorts of traffic constantly being sent to Chinese IP addresses. Even after we flashed a vanilla version of android to one of them, it was still pinging the poo poo out of a bunch of Chinese IP's.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Camera and Mic
Full windows computer
Wifi and Ethernet

Hell yes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I went to a rooftop bar this evening during work and then stayed a bit past when I'd usually leave the office. The beers and a fairly decent cheeseburger + fries were covered by the company.

Also please give that VC box to a security researcher to write a blog about, it sounds amazing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

lovely cheap chinese electronics getting into sensitive parts of the enterprise is always super fun. Get those from time to time that flag us when they start trying to call home.

Really looking forward to rolling NAC out everywhere.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MF_James posted:

Can we not have a slap-fight about hanging out with co-workers vs your family vs being an ugly goon troll hiding in a basement; that is probably my least enjoyable recurring IT threads fight.
My personal favorite is the "my boss asked me to do something which would have taken until 5:01pm today, so I sent him a picture of my testicles, billed him quadruple for it, flicked my cigarette, and rode my Harley into the sunset" story we get every few weeks.

e: Depending on how you parse that sentence, I might be saying that our hero billed 4 times his usual rate for a picture of his testicles, which is certainly an option.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 22, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vargatron posted:

As an aside, molding technicians are some of the hardest drinkers and profligates known to man, but holy poo poo are they fun to be around.

I really enjoy drinking with field geologists.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My personal favorite is the "my boss asked me to do something which would have taken until 5:01pm today, so I sent him a picture of my testicles, billed him quadruple for it, flicked my cigarette, and rode my Harley into the sunset" story we get every few weeks.

e: Depending on how you parse that sentence, I might be saying that our hero billed 4 times his usual rate for a picture of his testicles, which is certainly an option.

What is 4x nothing?

Also, I will gladly buy someone a beer that does exactly what you said.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

One of my contract customers had a anti-fraternization policy with non-FTEs.

Socializing with vendors and contractors strictly forbidden. If you were onsite by yourself you’d walk through the cafeteria and sit all alone for lunch.

That seems excessive.

I once had to remind a member of staff that because he arranged to go out for a meal with a contractor who was staying over nearby and said contractor picked up the bill - you are probably heading towards declaring gifts received blah blah anti corruption policy - which I don’t really care too much about - however - where it will cause a problem is when the dude goes to eat lunch with the estates teams and boasts that he got free food from a contractor, estates dudes then all moan that they don’t get any free food off contractors and someone grassses him up for not following the policy which I think is basically don’t accept gifts.

I’m quite happy to take a don’t get caught attitude to it but wow don’t even talk to people in work haha

Sickening posted:

Camera and Mic
Full windows computer
Wifi and Ethernet

Our customer (the government!) queried our use of Lenovo computers for the potential risk of everything you have raised there

Can you send me that, so I can put it in front of them and :lol: as they have a breakdown please

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 23, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Just did a round of interviews for some new 1st line guys, our service desk handles more than just IT issues so we are looking for all rounders. We had 108 applicants for 3 positions and I didn't realise until a couple of days before sitting down for interviews that the poor candidates had to sit in front of their laptops and do a video interview before getting to this stage.

On one hand it was great, as we weeded out just under 100 applications so we only had 12 to meet with, I wasn't involved with that side as I am not managing this service desk I am just the local knowledge and they will be supporting me. The bad side is they had to do the video interview in one go, wtih a minute to record their answer to each question and only 30 seconds to read the question and formulate an answer before the recording started.

I would not have made it through that myself, they were all super nervous when they came in.

We had a weirdo, who came back to the office 5 times looking to find out if he had a job and made our receptionist very uncomfortable (huge alarm bells for me), but we also got three nice first choices who all accepted the role. Hooray! Two years of being the only person on the continent supporting three offices is finally about to end!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MF_James posted:

Can we not have a slap-fight about hanging out with co-workers vs your family vs being an ugly goon troll hiding in a basement; that is probably my least enjoyable recurring IT threads fight.

It was a fight?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hahaha holy poo poo

Imagine this happening to you

https://twitter.com/JohnLaTwC/status/1032267977633087488?s=19

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A friend of mine works there (not in IT). Said it was a pretty wild time.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

They missed a great ransom opportunity at that office. All the hard work was done for them.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

It's crazy to me that they didn't have backups of their DCs, don't you need that for ISO 27001?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

orange sky posted:

It's crazy to me that they didn't have backups of their DCs, don't you need that for ISO 27001?

That was my first thought too, but I love a good sneakernet solution in this day and age.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I have a question on how an include in spf would work.

I'm setting up spf for my domain (mydomain.com).
I use a third party to host my email server (reseller.com).

The spf for mydomain.com is this; "v=spf1 mx a include:reseller.com -all"
Reseller.com uses the following spf record; "v=spf1 ipv4:10.1.1.10 ipv4:10.1.2.20 ipv4:10.1.3.30 ~all"

Will the softfail (~all) in reseller.com's spf record cause any IP sending email as mydomain.com to softfail (other than mx/a for mydomain.com and the ipv4 entries in reseller.com)?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

orange sky posted:

I'm sure they had backups. The backups and backup systems were probably online and got encrypted as well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Filthy Lucre posted:

I have a question on how an include in spf would work.

I'm setting up spf for my domain (mydomain.com).
I use a third party to host my email server (reseller.com).

The spf for mydomain.com is this; "v=spf1 mx a include:reseller.com -all"
Reseller.com uses the following spf record; "v=spf1 ipv4:10.1.1.10 ipv4:10.1.2.20 ipv4:10.1.3.30 ~all"

Will the softfail (~all) in reseller.com's spf record cause any IP sending email as mydomain.com to softfail (other than mx/a for mydomain.com and the ipv4 entries in reseller.com)?

SPF include directives only return matching or non-matching, effectively ignoring the all directive on the included record.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skipdogg posted:

I'm sure they had backups. The backups and backup systems were probably online and got encrypted as well.

So...they didn't have backups?

I mean even if you don't follow the 3-2-1 rule, at least have the 1 part, i.e. the offsite NOT ONLINE part. I know everyone hates tapes now or whatever, but this is exactly the loving problem they would have made completely irrelevant, other than the time to copy backups onto new servers from tape. And hell, maybe you don't have that for your entire infrastructure, but for your DCs at least? (I mean, you should have your cert authority backed up and in a safe, right? Why not just stick a copy of the DC in there as well every month, if you're a gigantic multinational).

Also I liked the bit about reimaging laptops 20 at a time, with....USB sticks? What? Were they using good ol' Ghost or something (with duplicate SIDs)? I mean maybe if your laptops can't PXE boot, but what business laptops in this day and age can't do that, and why wouldn't you have SCCM. Or were they just (even worse) installing Windows manually on thousands of machines?

Basically the takeaway is yet another company ignoring proper security and backup procedures because what's the worst that could happen. I don't know if we're supposed to feel sorry for them - I feel sorry for the IT staff that had to put up with that and deal with the aftermath, but every single manager that went "eh I don't know, that security upgrade seems expensive and I mean everything's working fine, let's just do it later" can go ahead and get hosed.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

dogstile posted:

It was a fight?

In the past? Yeah they get pretty stupid.

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, the wired article specifically calls out lack of network segmentation as one of the problems they'd identified but not bothered to solve, so it's entirely possible their backups were wrecked before they knew what was going on.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol to not fixing your problem areas because it won’t give you a fat bonus

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Lol to having 20 people worth of work and only 2 people with which to do it.

Catastrophic failures are almost never the sys admin's fault. They are the business's fault. You want everything to work like it should? Give me enough staff to catch my breath.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Money too. Proper backups and DR is $$$ no one wants to spend because most of the time you don't need it for anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We had a client get crypto’d last week and they only got their data back because of a combination of the malware crashing before it could trash all of the shadow copies, and a third party vendor taking a copy of a vital application folder before an upgrade a few days before.

Three days after being dead in the water for half a week they were back on the “hmm I’m not really sure we need to go to the expense of proper backups” line of thought. If we don’t just drop them at this point I will be amazed.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
One of my old companies clients were crypto'd 2 months ago. Since I still do work for them I was involved. They are super paranoid about security now, absurdly so. I implemented certificate based wireless authentication and they are running a POC to implement 2FA on top of it :stare:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Are there videos or something similar for a crash course on active directory? I know the basics of adding, removing users and resetting passwords. I've never been in a position to do much more with it at least. I don't need to learn every detail like for a certification I just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about for an interview.

This going be at a tier 2 level. I just want to look and sound informed. At least look like I know what I'm taking for basic active directory using the technical terminology.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 24, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A little paranoia is a good thing when it comes to security.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DropsySufferer posted:

Are there videos or something similar for a crash course on active directory? I know the basics of adding, removing users and resetting passwords. I've never been in a position to do much more with it at least. I don't need to learn every detail like for a certification I just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about for an interview.

This going be at a tier 2 level. I just want to look and sound informed. At least look like I know what I'm taking for basic active directory using the technical terminology.
Udemy is having another $9.99 sale right now

https://www.udemy.com/topic/active-directory/

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Vulture Culture posted:

Udemy is having another $9.99 sale right now

https://www.udemy.com/topic/active-directory/

This looks like exactly what I need. I'm unsure what version of windows server is going to be used at the company I'm interviewing for but I'll assume 2012 like my last company. Should I take the 2016 course or the 2012 one? Is there much difference between windows server 2012 and 2016?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

This looks like exactly what I need. I'm unsure what version of windows server is going to be used at the company I'm interviewing for but I'll assume 2012 like my last company. Should I take the 2016 course or the 2012 one? Is there much difference between windows server 2012 and 2016?

Go with whichever is cheapest or has better reviews.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
All else being equal, generally stick to the more recent stuff if you're concerned with career development, but AD isn't exactly a fast-moving piece of software.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DropsySufferer posted:

Conceptually AD is pretty much the same across Server platforms, but 2012 and 2016 have different feature sets and tools.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sepist posted:

One of my old companies clients were crypto'd 2 months ago. Since I still do work for them I was involved. They are super paranoid about security now, absurdly so. I implemented certificate based wireless authentication and they are running a POC to implement 2FA on top of it :stare:

And yet they probably insist on leaving SMB1 on for their MFC.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Not sure if it's me but I were learning AD I'd honestly look at the Windows Server 2008 R2 Material or even older. The new makes way too many assumptions about the reader experience and you won't really know how stuff works.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A little paranoia is a good thing when it comes to security.

the problem is that the people who get stuck with it are usually infrastructure instead of applications

Our application got owned because the admin page was publicly accessible using default credentials -> "Uh that never would have happened if there was a firewall in front of it!!" -> "Infrastructure, please implement web application firewalling"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DropsySufferer posted:

There’s some stuff on YouTube. Quite a few videos actually. You can probably find a copy of the oreilly ad book in pdf format by looking on a search engine.

I take about 45 minutes to give my crash course. If you want I’ll setup a webex and answer any questions you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We need to start a Goon IT School online series.