Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Jhet posted:

Finally, a social science degree coming in handy. I used to use network graphing software too. Now I just use MindNode to throw up quick charts. I've been doing this for many years for my NPCs. I guess I'm glad that it will be used more? It's a really great way of keeping track of how the characters interact with everyone around them.

That and I keep a master list of favors owed which comes in handy, but depends on the aim of the group at the time.

MindNode, huh? How would it do handling webs of several thousand nodes with many interconnections? I'm always looking for easier ways to keep track of conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

dr_ether posted:

And all of the above is more granular than V20 and precursors, given that Hungry is defined as vitae less than 7-Self Control. There is no definition of starving, and the rules really only refer to this with respect to hunger based frenzy, while Requiem has hungry and starving influence all frenzy rules. So you can see how V5 is an evolution again to make that hunger a constant mood within the game.

Since your current number of blood points acts as an upper limit to Self-Control rolls in V20, Frenzy is heavily affected by how satiated you are, even if it's not labelled explicitly as a state of being hungry.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Loomer posted:

MindNode, huh? How would it do handling webs of several thousand nodes with many interconnections? I'm always looking for easier ways to keep track of conspiracy theories.

It would be very messy I imagine or not useful for your purposes. It's very pretty and user friendly, but I don't think it's probably best suited for that much data. It's great for using as a visual reference for NPCs at the table. I'm pretty sure my wife would frown on me trying to install a white board or something else that would be that useful in my dining room. So small scale, it's been great for showing about 4 dozen characters and their connections. It's also been useful for me to map out outlines and story flow and it works with syncing to my phone so I can make notes whenever I think of them.

If I run across a network diagramming program that might suit your needs, I'll be sure to let you know.

E: http://socnetv.org/ I forgot about this one for a moment. I've always thought it would be fun to play with, but never had a data set at the right time of my life to make it useful.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So in 5E VtM, is it possible to be starved into torpor or effectively run out blood such that you can’t use your powers freely, or is entering effectively inescapable hunger frenzy the endpoint of underfeeding/power overuse?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Jhet posted:

It would be very messy I imagine or not useful for your purposes. It's very pretty and user friendly, but I don't think it's probably best suited for that much data. It's great for using as a visual reference for NPCs at the table. I'm pretty sure my wife would frown on me trying to install a white board or something else that would be that useful in my dining room. So small scale, it's been great for showing about 4 dozen characters and their connections. It's also been useful for me to map out outlines and story flow and it works with syncing to my phone so I can make notes whenever I think of them.

If I run across a network diagramming program that might suit your needs, I'll be sure to let you know.

E: http://socnetv.org/ I forgot about this one for a moment. I've always thought it would be fun to play with, but never had a data set at the right time of my life to make it useful.

At the moment I use gephi and maltego. They get the job done, mostly, though I do wish Gephi had better image integration.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Ferrinus posted:

So in 5E VtM, is it possible to be starved into torpor or effectively run out blood such that you can’t use your powers freely, or is entering effectively inescapable hunger frenzy the endpoint of underfeeding/power overuse?

If you fail an awakening rouse or agg healing rouse at hunger 5, you fall into torpor.

Edit: You also cannot intentionally rouse the blood at hunger 5 - the agg healing is reflexive.

Commissar Budgie fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2018

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Commissar Budgie posted:

If you fail an awakening rouse or agg healing rouse at hunger 5, you fall into torpor.

Edit: You also cannot intentionally rouse the blood at hunger 5 - the agg healing is reflexive.

Yep, so most active powers are inaccessible at hunger 5. Passives will still work.

Additionally, if something forces you to rouse at hunger 5, that calls for a hunger frenzy check at difficulty 4, which is pretty high.

At this point 5 dice in every pool are hunger dice that cannot be rerolled with willpower.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Dang, all these super cool relationship charts are making me want to make one for our long-running VtR game...or at the very least, my offshoot north Italy game I'm trying to get off the ground. If I ever stop being busy with work and class and life stuff. I'll definitely have to try out some of the recommended programs when I can though!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

morcant posted:

Dang, all these super cool relationship charts are making me want to make one for our long-running VtR game...or at the very least, my offshoot north Italy game I'm trying to get off the ground. If I ever stop being busy with work and class and life stuff. I'll definitely have to try out some of the recommended programs when I can though!

For the longest time I just used a spreadsheet on google docs. You don't need to do this, but collect all the info into one place, because it's a pain finding it later (speaking from experience).

The charts are super fun, and I'm considering making dossier sheets for antagonists for the players to write on with full B&W picture glory.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
A friend has given me the best intentioned worst executed gift I've ever had.

He was at Gen Con, saw the Masquerade 5 stall, didn't know anything about it but knows I love world of darkness...

So I now have a copy signed by Ken Hite and Swedracula.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's the thought that counts? Hite seems like an OK guy who is smart enough to keep his dumb personal views mostly personal at least.

It's a pretty big LOL that they expect this to survive long enough that they can release all the clan books like Warhammer codexes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

It's the thought that counts? Hite seems like an OK guy who is smart enough to keep his dumb personal views mostly personal at least.

It's a pretty big LOL that they expect this to survive long enough that they can release all the clan books like Warhammer codexes.

Hite has made a consistent habit of having extremely bad opinions and working with Zak S and similar folks.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

dr_ether posted:

Requiem 1e defined it as <5 vitae as Hungry, <2 as Starving.
Requiem 2e is <5 vitae is Hungry, <3 is Starving. This is no matter the BP if the vampire.

Hunger dice in V5 is even more granular than that then. But it is the same rules no matter the BP of the vampire. BP will alter how quickly you will increase in Hunger given that higher BP means you heal more per rouse check, and you can reroll the rouse check for increasing levels of Disciplines.

And all of the above is more granular than V20 and precursors, given that Hungry is defined as vitae less than 7-Self Control. There is no definition of starving, and the rules really only refer to this with respect to hunger based frenzy, while Requiem has hungry and starving influence all frenzy rules. So you can see how V5 is an evolution again to make that hunger a constant mood within the game.

My bad on the numerical mistakes. Can't really look a lot of this stuff up since my house burned down with everything in it.

Either way, it seems like they at least took a bit of inspiration off of Requiem's ideas for how to model it. I don't remember anything in pre-NWOD works about detailed hunger scale mechanics. Though it's been so long maybe i've forgotten it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Since this is the Onyx Path thread, they've got a Kickstarter for a new Storypath game. Dystopia Rising. A post-apoc zombie survival RPG?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s apparently been around awhile as a LARP

If they have to work with other peoples’ IP they could at least hop on a trend that didn’t peak 5 years ago

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

ZearothK posted:

Since this is the Onyx Path thread, they've got a Kickstarter for a new Storypath game. Dystopia Rising. A post-apoc zombie survival RPG?

It’s the same setting as, and working with conjunction with folks from, a nation wide boffer LARP. I’m interested in seeing what they do with it, but the setting is a bit excessively edgy at times for me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m referring to zombie apocalypses here, LARP peaked like 25 years ago

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm good friends with several DR players who are on their way out of DR citing a bunch of stuff along the lines of corruption and harassment so good job at picking 'em, Martin.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm good friends with several DR players who are on their way out of DR citing a bunch of stuff along the lines of corruption and harassment so good job at picking 'em, Martin.

Nah, this is all Onyx Path and has nothing to do with White Wolf. I'm guessing OP got approached about this because they've been doing a huge push for creator-owned publishing as like, their go-to thing now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Can't blame them for not wanting to be dependent on White Wolf licenses given how the nWOD was treated since the PDX acquisition.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Well then, that's another disappointment for OP.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

On the one hand, it’s a franchised game, so experiences on the local level do not necessarily reflect on the policies of the national level staff, who are the ones working with OPP on this product.

On the other hand, national is no sunshine and rainbows either. They have absolutely created systems built into the core of the game that do not discourage these authoritarian abuses of power. They have created a setting which has some serious race issues and that has a way of encouraging people to be their worst selves.

Also the DR national staff are working with White Wolf to make a C:tD LARP in Atlantic City which is absolutely going to be a mess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Meinberg posted:

It’s the same setting as, and working with conjunction with folks from, a nation wide boffer LARP. I’m interested in seeing what they do with it, but the setting is a bit excessively edgy at times for me.

How so? I don't know a thing about DR other than, well, post-apoc zombie RPG.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

How so? I don't know a thing about DR other than, well, post-apoc zombie RPG.

Characters have two main axes for splats. One is their professions, which are mostly fine for the setting, though it is a world where torture is a thing that works, which is fairly iffy for me, and a thing that doctors get access to, which is also iffy for me.

The axis is their Strain, representing the various mutations of post-apocalypse world. Most of these are okay too, but are largely rooted in stereotypes of contemporary American (Baywalkers from Massachusetts are super smart, Yorkers from NYC are tough and argumentative, Vegasians are slimy and untrustworthy). But there’s also a Strain called the Iron Slaves whose thing is that they’re big, dumb, and enslaved. Yes, all the artwork for them shows white people, but it’s still a super problematic thing. Then you have a Strain that consists of nomadic people who wear a ton of scarves called the Rovers. Then you have the Genjin who have tea ceremonies and wear conical hats and have a pan-Asian stereotype thing going for them, and who are almost exclusively played by white people.

There’s also Advanced Professions, which are like prestige classes, that are only available to folks who meet what the Director thinks is appropriate RP for the professions. Unsurprisingly, many of these Advanced Professions, especially the most useful ones, are in the hands of staff and friends of staff.

There’s a variety of kinds of zombies, and again, they’re mostly fine, serving as different kinds of combat threats. Then there are Toy Box zombies who create localized telepathically induced hallucinations that don’t end until they are solved in just the right way. These are mostly used as an exercise to force the PCs into terrible, awful things to get the Toy Box to go away. Most notably, at a big con game run by the guy who created the game (whose internet persona is Tyler Nerden to give an idea of his general oeuvre), a Toy Box forced players to force other people into furnaces in a concentration camp-coded setting.

Plus the whole game really emphasizes player vs. player conflict, doesn’t offer much in the way of emotional safety mechanics, relishes in cabin raiding at all hours of the night, and generally works to try to indoctrinate players into believing that its the best game ever. It can get real bad.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
"Like the region is now now, but a little ragged" is the laziest, most dead-end, adds-nothing-to-the-setting bullshit way of establishing a setting ever, and it should absolutely be consigned to the rubbish bins. It's not even interesting as a reflection of our own society anymore, because that's all it is, a two-dimensional reflection of regional stereotypes.

Fuckin, in a survival scenario people are way more likely to be defined by their roles in a survivor commune rather than where they were living ~~BEFORE THE BOMBS FELL~~. Like, oh definitely, I'm smarter than an NYU professor because I grew up in Dorchester's huge smoking crater. Tired Asian fetishism aside, all these character archetypes bring into the game is to remind people how thing used to be outside of the settings, while adding nothing to the game itself. It's just more dreary gray-brown depression masquerading as rugged survivorship.

edit- if you told me that summary was from one of the forgotten Palladium expansions, I'd believe you unquestioningly, because that's the caliber of creativity they're displaying.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Where are the Iron Slaves from, the Rust Belt? Because it may not be racist and just simply be super classist and insulting towards dispossessed industrial workers. I don't know how you let the Genjin happen without someone bitchslapping the taste out of your mouth, though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Just lol if you're enslaving labour during a collapse. Enslave doctors and engineers - labour is basically free when society collapses because all us lawyers (except those of us who can find cushy jobs rewriting community legal codes to work in the new context, at least) and the IT crowd and poo poo are totally useless except as a pair of hands. Throw them a few crusts and enslave the people with actual skills so you don't have to pay them.

EDIT:
On that note, I still find it a drat shame there are so few jurists in virtually every tabletop setting. I want to see the wraith of Lycurgus get into a slapfight with Vampire John Austin and poo poo.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 23, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It's just more dreary gray-brown depression masquerading as rugged survivorship.
This is honestly the best summation of the drawn-out extended zombie fad I have ever seen. Well played.

Loomer posted:

On that note, I still find it a drat shame there are so few jurists in virtually every tabletop setting. I want to see the wraith of Lycurgus get into a slapfight with Vampire John Austin and poo poo.
I suspect it's a mixture of popular culture in the Anglosphere, at least, tending to disapprove of the law and institutions, like... in a macro sense, and because ultimately the law is telling you what you can't do, and in most RPGs the player characters - whether due to actual super-powers, or due to being operated by clever exteriorized thetans who are willing to take idiotic risks - are very effectively able to defy the law, so what's the point?

I expect the pendulum will start swinging the other way.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

People have watched/read/played so much post-apocalyptic stuff that they'd probably start role-playing what they THINK people are supposed to do when the world ends instead of what makes sense.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Kavak posted:

People have watched/read/played so much post-apocalyptic stuff that they'd probably start role-playing what they THINK people are supposed to do when the world ends instead of what makes sense.

Yeah, when poo poo DOES hit the fan, it's going to be sociopathic prepper types who go full-on Reaver and just murderfuck the tattered shreds of humanity out of existence entirely. 100% of this whole fad/obsession/subculture is just Fantasy Murder Your Neighbors. I was getting a gas station sandwich in bumblefuck Vermont, and the kid at the cash register had an ASK ME MY ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN shirt on, so he did, and he looked me dead in the eye and explained in exactly which order he'd murder everyone he knows. "Cuz that's what gets you, emotional attachments to people who got bit."

He probably thinks they'll explode into loot, too. Zombie kids don't realize that they're the zombies in everyone elses' stories.

Nessus posted:

This is honestly the best summation of the drawn-out extended zombie fad I have ever seen. Well played.

(I tip my repurposed bike helmet covered in mad max spikes in appreciation)
It takes a lot of imaginative force to look at a world like we've got and wonder aloud "Yeah, but what if it was WORSE?"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Psychotic survivalists ruining the remains of civilization is a huge part of the plot of the Postman. It's a big part of why it's such a good novel.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

Psychotic survivalists ruining the remains of civilization is a huge part of the plot of the Postman. It's a big part of why it's such a good novel.

I may have to read it because I'm looking at the summary and realizing where New Vegas got half of its themes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kavak posted:

I always thought that the logical thing for a post-apocalyptic setting is have it be where your "home base" is somewhere that kind of looks like the old west with a lot of scavenging (on the theory that you can support that level of technology on scrap salvage and cottage industry) and you have to deal with all these bizarre raiders and weirdos out in the hinterlands.

Alternately if it's set like two hundred years later you can more or less do whatever you want. The old world would at that point be place names and whatever parts of infrastructure people were willing and able to keep up. Like I could see the interstate highway names being retained even if the roads themselves decayed to gravel.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I mentioned jurists before, but just once I'd like to see a setting where there's been major, deliberate law reform within the community. Not the usual 'STRENGTH IS LAW' stuff or weird cult ceremonies or the defacto 'trial by town council' route, but a carefully considered 'step-down' of law across a region stealing the best parts of pre-industrial, gold rush, and settler legal codes to adapt to the changed conditions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You may wish to check out 7th Sea 2e, where lawyers feature fairly heavily in Not Poland, Not Aztec Empire, the Not Abbasid Empire and to a lesser extent Not Mali.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Onyx Path blog is up.

'Continuing our clarity moment: we do not own WoD, Chronicles of Darkness, or Exalted – White Wolf does. We can’t OK your screenplay based on your Mage game, we can’t fire that guy who looks like Dracula at WW.'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine being at Onyx Path feels uncomfortably like the end of Being John Malkovich.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Still pondering getting into Requiem, but I want to do a Dark Ages campaign for my guys. Is there are Dark Ages sourcebook, or am I stuck converting the Masquerade line?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tias posted:

Still pondering getting into Requiem, but I want to do a Dark Ages campaign for my guys. Is there are Dark Ages sourcebook, or am I stuck converting the Masquerade line?

Dark Eras may have some use for you, but even moreso you will get use out of Ancient Bloodlines/Ancient Mysteries, the best pair of books for the nWoD line short of the clanbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mors Rattus posted:

Dark Eras may have some use for you, but even moreso you will get use out of Ancient Bloodlines/Ancient Mysteries, the best pair of books for the nWoD line short of the clanbooks.

Thanks! I should mention that I'm mostly interested in rules (such as era-appropriate abilities and merits) rather than splat, as I'm running masquerade+homebrew setting.