Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, indie studios are a different thing entirely. Plus there are plenty of good indie games made by literally one person (like Stardew Valley), you don't get much more creative control than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

The problem with the claim that games=art is that it's a yes/no oversimplification. The fact that too many gamers seem compelled to view things as binary is part of a much larger discussion.

Games contain art; they contain amazing textures, impressive 3D models and compelling music, but the whole package is not art, it's more clearly viewed as a collection of art that attempts to tell some kind of story.

So no, games are not art, but they contain art.

stories aren't art?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Video games are fart.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The problem with the claim that games=art is that it's a yes/no oversimplification. The fact that too many gamers seem compelled to view things as binary is part of a much larger discussion.

Games contain art; they contain amazing textures, impressive 3D models and compelling music, but the whole package is not art, it's more clearly viewed as a collection of art that attempts to tell some kind of story.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and is made of a culmination of individual things that are certainly a duck, obviously...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm way late to the Dark Souls discussion, but I'm still going to do an effort post.

Basically, Demons/Dark Souls is one the most important games in modern times. Prior and during these titles released gaming was getting dumbed down on all fronts. The Wii was getting more popular and strongly pushing the casual gaming angle in terms of focusing on games that "your grandmother could play". Smartphones also began getting a foothold, pushing titles like Angry Birds and what not. But the biggest threat came from traditional consoles. The Xbox 360 and PS3 brought many game franchises (mostly from PC) to the masses which resulted in many of them being dumbed down. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Rainbow Six, etc. were all made to appeal to the mass market as their mechanics were butchered to be more accessible.

What's worse is that this was a period when gaming had a bit of an identity crisis. Such as whether or not games were "art" or how gaming was pushing storytelling and general groundedness to be taken as seriously as The Godfather. The days of games focusing on skill, challenge, and intricate design seemed to be a thing of the past. Even things such as boss battles and save points were said to be unneeded if not antiquated. Even the concept of dying, yes that's right dying in a game, was beginning to be questioned.

Now this isn't to say that there weren't any games of this time period that were skilled/challenged focus on the HD consoles and the Wii had titles that fit this description. Not to mention the PC occasionally got large budget games with "deep" gameplay. However these weren't the norm.

Demon's Souls, really shook things up. Not only did the game challenge everything in this department, it managed to succeed. It had a good opening of 150,000 units in North America and would garner half a million sales in a year. It was so subject to immense critical and consumer acclaim. While it wasn't a mega hit, the title did demonstrate that there indeed was a purpose for skilled and challenged focused titles, as well as a market for them.

But while Demon's Souls was the title that made people turn their heads, it was Dark Souls that made them shift. Dark Souls did just boast the critical and player acclaim, it also sold copies, A LOT of copies. The game became a multi-million seller on every platform it was on. Unlike Demon's Souls it didn't just show that skill and challenged based games had a market, it showed that they had a big market, huge market, one that could even support large budgets.

Now this isn't to say that games still don't have a problem of lacking challenge or skill. However, one can feel the ripples that the series has had on the market and industry.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and is made of a culmination of individual things that are certainly a duck, obviously...

It's a small pond in a park with a flock of ducks on it?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
dark souls isn't important or even impressive. its just better than halo clones/yearly sports games. the critical acclaim meant that games had a thing to be compared to, so people would say "the dark souls of ....". darks souls is like far cry (or gta or halo or OoT) in that it set a bar that every game could be compared to.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Now this isn't to say that games still don't have a problem of lacking challenge or skill. However, one can feel the ripples that the series has had on the market and industry.
hboomberguy has horrible game opinions and probably belongs in this thread (he defended dark souls 2)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm way late to the Dark Souls discussion, but I'm still going to do an effort post.

Basically, Demons/Dark Souls is one the most important games in modern times. Prior and during these titles released gaming was getting dumbed down on all fronts. The Wii was getting more popular and strongly pushing the casual gaming angle in terms of focusing on games that "your grandmother could play". Smartphones also began getting a foothold, pushing titles like Angry Birds and what not. But the biggest threat came from traditional consoles. The Xbox 360 and PS3 brought many game franchises (mostly from PC) to the masses which resulted in many of them being dumbed down. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Rainbow Six, etc. were all made to appeal to the mass market as their mechanics were butchered to be more accessible.

lol classifying a recent trend as a "threat" to something you like is the dumbest poo poo, genres don't actually kill each other dude and even if someone makes a game where you can't die there will obviously still be people who want games where you can, and developers will want to continue making those games because challenge is and always has been a core pillar around which you can build a game

Demon's Souls was released in the same year as Left For Dead 2, League of Legends, and Bayonetta, all of which were well-known for having a high skill ceiling and offering a challenge to players looking for that sort of thing (while still permitting lower-skill players to have a fun experience). Were there also games that went the other route? Yes, of course there were, and there always will be. The industry has never been forced to choose between only making challenging or unchallenging games, that's a false dichotomy. The questions you're describing, such as whether or not death it's necessary to allow the player to die, were meant to asking about game design options, not requirements.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls didn't just sell well because they were challenging, there were plenty of other games offering a challenge. They sold well because they were also just really good. The gameplay was tight, the storytelling was subtle, the world design was beautifully intricate, and the PvP mechanics were excitingly charting new waters.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

!Klams posted:

All the early Zelda games wereare loving trash.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

almost every old classic game had terrible gameplay and controls and is undeniably a bad game outside the specific moment of its inception

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

How old we talking here?

Pong?

Pacman?

Duck Hunt?

Super Metroid?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

QuarkJets posted:

lol classifying a recent trend as a "threat" to something you like is the dumbest poo poo, genres don't actually kill each other dude and even if someone makes a game where you can't die there will obviously still be people who want games where you can, and developers will want to continue making those games because challenge is and always has been a core pillar around which you can build a game

Demon's Souls was released in the same year as Left For Dead 2, League of Legends, and Bayonetta, all of which were well-known for having a high skill ceiling and offering a challenge to players looking for that sort of thing (while still permitting lower-skill players to have a fun experience). Were there also games that went the other route? Yes, of course there were, and there always will be. The industry has never been forced to choose between only making challenging or unchallenging games, that's a false dichotomy. The questions you're describing, such as whether or not death it's necessary to allow the player to die, were meant to asking about game design options, not requirements.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls didn't just sell well because they were challenging, there were plenty of other games offering a challenge. They sold well because they were also just really good. The gameplay was tight, the storytelling was subtle, the world design was beautifully intricate, and the PvP mechanics were excitingly charting new waters.

I was mostly referring to single player games, specifically those with a substantial budget. Those games were becoming rarer and rarer during the late 2000s. Sure there were titles like Bayonetta and Fallout: New Vegas, but they weren't exactly common, hence why they were applauded at their time for their depth. While genres and playstyles rarely die, they absolutely due wax and wane overtime. Just look at arcade styled games for example. Outside of $2 budget shoot-em-ups, and random wanna be Streets of Rage indie Steam games, they are very rare. And have continued to do so since Sega's demise. Only fighting games have survived.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Vermintide is seriously just a huge first person update to the formula used by Gauntlet Legends

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Nope, stories aren't art, but story Telling IS art.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

stories aren't art?

Stories by themselves aren't art. The art is in HOW they are told. Hence the art of storytelling.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Stories by themselves aren't art. The art is in HOW they are told. Hence the art of storytelling.

Yeah that was a pretty good album, its amazing how prison really forms the soul of an artist

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Games are art like telephones are conversations

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah. That would be the role of the hardware the game is running on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was mostly referring to single player games, specifically those with a substantial budget. Those games were becoming rarer and rarer during the late 2000s. Sure there were titles like Bayonetta and Fallout: New Vegas, but they weren't exactly common, hence why they were applauded at their time for their depth. While genres and playstyles rarely die, they absolutely due wax and wane overtime. Just look at arcade styled games for example. Outside of $2 budget shoot-em-ups, and random wanna be Streets of Rage indie Steam games, they are very rare. And have continued to do so since Sega's demise. Only fighting games have survived.

genres wax and wane in a natural popularity cycle like basically everything else that humans consume, not because some new gameplay concept threatens to destroy them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

. Just look at arcade styled games for example. Outside of $2 budget shoot-em-ups, and random wanna be Streets of Rage indie Steam games, they are very rare. And have continued to do so since Sega's demise. Only fighting games have survived.

That's because those games always were bad, and people were glad to ditch them once better ones appeared.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

poverty goat posted:

almost every old classic game had terrible gameplay and controls and is undeniably a bad game outside the specific moment of its inception

Agreed. Games generally age like milk.

There are some exceptions but the constantly evolving nature of the games industry and videogame hardware means that most older games are objectively worse than current releases.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'd seriously rather spend an equal amount of time in like Burger Time than in The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age or whatever generic rear end modern game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bayonetta and FO: NV aren't interesting in the same way Demon's Souls was (both great games though). Both of those games as well as drat near everything else at the time accommodated any player that was interested in playing via lots of difficulty options etc. Demon's Souls wasn't interesting because it was hard, it was interesting because it was uncompromising in it's vision. It showed that you could not only make something interesting, but be successful financially without trying to appeal to everyone. They could have changed the game to be a lot easier and less obtuse to broaden the appeal, but ultimately it would have likely been forgotten and wouldn't have gone on to become one of the most iconic series in modern games.

It showed that sometimes it was better to stick with your weird ideas than try to make some homogenized experience to try and sell the most copies possible. There were a lot of things about it that were flat out harrowing at the time, but the end result was that it was memorable. Was getting invaded fun? Maybe maybe not, but it stuck with you. There are games I played last year that I can't remember anything about but I could probably recount 80% of DeS and I haven't played it in like 7 years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

I'd seriously rather spend an equal amount of time in like Burger Time than in The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age or whatever generic rear end modern game.

Sorry about your condition

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's kinda humorous to me that you feel like Demon's Souls was certainly more accurate to the vision of its director than Bayonetta or FO: NV was, and that Miyazaki would not have wanted to make the game different than the final product regardless of appeal. It's also kinda humorous that you think Bayonetta was so compromised as to make that comparison. Hideki Kamiya has stated many times that he believes in people, and that he makes games such that anyone can eventually do amazing things in them. He wants people to feel good about themselves, and having gradually increasing difficulty levels building up to very difficult poo poo seems like a great way to accomplish that. I don't see any reason to believe that Bayonetta was a more significant departure from Kamiya's "vision" than Demon's Souls was for Miyazaki, or that Kamiya compromised heavily on Bayonetta, and I don't see how you could show that one way or the other, really.

You seem to want to believe that it was the fact that it was so unique and "uncompromising" that made it popular, but those attributes are all over games that get little to no attention. It also isn't unique for being a game that is financially successful without broad appeal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

basic hitler posted:

no, except in indie studios, there's no analog for the power of a well known hollywood director.

it doesn't matter who you are, if you publish under EA, activision, or ubisoft you are under the thumb of people who can and will override your vision or whatever to shove in exploitative dlc, gambling, lovely anti-piracy measures like pointless always-online components, and other monetization actions that perilously affects the quality of the final product. Nobody got to tell kubrick to make his movies more accessible or dumb them down or whatever once he became famous. kubrick isn't exactly indecipherable or anything, but that kind of uncompromizing vision is unheard of in the AAA video game world.

indie studios, yeah though.

Harrow posted:

:hai:

I never said that they don't exist, just that creatives have less bargaining power in the games industry than they do in film. Someone like Yoko Taro is able to make his weird auteur game specifically because someone else was willing to pull for him, not through any pull he has on his own, for example. And there absolutely are people with that pull on their own--I mean, From Software made Hidetaka Miyazaki their president, after all, and his work on actual games is what got Satoru Iwata in charge of Nintendo--but it's still less common. Not totally unheard-of, but not enough to be the norm.

Your examples did make me realize that it seems to be more common in Japanese games, though. I remember there was a big thing when Konami fired Hideo Kojima where people were all "Japanese gaming companies hate it when there's one big name people attribute things to" and I just had to be like "Nintendo is right there." Not to mention Koji Igarashi of Castlevania (and now Bloodstained) fame, or Hironobu Sakaguchi (also known as the guy who directed most of the good Final Fantasy games and then Lost Odyssey which is also really good), or Yasumi Matsuno (dude basically handcrafted Ivalice), just to name a few more. Though to be fair, all three of those guys are now either working in mobile games or relying on crowdfunding so maybe they're not the best examples today, but whatever, I still know their work and as we've established I'm not very smart.

It's less common in the west, though I guess I'm ready to be proven conclusively wrong about that, too. Again, not impossible or never ever happens, but not common, either (unless you go out and do your own thing with your own funding like Tim Schafer).

The world of games has become a lot bigger than AAA titles in sheer number of real games you can buy on a legitimate digital storefront. It's no longer realistic to talk about games as if everything is coming out of the EA turd factory. I frankly don't see a lot of difference between the movie industry and the games industry at this point on an artistic basis. "Except for indy studios" leaves out like 99% of games.

And again this thing where it's only art if it has no commercial considerations is a fallacy. All of those top directors (and lol at the idea that "top directors" don't have to worry about marketability) had to break through by making commercial pieces. This betrays a misunderstanding of how movies work.

There's not really a director out there making an "uncompromised" vision or whatever it is you guys are visualizing. If there is you probably haven't seen their poo poo. Even low budget flicks with no apparent audience have to cobble together funding and distribution.

Like a good example would be George Clooney. George just mostly makes whatever film he wants to make and likes to work with Soderbergh on pictures that never make a nickel, right? Well, not exactly, because George goes overseas and films Japanese commercials and whatever. The production needs to have the financing and distribution network and advertising scheme together--Clooney isn't making small personal pictures, he's working with top talent and making movies that appeal to markets. The money has to come from somewhere.

By the standard of some people in this thread, in all of film, pretty much only George Lucas, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, and Tommy Wiseau are actually artists, because they just have money coming out their ears. But of those I would bet only Tommy is the one who doesn't think about marketability and audiences or any business-side stuff, because he's an independently-wealthy crazy person who wanted to do one movie.

This is all belaboring the point that what qualifies as art is not determined by how many business considerations went into its creation.

The guys who made SpecOps: The Line (a game I personally hate--not germane to whether it's art or not!) talked a lot about how they were told to put in a dumb multiplayer component to sell more units. This didn't really matter to the overall question of whether they were making art. Art on commission is still art.

When big movie stars do a movie, they have to do a press junket and maybe you'll even have to sit through a taped message at the theater of them telling you to play the tie-in game or buy a bag of popcorn. No one rationally thinks that has any bearing on the movie itself.

This is basically just describing a movie exactly. And no one really worries about whether movies are art, even though virtually all movies are crassly commercial.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 23, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

signalnoise posted:

It's kinda humorous to me that you feel like Demon's Souls was certainly more accurate to the vision of its director than Bayonetta or FO: NV was, and that Miyazaki would not have wanted to make the game different than the final product regardless of appeal. It's also kinda humorous that you think Bayonetta was so compromised as to make that comparison. Hideki Kamiya has stated many times that he believes in people, and that he makes games such that anyone can eventually do amazing things in them. He wants people to feel good about themselves, and having gradually increasing difficulty levels building up to very difficult poo poo seems like a great way to accomplish that. I don't see any reason to believe that Bayonetta was a more significant departure from Kamiya's "vision" than Demon's Souls was for Miyazaki, or that Kamiya compromised heavily on Bayonetta, and I don't see how you could show that one way or the other, really.

You seem to want to believe that it was the fact that it was so unique and "uncompromising" that made it popular, but those attributes are all over games that get little to no attention. It also isn't unique for being a game that is financially successful without broad appeal.

What? I think your missing the point here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe most movies aren't art, they are artistry applied to porous of business. Kitsch and glamour for its own sake.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

What? I think your missing the point here.

Maybe you should stop taking design notes for your explanations from the Souls games

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Silent Hill 1 is the best game in the series and Silent Hill 2 is one of the most overrated games of all time

I'll go so far as to say most people who put SH2 on a pedestal were 12 when they played it who also hadn't played the first game

Malah
May 18, 2015

Diablo 3 loving sucks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Malah posted:

Diablo 3 loving sucks.

sir this is the unpopular video games opinions thread. this opinion is not appropriate for this thread, please take it elsewhere.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Silent Hill 1 is the best game in the series and Silent Hill 2 is one of the most overrated games of all time

I'll go so far as to say most people who put SH2 on a pedestal were 12 when they played it who also hadn't played the first game

silent hill downpour was pretty good and i enjoyed it. It also has 3dtv support which looked pretty cool

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Quote-Unquote posted:

silent hill downpour was pretty good and i enjoyed it. It also has 3dtv support which looked pretty cool

Downpour was pretty good but it ran like rear end on X360.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Surely story telling would be a craft

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Everything is art, hope this doesn't blow ur mind

*shits turd into hand*

See this turd? IF I call it art, then it is art. Literally

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

I only didn't say all Zelda games are trash because I haven't played the recent ones, as the old ones were trash.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

a bitchin jetski posted:

Downpour was pretty good but it ran like rear end on X360.

I don't remember it being any worse than any other silent hill game (on console at least, never played one on PC)

edit: oh yeah, if anyone plays Downpour make sure you look at a guide to do the 'Calling All Cars' quest as soon as you hit the town because the police are loving annoying. Seriously: gently caress the police.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

!Klams posted:

I only didn't say all Zelda games are trash because I haven't played the recent ones, as the old ones were trash.

the new ones are trash too don't worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Downpour was a nice upturn but the enemy design was super loving boring and I still can't get over the fact that it had sidequests.