Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
They are actually decent looking, unlike the Df.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Roadmap looks strong.

And in the meantime, you can use every F-mount there is.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
No fast native until 2019? That's a bold move cotton, let's see if the adapter is poo poo or not.

EDIT: On further thought, I don't care if there is an adapter for F mount it's a huge mistake to not have native mount glass available right away. It would take at least 24-85mm f/2ish primes and a 70-200 to go with that 24-70 for me to think Nikon is taking this at all seriously.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 23, 2018

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

How would the balance of a 100-400 be on a Fuji XT20? I have the 18-55, 50-230 and the rokinon 12 now, but am likely going on safari in South Africa early next year so was thinking about renting it for the trip to get some extra reach, particularly as there should be lots of birds around in Feb. Might be a bit front heavy though?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

8th-snype posted:

No fast native until 2019? That's a bold move cotton, let's see if the adapter is poo poo or not.

EDIT: On further thought, I don't care if there is an adapter for F mount it's a huge mistake to not have native mount glass available right away. It would take at least 24-85mm f/2ish primes and a 70-200 to go with that 24-70 for me to think Nikon is taking this at all seriously.

But they have f/1.8 35 mm and 50 mm native lenses at launch and the rest next year? Initial testing also says that adapted F-mount lenses work as well or better on the Z7 as they do on DSLRs. Adapter is also included so lenses do not seem like a major issue?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

DoLittle posted:

But they have f/1.8 35 mm and 50 mm native lenses at launch and the rest next year? Initial testing also says that adapted F-mount lenses work as well or better on the Z7 as they do on DSLRs. Adapter is also included so lenses do not seem like a major issue?

Next year is a long time to wait imo. It's a major issue because Nikon is treating this system as an accessory to the F mount system not a successor or even a peer. Using an adapter is awesome for the working pro that needs specialty lenses and doesn't want to rebuy but you aren't gonna draw in Sony/Fuji shooters by releasing an incomplete system,. If I wanted to ditch Fuji for Nikon I wouldn't be able to until 2020 because a fast 24mm is my 2nd most used lens.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

8th-snype posted:

Next year is a long time to wait imo. It's a major issue because Nikon is treating this system as an accessory to the F mount system not a successor or even a peer. Using an adapter is awesome for the working pro that needs specialty lenses and doesn't want to rebuy but you aren't gonna draw in Sony/Fuji shooters by releasing an incomplete system,. If I wanted to ditch Fuji for Nikon I wouldn't be able to until 2020 because a fast 24mm is my 2nd most used lens.

#cropfactor

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MeKeV posted:

#cropfactor

Um what?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I wish Nikon make at least one compact and optically mediocre pancake lens to convince the compact shooters, like the Fuji 18mm at launch.

Right now the 2 primes just look like their F mount versions with an adopter glued on. If the Z system package has minimal advantage over the F combo, there is little incentive to buy in early until price settle down.

Unless you have a few Leica lens already, then you want the Z7 IBIS. Does IBIS produce darker corners on manual lens with the Sony bodies?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I don’t think they are that interested in pulling Fuji/Sony users. The main target are Nikon DSLR users that may already have substantial amount on F-mount lenses a might otherwise consider Sony/Fuji.

I am certainly interested in replasing my old NEX5 that is mostly used for video and D7000 with a Z6. My 70-200 f/2.8 and 85 f/1.8 as well as flashes, wireless triggers etc. should work well on a Z6. DX wide-angles not so much, although I assume thre is a crop mode. APS-C Sony E doesn’t encourage to invest much in either and I’ve only got two cheap lenses for that.

My main concern with Z6 is the need to reset the focus point for 3D AF-C tracking when switching targets. Hopefully there will be a bit more info how it us in practice or a firmware update. Good AF on moving targets(motorsport, running dogs etc.) is a requirement.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If their whole plan is to sell cameras to nikon DSLR owners then Canon has already won the race for second place.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think the Nikon DSLR owners are enough of a customer base for 2018. By the end on 2019 the native lens lineup should be quite adequate for most users:

20 mm f/1.8
35 mm f/1.8
50 mm f/1.8
85 mm f/1.8
14-30 mm f/4
24-70 mm f/4
24-70 mm f/2.8
70-200 mm f/2.8
58 mm f/0.95

+ adapted F-mounts which should take care of all the more marginal lenses like superteles and offer cheaper used alternatives for the native lenses.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The sales of the Z6/Z7 are what's going to help bankroll the development and production of the Z series lenses throughout the next couple years.

It's unreasonable to expect Nikon to release a completely new platform and also have a wide range of new lenses ready to go immediately.

By the end of 2021, they'll have an extremely thorough portfolio. That's pretty good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It's unreasonable for them to release their second mirrorless platform half assedly. Especially since they played up how "professional" it was gonna be.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeast posted:

Roadmap looks strong.

And in the meantime, you can use every F-mount there is.

I'd be interested, out of pure curiosity, not dick measuring or anything, to see the 24-70 f4 and f2.8 next to the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8. I know the Nikons will be bigger, just curious by how much.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

How would the balance of a 100-400 be on a Fuji XT20? I have the 18-55, 50-230 and the rokinon 12 now, but am likely going on safari in South Africa early next year so was thinking about renting it for the trip to get some extra reach, particularly as there should be lots of birds around in Feb. Might be a bit front heavy though?

I think it would feel pretty awful, but if you're on safari, you'll be in a vehicle with lots of place to lean it on. barry.matthews@fujifilm.com is the guy to speak to for rentals here, the fuji team here is really awesome as a whole.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I DEMAND a 28mm/2.8/3.5 pancake lens from Sony FE, Nikon Z or Canon unnamed mirrorless system. There I said it.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My XPro-2 came in yesterday. Haven't really gotten to shoot with it other than dicking around in the house but first impressions are great. Love the build quality and size, the joystick for AF points is really great and the AF system in general is a big improvement over the XT-10.

It came with a leather half case that I have no desire for, so that'll go up for sale with the XT-10 and 18-55 once I can get photos together for them.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

tino posted:

I DEMAND a 28mm/2.8/3.5 pancake lens from Sony FE, Nikon Z or Canon unnamed mirrorless system. There I said it.

Close enough?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1413345-REG/rokinon_io24af_e_af_24mm_f_2_8_lens.html

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Oh, you're one of them?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

I had no idea this lens exist. Good job for Rokinon making an ambitious AF lens. But the dark corners are pretty obvious from the samples. Maybe they should make a narrower 35mm or 50mm lens next.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Rokinon/Samyang 35mm is a better performer than the 24 mm. The vignetting on the 24mm is too much to ignore.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the new Z series cameras look great and were pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, other than better video codec but I didn't really think that was going to happen anyway. Also doesn't seem to me like they're half-assing it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
A Z is just a rotated N. :xd:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

JHVH-1 posted:

A Z is just a rotated N. :xd:

It's also a highly stylized digit '2', given its the successor to the "1" series.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

8th-snype posted:

It's unreasonable for them to release their second mirrorless platform half assedly. Especially since they played up how "professional" it was gonna be.
It really seems their main priority was to ensure that the old Nikon lenses would work on the new mount and that all the Nikon shooters would be as happy as possible. In that light, if retaining old Nikon shooters rather than getting new users is the goal, then this decision makes sense. Hell, coming out with a 10 lens lineup from day one would probably just crush the value of the F mount lenses and piss off many of their customers. It would probably be a disaster if there was a bunch of amazing Z mount F1.4 primes announced and ready to ship with the Z6/Z7 lol.

Ouhei posted:

My XPro-2 came in yesterday. Haven't really gotten to shoot with it other than dicking around in the house but first impressions are great. Love the build quality and size, the joystick for AF points is really great and the AF system in general is a big improvement over the XT-10.

It came with a leather half case that I have no desire for, so that'll go up for sale with the XT-10 and 18-55 once I can get photos together for them.
I really want to love the X-Pro2 as I plan my upgrade to the 24 mp sensor, but I just know I would never use the OVF and so it seems like whats the point?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
With a 55mm diameter and a 16mm flange distance, you'll be able to mount pretty much any lens that exists once Co's start churning out adapters, if that's your thing.

I shoot with a D850 and D810 at the moment, and I'm probably going to drop the 810 for the Z7. Then as the Z series matures, transition over.

The oldest lens I still shoot with regularly is a 14-24 f2.8, that was released in 2007. 11 years

It's on the Z roadmap for 2020, and I'd almost bet money that it won't get an F mount refresh. Writing on the wall, etc.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

cheese posted:

I really want to love the X-Pro2 as I plan my upgrade to the 24 mp sensor, but I just know I would never use the OVF and so it seems like whats the point?

Do you just shoot using the display on the back? I’ve got an x100f and find that I almost never use the back screen. I’m just curious how other people shoot.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Trevor Hale posted:

Do you just shoot using the display on the back? I’ve got an x100f and find that I almost never use the back screen. I’m just curious how other people shoot.

I have an X-T2 and shoot with the back screen 90% of the time (the rest being EVF). I similarly prefer the X-Pro styling, but have no need for the OVF. An X-Pro with no OVF and with a tilty screen (or a X-E3 with more buttons and weather sealing) would be perfect for me.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

cheese posted:

For me, the rangefinder style is nice since I use my right eye in the view finder so I have my left eye "free" (though I'm mostly blind in my left eye, but it's still a better experience than center mounted view finders for me), I'll probably use the EVF more than the OVF, but it's cool to have and I just love how the camera handles so I'm happy with it.

Also, I don't know what does it, but the shutter sound on the X-Pro2 is so much more satisfying sounding than the one on the XT-10.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I keep the viewfinder in my X100F on live view mode pretty much exclusively, I'd like it if you could leave it in place to reduce wear & tear instead of it clicking into place every time. I tried optical mode but didn't like it since I shoot mostly B&W and I'm not good enough to visualize what it will look like at a given exposure.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Lady Gaza posted:

Get the lens. Firstly, the regret of not getting the photos you want will last far longer than any other memories about egonomics. Secondly, the weight of the 100-400 is so much more than either the XT20 or 50-230, that it changes from "a lens attached to a camera" to "a camera attached to lens". The centre of gravity will be dominated by the lens; rather than supporting the body and holding the lens for stability, you support the lens and hold the body for stability. Really it's no different to attaching any body to a 'pro telephoto' like a 400mm f/2.8 or a 500mm f/5.6.

The only argument against the 100-400 is if the total mass takes the camera+lens combo over that threshold where you can't be bothered to take it/use it, or if you have seriously aeroplane weight limits issues and 'peace of mind' of not travelling overweight trumps photography.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Get the lens. Firstly, the regret of not getting the photos you want will last far longer than any other memories about egonomics. Secondly, the weight of the 100-400 is so much more than either the XT20 or 50-230, that it changes from "a lens attached to a camera" to "a camera attached to lens". The centre of gravity will be dominated by the lens; rather than supporting the body and holding the lens for stability, you support the lens and hold the body for stability. Really it's no different to attaching any body to a 'pro telephoto' like a 400mm f/2.8 or a 500mm f/5.6.

The only argument against the 100-400 is if the total mass takes the camera+lens combo over that threshold where you can't be bothered to take it/use it, or if you have seriously aeroplane weight limits issues and 'peace of mind' of not travelling overweight trumps photography.

Yeah I will probably go for it as it’s like £120 for a couple of weeks. On the trip I’ll either be driven around on safari or driving myself along the south coast so it’ll be mainly kept in a car so carry weight shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve never even seen a 100-400 in real life so have no idea about the size or feel of it but I’ll just get used to it I suppose.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Trevor Hale posted:

Well I use the EVF sometimes if its very sunny, but the optical feature of the X-Pro 2 probably wouldn't get any use by me. I do tend to use the back screen a lot - it just feels more natural.

Lady Gaza posted:

Yeah I will probably go for it as it’s like £120 for a couple of weeks. On the trip I’ll either be driven around on safari or driving myself along the south coast so it’ll be mainly kept in a car so carry weight shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve never even seen a 100-400 in real life so have no idea about the size or feel of it but I’ll just get used to it I suppose.
I wish lens rentals were just a bit cheaper. I'd love to get a couple of different Fuji lenses or even bodies to test out but for the cost, it feels like its easier to just buy a used one on ebay and then sell it if you don't like it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

DoLittle posted:

The new Nikon mirrorless cameras seem pretty good based on what's been said so far, and the price of the Z6 is competitive with the D750 and A7iii, but there have been some rumblings on certain forums about the poor quality of the current lenses. If I was buying into the Z system right now, I'd pick up the 24-70/4 and 35/1.8; seems redundant to drop money on the 50/1.8 with the 58/1.2 next in line for release. But apparently early reports are saying that the the 24-70 is kind of low-end...probably no better optically than the Nikon/Canon 24-120s or 105s but with less range, and the 35/1.8 has "poor bokeh" which is actually kind of disappointing for a fast 35, especially after seeing how nice the out of focus highlights can be with a Fuji 23/1.4.

So essentially, if these complaints about the lenses end up being valid, I think that will ultimately be worse than the limited native lens selection. Even if a user with lots of F-mount lenses can fill in for missing FLs with the adapter, you still need fully native lenses to take advantage of everything the Z cameras have to offer. Hopefully the 2019 roadmap lenses will be better. The lack of a supertele on the roadmap is disappointing to me, but I guess that's one type of optic where using the adapter would matter much, as it'll be a smaller fraction of the overall size of the lens.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

The fact that the Nikon Z Mount 50mm 1.8 is kind of huge and $600 is weird to me, considering the prevalence of cheap 50 1.8s for traditional Canon and Nikon mounts.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah at that point just use the adapter

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
At least the MTF figures Nikon has published for the Z lenses are really good and they claim that they are better than anything they've released for DSLRs. According to Nikon the Z cameras have better image quality than Nikon DSLRs both in video and stills.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

DoLittle posted:

At least the MTF figures Nikon has published for the Z lenses are really good and they claim that they are better than anything they've released for DSLRs. According to Nikon the Z cameras have better image quality than Nikon DSLRs both in video and stills.
I don't understand their lenses. I watched every one of those drat hype videos and I thought the whole point of the massive Z mount was that it would enable crazy new lenses? Maybe those empty slots in the coming years will be 1.2 primes? I was under the impression that the 50mm 1.8 was a dirt cheap lens for other full frame systems but this Z mount one is 600 bucks!

In Fuji chat, how does the eye AF on newer Fuji bodies compare to Sony? I've been playing around with it on my X-E2s and its pretty hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

cheese posted:

I don't understand their lenses. I watched every one of those drat hype videos and I thought the whole point of the massive Z mount was that it would enable crazy new lenses? Maybe those empty slots in the coming years will be 1.2 primes? I was under the impression that the 50mm 1.8 was a dirt cheap lens for other full frame systems but this Z mount one is 600 bucks!

"Guys, aren't you excited about our 58 f/.95 Noct that costs six grand and is manual focus only? Oh, and it weighs like a brick?"

Honestly, they're better off filling out the essential lenses before getting to the exotics, and I'm sure one of those empty "TBA" slots in 2019/2020 might be something more interesting.