Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We went out yesterday and the cats were left alone for most of the day. Domino demanded pets for about an hour right after we got home and has spent the day sleeping in the pants I wore yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Coca has decided that it's cool to treat the litter box like a bed.

Any tips on how to let her know that this is disgusting?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

See thread title

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Is cat, cannot fix.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

One of our cats, a 7.5 year old neutered female that's always been a bit overweight has recently been eating less and has visibly started losing weight. We got her when she was 5 when her previous owner died, and she's been mostly fine, except a little upset at the new cat we got about 1.5 years ago. Recently she's been more shy tho and whines a lot if you pick her up.

I'm gonna call a vet now to have her checked out, and I'm mostly just typing this because I'm a bit worried.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Raimondo posted:

She thinks she is bird and is sitting in a nest.

Of cat poo poo.

Is confused cat.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

We went out yesterday and the cats were left alone for most of the day. Domino demanded pets for about an hour right after we got home and has spent the day sleeping in the pants I wore yesterday.

Condolences on the cat hair in your pants.

Raimondo posted:

Is Coca's behavior fine otherwise? Eating ok, not straining in litter box, isn't lethargic, etc? Cats that sleep in their litter box do so because of stress, health, etc. I wouldn't treat this as "is cat" like others.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, only times I've seen cats nest in the litter box is stress, and usually only when they're confined at that. Any environmental changes? Outside cats spraying the property? Enough boxes and cat furniture for both cats?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

seiferguy posted:

Condolences on the cat hair in your pants.

Everything we own is already coated in white. At least this time I got an adorable picture out of it

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Is Coca's behavior fine otherwise? Eating ok, not straining in litter box, isn't lethargic, etc? Cats that sleep in their litter box do so because of stress, health, etc. I wouldn't treat this as "is cat" like others.

She seems alright. All behavior seems the same. There has been a new cat that she spotted earlier in the week, but her behavior hasn't changed otherwise. Eating and using the restroom as normal.

I would say since Friday afternoon, she started this" let me lie here in the cat box while you're on the couch". At first I thought she was playing with the other cat, because she was kinda peering over. But she's just sorta hanging out there now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's been a year since we adopted these guys during the clear the shelters event last year.
It seems like it's been way longer.

They got a big tuna dinner to celebrate:3:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You have wisely selected your cats.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah I was overly quick to be flippant about litter tray cat, if she's fine otherwise then :shrug: but keep an eye on her for anything else, and keep in mind cats love to hide anything wrong with them.

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
So I live in the Southeast and we have a ton of roaches in our house. I've been looking into Borax as a pest control solution, but I'm getting conflicting results on whether it will be dangerous for our cat or not. Can anyone advise on that or suggest a cat-safe way to control these drat roaches :mad:.

I don't want any harm to come to my sweet fluffy angel.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Diatomaceous earth where they roam and traps where the cat can't fit.

E: FOOD GRADE d.e. not pool grade, that's important. Won't hurt your cat unless your cat has an exoskeleton

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

Diatomaceous earth where they roam and traps where the cat can't fit.

E: FOOD GRADE d.e. not pool grade, that's important. Won't hurt your cat unless your cat has an exoskeleton

My experience with DE is that it minimally affects the insects and makes a huge mess.

Roach/ant bait traps are what work for us.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I've only used it for crickets in my basement and it's been great, but messes don't matter as much in a basement, admittedly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PosteriorChain posted:

So I live in the Southeast and we have a ton of roaches in our house. I've been looking into Borax as a pest control solution, but I'm getting conflicting results on whether it will be dangerous for our cat or not. Can anyone advise on that or suggest a cat-safe way to control these drat roaches :mad:.

Have you discussed with that lion the importance of being a vicious hunter?

I've found it didn't work with my cats but maybe yours will dehumanize itself and face to bloodshed.

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015

Len posted:

Have you discussed with that lion the importance of being a vicious hunter?

I've found it didn't work with my cats but maybe yours will dehumanize itself and face to bloodshed.

She's a decent hunter but not sufficient and I'd rather just avoid coming home to a fresh roach carcass every day if I can help it. Sounds like regular old traps are the way to go here. I'll do some more research on those. Thanks everyone.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
And also a diet if you don't want harm to come to that sweet looking creature. Looking kinda kirby-esque.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

PosteriorChain posted:

Borax looks like a happy cat, I’d say let him get those roaches. Haven’t heard that they’d be bad for cats.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Why won't my kitten love me

I just want snuggles
But all I get is struggles

She doesn't like to be held or sit on my lap :qq:

I'd like to correct my previous statement.

Glitch does enjoy being held.
Just so long as you cradle her in your arms like a baby.

She does not like being held any other way.

I have a weird cat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In sheer awe at the size of this lad

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Infinitum posted:

I have a weird cat.

Cat is working correctly

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Infinitum posted:

It's a fabby tubby tabby

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cats launched with too many bugs. They need a firmware update.

Edit: home sick because I can't keep food down.

He thinks he's helping.

This was after the claws to the face to wake up

Len fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 23, 2018

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

sensy v2.0 posted:

One of our cats, a 7.5 year old neutered female that's always been a bit overweight has recently been eating less and has visibly started losing weight. We got her when she was 5 when her previous owner died, and she's been mostly fine, except a little upset at the new cat we got about 1.5 years ago. Recently she's been more shy tho and whines a lot if you pick her up.

I'm gonna call a vet now to have her checked out, and I'm mostly just typing this because I'm a bit worried.
Went to the vet the day after posting this, and they didn't find anything, except for a bit high liver value thing (as she hasn't gotten fatty liver yet at least) in the blood test. The suggested we give her some special food that helps her kidneys (http://www.specific-diets.co.uk/cat/special-care-diets/kidney-support-fkd-gb), so we're doing that.

She's still not eating very much tho. She hasn't lost any more weight that I can see on my lovely scale, but I'm still worried. Should I be patient and see if things get better during the weekend, or maybe try to get her to the vet again tomorrow?

edit: since may/june, I'd say she's lost about 700-800 grams or so, and is currently just below 4 kg which is honestly probably close to her ideal weight honestly

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 23, 2018

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
Update on my cat Charlie, who vet suspects dry FIP;
I found out CSU is doing a FIP study - they'll cover the diagnostic testing and euthanasia, if that's an option I want to pursue... Only thing is it's about an hour drive - any tips for keeping cats from stressing out in the car?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
My vet offers a little stress reducer package to administer before vet appointments that includes a dose of gabapentin iirc. Maybe talk to your vet about something similar?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Frown Town posted:

Update on my cat Charlie, who vet suspects dry FIP;
I found out CSU is doing a FIP study - they'll cover the diagnostic testing and euthanasia, if that's an option I want to pursue... Only thing is it's about an hour drive - any tips for keeping cats from stressing out in the car?

I've never had problems with cats stressing in the car except over exceptionally long trips (2+ hours) though my sample size is two cats. Bring their carrier as a place to retreat into if necessary and provide a water dish that won't spill much if you can.

One of my cats LOVES car rides and I can't have windows or the sunroof open at all because he tries to stick his head out. He takes naps on the dashboard or rear board over the trunk, depending where the sun is.

If they can huddle in the carrier they should be OK. Also, for a trip that long bring a litter box just in case - speaking from experience it's better than having cat urine soaked pants for an hour or two.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Good advice!

Puppy pads can also be helpful if a litter pan isn't practical for whatever reason. I always put in a towel or a night shirt into the carrier too.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Kitten update: she is determined to make kitten piles with the grumpy old man whether he wants to or not. She keeps climbing into the cat bed and curls up next to him until Luke has enough and leaves. Last night Luke laid down on my stomach when I was reading in bed. Kitty joined him, and for the next hour I was immobile - one barely fits, both were in constant danger of sliding off, so I had to put the book down and hold them in place. On the upside it did go on for an hour untill kitty's switch flipped from 'snuggle' to 'play with teeth'. May take a couple days for the scratches on my belly to go away!

Luke still acts like he wants nothing to do with her most of the time, but he's starting to come around. She tends to be less hyper than she was when I get home from work too, so I suspect playing is happening when I'm not around. I really wish I had a good webcam.

Luke does seem less hostile when I'm right there petting him (or acting as an ad-hoc bed). Is that fairly normal, where a cat gets more tolerant with another cat when someone he trusts is right there?

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I have a weird cat.

My owners expressly do not like being the baby. One will begrudgingly accept it because he's getting pettins (and is a bit of a doormat at times), and the other will up and decide it's time to DESTROY YOUR FACE if you try.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Infinitum posted:

a confirmed megachonk:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So the girlfriend and I adopted a cat on the weekend (about one year old). We've been keeping him in our bedroom and he's really warmed up over the last few days, playing and cuddling.

He's really showing interest in what's beyond the bedroom door, which is cool except he doesn't want to poop in the litter box, only on our bed. He pees just fine in the box, but won't poop in it. We've caught him in the act most times and moved him to the litter box, which he uses then.

I'm just not sure a) why he's okay with using it one way but not the other and b) do I want to have him out in the rest of the house finding all sorts of fun new places to poo before we sort this out?

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

So the girlfriend and I adopted a cat on the weekend (about one year old). We've been keeping him in our bedroom and he's really warmed up over the last few days, playing and cuddling.

He's really showing interest in what's beyond the bedroom door, which is cool except he doesn't want to poop in the litter box, only on our bed. He pees just fine in the box, but won't poop in it. We've caught him in the act most times and moved him to the litter box, which he uses then.

I'm just not sure a) why he's okay with using it one way but not the other and b) do I want to have him out in the rest of the house finding all sorts of fun new places to poo before we sort this out?

You may have acquired a cat who refuses to pee and poo in the same litter box. Purchasing a cheap second box to see if that is the case may help.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FlyTB20C posted:

You may have acquired a cat who refuses to pee and poo in the same litter box. Purchasing a cheap second box to see if that is the case may help.

Another possibility is to lock him in the litter box room until he poops in it. Doing it once may be enough to set the habit.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Thanks guys, I'll try the second litter and see how that goes.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

FlyTB20C posted:

This. Both of mine only pee in the box by the stairs, and only poop in the box in the corner. Don't try to understand it - it doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Update: The second litter box seems to be doing the trick! Thanks for your help guys