Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

azflyboy posted:

Has anyone seen more details about what happened there? Since you can see the pilot side door open during the video, I have to wonder if someone didn't accidentally raise the collective to start that whole mess, since it looks like simply dumping the collective throughout most of that sequence would have done nothing more serious than cause a hard landing.

My father flew Jetrangers before transitioning to the CH-46, and his take on the video was that the explanation they gave of high winds was bullshit. If you watch closely, he snags his skid on the roller pad, and instead of settling down, he adds power and yanks the collective, which just serves to cock him right into the ground.

If he'd not panicked, the guy observing could've nudged him loose and they could've made another attempt. He hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Poor old jetranger, thought of ants and died.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

david_a posted:

Love the write up as usual but I think you need another editing pass; there were some awkward sentences in places. Also the font size alternated a few times on iOS. Looking forward to the next part :stoked:

drat, I was afraid of that. Since around Christmas chaos in my life has been high and it's slowed down writing, and for the first time I used google docs to write instead of blogger; and I discovered that copying and pasting from there left a bunch of junk formatting. I'm gonna try to get rid of it, suggestions welcome

(PM me awkward sentences plz, namaste)

vessbot posted:

I went to read Achtung Zeppelin from the beginning and the pics are broken :(

Try th' blog, it is better there

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Finger Prince posted:

Poor old jetranger, thought of ants and died.

:golfclap:

Acceptable responses also include "SO WHEN'S MY SECOND LESSON???"

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I enjoy the dog thinking, "gently caress this, I'm out..." :dogbutton:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:yeshaha:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I enjoy the dog thinking, "gently caress this, I'm out..." :dogbutton:

The person in the back left, you can only see legs and he/she is getting something out of the trailer. You can see them go around the corner, see what's happening and then watch the legs book off around the building about 2 seconds before the catastrophic failure of the blades upon impacting the asphalt.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm a sucker for a good Traveling Wilburys reference

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Murgos posted:

The person in the back left, you can only see legs and he/she is getting something out of the trailer. You can see them go around the corner, see what's happening and then watch the legs book off around the building about 2 seconds before the catastrophic failure of the blades upon impacting the asphalt.

Found a longer YT video of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvwaFfuzqM

The video description blames a 'straight-line wind' for knocking it off the platform... uh.. sure..

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

The Locator posted:

Found a longer YT video of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvwaFfuzqM

The video description blames a 'straight-line wind' for knocking it off the platform... uh.. sure..

The bushes to the right of the heli do look like they're getting pushed over a moment before it lurches, so maybe wind-> dude grabs collective and pulls -> welp?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I did what I shoulda done in the first place: make a clean sweep of the post, then redo all the formatting. Hopefully the formatting problems are gone.

e: is the Ho 229 actually being restored?

e2: I think Project A may not be the dumbest idea the Nazis ever had - in its initial form

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 24, 2018

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: is the Ho 229 actually being restored?

It's probably going to take a long time as the plane is apparently in very poor/fragile condition, but yep:

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/horten-flying-wing-180960066/

That's from two years ago.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Another great write up Neb. Little spelling and syntax errors are hard to spot without a second, third and nth pair of eyes. I really look forward to your effort posts and always enjoy them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slothrop posted:

Another great write up Neb. Little spelling and syntax errors are hard to spot without a second, third and nth pair of eyes. I really look forward to your effort posts and always enjoy them.

Especially when you've been writing too long and cuttin' and pastin' poo poo

also, thanks

This one ran way too long because I wanted to cover 1) the sad leftovers of 1945, 2) Nazi wunder-waffen alts, and 3) some of what happened after. And this was way too complex and I got lead down a million interesting rabbit holes - it took that Baade post to get me to realize I should split them up.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

:bisonyes: I thought this day would never come!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airplane-noise-complaints-are-skyrocketing-i-start-pushing-that-button-at-6-33-a-m-1535121271

quote:

A lot of people are annoyed by the sound of airplanes flying over their homes. Then there is Beatrice Pardo.

She has lodged 12,694 official complaints with the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority in the past 16 months.

Registering a detailed aircraft noise complaint online in San Diego requires filling in 10 fields and looking up the offending flight through the airport authority’s mapping program. But Ms. Pardo, a 62-year-old industrial designer, has taken an easier route. She uses a new invention called the Airnoise Button that allows her to register a complaint simply by pressing it.

“I start pushing that button at 6:33 a.m. when the noise starts and I stop at about 11:30 p.m.,” she said.

quote:

As of this week, one man in Milton, Mass., has made his frustration known 14,008 times; another in La Jolla has clicked 13,877 times.

Even less trigger-happy users make a big impact: Seattle’s Sea-Tac airport was accustomed to roughly 2,000 annual noise complaints before the beginning of the year when Airnoise caught on in the area. Now it gets over 2,000 a week.

Why

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For a mere $100,000, I could similarly automate a noise complaint denial with magic computer science. Please forward this information to the relevant authorities.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Because many Americans, the morons they are, view land ownership as sovereignty over all they see and hear from their plot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Denver is the same way, one guy makes something like 98% of the noise complaints annually, and he doesn’t even live close to the airport.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Purple complain about things that bother them, especially so if they're provided a convenient interface. I don't see it as some bizarre enigma to be unwrapped.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
There's an SR-71 anecdote that they'd announce flight paths a few days in advance, and then not fly them, just to watch the noise complaints and reimbersment demands for broken windows roll in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This all is far from unusual. istr that the cover page of CYYZ's annual noise complaint report says outright "like most large airports, the vast majority of Pearson's complaints come from a small number of highly motivated individuals"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They are establishing alibis, clearly.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If I ever get "gently caress you" money I'd like to spend it having helicopters hover over NIMBYs houses 24/7 like the old iron dome project except with Blackhawks instead of b52s.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I live under the approaches for 24L/R at CLE and 6 for CGF at a point where the traffic is low enough where I can see the livery.

It’s awesome. The rich people out here have some really interesting stuff. I love seeing private tri-jets. And on my way home I frequently get to see my house!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carth Dookie posted:

If I ever get "gently caress you" money I'd like to spend it having helicopters hover over NIMBYs houses 24/7 like the old iron dome project except with Blackhawks instead of b52s.

This, but with B-36s instead of B-52s Blackhawks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Carth Dookie posted:

Save your money and get a Huey.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Save your money and get a Huey.

Real talk I think it was a Huey but I really have no idea what it was but about 10 years ago I was walking to class and the loudest helicopter I have ever heard in my life flew over. It was just these huge percussive THWAP THWAP THWAP sounds that echoed off the buildings around me.

It was surreal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

Real talk I think it was a Huey but I really have no idea what it was but about 10 years ago I was walking to class and the loudest helicopter I have ever heard in my life flew over. It was just these huge percussive THWAP THWAP THWAP sounds that echoed off the buildings around me.

It was surreal.

Two blade rotor system pulling lots of pitch does that.

Sounds like a Huey.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is the Huey the largest two blade chopper? Now that I think about it the only two blade copters I've heard are little Robinsons and the like.

Edit: Goddamn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgoyh3WMeQ Very easily could have been one of these too maybe.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 26, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Previa_fun posted:

the loudest helicopter I have ever heard in my life flew over. It was just these huge percussive THWAP THWAP THWAP sounds that echoed off the buildings around me.

It was surreal.

Definitely a Huey (or old Cobra, same spinny bits). That's nothing compared to the two times (going out and returning a few days later, presumably) a three-ship of CH-53Es flew directly over my house at like 200 feet. Things were falling off shelves.

Since then, I've called the Super Stallion "the dubstep machine."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

I live under the approaches for 24L/R at CLE and 6 for CGF at a point where the traffic is low enough where I can see the livery.

It’s awesome. The rich people out here have some really interesting stuff. I love seeing private tri-jets. And on my way home I frequently get to see my house!

'Sup, low flying plane over your house liking buddy!

I live pretty close to a large Coast Guard air station where they fly SAR C-130s. Practice landing runs are cool, every five minutes the plane comes back around. It's amazing how little you hear until the thing is right on top of you.

The last place I lived got traffic from Sun'n'Fun. What was amazing about that is just how loud anywhere around an F-18 is. The pressure change would make the ping pong ball in the roof vent bounce excitedly. That and checking the mail with four ship flights of seemingly all the Texans/Harvards zooming by. What a sound.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Definitely a Huey (or old Cobra, same spinny bits). That's nothing compared to the two times (going out and returning a few days later, presumably) a three-ship of CH-53Es flew directly over my house at like 200 feet. Things were falling off shelves.

Since then, I've called the Super Stallion "the dubstep machine."

I had something similar happen except it was a three-ship of Chinooks. I happened to be outside at the time and you could feel that poo poo in the ground. It owned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

madeintaipei posted:

The last place I lived got traffic from Sun'n'Fun. What was amazing about that is just how loud anywhere around an F-18 is. The pressure change would make the ping pong ball in the roof vent bounce excitedly. That and checking the mail with four ship flights of seemingly all the Texans/Harvards zooming by. What a sound.

God help you when the F-35s are in town.

I thought the noise complaints were exaggerated until I moved to a place where I get to hear them take off right before/after other fighters. Yeah. They're loving LOUD.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

madeintaipei posted:

I live pretty close to a large Coast Guard air station where they fly SAR C-130s. Practice landing runs are cool, every five minutes the plane comes back around. It's amazing how little you hear until the thing is right on top of you.

I live on the approach for Stratton where they have all the arctic C-130s and they practice 4 days a week. Every 5 minutes for about an hour we hear them land.

Edit: a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtAAJVw_Ko

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

beep-beep car is go posted:

I live on the approach for Stratton where they have all the arctic C-130s and they practice 4 days a week. Every 5 minutes for about an hour we hear them land.

I live in between Luke AFB and the bombing range down by Yuma. Luke has F-35's now. If I'm outside they are pretty loud (certainly louder than the F-16's) as they fly back and forth, sometimes directly overhead, but honestly I rarely notice them inside the house.

Now if I lived close to the departure end of the runways I'm sure it would be a lot more noticable!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
People still complain about the noise from Oceana...those pussies never lived there when the up-engined Tomcats were flying around. The irony is that most of them are bitching and complaining because ~their property values~, but if Oceana closes, their property values will take a giant dump.

Also, Fentress Field used to be out in the middle of nowhere down there, but now upper-middle-class douches have built their McCompounds out there, so now all the training flights have to come in from a specific corridor to use it, lest they incur the wrath of wealthy suburban refugees.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

'Sup, low flying plane over your house liking buddy!

My office is near the airport where a Coast Guard ATC is, so we get to see a lot of HC-144, MH-60 and MH-65 training. With the occasional C-130.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My hometown is across a strait from the naval air station on Whitdbey Island, and it wasn't anything when I was growing up but when the changeover happened to EF-18Gs a lot of residents on the toney east side of town started getting in a snit over the audible roar coming from the direction of the air station.

It's so far removed from a jet actually flying over your house though, just a bit of an occasional distant roar buuuuut these are some super rich folks we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Don’t worry. In 20 years when most of the boomers are dead, the housing market will take a giant dump and the suburbs will clear out and we’ll be free to let airports and racetracks be themselves again.