Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

windows 10.1 enterprise pro

legit surprised MS hasn't just renamed windows to windows 365 to ensure a foolish consistency across product lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chris Knight posted:

legit surprised MS hasn't just renamed windows to windows 365 to ensure a foolish consistency across product lines

:same:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

univbee posted:

now that's interesting, i grabbed a random picture to post from elsewhere online, but i'm pretty sure mine was "corrected" to have an apostrophed "D'oh!"

I think its more likely you don't understand how to use computer

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

Do you have any idea how much development time they save by putting a single try/catch around the entire codebase

too lazy to even stringify the exception and display that

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol you have to disable ipv6 if you want VPNs to work in windows 10 because no matter what you do or what settings you change it will use the ipv6 dns and break all internal DNS

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

There's a thing in the registry and group policy you can set where you pin lookups for specific domains to DNS servers. If you throw only an IPv4 DNS address in that config you might be able to work around it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

lol you have to disable ipv6 if you want VPNs to work in windows 10 because no matter what you do or what settings you change it will use the ipv6 dns and break all internal DNS

that sounds like a vpn client not properly handling ipv6.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what if the vpn client is windows?

because windows will 100% prioritize ipv6 over ipv4 if it's active on an adapter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if ur vpn is providing an ipv6 address and dns then I would imagine it would use that. the problem here seems to be he has an ipv4 address+dns on his vpn adapter and a ipv6 dns on a separate adapter and its prioritizing the ipv6 dns.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, my post was poorly worded, but that is the behaviour i've seen

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

DNS with split-VPNs is inherently dubious, you need domain routing like dnsmasq (as found in pfSense) attempts to offer so you can force internal domains over the VPN. It's not really a well defined area.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 24, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
most of these vpn clients work by overriding the default gateway for the system so if the default gateway is ipv6 and they don't provide an alternate ipv6 gateway you're going to continue to send ipv6 traffic through that adapter, including dns.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

it’s pretty wild that this company has used 360, 365, 10, One and X as meaningless product numbers in the past decade.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

DNS with split-VPNs is inherently dubious, you need domain routing like pfSense attempts to offer so you can force internal domains over the VPN. It's not really a well defined area.

we don't allow split tunneling at all for security reasons but its just easier to deal w/ either way.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks like you may have to use Acrylic on Windows as an alternative to dnsmasq for such configurations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

if ur vpn is providing an ipv6 address and dns then I would imagine it would use that. the problem here seems to be he has an ipv4 address+dns on his vpn adapter and a ipv6 dns on a separate adapter and its prioritizing the ipv6 dns.

its a good thing running ipv4 vpn on a network that may or may not be ipv6 is an extremely rare case otherwise it would make microsoft really foolish for not considering that possilibity

[holds hand to earpiece] oh, im getting reports that this is probably the most common scenario

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not microsofts fault, its the fault of the vpn client

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its the vpn's fault that the operating system queries the ipv6 dns even if a completely separate adapter that's the default gateway and has a higher priority and is ipv6?

bold strategy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Why are you complaining about relevance when you literally posted the following

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

its the vpn's fault that the operating system queries the ipv6 dns even if a completely separate adapter that's the default gateway and has a higher priority and is ipv6?

bold strategy

all dns servers from all adapters are used, but normally with an ipv4 only setup the ipv4 vpn adapter becomes the route for ipv4 traffic including dns. in this ipv6 scenario windows is using ipv6 for dns and the only ipv6 route is through the ipv6 adapter. In order to capture ipv6 traffic the vpn client would need to handle ipv6 traffic.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

all dns servers from all adapters are used

lol

"we just use whatever loving dns is there all of them none of them whatever"

great job microsoft

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how else would it work? Do you think it should decide to ignore certain servers instead?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i think it should maybe use the dns server provided by the adapter with the lowest metric? y ou know, the one that is being used

and not, the other ones?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

"this adapter has a metric of 1 and its the default gateway and also all of the routes go through it. now to use a this other dns"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

like thats really obviously how it should work, and it actually does right up until theres something with ipv6 in the mix and all of a sudden windows completely ignores everything else because "GOTTA GO IPv6"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

i think it should maybe use the dns server provided by the adapter with the lowest metric? y ou know, the one that is being used

and not, the other ones?

thats what its doing. its using the dns servers for the ipv6 adapter with the lowest metric

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yo shaggar why is the wifi on xps machines so bad? if i’m not in the same room as my modem i get 1 meg down on a 100 meg connection.

defend. your. purchase.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
works on my pc

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i’d blame my wifi but the other computer in the same room pulls down 80.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its definitely not the best wifi but I max out my connection at 120 from anywhere in my home. it could be a compat thing between ur ap and xps.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wandows

its a p.o.s.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Perfect Operating System? I agree.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lambert posted:

Perfect Operating System? I agree.

:getout:

its poo poo mate

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wrote a script that generated a csv file today & i figured id be nice and put in the windows line endings and everything. mouse over & the tooltip says "comma-separated values", sweet so i double click & excel opens the file with all columns in the same column

what kind of idiocy is that, if its gonna assume delimters on a csv file, fuckin it should assume commas. works fine with tabs in .tsv files but i bet thats just because it assumes tabs always

12:15 its a piece of poo poo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

You’re Operating System Is Perfect

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

You’re Operating System Is Perfect

To Poop On

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,