Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Grimwall posted:

Nice, The Good Place got the Best Dramatic Presentation!

I thought the novels were kinda weak this year.

How is Monstress?

Seconding recommendation for Monstress--really good fusion of art and writing, and pictures so pretty you just want to stare at them until you remember there are words.

I'm also glad the Good Place was recognized, it's surprisingly fantastic in both the premise sense and the quality sense.

And as others have said, much love for Murderbot and would love to have a single omni at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bhodi posted:

At least it isn't Scalzi again? The series was fine, even if the middle book was weaker. I don't think it was 3 hugos fine but ehh, whatever.

I feel like we've been complaining about poor Hugos for a long time now. Is the field simply weaker than it used to be, or historically was there tons of poo poo too but we only remember the gems?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The difference in the amount of sci-fi garbage published now vs. historically is more a matter of scale, not proportion

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Cardiac posted:

Talk about giving out awards on inertia.
It was ok, and of the trilogy only the first one was great.
But then again Scalzi is apparently getting Hugos.

I thought all the nominees were ok, even the somewhat bland Scalzi one. I was apparently a much bigger fan of Six Wakes than the rest of the voters though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LeGuin and Bujold both clocked another Hugo this weekend. Bujold now has both of the Hugos awarded so far for best series, this time for the Five Gods series. Frankly, they can stop right there. If you've enjoyed the novels, I can't recommend the Penric novellas highly enough.

I just finished A Closed and Common Orbit. A very moving, very touching book. Chambers is growing as a novelist. I would have been happy if it just rolled along until Jane's story became Pepper's and one day she midwifes an AI into a bodykit. But of course Owl had to be rescued, and I like the epilogue with the bar and the networked tech pets.

It's not a direct sequel and I'm fine with that, I'm very happy with the story I got. Both books are slice of life novels with interesting characters in exotic situations, with a climax and an epilogue. She's going to start winning awards soon, the nomination for ACaCO was richly deserved, and might have won in 2016 or 2015.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Fallom posted:

The difference in the amount of sci-fi garbage published now vs. historically is more a matter of scale, not proportion
And putting it to a vote by a large group of relatively insular and conservative fans is a very poor way of finding good works (let alone the best) in a large field.

This is a group of voters that awarded best comic to Girl Genius for three years in a row.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Awards are always going to be flawed. I just use them as a non-exhaustive jumping off point for stuff I might want to check out from a given year.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The British equivalent of the Hugos, the BSFA Awards, make for a interesting contrast. Not that its nominees are uniformly great or anything (though still better) but the works nominated are often things that would never touch a Hugo shortlist, despite still being chosen by a pool of fans.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Read Andy Weir's The Martian + Artemis.
The Martian was good to ok, was pretty much MacGyver (1980s mullet version) on MARS. The sheer amount of clever remarks by stranded MacGyver was overwhelming towards the end though.

Artemis felt like Weir dreamed up set-piece scenes (the glassworks fire, the apollo 11 visitor center, the ore collector EVA sabotage, lunartrain EVA escape) but was unable to string things together without hyper-competent friends that ask no questions/tell no lies + multiple chekhov's guns equipment.

Stumbled across new 2 me english translations of Hard to be a God, Monday Begins on Saturday, and The Doomed City. Had pocket paperback copies of the 1st two books, and a questionable quality english translation of the 3rd book. Talking about Arkady + Boris Strugatsky books, just to be clear.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Stumbled across new 2 me english translations of Hard to be a God, Monday Begins on Saturday, and The Doomed City. Had pocket paperback copies of the 1st two books, and a questionable quality english translation of the 3rd book. Talking about Arkady + Boris Strugatsky books, just to be clear.

Yeah, there are new ones. Did you enjoy them?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I thought this meant people were translating current works into middle english and got momentarily excited

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Megazver posted:

Yeah, there are new ones. Did you enjoy them?

Haven't touched them yet, started Martha Wells 1st Raksura book and am enjoying it so far. Really liked those 3 Strugatsky books previously so I'm pretty sure a newer translation won't alter that scenario.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Stanislaw Lem's FIASCO is $1.20 on the amazon kindle store for a unknown amount of time left, get it. Seriously.
FIasco is the Lem story about 1st contact with a alien civilization, however it all turns into a (title drop) because technology doesn't equal competence.
Black holes, temporal engineering, with Lem's weirdness factor going full throttle.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Stanislaw Lem's FIASCO is $1.20 on the amazon kindle store for a unknown amount of time left, get it. Seriously.
FIasco is the Lem story about 1st contact with a alien civilization, however it all turns into a (title drop) because technology doesn't equal competence.
Black holes, temporal engineering, with Lem's weirdness factor going full throttle.

Thanks buddy, got it

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Has anyone read "Medusa Uploaded" by Emily Devenport? If so, what are you thoughts on it?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Tor released a list of fantasy books coming out next year. The Monster Baru Cormorant and The Secret Commonwealth are my must reads.

Also GRRM has a new book about the TargaryNs coming out but I’m not getting anything more from him until Winds of Winter is actually published.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarksMan posted:

Has anyone read "Medusa Uploaded" by Emily Devenport? If so, what are you thoughts on it?

No, the but synopsis looks interesting. Just purchased and will probably read over the weekend.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've enjoyed GRRM's 'historical' stories way more than his novels for a while now. They're less bloated, and condense down most of the good parts of ASOIAF without all the rest of it.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

No, the but synopsis looks interesting. Just purchased and will probably read over the weekend.

I'm 4 chapters in and I like it so far

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I enjoyed it. It's not super deep reading, but I'll pick up more books from the author.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is your regular reminder that you need The Cyberiad in your life. And library.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mllaneza posted:

LeGuin and Bujold both clocked another Hugo this weekend. Bujold now has both of the Hugos awarded so far for best series, this time for the Five Gods series. Frankly, they can stop right there. If you've enjoyed the novels, I can't recommend the Penric novellas highly enough.

I just finished A Closed and Common Orbit. A very moving, very touching book. Chambers is growing as a novelist. I would have been happy if it just rolled along until Jane's story became Pepper's and one day she midwifes an AI into a bodykit. But of course Owl had to be rescued, and I like the epilogue with the bar and the networked tech pets.

It's not a direct sequel and I'm fine with that, I'm very happy with the story I got. Both books are slice of life novels with interesting characters in exotic situations, with a climax and an epilogue. She's going to start winning awards soon, the nomination for ACaCO was richly deserved, and might have won in 2016 or 2015.

If you liked both of the others you'll like Record.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

mllaneza posted:

This is your regular reminder that you need The Cyberiad in your life. And library.

Agreed, more people should read Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad.
Personally own a trade paperback + ebook editions of the Cyberiad.
The Cyberiad story featuring the machine unable to add 2+2 correctly heavily predated what was is now classified as internet trolls/trolling.

quote:

A warning, if you please, observed Klapaucius dryly. Not only is it sensitive, dense and stubborn, but quick to take offense, and believe me, with such an abundance of qualities there are all sorts of things you might do!

"This is your third warning," said the machine.

"What?" cried Trurl, infuriated by its imperious manner. "You ... you ..." And he kicked it several times, shouting: "You’re only good for kicking, you know that?"

"You have insulted me for the fourth, fifth, sixth and eighth times, said the machine. "Therefore I refuse to answer all further questions of a mathematical nature".

"It refuses! Do you hear that?" fumed Trurl, thoroughly exasperated.
"After six comes eight -did you notice, Klapaucius?- not seven, but eight! And that’s the kind of mathematics Her Highness refuses to perform!"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Agreed, more people should read Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad.
Personally own a trade paperback + ebook editions of the Cyberiad.
The Cyberiad story featuring the machine unable to add 2+2 correctly heavily predated what was is now classified as internet trolls/trolling.

hahah that excerpt is too good - I've never heard of The Cyberiad until now, but I might need to check it out! :D
(Also, based off the title alone, is this some kind of bizarro cyberpunk adaptation of The Alexiad or something? If not, well, it's something I want to happen, now)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

(Also, based off the title alone, is this some kind of bizarro cyberpunk adaptation of The Alexiad or something? If not, well, it's something I want to happen, now)
Alexiad is a story about Alexios. Iliad is a story about Ilion (Troy).

Cyberiad is a story about robots.

e:too many l's

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of robots, new Ari Marmell book is up for pre order. Basically, sounds like humanity vs skynet vs dracula, so I'm all kinds of there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQJLJVV/

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just finished Jack Vance's Demon Princes books, and I thought they were pretty good. How do they compare with the rest of Vance's oeuvre?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Solitair posted:

I just finished Jack Vance's Demon Princes books, and I thought they were pretty good. How do they compare with the rest of Vance's oeuvre?

The hero who needs 4 pieces of court admissible evidence before acting against villains is SOP(standard operating procedures) for most of Vance's non-Kugel/non-Dying Earth work. So does people being impossibly clever gently caress you got mine bastards in most of his work.

Major Isoor posted:

hahah that excerpt is too good - I've never heard of The Cyberiad until now, but I might need to check it out! :D

The Cyberiad is a bunch of light-hearted fairytales/extremely far future stories involving robots written in the early 1960s by a polish scifi writer. The Cyberiad is relatively unknown mainly because the author was polish, lived in russian occupied Poland, and wrote everything in his native language. The fact that most of Lem's work is fantastic, even after 2 or 3 translations from it's original language is staggering. Like that love poem written exclusively with math terms in the Cyberiad...

https://www.aleph.se/Trans/Cultural/Art/tensor.html (also from the Cyberiad)

quote:

Come, let us hasten to a higher plane
Where dyads tread the fairy fields of Venn,
Their indices bedecked from one to n
Commingled in an endless Markov chain!

Come, every frustrum longs to be a cone
And every vector dreams of matrices.
Hark to the gentle gradient of the breeze:
It whispers of a more ergodic zone.

In Riemann, Hilbert or in Banach space
Let superscripts and subscripts go their ways.
Our asymptotes no longer out of phase,
We shall encounter, counting, face to face.

I'll grant thee random access to my heart,
Thou'lt tell me all the constants of thy love;
And so we two shall all love's lemmas prove,
And in our bound partition never part.

For what did Cauchy know, or Christoffel,
Or Fourier, or any Bools or Euler,
Wielding their compasses, their pens and rulers,
Of thy supernal sinusoidal spell?

Cancel me not - for what then shall remain?
Abscissas some mantissas, modules, modes,
A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.

Ellipse of bliss, converge, O lips divine!
the product o four scalars is defines!
Cyberiad draws nigh, and the skew mind
Cuts capers like a happy haversine.

I see the eigenvalue in thine eye,
I hear the tender tensor in thy sigh.
Bernoulli would have been content to die,
Had he but known such a^2 cos 2 phi!

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 24, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Cyberiad is a bunch of light-hearted fairytales/extremely far future stories involving robots written in the early 1960s by a polish scifi writer. The Cyberiad is relatively unknown mainly because the author was polish, lived in russian occupied Poland, and wrote everything in his native language. The fact that most of Lem's work is fantastic, even after 2 or 3 translations from it's original language is staggering. Like that love poem written exclusively with math terms in the Cyberiad...

I grew up with The Cyberiad (and Mortal Engines, which is in a similar vein and was also translated by Kandel) on the shelves, and it's a crime that they aren't better known in English. Also, Kandel deserves some kind of medal for successfully translating all the wordplay in those books, holy poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ccs posted:

Tor released a list of fantasy books coming out next year. The Monster Baru Cormorant and The Secret Commonwealth are my must reads.

Also GRRM has a new book about the TargaryNs coming out but I’m not getting anything more from him until Winds of Winter is actually published.

Witness this person who doesn't look forward to the Karsa Orlong trilogy.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I can buy the The Cyberiad: Stories.

Kindle price $7.95,
Paperback $12.93
Hardcover $785.30

I'll probably get it digital I think.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's probably a good call, hardbacks can be quite awkward to carry around.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Solitair posted:

Pretty standard. Vance's output is very steady in terms of style and quality If you want to continue with his SF work, you might enjoy the Planet of Adventure books (City of the Chasch et al); or you could try his fantasy, with the Cugel books (the first one is Eyes of the Overworld) or the Lyonesse books (Suldrun's Garden et al).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
jedao kramers into the hexarchate and just keeps kramering, sliding off fortresses, bouncing against wolf towers. you get the feeling he's trying to spike your calendar but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails hellspin fortress and falls into the black cradle you think you hear him exclaim "I'm not even a kel, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

General Battuta posted:

jedao kramers into the hexarchate and just keeps kramering, sliding off fortresses, bouncing against wolf towers. you get the feeling he's trying to spike your calendar but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails hellspin fortress and falls into the black cradle you think you hear him exclaim "I'm not even a kel, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down
Is there a new story out or is this just a case of loving loving jedao.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

General Battuta posted:

You confusing other authors with obscure SA forums memes is my new jam

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

General Battuta posted:

Next Baru Cormorant book looking pretty good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That Stanislaw Lem poem makes no sense mathematically. He’s just shoving terms in there. You get more sensible results from university a cappella groups of math majors

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ccs posted:

That Stanislaw Lem poem makes no sense mathematically. He’s just shoving terms in there. You get more sensible results from university a cappella groups of math majors

Thats....the point. It's a LOVE POEM.
Trurl built a electronic poet and challenged his friend Klapaucius to stump it. Previous dickish poem requests by Klapaucius were for "a poem about a haircut, lofty tone, six lines, cleverly rhymed, with all words beginning with the letter s", "now all in g..a sonnet about a old cyclotron who keep sixteen artifical mistresses"

quote:

Klapaucius thought, and thought some more.

Finally he nodded and said:

“Very well. Let’s have a love poem, lyrical, pastoral, and expressed in the language of pure mathematics. Tensor algebra mainly, with a little topology and higher calculus, if need be. But with feeling, you understand, and in the cybernetic spirit.”

“Love and tensor algebra? Have you taken leave of your senses?” Trurl began, but stopped, for his electronic bard was already declaiming:

Klapaucius tends to be a dick in the Cyberiad.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

hannibal posted:

Next Baru Cormorant book looking pretty good.

The Hexarch Shuos Baru is the most ambitious crossover event in history.