Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Jabor posted:

On the one hand, being slightly over-tuned to begin with, and then pulling it back in line with everything else once people have had enough of a taste to see if they like it, can be a decent way to get people to actually play new characters instead of just ignoring them and sticking with their favourites.

On the other hand, making new champs too powerful could risk making things feel like too much of a treadmill for people who don't have the champions pack.

They've all caused some howls of rage when dropped and then all been slightly pulled back but that's also been for two other reasons rather than being over tuned, one is sort of obvious and two is sort of something that rarely gets brought up.

The obvious one is that they are new and it takes everyone a good while to get what not to do against them. Combined with being a bit over tuned this ends up making things seem worse than they actually are and I get the complaints.

The less obvious one is that all but one of the new characters have been medium class which is slowly settling down as the optimal weight to be at. BJ, Doom, Strogg, Death Knight all mediums, only Keel gets the full 150 armor and even then he's the size of a medium. This is a bit of head jerk from the closed stage where Slorag was every where and puking on everyone, lights were harder to hit but had less health, and heavies had a higher health cap as well rather than just spawning with more. Keels a bit odd due to size but outside of the completely broken Clutch large heavies just aren't used anymore really, and lights have taken a pummeling as well. Keep in mind that all these characters are also rated easy to use, rather than the hard rating of the lights.

They really need to drop more large and light characters right now and give those areas some love. IIRC Kleek and Hunter are coming out so that may fix that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

MysteriousStranger posted:

Watch your KDR with him though. You can blow your rear end up with that as well. He's also getting nerfed next patch.

EDIT- also if your ELO rises and you run him people will swap to Nyx/Clutch which effectively hard counters your ability.

DOUBLE EDIT!- Also I think my ELO rose recently. A few days ago I was where people would straight quit the match if they saw a Death Knight, now I see Clutch and Nyx instant switches if they do.

Turns out I like abilities after playing death knight, though I'm confused how I have fire immunity but did blow myself up with fire. Maybe it's just immunity to fire on the ground, not the initial hit from other knight blasts or my own?

This is way more fun than Quake Live, sorry to say. It looks better, the soundtrack is great, and a lot of people play it. Seems it placed me at a middle rating where I stomp pubs but if I try to do ranked it's a 10 minute wait. Could also just be my awful time of day I play at.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

extra stout posted:

Turns out I like abilities after playing death knight, though I'm confused how I have fire immunity but did blow myself up with fire. Maybe it's just immunity to fire on the ground, not the initial hit from other knight blasts or my own?

This is way more fun than Quake Live, sorry to say. It looks better, the soundtrack is great, and a lot of people play it. Seems it placed me at a middle rating where I stomp pubs but if I try to do ranked it's a 10 minute wait. Could also just be my awful time of day I play at.

His ability is going to get nerfed but...

It has two parts. Where it goes over the ground and after it impacts is fire damage. He is immune to this (and thus also another death knights gauntlet burn). The balls themselves cause explosive damage on impact, which he is not immune to. So a close shot where all three balls impact the other guy can also blow you up. It's also possible, especially if you are in the air or they are in the air when you fire it not to catch them on fire with it and only get the impact shot.

There's an ideal range where you can't hit yourself with it and you can wrap the balls behind them or on their sides so they eat all three shots, can't avoid the fire, and you stand no chance of blowing yourself up. But if you point blank use the ability and don't have a really good stack you will blow yourself up along with them. Ditto if you turn a sharp corner and blind fire a rocket and then reaction fire your ability if you see them, you'll eat three fireballs and a rocket and so will they.

Charging at him blindly is actually a good idea because if he fires he dies as well. Though, like BJ and Doom nobody seems to realize this one yet.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

What's the deal with the netcode? I'm no Fatal One Thank You but it feels okay to me. I see tons of people bitching about it everywhere other than here and claiming the game is fundamentally broken, though. Also I guess there were a bunch of technical problems at Dreamhack or Quakecon or something?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
complaining about netcode is how people that never experienced dialup compensate for the fact that at least 1 person out there on the internet might be better than them at left clicking their mouse for points in a videogame

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

don't read the Reddit, it's full of kiddie baby whiners

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The game actually has lag compensation, so you can click on people to shoot them instead of having to lead your rails by exactly as much as your ping like in the old days.

As a bit of a natural consequence, you get situations where you ducked behind a corner or through a teleporter or something, but on their screen they shot you-50ms-ago and you die even though you thought you escaped. If you're the sort of person prone to raging out and blaming everything but yourself when you lose, it's an easy thing to point at to protect your ego.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah that's kind of what I suspected... I've always been a fan of clientside hit detection so I don't mind the rare cases where it fucks you over.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

His ability is going to get nerfed but...

Thanks, I was all in on this game until I just did my first duel, it's a total loving joke and they abandoned the Quake Live system, the guy they put me with for my first match is ranked like 400th in the world, and it sucks rear end since I was being kind and vague before

Still going to be my go to DM/TDM game.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sikreci posted:

What's the deal with the netcode? I'm no Fatal One Thank You but it feels okay to me. I see tons of people bitching about it everywhere other than here and claiming the game is fundamentally broken, though. Also I guess there were a bunch of technical problems at Dreamhack or Quakecon or something?

At QCon the spectator client was lagging a bit on day 1, and they were troubleshooting that through the day. Fixed by Day 2, but a bunch of redditors thought that it affected the players themselves.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Sikreci posted:

One legitimate complaint that comes up is the lag during major events which are supposed to be over LAN. Of course since there is no LAN client they have the game running on a local server which can lead to poo poo like this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/TardyOptimisticAnacondaPanicBasket

And yes, if it wasn't obvious this lag spike is happening for the players too not just the spectators (during the Dreamhack 2v2 tourney they even had player comms on during one lag spike and you could hear them complain about it). Spikes like this happen at least once or twice during every major but I don't think they should ever be considered acceptable in such a controlled environment.

I think most of the general complaining about netcode is pointing to one off events and ignoring the 600 times the rocket didn't phase through your body or not stopping to think about if there even exists a reasonable way to handle hit registration when an opponent has 300 ping. People compare it to Quake Live netcode when its going to be different because its a different engine with different devs built for a different game.

While it's easy to say people need to stop whining and git gud, complaining has lead to some really good fixes being made. It wasn't too long ago that the the client-server tickrate was tied to your FPS:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/113893/weapon-fire-rates-are-linked-to-frame-rates-clip-included
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/113925/high-upload-usage

MJBuddy posted:

At QCon the spectator client was lagging a bit on day 1, and they were troubleshooting that through the day. Fixed by Day 2, but a bunch of redditors thought that it affected the players themselves.

It does affect the players at least some of the time. Here, I went and dug up the clip:

https://clips.twitch.tv/OnerousGiftedCookieRlyTho

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 23, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

anyone know what the update that dropped today was? there's no news about it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

boar guy posted:

anyone know what the update that dropped today was? there's no news about it
https://twitter.com/Quake/status/1032647776583262208

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Goddamnit my monitor died. Should I get the XL2411P? I'm worried about going down from a 27" 1440 IPS to a 1080p 24" TN. I do use the computer for some productivity and watching TV/Movies. Any other recommendations?

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

get a 1080p/144hz/1ms TN for games, and a real monitor for everything else

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have a 144hz VA panel and it ain't bad

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Housh posted:

Goddamnit my monitor died. Should I get the XL2411P? I'm worried about going down from a 27" 1440 IPS to a 1080p 24" TN. I do use the computer for some productivity and watching TV/Movies. Any other recommendations?

What is your budget? I have that 144hz benq and a 4k 60hz IPS LG for productivity. The cost of this setup is roughly the same as a 27inch IPS 1440p 144hz monitor because those are all going to come with gsync/fresync at that size and res.

ndub posted:

get a 1080p/144hz/1ms TN for games, and a real monitor for everything else

This mans knows what's up!

Seriously though. You can get a gaming 24 144hz 1ms 1080p TN + 24 or 27 4k IPS 60hz 4ms for the same price as a 27 1440p 144hz ips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4ENDXR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 this is if you want it all

hawowanlawow posted:

I have a 144hz VA panel and it ain't bad

I've got dual samsungs at 27 1440p like this at the girl friend station and they are nice.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 23, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think you guys are right about the dual monitor path. It would make it easier to stream too. I will need to change around my desktop setup but this might be a nice fall renovation to my office.

Good news is that my current monitor was resurrected with a heat gun.

Question: G-sync is only for Nvidia cards and Free-sync is only for AMD, right? DVI dual-link is only needed for that benq cause it uses it's own sync system? All the G-sync monitor seem to be displayport.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

144hz requires DVI dual or displayport in general just for the bandwidth. make sure to get the right kind of DVI cable because the naming convention is stupid and backwards. whatever monitor you order will probably come with it though

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Housh posted:

I think you guys are right about the dual monitor path. It would make it easier to stream too. I will need to change around my desktop setup but this might be a nice fall renovation to my office.

Good news is that my current monitor was resurrected with a heat gun.

Question: G-sync is only for Nvidia cards and Free-sync is only for AMD, right? DVI dual-link is only needed for that benq cause it uses it's own sync system? All the G-sync monitor seem to be displayport.

Yes on all this but you're missing something.

Benq uses their own stuff and they don't dabble in Freesync Gsync but you won't have any issues with them either, however it's not a sync item. Adaptive sync requires displayport, but all the 144hz monitors require DVI Dual Digital or Display port to get the bandwidth to pull it off.

In a nut shell, all monitor companies have their own scaller but generally source panels from someone else. All the 144hz 1ms TN panels and the 240hz 1ms panels come from a company called AU Optronics, AU Optronics is Benq. Benq uses their own proprietary scaller that they've optimized and tweaked for their stuff. G-SYNC uses a proprietary module by nvidia that replaces whatever the company was doing, hence the huge royalty tax on it. Freesync uses the built in functions of the displayport standard to do it. Which is why Benq is the only one really selling 144hz monitors that don't have g-sync or freesync. Benq also has their own proprietary blur reduction and other items so while it's qualified for nvidia 3D vision it's not using their stuff.

ndub posted:

144hz requires DVI dual or displayport in general just for the bandwidth. make sure to get the right kind of DVI cable because the naming convention is stupid and backwards. whatever monitor you order will probably come with it though

All will come with the exact cable to need and instructions saying please only use this cable you idiot don't go buying a fancy one it won't work.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Heh, rank inflation is real this season, placed all the way up in Diamond after my 10 duel matches :smugdog:

E: if you want to suffer through my placements with me as I berate myself for my mistakes in real time, here you go, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/301078066?t=1h15m

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 24, 2018

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

All, we are trying wrassle up some 2v2 or 4v4 or 3v3 in the discord on Sunday. We have one voice now for premade drops but TT will give us two if we ask. You can invite non goons to the discord just PM TT to get them coms access. I've also been granted access to create more voice channels at will in our discord. So let me know if I should expand it for you.

Please idle there as it's a use it or have to reactivate it thing for our channel. I'm soareversor in there.

Fun fact! These dead gay forums started because of Quake so... dunno just mid air rockets some people.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Heh, rank inflation is real this season, placed all the way up in Diamond after my 10 duel matches :smugdog:

E: if you want to suffer through my placements with me as I berate myself for my mistakes in real time, here you go, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/301078066?t=1h15m

Your stream is down duder.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sikreci posted:

Ugh the whole concept of 'netcode' as such needs to die. People convince themselves of all kinds of things that aren't true.

Would you say "this game has good graphicscode but bad guncode" ??

If you haven't seen the source then you don't know, speculating on that stuff is pointless, too many variables.

Does the server count as 'netcode'? Its nonsense.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Ugh the whole concept of 'netcode' as such needs to die. People convince themselves of all kinds of things that aren't true.

Would you say "this game has good graphicscode but bad guncode" ??

If you haven't seen the source then you don't know, speculating on that stuff is pointless, too many variables.

Does the server count as 'netcode'? Its nonsense.

Back in the locked alpha and closed beta before you could buy into the game (some people in this thread were part of those) there were massive problems. Ditto through the entire buy into beta and part of the early access phase. There have been some gently caress ups since then but they have largely fixed them. Netcode and hit registration is MUCH better than it used to be. There is also a massive issue with player with high ping and the efforts to mittigate that don't always work.

Most people don't know WTF they are talking about when they scream NETCODE! The NDA still holds for those who were in the alpha but for those who were in the beta I don't think a single one has said poo poo didn't get fixed. I've still got a clip of me and Love Stole The Day back when where I tripple air roxed someone and not a drat one registered damage. Only for him to warp behind me and one shot me.

Also I think many of us old schoolers who play this game remember quake and quake 2 on dialup.... this aint that.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

LOL I think this is your boy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
somethings definitely screwy about the netcode, lag compensation in particular.

when i forget to check my datacenters and accidentally end up in russian/asian servers with a ping of 150+ i become this insane railgod with like 80% + accuracy, it's like every hitbox is the size of a barn and every incoming rail just sails past/through me without doing any damage.

paradoxically, when i remember to check my datacenters and my ping is sub 20 i find it a lot trickier to land hits and i feel like a magnet for rail slugs and lg beams. used to be the same with rockets/nails a couple patches ago, but they're a lot better now.

i definitely feel penalized when using rail/mg with a lower ping though which is weird.

maybe it's the game... but it might just be my muscle memory being so used to compensating for lag that i'm, reflexively under/overshooting?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Back in the locked alpha and closed beta before you could buy into the game (some people in this thread were part of those) there were massive problems. Ditto through the entire buy into beta and part of the early access phase. There have been some gently caress ups since then but they have largely fixed them. Netcode and hit registration is MUCH better than it used to be. There is also a massive issue with player with high ping and the efforts to mittigate that don't always work.

Most people don't know WTF they are talking about when they scream NETCODE! The NDA still holds for those who were in the alpha but for those who were in the beta I don't think a single one has said poo poo didn't get fixed. I've still got a clip of me and Love Stole The Day back when where I tripple air roxed someone and not a drat one registered damage. Only for him to warp behind me and one shot me.

Also I think many of us old schoolers who play this game remember quake and quake 2 on dialup.... this aint that.

I was in the closed beta

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jose Mengelez posted:

somethings definitely screwy about the netcode

Y'all are trying to upset me huh :cheeky:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I was in the closed beta

If you were in the locked beta or alpha then why are you breaking your NDA?

EDIT- I'm screwing with you. Get on discord duder.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 24, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Zaphod42 posted:

Y'all are trying to upset me huh :cheeky:

Explain how netcode is not a thing. Genuinely trying to understand you here.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It would be a million times easier to install a grease monkey script to auto replace “net code” with “lag compensation” than fight this fight. But as someone who refuses to capitalize all three letters of Elo, I sympathize.

Hit sounds and visuals used to be entirely client side while damage and knock back were server side so you could shoot point blank rockets and hear direct hit sounds but do zero damage because where your client predicted they would be didn’t match up with where the server calculated they were when your projectile went through. They seemed to have built their whole architecture for lag compensation around this being OK.

At the same time, hit boxes were generally a lot smaller (especially light champs’, who were more viable at the time) and they tried to make the hit boxes move with minor animations, but those animations could hardly ever be in sync between two clients.

All this got a lot worse with more lag (more predicted movement, worse animation synchronization) but even on LAN there were fake direct rocket sounds.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

kaschei posted:

It would be a million times easier to install a grease monkey script to auto replace “net code” with “lag compensation” than fight this fight. But as someone who refuses to capitalize all three letters of Elo, I sympathize.

Hit sounds and visuals used to be entirely client side while damage and knock back were server side so you could shoot point blank rockets and hear direct hit sounds but do zero damage because where your client predicted they would be didn’t match up with where the server calculated they were when your projectile went through. They seemed to have built their whole architecture for lag compensation around this being OK.

At the same time, hit boxes were generally a lot smaller (especially light champs’, who were more viable at the time) and they tried to make the hit boxes move with minor animations, but those animations could hardly ever be in sync between two clients.

All this got a lot worse with more lag (more predicted movement, worse animation synchronization) but even on LAN there were fake direct rocket sounds.

I also missed the days of anarki, nyx, and slash walking through rockets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Explain how netcode is not a thing. Genuinely trying to understand you here.

Like I said before, "netcode" isn't necessarily code. It could be server configuration, network configuration, hardware, bandwidth, the actual game's design itself, and a dozen other factors.

Yes, there is latency compensation in the game engine, but that isn't necessarily the thing you're complaining about or what you're experiencing when there's good or bad "netcode".

Its like saying a game has really good "graphicscode". Well, Doom 2016 and Quake Champions both look very good, but its not just because they have amazing "graphicscode", its because they have good looking models with a nice consistent style, in addition to running in an engine that performs well. You feel me?

Its just such a catch-all term for describing video-game network performance that its basically voodoo. Its a personal pet peeve of mine but agh. The term inherently over-simplifies a very complicated situation.

Like to me complaining about "netcode" implies that the developers are morons and if they simply changed out a couple of lines of code everybody would suddenly have a great online experience, and that's just not the case.
Does not having dedicated servers mean a game has bad "netcode" for instance?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 25, 2018

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

people who play games on the internet just have a really hard time grasping that their client is 200ms ahead of the rest of the players even with a good ping time. worldstate processing isnt instant, sending data over a network even less so. back in the day, this game synced shots across clients by forcing the client to wait for a server response when firing, containing the position/vector of the projectile, and it played like complete poo poo. now it's extremely lenient; you only need to shoot the 3d model without having to lead your shots by your ping or wait on any delays. sometimes you get railed around a corner or direct hit by a rocket that seemingly missed, but that's just your client being ahead and out of sync with the rest of the game. everybody bitching about it happening to them is benefiting from it too, just in reverse. i highly recommend battlenonsense's videos about this stuff, but also sitting down and programming some of this poo poo for yourself in e.g., python

now if you want to see absolutely rotten game networking in action (inaction?) go pick up pubg, or titanfall 2. in the case of the latter, i stopped playing when the playerbase shrank so much that inter-continental matchmaking started being the norm. in that game, high latency players would appear to teleport several feet at a time, as the interpolation completely falls apart - something that quake chumps got right. qc is totally playable with 200+ ping, though you may have a hard time winning LG dps races etc due to how far ahead your client is, but it doesn't become totally unworkable

edit: here is a good example of a bunch of idiots blaming the game when the dude clearly misses his shot

ndub fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 25, 2018

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

ndub posted:

edit: here is a good example of a bunch of idiots blaming the game when the dude clearly misses his shot

They're not saying the shot should've hit. "The item being picked up by busdriverx while him not being remotely close to the item itself. busdriverx's position on the server is on top of it but the extrapolated position on Vo0's end fails because of massive amounts of interpolation causing desyncing to happen.​ This happens every match more or less, it's one of the reasons why splash damage from rockets are as inconsistent as they are."

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

nah, the pickup range on items is much larger than it appears. you don't need to be on the little dais under it at all. the shooter was expecting him to jump straight into the middle of the item, hence where the shot was placed, but the guy grabbing the armor didn't move that far into the item spawn. it's well known that heavy armor is easily railed from those stairs and the lg room through the gap around the portal on that map, he was probably anticipating that and cut his jump short. if you watch the video closely, you can see the visor start to back away from the armor after picking it up. i really think that was a deliberate movement and we don't know if he had piercing sight up to make that kind of risky play work out, but i would say this is a more likely scenario than some kind of one-off networking oddity that has yet to be reproduced in a controlled environment

https://gfycat.com/LimpAncientBandicoot

edit: the guy grabbing the armor apparently competed at quakecon the other week so yeah this kind of micro strategy totally seems reasonable at that skill level imo

ndub fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 25, 2018

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Same, except it sort of put me off playing this game completely, because I'm assuming everyone else on this rank is actually good. I still say that I had a lot of fun before they reset the rankings, after they did so my playtime plummeted. The other modes are just jank IMO.

e: That, and I'm stuck in the trap of only enjoying Duel while seriously not enjoying having to play against BJ every single game.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 25, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
They've done a lot of infrastructure improvements (that I'm sure were not easy to make) since alpha and beta. The differences are astounding.

Playing it now makes me regret not getting serious into Quake in its heyday. Couldn't even tell you why, really, suppose I just had my attention diverted outside of the odd impulse to CTF, FFA or CA. Too many games during the golden period of FPS.

It's cool seeing how much fun people have in the ranked modes, though. Now that's the tough stuff. It looks appealing.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Like I said before, "netcode" isn't necessarily code. It could be server configuration, network configuration, hardware, bandwidth, the actual game's design itself, and a dozen other factors.

Yes, there is latency compensation in the game engine, but that isn't necessarily the thing you're complaining about or what you're experiencing when there's good or bad "netcode".

Its like saying a game has really good "graphicscode". Well, Doom 2016 and Quake Champions both look very good, but its not just because they have amazing "graphicscode", its because they have good looking models with a nice consistent style, in addition to running in an engine that performs well. You feel me?

Its just such a catch-all term for describing video-game network performance that its basically voodoo. Its a personal pet peeve of mine but agh. The term inherently over-simplifies a very complicated situation.

Like to me complaining about "netcode" implies that the developers are morons and if they simply changed out a couple of lines of code everybody would suddenly have a great online experience, and that's just not the case.
Does not having dedicated servers mean a game has bad "netcode" for instance?

You're being annoyingly pedantic.