Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Nice to see that I'm not the only weirdo that wants the gyro controls to be inverted. Tilting a stick forward makes you aim up, so why make gyro the opposite of that?
Tilting a thing held in your hand forward, say for example a gun, makes the gun aim down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nice to see that I'm not the only weirdo that wants the gyro controls to be inverted. Tilting a stick forward makes you aim up, so why make gyro the opposite of that?

I can't even imagine what horrible things happen in your brain to think that looking down to look up is a good idea.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hollow Knight is 9.90 digital. If anyone's looking for a discount (I think).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there supposed to not be a sound when you get hit in Hollow Knight? It seems weird.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No and it irritates me

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tilting a stick forward makes you aim up, so why make gyro the opposite of that?

:abrathink:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I remember a Miyamoto quote in some video game magazine forever ago that said you should think about it like a puppet. You tilt your hand back and the puppet looks up

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
We got a release date fro Senran Kagura Reflections. September 13th. Here's the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GriPKke7wDg

I'm not going to embed it. It's a senran Kagura game, If you click on it you know what you're getting into.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Who isn't Unholy Heights available in Canada.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

Don't want to start a derail but pre-ordering in general when it comes to video games is stupid and bad and predatory against the consumer.
If I lived in Japan I'd preorder everything, since they consistently have a supply problem for new releases.

Hell, even now I preorder everything early so I consistently get release day shipping from Amazon. I'd do that even without the discount.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Cojawfee posted:

Is there supposed to not be a sound when you get hit in Hollow Knight? It seems weird.

It should make a loud, bass-heavy boom followed by a low-pass filter on the rest of the audio for a second or two to simulate a concussive effect. I'm unclear if this is what is happening for you but that's the way it should be, at least.

It is kinda weird as someone who who always cranks music and turns down SFX though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

whaley posted:

I remember a Miyamoto quote in some video game magazine forever ago that said you should think about it like a puppet. You tilt your hand back and the puppet looks up

How are you holding your controller? You're moving the sticks with your thumbs, everything is pretty relative. Most people manipulate a thing expecting it to mimic their movements.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 23, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

there's a 100% an aural reaction when you take a hit

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is this $30 FastSnail cable the only way to connect the Switch to a TV without the dock?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Looper posted:

there's a 100% an aural reaction when you take a hit

The damage non-sound in HK is great because it perfectly mimics the actual stunned feeling of getting loving whacked in the head

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still down on gyro controls i guess. I didn't like the wii, had to turn them off in Splatoon and they're a nightmare in the Zelda shrines that have gyro segments

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Besides Retro, does Nintendo have any good Western studios?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm still down on gyro controls i guess. I didn't like the wii, had to turn them off in Splatoon and they're a nightmare in the Zelda shrines that have gyro segments

Gyros are a brand new control scheme, you can't expect to be good at them right away. When the original splatoon test fire dropped, I spent all three days in the tutorial just getting used to moving. You have to teach your mind to use the third camera. It's worth it though.

Personally don't really care for the botw implementation much, though I use them, as it forces you use one or the other, so you're reaction is more than warranted.

Best gyro implemention on the system is currently fortnite(when it's working) and sky rogue. Fortnite has a lot of granular options that make it easier to control than splatoon. Sky rogue has a revolutionary flight stick setup that miyamato should look at for Star fox.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Next Level Games are pretty good.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Next Level Games might count, though they're an affiliate rather than a full subsidiary. And their last game wasn't very good, but otherwise.

e:fb;

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Reality Loser posted:

Who isn't Unholy Heights available in Canada.

What the hell

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is the Switch port of Hollow Knight okay, and caught up patchwise? I didn't give it much of a chance in its original release, figure now's a tood time to try it while i'm spending time bedridden

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Is the Switch port of Hollow Knight okay, and caught up patchwise? I didn't give it much of a chance in its original release, figure now's a tood time to try it while i'm spending time bedridden

The port is basically perfect

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Edit; gently caress, beaten

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

Edit; gently caress, beaten

Thanks, I think I get the punctuation wrong differently every time

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Hollow Knight is one of the few Switch ports I've seen that never dips below 60fps, and it got the latest update a whole 15m after other platforms, so yeah it's good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

Really good port and it just got the new free dlc today.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

You have to really hand it to Sony. They really built up their Western studios, to the point where they actually overshadow their quality Japanese counterparts.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 23, 2018

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is this $30 FastSnail cable the only way to connect the Switch to a TV without the dock?

There is no way to properly connect a Switch to a TV without the dock. At one point using any type of third party dock completely bricked a Switch, like time to get a new one. You can buy an official dock and one of those unofficial dock housings and move the guts over. You'll also need an official AC adapter because the Switch is technically not USB-PD compliant and a compliant USB-PD adapter might break your Switch

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd really like to see Graveyard Keeper on Switch. I'd play the poo poo out of that on the go.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

You have to really hand it to Sony. They really built up their Western studios, to the point where they actually overshadow their Japanese counterparts.
You say that like it's a good thing...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

American McGay posted:

You say that like it's a good thing...

Their Japanese studios produce high quality games, but their Western ones go further beyond even that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Western studios just make generic third person shooters, Japan gave us Bloodborne and Knack

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

f#a# posted:

It should make a loud, bass-heavy boom followed by a low-pass filter on the rest of the audio for a second or two to simulate a concussive effect. I'm unclear if this is what is happening for you but that's the way it should be, at least.

It is kinda weird as someone who who always cranks music and turns down SFX though.

Ok, that isn't obvious with the Switch speakers at all. I put it in the dock and heard it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Western studios just make generic third person shooters, Japan gave us Bloodborne and Knack

it's too bad resident evil revelations 2 didn't take off so we could have a wave of second person shooters

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Western studios just make generic third person shooters,

lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

God of War is a first person shooter? Or is it a Knack-like?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A lot of Sony's Japanese 1st party studios are low key, and many are part of the nebulous "Japan Studio" umbrella. Stuff like Everybody's Golf, Siren, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, Last Guardian, Tokyo Jungle, is all made in part with them working with other developers which may/may not also be owned by Sony. So you don't hear about Team Gravity or Team Ico or Clap Hanz very much but you've probably played a Japan Studio game if you own a PlayStation. Then you've got the odd exception like Polyphony Digital that grew so big that they went international.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Okami is hilarious

• Locked thread