Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone have experience with a Canon P? I've been eyeing it as a more affordable alternative to a Leica iii / M3 for a light travel and street shooter. Also, what's the consensus on the P vs 7/7s?

Have you considered the Voigtlander Bessas? I had an R3a that I liked, for me aperture priority was a must-have. I briefly owned a Canon 7 that came in a package deal with some Canon LTM glass - very nicely built camera, and I quite liked the finder, but lack of Av and M-mount were dealbreakers. As a travel camera, I also felt much less bad beating on the R3a than I would a vintage rangefinder.

The P won't have a meter so there's that to contend with. A 7 will have a selenium (read: non-functioning in TYOOL 2018) meter, the 7s will have a CDS meter which should work. Whether or not that's worth paying the premium is up to you.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Have you considered the Voigtlander Bessas? I had an R3a that I liked, for me aperture priority was a must-have. I briefly owned a Canon 7 that came in a package deal with some Canon LTM glass - very nicely built camera, and I quite liked the finder, but lack of Av and M-mount were dealbreakers. As a travel camera, I also felt much less bad beating on the R3a than I would a vintage rangefinder.

The P won't have a meter so there's that to contend with. A 7 will have a selenium (read: non-functioning in TYOOL 2018) meter, the 7s will have a CDS meter which should work. Whether or not that's worth paying the premium is up to you.

Got a recommendation for relatively cheap bessas? I tried looking on ebay, and various R2's run for only around 100-200 less than an M3, so at that point I might as well just get the Leica.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If you get a Canon P, post some results and let us know how it works out. P's have those thin metal shutters and I think 99% of the working copies today have some amount of crinkling in one or both of the curtains. They say some light crinkling doesn't affect shutter accuracy or cause exposure difference across the frame, but I'd be interesting to see if that claim holds up in practice.

I've played with two different Soviet LTM lenses and one Kiev lens, all single-coated 50s, and found the results slightly-to-somewhat worse than an average Minolta/Nikon/Olympus SLR 50. None of the lenses were an Industar 61 L/D which is the only other Eastern Bloc LTM 50 that I'd want to try. There's a whole world of early LTM lenses from various Japanese manufactures out there and some of them must surely be better than the Soviet factories' lenses, while also being more affordable than Leica.

It's tempting to get back into. The Canon P looks so nice and so do those tiny rangefinder lenses. But I'm not going to; I'd have too sell off my FE2+Ai lens collection to justify it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If you get a Canon P, post some results and let us know how it works out. P's have those thin metal shutters and I think 99% of the working copies today have some amount of crinkling in one or both of the curtains. They say some light crinkling doesn't affect shutter accuracy or cause exposure difference across the frame, but I'd be interesting to see if that claim holds up in practice.

I've played with two different Soviet LTM lenses and one Kiev lens, all single-coated 50s, and found the results slightly-to-somewhat worse than an average Minolta/Nikon/Olympus SLR 50. None of the lenses were an Industar 61 L/D which is the only other Eastern Bloc LTM 50 that I'd want to try. There's a whole world of early LTM lenses from various Japanese manufactures out there and some of them must surely be better than the Soviet factories' lenses, while also being more affordable than Leica.

It's tempting to get back into. The Canon P looks so nice and so do those tiny rangefinder lenses. But I'm not going to; I'd have too sell off my FE2+Ai lens collection to justify it.

I’ve read that canon’s LTM lenses are actually pretty solid, anyone have any experience with them? I figure that since they run for around 150$ or less they’re a really solid alternative to leica stuff, hopefully without losing out on IQ like with the cheapo soviet stuff.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't know Canon's RF lenses specifically, but I doubt they are terrible.

If you're expecting modern wunderlenses with multicoating and ED/asph glass you're going to be disappointed but they are good lenses by the standards of 50s/60s spheric design. Just like any other lens you would have paid a hundred bucks for in 1950 dollars.

Typically the rule of thumb with older glass is to not expect miracles from "extreme" lenses (superwide, long tele, or superfast), those lenses really only became practical in the 70s with fancier glass and better designs. Anything that is between 28mm and 135mm and is not super fast for its length is fine for practical use, although perhaps not up to modern pixel-peeping levels.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 22, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't know Canon's RF lenses specifically, but I doubt they are terrible.

If you're expecting modern wunderlenses with multicoating and ED/asph glass you're going to be disappointed but they are good lenses by the standards of 50s/60s spheric design. Just like any other lens you would have paid a hundred bucks for in 1950 dollars.

Typically the rule of thumb with older glass is to not expect miracles from "extreme" lenses (superwide, long tele, or superfast), those lenses really only became practical in the 70s with fancier glass and better designs. Anything that is between 28mm and 135mm and is not super fast for its length is fine for practical use, although perhaps not up to modern pixel-peeping levels.

Oh yeah I’m definitely not expecting miracles or anything, just something solid that I can count on. I don’t have the money to get the really good stuff anyways, so I’m used to not having top of the line glass.

Also scoping out a Bessa R as a Canon P alternative. R2’s are out of my price range but the regular R is only like a hundred bucks more than the canons, so I might lean towards that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
What's the go-to cheap on camera flash at this point? I'm using a Sony A7iii but gently caress paying Sony $300-600 for a flash. I have a wedding to shoot at the end of September and I mostly just need one for low light shots. I try to do natural light for most of my wedding work. I used to shoot with a Canon 5d2 and 430EXii but it was all stolen when my place was broken into earlier this year.

I'm looking at a Godox 685 or something similar. Radio is nice though not a deal breaker but it looks like at this point it doesn't really add to the cost. I don't care too much one way or the other on batteries, though 4xAA is more universal and I won't have to worry about finding weird batteries years from now. I have a pile of eneloops so I would just stick with AA for the time being.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Verman posted:

What's the go-to cheap on camera flash at this point? I'm using a Sony A7iii but gently caress paying Sony $300-600 for a flash. I have a wedding to shoot at the end of September and I mostly just need one for low light shots. I try to do natural light for most of my wedding work. I used to shoot with a Canon 5d2 and 430EXii but it was all stolen when my place was broken into earlier this year.

I'm looking at a Godox 685 or something similar. Radio is nice though not a deal breaker but it looks like at this point it doesn't really add to the cost. I don't care too much one way or the other on batteries, though 4xAA is more universal and I won't have to worry about finding weird batteries years from now. I have a pile of eneloops so I would just stick with AA for the time being.

Godox. I use their smaller TT350 as an on camera flash at weddings. It's a little slow but I only use it for dancing so no biggy. I've never heard a complaint about the 685 tho for the record.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Swung by my local camera store to try out how things felt, and walked out with a Bessa R :v: the store didn't have many cheap and yet also decent quality ltm lenses in, so he threw in an Industar 50mm 3.5 for like 30 bucks. Any recommendations on a good, inexpensive (like under 200 preferably) LTM lenses I should look into? The store owner recommended a Jupiter 8 50mm, and those cost like nothing on ebay.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DAKANA GET IN HERE AND TELL THAT DUDE ALL ABOUT GODOX

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Verman posted:

The Sony flash should be a lot cheaper secondhand - there's a dude in my area with the nice one (plus two sets of Pixel recievers/transmitters) for AU$250 that's been sitting on Gumtree for like a month. Thinking about biting even though I already have one - would like to get back into doing off camera flash stuff.

Swung by my local camera store to try out how things felt, and walked out with a Bessa R :v: the store didn't have many cheap and yet also decent quality ltm lenses in, so he threw in an Industar 50mm 3.5 for like 30 bucks. Any recommendations on a good, inexpensive (like under 200 preferably) LTM lenses I should look into? The store owner recommended a Jupiter 8 50mm, and those cost like nothing on ebay.

If that's the collapsible Industar be careful as it can mash the meter cell of some rangefinders when retracted.

The J8 is basically free and a good performer - the annoying thing is no click stops on the aperture, but for the cost you can't really complain.

I also have the Russian 85mm f/2 - according to RFF nerds it actually cannot be focused completely accurately due to faulty design, so be warned there. I've only used it on film a handful of times but never noticed any problems, for what it's worth. TBH I never really used it much, as I got a heckuva deal on a Canon 100 f/2 (part of that Canon 7 package I mentioned in my last post). Even then I didn't find myself gravitating towards shooting longer lenses on a rangefinder.

When you can stretch your budget, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM is really well-regarded. I have the 1.2 (have I told you about the deal I got on that Canon 7 package...? :p) which is heavier but does produce some ~dreamy~ results wide open. One thing to remember is these lenses are not modern - at least with the 1.2, it's very susceptible to flare, coma, etc. I still use the 50 1.2 on my A7 pretty regularly.

I've been out of the game a looong time at this point, but IIRC you won't really find a 35mm lens or wider for less than $200 (the Jupiter 8 is the exception, but due to the big rear protuding element assembly it won't fit non Soviet cameras). Actually it looks like there is a weird Olympus one I've never heard of on eBay now sitting around $35, not sure what they go for regularly.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 23, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

RFF nerds it actually cannot be focused completely accurately due to faulty design

iirc the issue is that the Russian cameras use a different focal length assumption for the rangefinder cam arm, and so while it will operate it will tend to be a bit off the indicated distance

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

iirc the issue is that the Russian cameras use a different focal length assumption for the rangefinder cam arm, and so while it will operate it will tend to be a bit off the indicated distance

trap sprung

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The Sony flash should be a lot cheaper secondhand - there's a dude in my area with the nice one (plus two sets of Pixel recievers/transmitters) for AU$250 that's been sitting on Gumtree for like a month. Thinking about biting even though I already have one - would like to get back into doing off camera flash stuff.

If that's the collapsible Industar be careful as it can mash the meter cell of some rangefinders when retracted.

The J8 is basically free and a good performer - the annoying thing is no click stops on the aperture, but for the cost you can't really complain.

I also have the Russian 85mm f/2 - according to RFF nerds it actually cannot be focused completely accurately due to faulty design, so be warned there. I've only used it on film a handful of times but never noticed any problems, for what it's worth. TBH I never really used it much, as I got a heckuva deal on a Canon 100 f/2 (part of that Canon 7 package I mentioned in my last post). Even then I didn't find myself gravitating towards shooting longer lenses on a rangefinder.

When you can stretch your budget, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM is really well-regarded. I have the 1.2 (have I told you about the deal I got on that Canon 7 package...? :p) which is heavier but does produce some ~dreamy~ results wide open. One thing to remember is these lenses are not modern - at least with the 1.2, it's very susceptible to flare, coma, etc. I still use the 50 1.2 on my A7 pretty regularly.

I've been out of the game a looong time at this point, but IIRC you won't really find a 35mm lens or wider for less than $200 (the Jupiter 8 is the exception, but due to the big rear protuding element assembly it won't fit non Soviet cameras). Actually it looks like there is a weird Olympus one I've never heard of on eBay now sitting around $35, not sure what they go for regularly.

Thanks for the lens info! Any idea how the Canon 50mm 1.8 performs? It's just as cheap as the Jupiter 8, and Canon glass seems more reliable than soviet ones, so I'm wondering if that'd be a safer bet.

And yeah I'll save up for a good 35, I hear the color skopar is basically the ideal choice.

e: looking on ebay, the 1.4 is only slightly more expensive than the 1.8, so I may as well just shell out the whopping like 30 bucks more for that.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Godox system is the place to be at the moment. I have two Flashpoint (same as Godox) R2 Lithium flashes for on Sony (along with a receiver for my one Sony flash) with the X-Pro S transmitter. It really does just work and the fact that it's cross-brand compatible (just use the appropriate transmitter) is a huge mark in its favor.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thanks for the lens info! Any idea how the Canon 50mm 1.8 performs? It's just as cheap as the Jupiter 8, and Canon glass seems more reliable than soviet ones, so I'm wondering if that'd be a safer bet.

And yeah I'll save up for a good 35, I hear the color skopar is basically the ideal choice.

e: looking on ebay, the 1.4 is only slightly more expensive than the 1.8, so I may as well just shell out the whopping like 30 bucks more for that.

Get the 50 1.8 STM. Newer design, better autofocus, and sharper wide open.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hope and vaseline posted:

Get the 50 1.8 STM. Newer design, better autofocus, and sharper wide open.

Err, I was referring to the Canon 50mm 1.8 screw mount, which is fully manual. :v:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh NVM, ignore me then :)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I tried to search for a EOS-to-LTM adapter to link as a joke but unfortunately you can only go the other way

c'mon fotodiox, you're letting me down here :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So doing research on LTM lenses, I see some people suggesting shimming old FSU lenses for use with newer rangefinders like the Bessa R. Is this a big deal thing that generally needs to be done on most lenses, or more of an edge case? If I will probably need to get it done, should I buy as cheap of a lovely lens as possible, then send it somewhere to get cleaned up and adjusted? Or should I instead just buy a decent one in the first place for a bit more money? Fedka has J8's in decent shape for about 70 bucks, but ones in questionable passable shape are on eBay for like 10-20 bux cus nobody bids on them.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have been looking into getting a photo printer because I never get around to actually picking out enough photos to get printed online to offset the shipping and printing locally is about the same cost as printing at home.

I looked at a few options.

1. A crappy Zinc Printer.

2. A dye sublimation printer

The quality and price of the zinc prints didn't seem worth it. It would be nice to get one for use at certain events to share pics with friends but I figured I would get a decent 4x6 printer first and worry about the BT printer later.

Based on cursory research the canon Selphy line looked good. Most of the models use the same paper/ink so you can find used printers for cheap and they will still take current supplies.

Did some digging on FB/craigslist and found a CP1200 for $50 with 90 sheets of paper/ink. Went on ebay and found a seller that has 5 packs of the 108 sheet ink/paper refills for $58.
The prints are really nice for .11 each, even if I lump the cost of the printer in they are only .17 each. If you don't care about Wifi there seem to be tons of the older models for $10-$20 on craigslist.

And since I have poor impulse control I was still looking at Ivy's and Sprockets online and seeing if I could find a deal on a used one. No super deals on CL/FB/Ebay but I ended up finding a warehouse deal one in red on amazon for $65 because the box is scratched up. And then I noticed Amazon currently has HP sprocket paper for approx half off. I ordered 300 sheets for $67 or .22 per print even factoring in the printer cost it's .43 per print. If anyone is looking for a Zink printer now might be a good time to pickup a used sprocket off craigslist and grab some paper cheap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The tripod thread is completely dead, so are there any typical suggestions for a reasonably priced travel tripod? Not like a gorillapod, I have one of those, but something that's like a normal tripod that's light and compact, even at the expense of maximum height or strength. I'm shooting with a 550D and 70-200 f/4 as the largest lens.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 24, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Manfrotto BeFree folds up small, isn't terrible for the price and uses an Arca compatible head (unlike a lot of Manfrotto gear).

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm very happy with my MeFoto Roadtrip, it's the recommended travel tripod at The Wirecutter

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

my turn in the barrel posted:

I have been looking into getting a photo printer because I never get around to actually picking out enough photos to get printed online to offset the shipping and printing locally is about the same cost as printing at home.

The quality and price of the zinc prints didn't seem worth it. It would be nice to get one for use at certain events to share pics with friends but I figured I would get a decent 4x6 printer first and worry about the BT printer later.

Based on cursory research the canon Selphy line looked good. Most of the models use the same paper/ink so you can find used printers for cheap and they will still take current supplies.

Did some digging on FB/craigslist and found a CP1200 for $50 with 90 sheets of paper/ink. Went on ebay and found a seller that has 5 packs of the 108 sheet ink/paper refills for $58.
The prints are really nice for .11 each, even if I lump the cost of the printer in they are only .17 each. If you don't care about Wifi there seem to be tons of the older models for $10-$20 on craigslist.

And since I have poor impulse control I was still looking at Ivy's and Sprockets online and seeing if I could find a deal on a used one. No super deals on CL/FB/Ebay but I ended up finding a warehouse deal one in red on amazon for $65 because the box is scratched up. And then I noticed Amazon currently has HP sprocket paper for approx half off. I ordered 300 sheets for $67 or .22 per print even factoring in the printer cost it's .43 per print. If anyone is looking for a Zink printer now might be a good time to pickup a used sprocket off craigslist and grab some paper cheap.

I got a Canon Pro 100 and am pretty satisfied with it. They regularly go on rebate for $100 and a bunch of free paper. The ink is $125 per full replacement but there are third party inks that work just fine.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Do you have a cost breakdown per print?

I am set for now with the cp1200 and sprocket but am interested in how the costs compare.

I skipped inkjets when shopping because I have a brother color laser that I do most of my minimal standard printing on. I was afraid the heads would clog and the tanks would dry out with the limited amount of use I would use one for.

You do get the flexibility of larger print sizes with an Inkjet but I rarely print larger than 4x6 and can just get the few large prints I make a year at Costco.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As a matter of fact:

This is with Canon ink and paper. Third party is a quarter of the cost. Ignore shipping, this was back when I still ran a business.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 24, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Helen Highwater posted:

Manfrotto BeFree folds up small, isn't terrible for the price and uses an Arca compatible head (unlike a lot of Manfrotto gear).

curried lamb of God posted:

I'm very happy with my MeFoto Roadtrip, it's the recommended travel tripod at The Wirecutter
Thanks, both of these look pretty good! I'll see what would work out the best based on price and availability.
Does anyone have a 3 Legged Thing (lol... never heard of them before)? I just saw they're supposed to have a new compact one, though I probably wouldn't be getting it due to ABS plastic locks, which sounds like would break immediately. https://www.dpreview.com/news/5773655418/3-legged-thing-launches-the-affordable-patti-tripod

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

3 legged thing reviews pretty well, but that one does look pretty cheap. Lack of twist locks sucks.

I despise tripods with a center pole as well, they cause more problems than they provide solutions.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

So doing research on LTM lenses, I see some people suggesting shimming old FSU lenses for use with newer rangefinders like the Bessa R. Is this a big deal thing that generally needs to be done on most lenses, or more of an edge case? If I will probably need to get it done, should I buy as cheap of a lovely lens as possible, then send it somewhere to get cleaned up and adjusted? Or should I instead just buy a decent one in the first place for a bit more money? Fedka has J8's in decent shape for about 70 bucks, but ones in questionable passable shape are on eBay for like 10-20 bux cus nobody bids on them.

Yeah, no, don't bother. I had a $25 J-8 and it was fine wide open on my R3a.

my turn in the barrel posted:

I had a Dell Wasabi Zink printer years ago and yeah quality was not amazing but OTOH people loved having on-demand Polaroids. It fit easily in the back pocket of jeans.

Personally I'm happy to just pay CVS or a real lab to do actual prints, because I get them a few times a year at most.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I was really excited with my charity shop find today:

Epson P-2000 photo storage device. When it came out, it was £330!

Even better news was that although it was missing a charger, I happened to have the exact esoteric cable that would let me connect it to a USB power source.
Only 40Gb, but a quick google suggested that I could swap this to a much bigger HDD without too much effort.

Much joy was tempered when I discovered that it can handle a max SD card size of 2GB

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

spog posted:

Even better news was that although it was missing a charger, I happened to have the exact esoteric cable that would let me connect it to a USB power source.
Only 40Gb, but a quick google suggested that I could swap this to a much bigger HDD without too much effort.

Much joy was tempered when I discovered that it can handle a max SD card size of 2GB

Haha, oh man, I remember wanting one of those so badly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Getting more experience with my Bessa R, can someone describe how the rangefinder patch should look? I think mine is off slightly vertically, when focusing to infinity it doesn't seem to exactly be overlaid, and as I focus too close the rangefinder patch stops moving. The guy at the camera shop said that the vertical offset is be a use it's not using a Voigtländer lens, but I can't seem to find anything online about that. I've never used a rangefinder before so I dunno what to really expect.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Haha, oh man, I remember wanting one of those so badly.

I've gotta say thatt it is a legit bit of good kit.
Even 13 years old, it holds up well. It must have been amazing when it came out.

If I were shooting more on CF cards, I'd probably be using now.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Getting more experience with my Bessa R, can someone describe how the rangefinder patch should look? I think mine is off slightly vertically, when focusing to infinity it doesn't seem to exactly be overlaid, and as I focus too close the rangefinder patch stops moving. The guy at the camera shop said that the vertical offset is be a use it's not using a Voigtländer lens, but I can't seem to find anything online about that. I've never used a rangefinder before so I dunno what to really expect.

I think I remember the vertical offset on my R3a being a little when I got it, IIRC if you've got some jewler's screwdrivers you can open up the top and adjust it with a screw. I used a bit of Loctite to keep it from coming loose again.

edit: yep, here you go - http://www.arransalerno.com/bessa-rangefinder-calibration/

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

spog posted:

Oh man, I used them on weddings to backup files.

At the time we thought it was amazing. But I do remember them being slow even when they were new

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Oh man, I used them on weddings to backup files.

At the time we thought it was amazing. But I do remember them being slow even when they were new

Kids these days don't know they're born. When I was doing product photography for White Dwarf, we had a Sinar 5x4 with a digital back hooked up to a PowerMac and we had to transfer the files from that thing on Jaz disks. Which are kinda like big floppy disks except a million times more expensive and a million times less reliable. How we laughed when a 40 minute scan and render was just gone because the archive media poo poo itself.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
The good ol' zip disk click of death days.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

Kids these days don't know they're born. When I was doing product photography for White Dwarf, we had a Sinar 5x4 with a digital back hooked up to a PowerMac and we had to transfer the files from that thing on Jaz disks. Which are kinda like big floppy disks except a million times more expensive and a million times less reliable. How we laughed when a 40 minute scan and render was just gone because the archive media poo poo itself.

When I landed on the first wave at Omaha Beach, I had to carry my rolls of film back in my jacket pocket, dodging German bullets and helping carry the wounded.
How I laughed when a lab tech baked them all during processing and destroyed 90% of the negatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Well when I used to work for Mr. Slate at the rock quarry I accidentally left my camera in my lunch box and the bird inside died. Luckily Gazoo brought it back to life though!