Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

I had no idea that was you. I felt bad for the collision and I was so confused on that play. I got the breakaway, didn't realize the time left and ate complete poo poo before I could get a shot off and went crashing into you. I heard a whistle and saw everyone skating to the benches and a ref at center ice. I thought somehow they called a penalty shot but I didn't realize the period was over. I'll blame the confusion on the smoke.

You guys are so fast, I was dead by the 1st period. Anytime the puck came to my stick on the breakout I was thinking "aww gently caress, now I have to skate ... aaaand the gas tank is empty".

Ah well, it was a great game.
That's actually my first time playing for that team. I'm normally on the Div 3 Vipers squad but their regular goalie was out so I got the call. I was amazed at how well they move the puck and played defense and generally worked as a team because the Div 3 team doesn't always do that. Your team was looking good, making me move, and got some good chances.

No worries about the collision. It was better than when my d-men kept pushing your forwards in to me.

You did get a shot off on the breakaway that went off my legpad. Your teammate managed to get the rebound and get a shot off right around the buzzer that somehow missed you and hit my blocker, I think.

That was a good game, seemed a lot closer than the final score, and was more entertaining hockey than a lot of my Div 3 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sometimes I get so frustrated at all the different things you need to be good at in order to be good at hockey. I feel like the honeymoon period of seeing noticeable improvement every time I get out on the ice has gone away. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now you get to obsess over eating habits and gym routines and scrolling through the junk on hockeyshot wondering which gimmick will make you a pro.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Thinking burns calories so yes.

My job is pretty much a ton of thinking so I'm good and fit!

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
One of our main refs at Lakewood passed last week unexpectedly, I know we have a decent socal crowd here so there is a chance you've had him ref or play in one of your games. Thought I'd throw the gofundme that our head ref set up on here in case you knew him and want to help.
https://www.gofundme.com/brian-blumberg-memorial-fund

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

That sucks, where did you guys play last night?

Hey at least we're consistent :shrug:

We were down in Kent - so of course we had my best friend Idiot the Ref™ - I don't think he even called 1 penalty the entire game though so hooray for small miracles (though he did wet-fish me in the post game handshake line hah)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
First time playing in 3 months and we all acted like we played last week. It felt good getting back on the ice.:feelsgood:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Took my kid to the rink today to skate with his best girl friend (they're 12) - wound up skating 2 hours, they had a blast, and I had enough space to work outside edges finally.

Went in to the pro shop after to get some socks, came out with new shins, elbows, and a bag. My wife almost rolled her eyes out of her head.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My 58 year old mother played hockey for the first time last night after years of cajoling from me, my dad, and my wife. She said she had a pretty good time!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

prom candy posted:

My 58 year old mother played hockey for the first time last night after years of cajoling from me, my dad, and my wife. She said she had a pretty good time!

The dream.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Nothing like losing the championship game to make you want to do nothing more than play more hockey. :negative:

Kind of a wet fart of a game overall for our team but we kept it fairly close and lost 4-2. Their first goal was basically entirely on the goalie, and then they capped it with an empty-netter. I had a few decent rushes and thought I played pretty well, especially since I caught a stomach bug late last week and wasn't even sure going in if I'd be able to skate for more than ten seconds without collapsing.

In a couple weeks I'll be entering a brave new world of two games a week. Playing open hockey with my new team on Saturday and I'm kind of nervous - most of them seem to have some kind of experience like "oh I played for a decade when I was younger but then got married/had kids/stopped playing for a while." I very well might be going from one of the better players on the team to one of the worst. But hey, means it should be great for me, really.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Our team finally won the championship this past Sunday, beating the team we'd lost last season's championship game to (on a short-handed OT goal, no less), and with whom we've alternated 1/2 spots in the division for the last several seasons, 7-1. Felt good. The first half of the game was fairly even, but about fifteen minutes into the second period we began taking over the ice. I had several rushes and nice passes in the O-zone that didn't lead to anything significant, but on the defensive end completely shut down their two high end players. Best play: their best guy got a breakaway with about a minute left, and I chased his rear end down and poked the puck off his stick as he went to deke with a perfectly timed, diving stick check from behind. It would have made absolutely no difference at that point in time, but it felt drat good - particularly as he was the fucker who scored the aforementioned short-handed OT winner in our previous championship encounter.

Celebratory photo op - I am :rock: -face in the front row:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

z0331 posted:

Nothing like losing the championship game to make you want to do nothing more than play more hockey. :negative:

Kind of a wet fart of a game overall for our team but we kept it fairly close and lost 4-2. Their first goal was basically entirely on the goalie, and then they capped it with an empty-netter. I had a few decent rushes and thought I played pretty well, especially since I caught a stomach bug late last week and wasn't even sure going in if I'd be able to skate for more than ten seconds without collapsing.

In a couple weeks I'll be entering a brave new world of two games a week. Playing open hockey with my new team on Saturday and I'm kind of nervous - most of them seem to have some kind of experience like "oh I played for a decade when I was younger but then got married/had kids/stopped playing for a while." I very well might be going from one of the better players on the team to one of the worst. But hey, means it should be great for me, really.

You're not in Utah on my team are you? We lost 4-2 in the same fashion, minus the first goal being in our goalie.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

RocktheCaulk posted:

minus the first goal being in our goalie.

...tell me more :allears:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I started hockey for the first time in my life 4 or so years ago. I've progressed to the point where I'm probably three divisions above entry level men's league and tonight I filled in for the division above that where a good portion of the guys on the ice played in high school and a few on college rec/club teams. In lower divisions there were a few guys who could get something behind a slap shot but it generally went way wide of the net or was a head hunter that had some arc to it. Well in tonight's game virtually all of the Dmen I saw could take hard low shots.

Anyway midway through the game I'm charging the point to get in the way of one of their Dman's shots and I go into your prototypical standing blocking stance with my legs together, back of the gloves facing out and everything, and this guy fires a bomb low to the ice that hit's the outside portion of my skate's toe box. That poo poo hurt SO much. It felt like it broke my three outside toes and ripped those toenails off all at the same time. I honestly expected to pull my skate off after the game and just find a pool of blood in there.

In lower divisions a shot to the toe box is fine, and probably preferable to anywhere else on the boot, but holy hell did that poo poo sting. I have no idea how guys get in the way of Ovie one timers or Chara bombs from the point. gently caress that.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 30, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never had a puck in the toe box that didn't feel like searing agony, regardless of the skill of the shooter. It's just a really lovely place to get hit.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

We've been pretty bad for years so the guys are getting excited about potentially winning but I'm nervous about counting our chickens too soon. Our only loss was 2-1 vs the 2nd place team :ohdear:

Welp, we lost our semi-final playoff game. Our goalie had an uncharacteristic rough start and we went down 5-0 in the first. Rallied a bit in the second to make it 5-3 but then our best player kind of melted down and we took a bunch of penalties and lost 6-3. One problem we have had all season is that when we have 13 skaters our captain insists on running out our 3 worst forwards together as a 3rd line and they got even more shelled than normal this time, I think they were out for 4 GA.

At least we lost to a team that I know a bunch of dudes on, hope they can win it all.

Jovial Cow posted:

Anyway midway through the game I'm charging the point to get in the way of one of their Dman's shots and I go into your prototypical standing blocking stance with my legs together, back of the gloves facing out and everything

I went out to face a point shot from a dude with a cannon while PKing down 3 goals in the last minute and just did an exaggerated "cover my balls and cower" thing and he laughed and dumped it into the corner instead, so maybe try that next time.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Jovial Cow posted:

In lower divisions a shot to the toe box is fine, and probably preferable to anywhere else on the boot, but holy hell did that poo poo sting. I have no idea how guys get in the way of Ovie one timers or Chara bombs from the point. gently caress that.

I took a shot square off the front of my toe box three weeks ago and my 2nd toe is still all bruised and painful. It is no joke to get hit there; it's hard, so it helps keep your toes from getting pulped, but that hardness also causes the entire rigid portion to reverberate and exacerbates any damage done.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

I've never had a puck in the toe box that didn't feel like searing agony, regardless of the skill of the shooter. It's just a really lovely place to get hit.

Only thing worse is a shot off the laces or side of the boot, causing a bruise in a place where the skate really digs into the foot and making it hard to even wear them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

Only thing worse is a shot off the laces or side of the boot, causing a bruise in a place where the skate really digs into the foot and making it hard to even wear them.

This is why I'm one of those wimps that wear skate fenders. I just wish they had a model that covered the toes too.

Only taken a couple hits off the feet in the past couple years but if I'm gonna spend a pile of money to put plastic armor everywhere else, might as well have some on my feet too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I took a shot in the toe once, bruised the poo poo out of the nail and I had to grow a new one. Hurt like hell even after I drained the blood out of it.

Also, where should I sell my non-fitting skates? Thinking ebay or that sideline swap site.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife had one of those facebook memories pop up, we went out to buy my first set of hockey pads 7 years ago this week.

I should be way loving better at the game than I am. :smith:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

This is why I'm one of those wimps that wear skate fenders. I just wish they had a model that covered the toes too.

Only taken a couple hits off the feet in the past couple years but if I'm gonna spend a pile of money to put plastic armor everywhere else, might as well have some on my feet too.

One time I took a saucer pass off the laces. Jesus gently caress that poo poo hurt like no tomorrow. I bought a pair of Shot Blockers literally on the way home from the rink.

gently caress they're just amazing. I've taken point blank clappers directly off the laces and front of the tongue and skated off with no impaired ability (and only mild irritation for a minute or two). They're unbelievable and I cannot recommend them enough to everyone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Wife had one of those facebook memories pop up, we went out to buy my first set of hockey pads 7 years ago this week.

I should be way loving better at the game than I am. :smith:

you’ve come a long way, baby

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Acethomas posted:

One of our main refs at Lakewood passed last week unexpectedly, I know we have a decent socal crowd here so there is a chance you've had him ref or play in one of your games. Thought I'd throw the gofundme that our head ref set up on here in case you knew him and want to help.
https://www.gofundme.com/brian-blumberg-memorial-fund

gently caress, this is how I find out.

I grew up playing with him.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

you’ve come a long way, baby

unlike your posting

lol jk

I think I've topped out my skill level potential. I only play 1-1.5 nights a week anymore instead of 3. RIP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ain't gone anywhere. I'm seven years older, fatter, more jaded, and stopped getting better. Everything I could do to get better would require a lot more time at the gym and a lot more ice time.

:effort:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

xzzy posted:

I ain't gone anywhere. I'm seven years older, fatter, more jaded, and stopped getting better. Everything I could do to get better would require a lot more time at the gym and a lot more ice time.

I hear ya on the ice time. There's just not enough hours in the day. And not enough where there's both ice time and me being off work.
I committed to learning to play in 2014.
Did skating lessons then learn to play, etc.
Finally got the cojones to buy my goalie stuff and start that in early 2017.
Took a few goalie specific lessons.
loving stared at my gear for 8 months.
Did a week long camp and got all hyped only to remember I still have issues getting ice time after work.
:(

topenga fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 4, 2018

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

3 breakaways = 0 goals
Whacking a knee-high slapshot out of mid-air with the blade of my stick = 1 goal

This is hockey.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

D C posted:

gently caress, this is how I find out.

I grew up playing with him.

Sorry man, it was a big shock to all of us.
His service is on the 6th (Thursday) if you're in town I can share the details.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

:same:

I've got a good, fairly compact workout for strength and conditioning (and have a basic gym in the garage), so that's doable.

Actually getting on the ice to do stuff... Come watch me look like a baby deer while I do edge work.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

:same:

I've got a good, fairly compact workout for strength and conditioning (and have a basic gym in the garage), so that's doable.

Actually getting on the ice to do stuff... Come watch me look like a baby deer while I do edge work.

This sounds like basically me. I recently - I don't know why I avoided them for so long - discovered the magic of supersets. Now my workout takes 20-25 min instead of 50, incorporates a greater aerobic and anaerobic load, and leaves my muscles feeling more fatigued.

Speaking of workouts, earlier this summer I acquired a 40lb slam ball. It's super, I highly recommend it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yep, supersets are great for all the reasons you said, plus I jam in either a 20 minute run or cycling or something at the end. Feels good.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Acethomas posted:

Sorry man, it was a big shock to all of us.
His service is on the 6th (Thursday) if you're in town I can share the details.

Yeah I saw the stuff on Facebook after I read the GoFundMe, I'm not in town to go to the service unfortunately.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Both my teams start the new seasons soon. Next week I play three games for the first time ever, including one at 11:20pm on Wednesday. :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, new season starts this Sunday for me too. We have a new goalie because our old kickass goalie who tolerated all our bullshit can't play full time anymore, he's got two teenage sons that also play sports and his spousal unit put the kibosh on him playing on two teams.

Our new goalie is a bit new to the position so probably better suited to our level of play but defense is gonna have to step it up.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I lost out on 5 months last season with a hosed up wrist. I came back for the final 2 months of the season but wasn't 100%.

My wrist feels much better now (not 100% but it basically never will be) and gently caress I am jacked for the upcoming season. I've retaped both my sticks, washed all my gear to the point it actually smells good and packed up my hockey bag so it is completely ready to go.

My first game is on Sept 13th.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

I lost out on 5 months last season with a hosed up wrist. I came back for the final 2 months of the season but wasn't 100%.

My wrist feels much better now (not 100% but it basically never will be) and gently caress I am jacked for the upcoming season. I've retaped both my sticks, washed all my gear to the point it actually smells good and packed up my hockey bag so it is completely ready to go.

My first game is on Sept 13th.

You can always tell who is returning from a forced hiatus by the tape job on their stick.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Habibi posted:

You can always tell who is returning from a forced hiatus by the tape job on their stick.

It's so loving crisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

doctor 7 posted:

I ... washed all my gear to the point it actually smells good and packed up my hockey bag so it is completely ready to go

That’s possible?