Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

owl_pellet posted:

At first I was like drat how did I not hear about this it sounds like extremely my poo poo but then I watched the video and saw it was battle royale and I was like oh

YYYYYup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

owl_pellet posted:

At first I was like drat how did I not hear about this it sounds like extremely my poo poo but then I watched the video and saw it was battle royale and I was like oh

Sorry, I was disappointed too. :(

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a battle royale game that doesn't use "realistic" guns so I don't get killed in one shot by someone halfway across the map every time? That might be good.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a battle royale game that doesn't use "realistic" guns so I don't get killed in one shot by someone halfway across the map every time? That might be good.

Realm Royale I guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Have you tried not standing in the open?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Totally Accurate Battleground: The players seems to have a lot of hp to tank bullets. The server is kinda empty on some region though

The Culling: Gun is so rare that most player end up with melee weapon or handcraft bow. It’s been a while since i played it, so the meta might be different now.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Hunt: Showdown looks kinda cool, but is a looser interpretation of battle royale. Guns are not realistic in the military simulation sense, but more in the everything's old so nothing's automatic and only a few shots per reload.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My favorite part of battle royale games is waiting 5 minutes to matchmake and find a game and then dying in the first minute.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you want a BR that is more focused on close combat, then The Culling is probably your best bet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just fukken play EDF

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Croccers posted:

Classic slapstick
(This is one of your starting Heat moves. The trigger for it is someone laying face-down on the ground)
And then you end the battle and they're on their knee panting going "Wow he's so strong!"

occamsnailfile posted:

Wait how do you rush a crematorium in the early game? As it is I've thrown a couple bodies in the river because I just couldn't muster the resources to stick them even halfway decently in the ground, especially after they were all mutilated.
Your "crematorium" is an empty field. Unlock the relevant tech and then just go take 8 Wood Billets to south of the graveyard, across the road. You do need the wood every time you want to burn a corpse, though.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

owl_pellet posted:

:same:

Guess that's the "hot ticket" now though...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Armacham posted:

My favorite part of battle royale games is waiting 5 minutes to matchmake and find a game and then dying in the first minute.

The popularity of this genre is baffling to me for that reason.

What happened to kids being ADD-addled and impatient? I'm an adult and I don't have time for that

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they get around that by letting you jump around like an idiot in the lobby while it finds people

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The Culling only needs like 12 players.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

occamsnailfile posted:

Wait how do you rush a crematorium in the early game? As it is I've thrown a couple bodies in the river because I just couldn't muster the resources to stick them even halfway decently in the ground, especially after they were all mutilated.

MAKE 100% SURE YOU HAVE RESEARCHED THE "IMPORTANT PARTS" ANATOMY TREE BEFORE HITTING FIVE GRAVEYARD QUALITY AND OPENING THE CHURCH.

Remove someone's brain/organs/heart, then talk to the pastor to open the church. Once it does, immediately do the sidequest where the priest asks you to make bowls because the reward is five Blue points. Spend that blue on Papercrafting, then use any skin or bat wings you have to make pigskin paper and then clean paper. Feed the clean paper into the desk to gain some Science, then research the brain you extracted earlier for a TON of blue points. From there, the best thing to do is to buy a ton of low-cost techs, including Cremation and also Ceramic Firing which you'll need to make the urn display. I cremate 90% of the bodies I get sent.

e: if people were interested I could do a full progression advice guide, I restarted my file like 50 days in because I realized I beefed some of my research choices and artificially made the game a lot harder on myself

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 23, 2018

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
So I seem to be really struggling with getting blue points. After researching all the body points, the only thing I’ve found to get blues is books (which are story limited), glass, or researching tombstones. Is there a semi-regular way to get blues? I feel like alchemy ought to drop them, but nothing.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

What happened to kids being ADD-addled and impatient? I'm an adult and I don't have time for that

Because the queue time doesn't feel long at all when you're chatting/loving around with your friends. When you're queuing up by yourself just staring at a screen, that 5 minutes is agonizingly long.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

StrixNebulosa posted:

The thing about Graveyard Keeper, is that I wish it hadn't been advertised as a Stardew-alike, because it's nothing like Stardew. You spend more time doing X to get Y so you can do Z. Most of your early production is chopping trees and mining rocks and turning those into things. Once you get the church open you preach once a week so you can unlock more tech. It's... very soothing, but the tone is dreamlike/horrible, and farming is literally just slapping some seeds into a plot and harvesting them a few days later when their timer is finished.

It's strange and wonderful and you probably won't like it if you want Stardew.
Yeah, I think it's visually like Stardew, but it plays nothing like it. If I had to define it in any way it would be an active idle game, where your progress through it is very slow overall but it's not a case of spinning up plates and waiting for anything - there's always something to plug away at.

I find it very meditative because it's just wandering around doing whatever the gently caress you feel like but sometimes looking at the day to get a particular thing done. Stardew I always had a goal and it needed to be accomplished as soon as possible racing against the day - GK I keep putting my goals on hold because I want to grind out some more blue xp making gravestones or just not fish because gently caress fishing.

atholbrose posted:

The right-hand side of the graveyard is full for me, the left-hand locked, and my current goal is a 200-quality graveyard. I'm going to enter a exhume-cremate-bury cycle pretty soon, I guess, as well as a hell of a lot of stoneworking.
The Inquisitor can authorise you to use the left-hand side.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dalaram posted:

So I seem to be really struggling with getting blue points. After researching all the body points, the only thing I’ve found to get blues is books (which are story limited), glass, or researching tombstones. Is there a semi-regular way to get blues? I feel like alchemy ought to drop them, but nothing.

Making glass in the furnace gives you 2 blue points but that sucks.

Stories aren't limited by plot progression, though. Look in the bookwriting section for Inventing Stories, it lets you create stories from Pen/Ink, Clean Paper, and Faith. Alternatively, do the quest for the poet in the Tavern and after that he'll give you a story in exchange for a bottle of wine. Bookmaking is going to be your most reliable source of Blue. Alternatively, you could skip the story process entirely and buy Notes from the Astrologer, but this requires a stable income. When you make wine, it comes in batches of TWENTY which is way more efficient than the 5/6 faith you get a week, so trading wine for stories might be a good deal for you. Wine is honestly one of the single most important pieces of tech in the whole game though so get winemaking ASAP regardless.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Phlegmish posted:

The genre is actually very well designed in that sense, albeit entirely by accident. In a regular MP game the odds of coming in last as an unskilled player are relatively high, but you're stuck there for the duration even as your KDR rises higher and higher. In PUBG or whatever, the sheer number of players means that sometimes you will do better, plus once you die it's immediately back to a clean slate with even odds for everyone. There's never a situation where you're stuck in a hopeless losing position and going from 75th place to 70th place feels like progress even though it's basically within the standard deviation and means nothing.

It's perfect for add people

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

The popularity means that if you're playing PUBG and Fortnite you press play and you're pretty much joining a game about to start immediately. You don't sit and wait in lobbies for anything like 5 minutes, it's like 1 at the most. So even if you die ten minutes you, you hit play and you're right back into a new game with 99 other assholes.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Making glass in the furnace gives you 2 blue points but that sucks.

Stories aren't limited by plot progression, though. Look in the bookwriting section for Inventing Stories, it lets you create stories from Pen/Ink, Clean Paper, and Faith. Alternatively, do the quest for the poet in the Tavern and after that he'll give you a story in exchange for a bottle of wine. Bookmaking is going to be your most reliable source of Blue. Alternatively, you could skip the story process entirely and buy Notes from the Astrologer, but this requires a stable income. When you make wine, it comes in batches of TWENTY which is way more efficient than the 5/6 faith you get a week, so trading wine for stories might be a good deal for you. Wine is honestly one of the single most important pieces of tech in the whole game though so get winemaking ASAP regardless.

Thanks. I forgot about that poet, and his deal. I finally figured out fertilizer (gently caress blind alchemy, straight to the wiki), so I can get silver grapes now, which ought to help me get square.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

MAKE 100% SURE YOU HAVE RESEARCHED THE "IMPORTANT PARTS" ANATOMY TREE BEFORE HITTING FIVE GRAVEYARD QUALITY AND OPENING THE CHURCH.

Remove someone's brain/organs/heart, then talk to the pastor to open the church. Once it does, immediately do the sidequest where the priest asks you to make bowls because the reward is five Blue points. Spend that blue on Papercrafting, then use any skin or bat wings you have to make pigskin paper and then clean paper. Feed the clean paper into the desk to gain some Science, then research the brain you extracted earlier for a TON of blue points. From there, the best thing to do is to buy a ton of low-cost techs, including Cremation and also Ceramic Firing which you'll need to make the urn display. I cremate 90% of the bodies I get sent.

e: if people were interested I could do a full progression advice guide, I restarted my file like 50 days in because I realized I beefed some of my research choices and artificially made the game a lot harder on myself

Please do!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dalaram posted:

Thanks. I forgot about that poet, and his deal. I finally figured out fertilizer (gently caress blind alchemy, straight to the wiki), so I can get silver grapes now, which ought to help me get square.

Yeah honestly like 1/3 of my playtime is being glued to the wiki. Like, for example, the Inquisitor gives you silver grape seeds as part of a quest so you can totally duck the fertilizer requirement early on, which I also fell into the fertilizer trap before I realized you don't have a reliable way to make the fertilizer that lowers growing time until you also have access to the Mill so you can get hops seeds

Okay give me a bit, this legit might take an hour or so

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So Graveyard Keeper is worth $20 or should I wait for a sale? Metacritic/other reviews seem to be on the fence, saying that replayability isn't that great.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Maybe we need a Graveyard Keeper thread

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Yeah, do.

Some of the tech in this game is annoying, because you can unlock it without having the requisite hardware to build it. Like being able to unlock nice pews, but needing the carpenter bench. I feel like some cross-tech tree dotted lines would be useful for figuring out what to get next.

Other grievance is not being able to queue up multiple crafts of rarity based items, like roasted pumpkin. I’m sure he’ll fix that soon, but I way prefer shoving a stack of pumpkin in the oven in the morning, and coming home at night to tons of food sitting on my floor.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Croccers posted:

Majima has never killed anyone, they make this very clear, it is a rather large piece of the plot and his character arch.

Without, like, major spoilers, how accurate is the scene in Miike's (loose) adaptation of the first game where Majima and his henchmen spray machine gun fire at Kiryu for like five straight minutes? I haven't played the rest of the series, and haven't seen that full movie but... it kinda seems like Majima maybe wanted to kill somebody.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Opening the cottage door and immediately tanking the frame rate as innumerable carrot cutlets flow out of the oven happens to me already

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

COOL CORN posted:

So Graveyard Keeper is worth $20 or should I wait for a sale? Metacritic/other reviews seem to be on the fence, saying that replayability isn't that great.

It's going to be a game where you plug away at it for hours and hours and HOURS because there's so dang much to do.

Here is my review of Graveyard Keeper:

quote:

A random man hurries home, so madly in love with his wife that he's looking at a picture of her on his phone as he crosses the street. Naturally, he gets run over, and the next he knows, he wakes up in a little cabin. He's told that he's the new Graveyard Keeper, and that he has a job to do. An unreliable flying skull is the tutorial, telling him how to autopsy bodies, how to bury them, and that for any further guidance, bring it beer.

Narratively, this game see-saws between a brilliant nightmarish premise, and lackluster dialogue. There's no flesh on the bones, so to speak: you get only scraps of dialogue out of the skull, even after you bring it beer and fulfill its other demands - and it's similar with every other character. The bishop wants you to bring him quality fish fillets, because he's a glutton. The merchant has hiccups, bring him a cure. Almost no one in the game has any depth, and... that's fine, actually. It makes the dreamlike atmosphere stand out: your character is told he's the graveyard keeper, and that's that. He can bring up the fact that he's from another world to other characters - but they'll dismiss it. To everyone in the village, there wasn't a graveyard keeper, and now there is one. Where did he come from? It doesn't matter. He's here, and he'll do chores for everyone.

So: your main character gets on with his dream, quickly getting over his squeamishness about cutting open bodies. He spends his days chopping wood, making tools and armor and assorted items, following the strange six-day week, and running endless chores as he struggles to befriend the people who might know how to get him home.

This game is not Stardew Valley. Where Stardew is an idyllic retreat from reality, both in the game's story and in its mechanics, Graveyard Keeper is a dreamlike nightmare, where you work, plodding from task to task and figuring out that to build this bridge, you need this many planks.

Yet - yet. Because of its dreamlike qualities, I find it even more relaxing and fulfilling than Stardew. There is no time-limit, no passage of time. Those six days will cycle endlessly, and the bishop will wait forever for his fish to come. There is only your man, the list of tasks, and the technology tree. You aren't even beholden to sleeping during the night and waking up in the morning: the only constraint on your ability to work is your energy bar.

Your energy bar drains when you do things, and refills when you eat or sleep. Sleeping, unlike in Stardew, is free. You can do it at any time, you can stop even if your energy bar is only half-way filled, and regardless of how much you slept, your game gets saved. It's freeing.

The work in this game, meanwhile - it's production chain after production chain, feeding back into the technology tree. Every time you do anything that drains energy, you get red, green, or blue experience points. You can use these to unlock more items in the expansive tree, and these items range from the classic "make more items" to "can extract brains from corpses" to "can write a new sermon."

Because oh, oh boy is there a lot of work ahead of you: there is a farm. You can buy seeds and grow things. (They do not need watering!) There is the graveyard, where you dig plots and bury corpses. There is the morgue, where you autopsy the body and extract organs, and decide if you'll bury the corpse, burn it, or throw it in the river. There is the church, where you become the local preacher, which means you should show up every prayer day to preach - which indirectly is the best source of blue experience points in the beginning of the game. There is fishing. There is a town where you can go to sell your crops or wooden creations or other items. There is a swamp to explore. There is even a dungeon, I'm told, but unlocking it is behind a sidequest I haven't done yet.

This game has its pacing down to a strange art: there's so, so much to do at first that it's overwhelming, and then it slows down as the technology tree requires you to become a good preacher so you can gain blue exp. It unlocks things at a bizarre pace, too - it took me six hours of in-game time to unlock the fishing pole, because the man who gives you a pole is on the opposite end of the map, and he wants you to find moths, which you can only obtain if you unlock the ability to find them in the tech tree...and then you need to find out where they actually are.

Another way in which its pacing is strange is that the walking speed of the character is deliberately... not slow, but it's not fast. You walk everywhere, you cannot run. And the map is huge. It will take you half a day to get from your cabin to the opposite end. Getting to the town feels like a day trip, and your inventory space is limited, so plan your trip accordingly. Without striving for realism, the game has nailed the feeling of what it would be like to live as a graveyard keeper: you live outside the town, you're isolated, and travel without cars or horses is slow.

The isolation mounts, as there are no superfluous characters: everyone you talk to either has quests for you to do, or items to trade. No one will talk to you for the sake of talking - you can try, but for example the farmer's son will only tell you that he has chores to do. There is no one in this game you can truly befriend without buying them: the skull needs beer, etc. Even the friendly corpse-bringing donkey will demand help, or else he'll stop bringing you corpses, and they're your precious source of organs!

...So. I like this game. I like how it's bizarre and dreamlike and vicious. The work has a tedium to it, but in a way that has purpose, and reinforces its atmosphere. It definitely won't be for everyone, and honestly? If I had to compare it to a game, I'd compare it to Factorio - another game where you're not playing to escape reality, but to feel satisfied about what you've created. And like Factorio, you work until you can look back at what you've done and feel satisfied: the graveyard is tidied up and has flowers in it, you have made yourself a delicious meal of fish fillet, and you're ready for the donkey to return, carrying more corpses.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

COOL CORN posted:

I got a 25% for this game in my steam client inventory, so I brought it for $15, which is about right for me.

This game unlock features slowly and not just through money like Stardew. It's not really design for replayability.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

graveyard keeper: I told the inquisitor to gently caress off, is it possible for me to keep him hosed off or am I eventually going to have to interact with him to unlock stuff

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dmboogie posted:

graveyard keeper: I told the inquisitor to gently caress off, is it possible for me to keep him hosed off or am I eventually going to have to interact with him to unlock stuff

Here is the wiki that says what the Inquisitor wants from you and what he can do.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

dmboogie posted:

You have to do his quest to unlock stuff.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Knorth posted:

Opening the cottage door and immediately tanking the frame rate as innumerable carrot cutlets flow out of the oven happens to me already

Sorry man, carrrots are for trading the donkey for dead bodies.

I know some people were bitching about every day being identical, but that’s kind of chill for me. I’m not worried about optimizing my planting’s, so I can get 8 vs 9 harvests in before winter. I’m not worried about having to see some dude because it’s his birthday, so I can get double love bonus. Every day I wake up (except on sermon day), I feel like I can do whatever I want. All my crops grown up, but I’m out of coal? gently caress it, they’ll be there tomorrow. Midnight, and I’ve got half a bar of stamina left? Go harvest some honey, or slice some bacon off that corpse, before he rots.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The game day and energy is also like 5x shorter than Stardew, so it would fool you into a false sense of urgency. There is no urgency.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nyaa posted:

You have to do his quest to unlock stuff.

rip, ty

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

Without, like, major spoilers, how accurate is the scene in Miike's (loose) adaptation of the first game where Majima and his henchmen spray machine gun fire at Kiryu for like five straight minutes? I haven't played the rest of the series, and haven't seen that full movie but... it kinda seems like Majima maybe wanted to kill somebody.
Original Yakuza 1 Majima was a straight up unhinged psycho that beat one his own goons to death for laughing at him getting beaned by a pitching machine for example, so yeah its accurate to original Majima. It's not a big coincidence he was voiced by Mark Hamill in the English dub. As the series went on they retconned him into more of a slightly unhinged anti-hero which is shown in 0 and the Kiwamis.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nyaa posted:

Maybe we need a Graveyard Keeper thread

I'm working on it.