Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Without, like, major spoilers, how accurate is the scene in Miike's (loose) adaptation of the first game where Majima and his henchmen spray machine gun fire at Kiryu for like five straight minutes? I haven't played the rest of the series, and haven't seen that full movie but... it kinda seems like Majima maybe wanted to kill somebody.

The guns are not very faithful but in the original PS2 game Majima was very much a villain. He wasn't really out to stop Kiryu in the first game but he was obsessed with fighting him. It was presented as a dangerous obsession (one that would get other people hurt or killed) rather than some kind of friendly rivalry. He also wasn't around that much in the first game so when he did show up you knew something bad was about to happen.

Edit: The later games played up the insanity into something wacky so 0 and the new Kiwami games are in the (not really that) awkward position of still needing Majima to occasionally be a really bad guy but also to include the kind stuff that games later in the series timeline developed.

Spoiler for the first Kiwami game but "Majima Everywhere" is a mechanic that wasn't in the original game where you get ambushed by Majima in absurd situations and train one of your fighting trees. One of these involves Majima cross dressing in a hostess club. Later on you meet Majima in the batting cages after he kidnapped Haruka, he beats one of his own henchmen to death just before the fight for some insane reason.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love that goons are so bad at thinking about the possibility that other people might like other things that every time battle royale games are brought up it's like a page of "Why does anyone like this poo poo?" God only knows.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a battle royale game that doesn't use "realistic" guns so I don't get killed in one shot by someone halfway across the map every time? That might be good.

Kind of!

Granted it will probably have some other kind of bullshit instead. Also the fact that's not called King of the Krill is so impossibly offensive.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dalaram posted:

Sorry man, carrrots are for trading the donkey for dead bodies.

I know some people were bitching about every day being identical, but that’s kind of chill for me. I’m not worried about optimizing my planting’s, so I can get 8 vs 9 harvests in before winter. I’m not worried about having to see some dude because it’s his birthday, so I can get double love bonus. Every day I wake up (except on sermon day), I feel like I can do whatever I want. All my crops grown up, but I’m out of coal? gently caress it, they’ll be there tomorrow. Midnight, and I’ve got half a bar of stamina left? Go harvest some honey, or slice some bacon off that corpse, before he rots.

This was before the donkey stuff, while I was mainly just foraging around and exploring

also :agreed: with the rest of the post. I generally try to keep regular hours but I really enjoy the feeling of getting wrapped up in a project after looking over the tech tree and basically just paring down other responsibilities until I'm just sleeping and working on it all through the night. It's not unique to Graveyard Keeper but the day cycle/sleeping being so relaxed it really allows you to set your own schedule and change it on a whim.

I hope it does well enough that they're able to support the game in the future. The interconnected crafting/tech foundation they have is really good imo, I'd love to see if they wanted to flesh out more of the social side of the game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
To take the broadest most accessible anime metaphor possible, Majima is like Vegeta

Originally he was a crazy killer who posed a dangerous threat but he turns into a rival over time and they just sort of stop mentioning that time he murdered their friends. And the writers realize that they can get comedy from making this over the top cartoon villain do normal incongruous things like file taxes or run a business

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Knorth posted:

I hope it does well enough that they're able to support the game in the future. The interconnected crafting/tech foundation they have is really good imo, I'd love to see if they wanted to flesh out more of the social side of the game

Yes. Yes. It seems to be selling well, so that's hopeful - and I've done my two bits and written them a positive review. It feels a lot like a game that's very much its own beast and unfortunately the general public hasn't figured that out.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So the most important thing to know about Graveyard Keeper is that a lot of content is locked behind completing the NPC quests, and that almost every NPC quest is connected. For example, to get access to the dungeon, you need to be friends with Snake, but for that you need to learn about him from Ms Charm. Talking to Ms Charm requires five Faith, which you get from the Chapel, which doesn't open until you finish the Priest's quest of improving the graveyard. Once you get access to the chapel, you get access to the basement which is also required to complete one of the Astrologer's quest in which you research a key, and giving that key to Snake unlocks the dungeon. It's All Connected. So basically, at any point if you find yourself wondering what to do next, look at the quests you have and start trying to complete them.

One mean trick the game will play on you is that at the beginning, the Donkey brings an unlimited supply of corpses to you for free for the purposes of finishing the "Make the Graveyard Nice" quest. However, once you finish this quest, the Donkey will demand ten carrots per corpse. I would recommend you research Hardspares, Softspares, and Important Parts before finishing this quest and having one of each. Later on, you'll unlock the ability to Study items, and most of these parts give you blue points. Getting the point boosts from these items is huge and will rocket you forward in terms of game progress.

However, don't go too crazy with burying bodies. Harvesting every single part from a body will cause the quality to disappear, and each corpse will only improve the quality of your graveyard by the number of white skulls displayed on the autopsy screen, but it's not uncommon to have zero white skulls after a full autopsy. That's where cremation comes in, which allows you to burn corpses and totally bypass the quality loss. This allows you to use every part of the buffalo, then burn the corpse and put the remains into a ceremonial urn. Combine 12 of these urns for a mausoleum which gives 12 quality. Way way way later in the game, you'll get the ability to embalm corpses to freely manipulate the number of white/red skulls on a corpse so you can minmax your graveyard quality.

By now you should have tons of Red/Green research points to spend. Make a beeline for tools, because making the next tier of tools make the associated actions twice as efficient. Also take Advanced Forging, you'll need Complex Parts to make tons of early-mid tier buildings. In the Building tree, rush Mining. Firewood and Stoneworking are next. Woodworking and the Circular saw are a little but off but will give you access to some great shortcuts. Namely, as soon as is reasonable, go to your home basement and remove the barrier there. It will give you access to a grate you can't open yet, but also if you walk to the right there's a shortcut to the Village that cuts your travel time by half. The other very very important thing to do as soon as possible is to fix the landslide that is on the hill to the north of your home. This area will give you access to the Quarry, which is an unlimited source of iron, stone, and marble. There's also a bed at the quarry, and a place to build tools, so you can do all your work right on-site and not need to travel back and forth. The last thing up in the quarry is Coal, which is the most efficient fuel source.

In the Farming tree, Improvement and Decay are mandatory. Transplanting, Grape Farming, and Wine Making are the next most important things on the list. It's a good idea to start growing carrots as soon as is reasonable so you can get more corpses. All sorts of seeds are sold by the Farmer, who is found by going south in the middle of the wheat field. In theology, the only important one early on is Cremation. Almost everything else involves improving the Chapel, but for that we need to open it.

Once you open the Chapel by getting five skulls on your Graveyard meter, you can hold weekly mass to gain donations, which is a nice bonus to you cash. The amount of money you get is determined by the quality of your graveyard, so if you don't mind not getting those sweet sweet organs, you can bury high-quality corpses early on. If this is your goal, build more pews, because more seats equals more people. However, the game will pull a second mean trick by telling you the way to upgrade the church with a Building Permit, which costs 20 silver. After buying it, the Pastor tells you you cant deliver any more sermons until you are a Rightful Citizen, and becoming one costs one gold. 1 gold piece is 100 silver pieces. I currently have 70 silver pieces on day 200.

So, how are you going to get that cash? Wine. The process is this: four grape seeds are needed for a single grape vine, which yields five grapes. Ten grapes equals one bucket of grape juice, and two buckets of grape juice equal a batch of wine, which contains TWENTY bottles of wine, which you can sell to the tavernkeep for 23~ silver. To get access to the Vineyard, you need to finish the first quest from the Inquisitor, which requires Flyers, and therefor Paper.

Paper requires access to the Chapel by completing the very first Graveyard quest from the Pastor. After that, he will give you a second quest, and your reward is your first bit of Blue research points. Blue research points are going to be your bottleneck for the whole game, so it's important to spend them wisely, because it's hard to get ahold of them. However, if you did what I mentioned earlier, you should have a lot to pass around. Your first stop on the tech tree should be Inventing Stories, Writing, Papercrafting, and Writing Supplies. Not only does this allow you to finish the Inquisitor quest, but is going to be the cycle you need to follow for more tech points. You can't Study paper at the table - instead, you feed it to the table to get more science points to perform research with. With this, you now have an unlimited supply of Science and Faith points to get the blue points from any items you have. On top of that, the process of actually making books is a good source of Blue in and of itself.

The last thing I have is the most effective ways to get tech points. Studying items is always going to be the best answer, but it can be resource intensive. So, it's nice to have some cheaper options. Once you unlock Clay, digging up clay can be done for as long as you have stamina, and gives one Green point each time. I'll sometimes do this for quick points and then just destroy the clay in my inventory if I don't need any. For red, chopping down trees and converting them into Flitch, then manually converting the Flitch into Wooden Planks is a solid number of points while also getting you useful resources you can use later. For Blue, just do what I mentioned above. Bookmaking and resource are realistically your only choices.

From here, this is basically all The Good Stuff I can think of. You should be able to figure your way through things from there, just research things as you need them to complete quests or when tech trees tie together. I'd recommend having the wiki open so you can see what you're about to unlock before actually doing it. For example, in order to build an Alchemy Table 2, required to make alchemy items that use three ingredients, you need to have access to Jointing, so if you haven't gotten that far in the carpentry tech tree you just wasted your points.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nyaa posted:

Maybe we need a Graveyard Keeper thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866759

Thread is up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's 10 carrots to meet his initial demands, but every corpse after that is 5 carrots.

Also, Rightful Citizen is only 20 silver and you don't need the Inquisitor's permission to get access to the vineyard - you can just go there yourself and start fixing it up. All he does is put down a blueprint table so you can build the trellises that already exist there.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 24, 2018

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Good, we were getting buried in posts.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Thanks for making the thread. You guys have sold me on the game, but I'm waiting a few weeks until the daily patches fix most of the issues.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Morter posted:

:catstare:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morter posted:

so anyway back to Yakuza 0

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Burnout Paradise is a great game especially in co-op. :rice:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yakuza 0 feels like a Shantae situation where oops our villain character is actually more fun to play as than our protagonist half the time.

Give me more games with playable Majima and Risky I guess is my point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's not a villain he just loves having a good time and helping his ladies dress up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I really hope we get a PC port of Yakuza 5 because that game is just a masterpiece

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I really hope we get a PC port of Yakuza 5 because that game is just a masterpiece

This but all of the Yakuza games.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Light Gun Man posted:

Yakuza 0 feels like a Shantae situation where oops our villain character is actually more fun to play as than our protagonist half the time.

I heard they added playable Majima with his own, new storyline in Kiwami 2, so you're definitely not alone.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hot take, majima's combat in 0 is a clunky mess compared to kiryu

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Excuse me, breaker style is incredible for utterly demolishing hordes and the bat style will keep bosses stunlocked as you clown on them. Compared to him, Kiryu's fights take forever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

No way, all I've ever had to do as Kiryu is go into Beast and either mash X or charge Y depending on weapon availability

Plus Beast has the best general combat music dont at me

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Counterpoint: Ya-hoo! :slick:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

frogwares put out a gameplay demo of Sinking City and i still don't understand what this game is supposed to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXILlPM-Q0

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Light Gun Man posted:

Villain or no, I like playing as Cabaret Joker on Quaaludes so I'm cool with the Majima retcon.

Also thanks for all the Majima info, other goons. I'm totally new to the series so I'm intrigued by who these characters are and what they become.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

frogwares put out a gameplay demo of Sinking City and i still don't understand what this game is supposed to be

Lovecraft-inspired open world investigation game.

I think it looks pretty neat, if they get the spookiness and the disorientating visions to work in the world as well as in the trailers it could be really fun for something as tired as Lovecraft

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah like, it seems like horror except there's not much spookiness going on and the main guy seems so matter of fact, like he's fighting monsters and researching a ritual killer and he's like ho hum, whatever, i'm a cop

he's like horror cole phelps

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah like, it seems like horror except there's not much spookiness going on and the main guy seems so matter of fact, like he's fighting monsters and researching a ritual killer and he's like ho hum, whatever, i'm a cop

so it's like sherlock vs the awakened

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

... I want this game immediately, I loved cole phelps in LA Noire

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I've never played it but yeah my mind went to that LA Noire game too. It's definitely not the most interesting gameplay segment to show off but I remember hearing some pretty promising things from someone (I think Austin Walker) who played it/saw a demo at ...some convention? Possibly back at E3?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

It is by the Sherlock games people I think

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

It is literally by Frogwares

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I'll admit I had a harder time really getting into the flow of him compared to kiryu, but eventually I just settled for wailing on people with the baseball bat and it was pretty easy.

His fourth stance is a stunlocking OP joke so if you ever feel like not being challenged in the Majima sections, make sure you unlock that

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Using your special Concentration Mode™ to discover a door that you can shoot the lock off seems positively antithetical to the game design refusing to put objectives on your compass for you.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So.. Guacamelee 2. It's honestly not very good. This is like the month of mediocre and middling metroidvanias: Chasm, Deaths Gambit, and now Guacamelee 2. And I don't even think its necessary because the bar has been set to high by the likes of Hollow Knight, but this game is really just not very good. The first game was demanding, responsive, and tight. This feels like a mess because the combat is just mash X/powers, and absolutely no loving challenge at all (and there's no difficulty setting). Like I never even lost a single fight even dicking around and barely even get hit because it's so trivial and enemies don't do much, and if trhey do they do no damage. So the combat is totally trash, and sometimes feels unresponsive but not that it matters.

Then there's the story/meat to the world which feels very souless and meandering, there's some cute conversations and references but it's all kind of messy and.. disconnected? feeling. I can't quite describe it but the world and story in this is absolutely not grabbing me at all and feels quite meh. So that's not a good sign.

And platforming is somewhat even more obnoxious as before with still downside of not being that responsive and sometimes get locked into using your power to move and it goes in the wrong direction which is frustrating. It has the very demanding thing of "ok jump, use uppercut to further boost, quickly swap to death world and now hang on the wall, jump off and 50 milliseconds later make sure to hit swap back to life world to make another wall appear, and do it again, and now do this and switch to chicken real fast", so maybe I'm just getting feeble but it's a constant mess of pressing 6 different buttons on your controller in rapid and split-second succession. That said, there's a lot of very clever things and just breezing through the world absolutely nailing that jump-realmswap-jump-dash feels pretty good but then you get stuck into an absolutely frustrating uber-platforming sidearea and it loving sucks. And with limited travel options, you can get sometimes stuck with no way out except to complete that platforming.

Overall, I'd say try it out, but it's a much disappointment compared to Guac 1 (which had a lot of flaws too) and I don't think I'd recommend it for the price. On sale for $5-10? Yeah sure but not $20.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Wow, almost sounds like a Hotline Miami 2 scenario.
Sad to hear that though. If anyone else grabbed the game, post your impressions as well - curious to see if Xaris's issues are common to everyone.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm roughly four hours into the game, and I feel basically the same as Xaris. It's not bad, but it feels like a lot of ideas that were dropped from Guac 1 remade into their own game. There's a lot to like about it - the item collection animations are fantastic and feel good every time, the additions to the chicken combat are fun to use, some of the jokes are good - but the combat system feels exactly like the first game's, 90% of the moves you get are just the same moves from the first game, and the pacing is worse than the first game.

It's kind of heartbreaking, because I loved the first game for the atmosphere and art style and music and gameplay, and this game just doesn't really improve upon or iterate on it in any meaningful way. Unless it's super late game, I think they also got rid of intenso mode, which sucks. I'm still going to finish it, and I'd recommend it if it were ten dollars cheaper - as I said, it's not bad - it just feels like a retread.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dog murder is not okay :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It is literally by Frogwares
yeah, that's why i said it. I wonder if that's why they got the license in the first place

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah, that's why i said it. I wonder if that's why they got the license in the first place
Lovecraft is public domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Accordion Man posted:

Lovecraft is public domain.

Just wait until Disney's next day in court...