Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Eat the rich.

gently caress this is going to soon be all entry level capital one bullshit cards teens need to build credit isn't it?

I think you mean this is going to soon be how everyone everywhere will get paid because the card company will kickback to the employers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
My credit is literally too terrible to open a bank account so guess what I get to use lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

g0lbez posted:

My credit is literally too terrible to open a bank account so guess what I get to use lol

It's pretty impressive to be too big a risk to give a checking account to

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

A friend of mine with cancer just got a letter stating that his chemo medicine is no longer covered because it isn't considered essential treatment. (It's probably costing the insurance company too much money and they'd rather he dies than continue to cover it.)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

frogge posted:

A friend of mine with cancer just got a letter stating that his chemo medicine is no longer covered because it isn't considered essential treatment. (It's probably costing the insurance company too much money and they'd rather he dies than continue to cover it.)

Just out of curiosity, how come there aren't any shootings over stuff like this?

Is insurance ceo security too good or something?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Just out of curiosity, how come there aren't any shootings over stuff like this?

Is insurance ceo security too good or something?

It's hard to go on a shooting spree while your body is weak and dying from cancer

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I think you mean this is going to soon be how everyone everywhere will get paid because the card company will kickback to the employers

I worked at a Domino's where they instituted these types of prepaid cards instead of paychecks and then you could make 1 withdrawal for free within like a few days or something and basically if you didn't move your pay to your checking account or withdraw it all from an ATM immediately upon getting it you get hosed on with fees

Also they didnt have my name on it and I forgot it in the nearby bank atm one time and the fuckface manager decided to cut it up instead of giving it to me bc I had no way of proving it was actually mine even though presumably their camera would have seen me at the atm 15 minutes ago and then they found a card there and then I came in and said hey did ya'll find a card in the atm?

So then you get charged a fee for the replacement of course.

And I already hear the "well so? Just make your free withdrawal and don't be a gently caress up" but guess what shitbirds sometimes humans err and it's whack that some companies are just waiting to turn the screws when you do.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
That's literally wage theft.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

It's pretty impressive to be too big a risk to give a checking account to

Nah all it takes is one time you overdrew and were broke as gently caress as the fees ran up to the max day by day (usually around -$500 or so) and then they kicked you off to collections

Something like that specifically would be a red flag for new accounts even if you were otherwise fine.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Solar Coaster posted:

It's hard to go on a shooting spree while your body is weak and dying from cancer

I was thinking more along the lines of a loved one being treated that way.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

but what about in East Germany?

If this shocks you, don't look up Shiro Ishii or Unit 731.

Austria is currently ruled by a party established by a former minister in Adolf Hitler's government. There were tons of former nazis in West German intelligence. Only a tiny fraction of Einsatzgruppen members saw justice after the war despite being captured. Operation Gladio. "Never again."

At least RAF got one of those motherfuckers. Then Horst Mahler became a nazi himself and went to prison again. lol

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

ate all the Oreos posted:

I had to look it up to confirm it was real and apparently it is:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/world/biodegradable-bullets-us-army/index.html

I'm sure animals will love eating the plants growing on the firing range

I could understand people saying the plastic bag stuff I linked was just feel good bs designed to counteract the damage done by corporate waste, but the first lines of this article are "The traditional function of bullets is killing, but a new design could have the opposite effect."

The bullets will still loving kill people you idiots!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/Choplogik/status/1032739698274230272

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

If this shocks you, don't look up Shiro Ishii or Unit 731.

gently caress. I should have taken your advice.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

TheMostFrench posted:

I could understand people saying the plastic bag stuff I linked was just feel good bs designed to counteract the damage done by corporate waste, but the first lines of this article are "The traditional function of bullets is killing, but a new design could have the opposite effect."

The bullets will still loving kill people you idiots!

The article said it was for training rounds.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Support are troops with golf.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zzulu posted:

Is there any food in America that isn't just a derivative of European food, that is good?

Like, if I travel to the east or west coasts, what food should I sample? WHat are some must haves?

Since you already have fried chicken, barbecue (which is whole pig with vinegar-based sauce eastern NC style and anyone who tells you otherwise should be beheaded for not knowing poo poo about poo poo), biscuits, and proper cornbread should be next on the list.

Sure you'll die earlier, but just think of the big greasy smile on your corpse.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

anonumos posted:

The article said it was for training rounds.

Training rounds need to mimic the ballistic characteristics of the real rounds, so while they might be made of seeds and poo poo they still need to be shaped like bullets, weigh at least close to the same as the regular ones do, and shoot through the air at thousands of feet per second

Pretty sure I still don’t want to get shot with one

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Some new diamond advertising I saw on the back of a magazine at work:

I went to the website, they are trying super hard to find SOME reason to make young people care about diamonds at all, specifically that lab-grown gems are poo poo and your love isn't real if you even think of buying that trash.

I mean I know the diamond industry has always pushed real hard for people to buy their overpriced, earth-destroying, war-causing, child-killing product for no good reason, but since millennials are killing the diamond industry now they have to try even harder

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I went to the website, they are trying super hard to find SOME reason to make young people care about diamonds at all, specifically that lab-grown gems are poo poo and your love isn't real if you even think of buying that trash.

I mean I know the diamond industry has always pushed real hard for people to buy their overpriced, earth-destroying, war-causing, child-killing product for no good reason, but since millennials are killing the diamond industry now they have to try even harder

lol "we have redefined the concept of a diamond, if it's grown in a lab it is not a diamond". what a pair of balls.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rutibex posted:

lol "we have redefined the concept of a diamond, if it's grown in a lab it is not a diamond". what a pair of balls.

their goal was to help consumers avoid confusion between expensive diamonds and identical, but less expensive diamonds

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Our carbon crystals are better than other functionally identical carbon crystals.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If price is your main problem with natural diamonds, you are a failure of a human

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DorkusMalorkus posted:

That's utter horseshit. Natural diamonds are by all metrics worse than the ones we can grow in a lab except for the profit margins of diamond companies, which, as noted, aren't exactly model corporate citizens.

Lab grown diamonds can be literally 100% carbon, which is effectively impossible for natural diamonds to be. Lab grown can have perfect crystalline lattice, with zero translations, omissions or substitutions. You can get lab diamonds up to 4 carats commercially, and they're growing ones as big as 10 carats for industrial use. De Beers themselves have grown them to 25 carats in their research lab.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Wouldn't you rather have a diamond touched by a man whose family is dead of a disease they caught in an african diamond mining operation? Doesn't that sound exotic?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Bombadilillo posted:

Eat the rich.

gently caress this is going to soon be all entry level capital one bullshit cards teens need to build credit isn't it?

get a credit union

e: for real get a credit union if you dont already got one. this is not a message to the quoted poster, this is a message to everybody who doesn't have a credit union

ditch your bank motherfuckers

Former DILF has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Aug 24, 2018

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

fart store posted:

Wouldn't you rather have a diamond touched by a man whose family is dead of a disease they caught in an african diamond mining operation? Doesn't that sound exotic?

Obviously the ones acquired by pillaging nature, exploiting your fellow man and supporting violent conflict are the only acceptable proof of love. Oh those other ones? Those are a sustainable product of committed research work that supports various constructive endeavors, who wants that gay poo poo?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Propitious Jerk posted:

gently caress. I should have taken your advice.

quote:

Although the Soviet authorities wished the prosecutions to take place, the United States objected after the reports of the investigating US microbiologists. Among these was Dr. Edwin Hill (Chief of Fort Detrick), whose report stated that the information was "absolutely invaluable", it "could never have been obtained in the United States because of scruples attached to experiments on humans", and "the information was obtained fairly cheaply".

For those who don't want to look it up, Shiro Ishii makes Mengele look like Mr. Rogers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Training rounds need to mimic the ballistic characteristics of the real rounds, so while they might be made of seeds and poo poo they still need to be shaped like bullets, weigh at least close to the same as the regular ones do, and shoot through the air at thousands of feet per second

Pretty sure I still don’t want to get shot with one

Also they're training rounds for loving tanks, if that's not clear.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Former DILF posted:

get a credit union

e: for real get a credit union if you dont already got one. this is not a message to the quoted poster, this is a message to everybody who doesn't have a credit union

ditch your bank motherfuckers

My friend can't find one in Phoenix that doesn't have worse fees and terms than major banks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Memento posted:

That's utter horseshit. Natural diamonds are by all metrics worse than the ones we can grow in a lab except for the profit margins of diamond companies, which, as noted, aren't exactly model corporate citizens.

Lab grown diamonds can be literally 100% carbon, which is effectively impossible for natural diamonds to be. Lab grown can have perfect crystalline lattice, with zero translations, omissions or substitutions. You can get lab diamonds up to 4 carats commercially, and they're growing ones as big as 10 carats for industrial use. De Beers themselves have grown them to 25 carats in their research lab.

I'm sorry, but the International Diamond Definition Certification Committee has defined those as "not diamonds" using completely fair and unbiased criteria and therefore they are not diamonds.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Oh lol I didn’t even read the thing and just saw “bullets” in the BI headline

I thought somebody put seeds in some 5.56

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh lol I didn’t even read the thing and just saw “bullets” in the BI headline

I thought somebody put seeds in some 5.56

Yeah in fairness the article talked mostly about "bullets" and "ammunition" so that's entirely possible as well but the only specific thing they listed was "tanks" and I'd think tank shells would be much easier to pack with seeds anyway so I'm guessing if this gets made at all it'll be that version

e: Also grenades, I forgot that bit

quote:

The US army is seeking proposals for biodegradable ammunition to replace the existing rounds used in training -- including grenade and tank rounds - citing environmental concerns.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also this incredibly confusing sentence at the end of that CNN article I linked

quote:

The edible grenades may be some time in arriving, but the US army appears ready to do battle with its toxic footprint.

Edible grenades?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Combination grenade and MRE

pizza grenades

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
MRE cheese tortellini.

When it eventually comes out, it's gonna destroy that portajohn. If you want quick results you have to shoot for a beef steak MRE.

And there's been heater bombs with the tabasco sauce and heater pack provided and any old water bottle with a decent cap. MREs are surprisingly utilitarian.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Aug 24, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

shouldn't they be called "shells" instead of rounds if it's for a tank?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Combination grenade and MRE

pizza grenades

I think the term you're looking for is "pizza pockets".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also if they made edible training rounds then you’d have a range day where the officers are shouting at the enlisted to eat more, shove those training rounds down your gullets, because dammit we’ve got to use up our supply of them for this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rutibex posted:

shouldn't they be called "shells" instead of rounds if it's for a tank?

The got exploding ones and solid ones and ones that have a dart shaped thing in it.

So maybe.