Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
phone fully dead. exiled to work phone until I can buy an iPhone. rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jit bull transpile posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

it's this.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
poor android. thought of settings and died

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

poor android. thought of clocks and melted

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

poor android. thought of updates and died

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
if you have a dual sim phone, can you use wifi calling for one sim over cellular data from the other?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

just learned that the ios hangouts app can actually receive calls and texts from my google fi phone number, so nothing of value was lost lmao.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
dual sim phones seem skeezy to me for some reason. why's anybody need two SIM cards? seems suspicious.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

dual sim phones seem skeezy to me for some reason. why's anybody need two SIM cards? seems suspicious.

not sure if serious but usually it's to provide cellular connectivity in areas that lack overlap or to have data on one and cell plan on the other in some countries

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
dual sims are good if you have to have a work mobile number. better than dual wielding nokias.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yeah but then you can't sing

I got two phones, one for the plug and one for the load
I got two phones, one for the bitches and one for the dough
Think I need two more, line bumpin’ I’m ring, ring, ringin’
Countin’ money while they ring, ring, ringin’

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Oh God the notification shade is so ugly and they moved the clock to the other side of the bar to accommodate a notch my phone does not have. loving christ Google.

knowing :google: i'm genuinely surprised they didn't just simulate a notch by blacking out that part of the screen

(instead they blacked out the entire screen :haw: )

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ok While that ASUS ROG phone is a bit overkill gamer goofiness, but drat does it look like ASUS is going full tilt in support of the performance and accessories for docking and doing all sorts of stuff with that phone. Might have to take a look at it next year or whenever it actually launches.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
iOS SwiftKey doesn't have the number row or long press for special characters. why is input on Apple stuff always such poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

regular keyboard has the long press tho.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

President Beep posted:

regular keyboard has the long press tho.

not what I mean. anderd SwiftKey has stuff like asterisk and underscore as long press options that you can see above the letters on the screen. way better than having to go to a separate screen for it

SwiftKey autocorrect is still way better tho so I'm not using the stock keyboard.worst part of iOS hands down

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ah! i see. that does sound good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

not what I mean. anderd SwiftKey has stuff like asterisk and underscore as long press options that you can see above the letters on the screen. way better than having to go to a separate screen for it

SwiftKey autocorrect is still way better tho so I'm not using the stock keyboard.worst part of iOS hands down
you're thinking of swype. swiftkey is the bad one

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anthonypants posted:

you're thinking of swype. swiftkey is the bad one

:wrong:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

iOS keyboard is actually fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

what did the person on the google support line say when you told them their update killed your phone?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ios swype is the one that allows you to choose different characters when you longpress on a letter. no reason to use swiftkey, or even ios swiftkey

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

anthonypants posted:

ios swype is the one that allows you to choose different characters when you longpress on a letter. no reason to use swiftkey, or even ios swiftkey

google gboard is actually good. but don’t give it internet access. swype is good too. swiftkey bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

what did the person on the google support line say when you told them their update killed your phone?

it would be my 5th rma for pixel so I said gently caress it and didn't bother calling. just gonna buy a personal iPhone and live on my carry device for the time being. I'm done with androids

also their "pixel owners community" which is their official support method is full of reports of this with the only response being troubleshooting methods nobody can do because their phones won't turn on.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Management posted:

quote:

We’re living in a new kind of computing environment. Everyone has a device, sometimes multiple devices. It’s been a long time since we have had this rate of change—it probably hasn’t happened since the birth of personal computing 40 years ago. To make the most of these opportunities, we need to focus—otherwise we spread ourselves too thin and lack impact. So today we’ve announced some more closures, bringing the total to 70 devices bricked since our spring cleaning began in 2018.

These changes are never easy. But by focusing our efforts, we can concentrate on building great products that really help in their lives.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anthonypants posted:

I don't see swype in the app store. only result is some grammarly bullshit

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

it used to be there apparently but got discontinued and removed recently.

I booted up my old nexus yesterday to get a file off it and noticed that gboard had auto updated to remove the comma off the main keyboard in favor of having more space between keys on the bottom row

god drat it America, just how fat are your fingers getting?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Crazy Achmed posted:

it used to be there apparently but got discontinued and removed recently.

I booted up my old nexus yesterday to get a file off it and noticed that gboard had auto updated to remove the comma off the main keyboard in favor of having more space between keys on the bottom row

god drat it America, just how fat are your fingers getting?
i heard they discontinued support for swype, i didn't know it got removed from the apple store. welp

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

it would be my 5th rma for pixel

fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice etc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

i kinda want one because i live in shenzhen and go to hong kong a lot.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Themage posted:

it works great for the Apple iPhone X, the only phone that matters

i bought an iphone 8 for the physical home button and the notchless design

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

iOS keyboard is fine but the autocorrect just gets worse and worse over time and it is hilarious.

for example, my phone refuses to allow me to type the word “MARIO” not in all-caps without manual intervention

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

iOS SwiftKey doesn't have the number row or long press for special characters. why is input on Apple stuff always such poo poo

jony ives is a hack

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

anthonypants posted:

i heard they discontinued support for swype, i didn't know it got removed from the apple store. welp

i think it's gone from the android store too. rip my first smartphone keyboard

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think it's gone from the android store too. rip my first smartphone keyboard
android should at least be able to sideload the last apk, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

its still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anthonypants posted:

no reason to use swiftkey, or even ios