Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The bronze bomber is going to wreck fury then aj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wilder is also not a highly technical fighter who might get flummoxed in the way Klitschko was. Obviously Klitschko is a very good fighter, but he’s nothing like Wilder. Of the two, Klitschko is much more complete, but Wilder is very relaxed and he’s completely comfortable losing rounds. These are things I think are big stylistic assets against Fury.

On Fury’s side, it’s not entirely clear if he’s back to his best form.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Fury is slippery as gently caress but i don't think he can stop wilder connecting for the distance and he isn't going to KO wilder. Also i'd reeeealy like to see him get knocked spark out

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I agree Fury would have to win on points. But if he makes it an ugly fight and does not fight from the outside, he takes away Wilder's whole offense. Fury is easily big enough and mobile enough to do it. Keep it inside of middle range, lean on Wilder, tie him up and keep him on the ropes, Fury will beat him. Easier said than done I know, but Fury is equipped to do it.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Fury also got dropped by old cruiserweight Steve Cunningham

I do remember this and thought it was hilarious. And I would also like to see Fury get KO'd, but unfortunately you will have to wait and hope for Joshua to do it. I really would pick Wilder against Fury if it had not been for the Ortiz fight. Wilder looked very vulnerable at times.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'll probably pick fury to control the range and dictate the pace for an ugly and lopsided and sort of tedious 12 rounds.

If you feel strongly either way, the odds are a pick em

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Stylistically I think Joshua is an easier matchup for Fury than Wilder

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's really fun having loads of heavy weight fights with a bit of buzz about them to look forward to.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

really hard to overstate the debt we owe to david haye for rejuvenating the division imho

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Sounds like Oleksandr Usyk vs Tony Bellew is in play for November 10th, in London. Nice for Tony to make as much money as he has, but he’s a really limited guy, and Usyk will absolutely waste him.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a hard life for professional miniboss Dillian Whyte

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I can only hope that Fury was just getting the rounds in and hiding his true power level

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Monday Bandele posted:

I can only hope that Fury was just getting the rounds in and hiding his true power level

That is how he fights. He is out of shape currently but no he's not hiding his knock out power.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Klitschko didn't really know how to cope with Fury's style and as a result didn't really do anything at all, and for all the criticisms that can be levelled at Wilder being too passive is definitely not one of them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Absolutely, that is the fun of heavyweight boxing. One wrong move etc. What I love about all these match ups is that they could go either way, styles makes fights etc.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Julio Cruz posted:

Klitschko didn't really know how to cope with Fury's style and as a result didn't really do anything at all, and for all the criticisms that can be levelled at Wilder being too passive is definitely not one of them.

Also-and admittedly I'm grasping for straws-in the lead up to the Fury fight Wlad couldn't really train like he does because that was when Hayden was going through post partum depression after their kid was born.

EDIT: And lest we forget about the other superfight happening in Las Vegas this year; the Canelo-GGG II undercard has been set

Jamie Mungia vs Brandon Cook
-This will actually be Mungia's fifth fight this year and he's no doubt getting the push as the next big Mexican star to rival Canelo. Cook, a 1 loss fighter based in Toronto, seems solid but there's a reason for Mungia getting this opponent in this spot.
David Lemieux vs Spike O'Sullivan
-Lemieux tries to get some measure of redemption after getting totally humiliated by Billy Joe last December. He should get a highlight reel finish of Spike but if he's washed then the roles could be reversed
Chocolatito Gonzalez vs Moises Fuentes
-Chocolatito's first comeback fight after getting destroyed by Srisaket Sor Rungviasi. I hope he's not totally done but the way SSR blasted him-and now the long layoff-has me worried that this will end very badly for him.

https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/1031653397886320645

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 20, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i really wish chocolatito hadn't fallen off like he did. he was an amazing fighter to watch. also, beating floyd to a legit 50-0 would have been sweet

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Marching Powder posted:

i really wish chocolatito hadn't fallen off like he did. he was an amazing fighter to watch. also, beating floyd to a legit 50-0 would have been sweet

The best part was how nakedly pissed off Max Kellerman was at SSR during the first post-fight interview.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I didn't realise O'Sullivan was still going or that he's only lost 2 fights in his career, seems like it should've been more

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That’s actually a really good undercard.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The officials have been named for Canelo-GGG 2. Notable in that other than Dave Moretti-who was actually the only one to score the first fight for Golovkin despite a worrisome history judging Canelo fights-all of the officials are based in the East Coast (Esteves and Weiseld are from New Jersey and Feldman from Connecticut) which is really rare for Nevada.

Judges:
Dave Moretti
Glenn Feldman
Steve Weisfeld

Referee:
Benjy Esteves Jr.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Former heavyweight “world champion” Charles Martin is all of a sudden apparently going to be fighting undefeated top 10 contender Adam Kownacki on September 8th. The winner will become another potential future title contender. Not sure where Martin’s head is at or even really how good he is, but he’s a physical talent and still only 32. Kownacki is 6’3 without much power, so if Martin can’t beat him his career at the world level is basically over.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I sometimes think about the guy that fought him before Joshua and how his ACL totally collapsed early in the fight, costing him a 5 million dollar payday. Boxing is a cruel sport.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Such disrespect for a man who walks this earth like a God.

https://youtu.be/OZ2GWNPWb6Y

EDIT: Speaking of people who may walk the Earth like a God (not really but) Danny Jacobs-Sergiy Derevyanchenko is set for October 27th. The late October-November schedule is looking so incredibly juicy

https://twitter.com/MatchroomBoxing/status/1032686585651908608

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 24, 2018

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

The SituAsian posted:

Such disrespect for a man who walks this earth like a God.

https://youtu.be/OZ2GWNPWb6Y

That Charles Martin fight was pure comic genius. He should retire and become the new Kevin Hart.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Martin is an interesting fighter. Physically he's got enough to be a threat, but his skills seem unrefined to say the least. He was clearly outmatched against AJ, but it's no embarrassment to lose to the best in the game.

I like Martin, he seems like a fun guy and I made big on a bet for him against Glazkov, so I hope he wins.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Martin is an interesting fighter. Physically he's got enough to be a threat, but his skills seem unrefined to say the least. He was clearly outmatched against AJ, but it's no embarrassment to lose to the best in the game.

I like Martin, he seems like a fun guy and I made big on a bet for him against Glazkov, so I hope he wins.

He didn't even throw a punch at AJ though. Just stood there and got a beating.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Charles Martin fuckin sucks what are you guys going on about

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To reiterate, I won a bet on him because the other guy's leg exploded so he can do no wrong for me now. His instagram also owns. I would love to see him be successful.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

mike- posted:

Charles Martin fuckin sucks what are you guys going on about

He’s probably not very good but he’s Lennox Lewis sized with good power, and he’s an entertaining personality. He also somehow won a world title without beating anyone in the top 50 (Glazkov doesn’t really count as a “win”), which is hilarious. Anyway Kownacki is a legit top 10-15 heavyweight but limited in both size and skills, so he’s a perfect indicator of how good Martin is. If Martin can’t beat him him at least semi-impressively, he’s done.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't believe Cigar Aficionado and I are agreeing about something and it's the dumbest boxing opinion possible.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Hell yeah :hfive:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Isn't there a YouTube fight going on tomorrow?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

willie_dee posted:

Isn't there a YouTube fight going on tomorrow?

Ugh drat you for reminding me about KSI-Logan Paul

Edit: Jesus and their brothers (Comedyshortsgamer and Jake Paul) are fighting on the undercard

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Ah that was it!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Im routing for KSI but he's got very little experience, Logan wrestled a ton in high school and was legit good, has clear knock down power and has got about 10kg on KSI as well as reach. At the weight ins it looks like Logan had actually cut weight so it seems like a more legit fight on paper.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In a fight between two completely amateur strongman boxers I'll always pick the guy with more boxing experience over the stronger fighter. I think for this matchup that's KSI.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
That's the one thing he's got going for him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Logan Paul is legitimately a moron so I'm expecting/hoping he'll try something incredibly dumb and get his face smashed in for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

willie_dee posted:

That's the one thing he's got going for him.

I don't really know what kind of boxing training Logan Paul has done for this, but his physique is a little more reminiscent of a high level boxer's, so with good training he would be the favourite. As far as I can tell though, KSI has been interested in this sort of thing for a lot longer and of course the boxing training in Britain is very good. I'll actually watch this, I love a good lovely fight between guys who can't box