Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any real reason to hack and use a Wii U for GameCube over a pc with dolphin? Better compatibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there any real reason to hack and use a Wii U for GameCube over a pc with dolphin? Better compatibility?

Does the Wii U still have gamecube hardware in it? I use Nintendont on my Wii because it's actual gamecube hardware so everything will work.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cojawfee posted:

Does the Wii U still have gamecube hardware in it? I use Nintendont on my Wii because it's actual gamecube hardware so everything will work.

Nintendont works the same on the Wii U as the Wii, so yeah I think it has the same hardware in it, technically, thanks to the Wii hardware in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So just do the Wii U then. There are some hardware things in the gamecube that aren't easy to do in an emulator. It's been a couple years, but I remember there was some z-layer something or other the gamecube did that was really hard to do in software.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It runs the games natively so it’ll be better than Dolphin. You can also run Triforce arcade board games through Nintendont.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How's the image quality? Does the wiiu do any upscaling on wii/gc games?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RandomFerret posted:

How's the image quality? Does the wiiu do any upscaling on wii/gc games?

No. It’s basically like using a Wii. I suppose image quality may be a bit better due to HDMI though.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Original Wii has a few very marginal benefits. The Gamecube-USB adapter for Wii U won't be able to connect to the GBA link cable for multiplayer Four Swords or Crystal Chronicles. Also, only the Wii can do proper 240p support if you're connecting to an old CRT or Framemeister.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

I tried Mario Sunshine on Dolphin recently and it was pretty janky and had weird lag and bugs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

general chaos posted:

Original Wii has a few very marginal benefits. The Gamecube-USB adapter for Wii U won't be able to connect to the GBA link cable for multiplayer Four Swords or Crystal Chronicles. Also, only the Wii can do proper 240p support if you're connecting to an old CRT or Framemeister.

Wouldn't that be the same as connecting a gamecube to an old CRT? You can use component or an HDMI adapter to get 480p out of the Wii.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

African AIDS cum posted:

I tried Mario Sunshine on Dolphin recently and it was pretty janky and had weird lag and bugs

Those water effects were ahead of their time and must be a pain to properly emulate.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Put my USB that I had Wiibackups into my WiiU. WiiU says that it's not in a usable format, even though it was in fat32. I eventually break down and let the WiiU convert it to something it can read, erasing everything on it. Now I'm looking at the USB and my computer wants to format it to be usable. what do :(

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Bogart posted:

Put my USB that I had Wiibackups into my WiiU. WiiU says that it's not in a usable format, even though it was in fat32. I eventually break down and let the WiiU convert it to something it can read, erasing everything on it. Now I'm looking at the USB and my computer wants to format it to be usable. what do :(

RIP your Wii backups. When the WiiU converts a drive it wipes and encrypts it for use with legit WiiU applications. If you want to use that drive for Wii games, you have to keep it as fat 32 and use a program called Ustealth (I think? phone posting rn) to hide it from the WiiU.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you need those Wii backups back? Assuming you didn't write anything else to the drive, you could use some sort of data recovery software to try to get them back.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nah, I was smart enough to keep them on a backup backup. Appreciate the sympathy, though. :v: Never heard of Ustealth before. Thanks for the headsup.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm starting to suspect that using a USB stick just doesn't work. No matter where I stick it on the WiiU (it has wbfs files on it) even with a Y-cable, USBLoaderGX either 1) doesn't see it in the first place or 2) recognizes something but doesn't load it, both paths giving me the ultimate error of "Error: USB Device not initialized. Switching to channel list mode." which seems to be a common error without a solution other than 'turn it off and on again.' help pls :saddowns:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

African AIDS cum posted:

Are you running an older rig or older version of Dolphin because Sunshine is almost perfect at this point.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Super_Mario_Sunshine

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

s.i.r.e. posted:

Are you running an older rig or older version of Dolphin because Sunshine is almost perfect at this point.

It might be playable but I have it for gamecube to compare to and it has a lot of annoying little issues. I'd prefer to play on an emu just to utilize save states to save time retrying hard sections but it isn't quite there yet IMO

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Bogart posted:

I'm starting to suspect that using a USB stick just doesn't work. No matter where I stick it on the WiiU (it has wbfs files on it) even with a Y-cable, USBLoaderGX either 1) doesn't see it in the first place or 2) recognizes something but doesn't load it, both paths giving me the ultimate error of "Error: USB Device not initialized. Switching to channel list mode." which seems to be a common error without a solution other than 'turn it off and on again.' help pls :saddowns:

The Wii U is weird about USB sticks. Especially with USB Loader GX. I have one that only sporadically works. General consensus is that hard drives work better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

African AIDS cum posted:

It might be playable but I have it for gamecube to compare to and it has a lot of annoying little issues. I'd prefer to play on an emu just to utilize save states to save time retrying hard sections but it isn't quite there yet IMO

Interesting, I guess if you have the original hardware to compare it to that stuff would be really glaring. I haven't touched the original version of Sunshine in over 10 years so I'm probably not the best judge.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Does Nintendon't have gamepad functionality? I wanna play Gamecube games in my bed.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Does Nintendon't have gamepad functionality? I wanna play Gamecube games in my bed.

Depends on how you set up the game/nintendont. There's a forwarder that should work but you're limited to using the SD card for game storage I think. I've never really tried it out

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So apparently Nintendo just updated it to a full CDN ban, so no redownloading purchased games, no updates, no DLC, no anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For what system?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KKKLIP ART posted:

So apparently Nintendo just updated it to a full CDN ban, so no redownloading purchased games, no updates, no DLC, no anything.

Wouldn't that be illegal to not allow people to download things they actually paid for?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wouldn't that be illegal to not allow people to download things they actually paid for?

Probably not. There's a reason DRM campaigners call digital/steam game "ownership" a rental that's dependent on the whims of the platform operator. While alarmist, they're not entirely incorrect.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

For what system?

Switch for sure, but I'd expect it expanded since they just rolled out similar style authentication on the 3ds

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Those people can still download the things they paid for on a different Switch :cop:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah this is essentially a full on console ban, so you don't loose everything, just need to get a new console to get your stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting, I don't know the legalities of anything but I guess if it's just a console ban then there's not much of a case or whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So you can do a system transfer from a banned console to a new one and get your stuff back?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Interesting, I don't know the legalities of anything but I guess if it's just a console ban then there's not much of a case or whatever.

Microsoft could ban gamertags (which killed all your digital purchases as a side effect with no refund) and didn't get in trouble for it.

Gamertag bans were pretty rare though, more often you just got the console banned

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Probably not. There's a reason DRM campaigners call digital/steam game "ownership" a rental that's dependent on the whims of the platform operator. While alarmist, they're not entirely incorrect.

The UK changed it's laws and large swathes of people lost access to Prey. Their keys were revoked and neither steam or Bethesda is refunding them.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Turtlicious posted:

The UK changed it's laws and large swathes of people lost access to Prey. Their keys were revoked and neither steam or Bethesda is refunding them.

Wait what now?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Can you link a news source for this?

In my searches I’m only finding the odd revocation because of a stolen key having been used from a key reseller, which you get for pretty much all steam games. Nothing about what you describe.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 26, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Two people in the Steam thread had it happen with Prey over the last two days, one of them made a joke about it being because of Brexit and goons are bad at recognising humour.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
"Large swathes" might be accurate when describing two goons but I still feel it's disingenuous.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Haven't had to add new games to my 3DS in probably well over a year, so I ignored all this stuff about Freeshop getting blocked. Of course, today I wanted to continue my Monster Hunter game from my Wii U, transferring it to my 3DS. The save data transfer app is free on the eshop, but of course I can't get it anymore. And, of course not a soul online has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

No, this is imaginary. I'm not a copyright expert but I'm a UK lawyer (who owns Prey and played it the other day) and would be aware of this.