Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Fluffdaddy posted:

I dunno what’s worse, the Ohio State homers or the Michigan dudes using this as an opportunity to pump up their program

The only things that can get an Ohio State coach removed are losing to Michigan or a massive scandal. Ohio State hasn't had a coach leave in his own volition since the 1940's.

It isn't pumping up when it's the truth. Michigan is the best option to passively root for, out of the top 4 Big Ten East teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ok, you can't root for Ohio State or Penn State, but there is always Michigan State they haven't had...oh wait. Well maybe newcomer Maryland....drat. Rutg- cant even finish typing it.

So, go Indiana?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Just root for the Big Ten to lose every single OOC game and then every bowl game they get into.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

skaboomizzy posted:

Just root for the Big Ten to lose every single OOC game and then every bowl game they get into.

They do that without any help.

Also Indiana had Knight for years. So they're dirty as gently caress too. There's no D1 school you can feel good cheering for.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

The only things that can get an Ohio State coach removed are losing to Michigan or a massive scandal. Ohio State hasn't had a coach leave in his own volition since the 1940's.

It isn't pumping up when it's the truth. Michigan is the best option to passively root for, out of the top 4 Big Ten East teams.

My point is that domestic violence and the schools inaction to punish those involved is not an opportunity to talk about who to cheer for on the football field. That poo poo is gross.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Fluffdaddy posted:

My point is that domestic violence and the schools inaction to punish those involved is not an opportunity to talk about who to cheer for on the football field. That poo poo is gross.

My point is that it's pretty dark that two of the four major schools in a group are dealing with major self-inflicted scandals from the past year, and a third is Penn State. The only non-scandal option is Michigan. And if you want to include the entire division, Ohio State's scandal is probably the 4th-worst of the Big Ten East.

It's also really bizarre that Ohio State always has coaches leave under bad terms. It's just weird.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Tressel thing was in hindsight bullshit and is a much better example of the NCAA being an awful institution with idiotic rules than it was of deep institutional corruption.

And yes we are aware that your point, in literally all situations and regardless of whether or not it's actually related to the topic at hand, is that Michigan is a paragon of virtue

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 24, 2018

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
So yeah I got probated for the first time in 12 1/2 years of posting here. I think I did a bad job clearly saying what I intended. I'll be very brief so as not to further hijack the thread or probate myself further.

All I was saying is that there were stories that came out in the aftermath of the initial report that included Courtney Smith's own mother disputing her claims, as well as adding her own details (one including her trying to run over Zach Smith with a car during an argument, another was her having the police come out twice to sweep her house for a hidden camera she was "sure" Zach planted in her house), as well as this quote: "but he never hit my daughter. It was just the opposite: She hit him often. She would start hitting him just to start a fight. He would have to grab her arms tight to get control of her. I am sure that left the marks on her arms which everybody saw the pictures of." Other stuff as well. Additionally, I've not seen any other people really corroborate her claims, and on the contrary, her supposed close friend, Michelle Herman (close enough to loan her $10k), said "She never told me she was being abused. She never told anyone she was being abused. Nobody saw any abuse.”

My point to all this isn't "See she's full of poo poo case closed," or "Zach Smith obviously is a really cool dude," but rather suggesting isn't there MAYBE some level of doubt to where Urban Meyer's inaction isn't evidence of a huge coverup for football cause he's a super terrible person, and instead that the view in their circle was that they were both alcoholics who drank and fought in a tumultuous relationship. And that in this light, comparisons to Penn State and some other knee-jerk reactions were way over the top. Ok, thats it, I won't post again about it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MyStereoHasMono posted:

So yeah I got probated for the first time in 12 1/2 years of posting here. I think I did a bad job clearly saying what I intended. I'll be very brief so as not to further hijack the thread or probate myself further.

All I was saying is that there were stories that came out in the aftermath of the initial report that included Courtney Smith's own mother disputing her claims, as well as adding her own details (one including her trying to run over Zach Smith with a car during an argument, another was her having the police come out twice to sweep her house for a hidden camera she was "sure" Zach planted in her house), as well as this quote: "but he never hit my daughter. It was just the opposite: She hit him often. She would start hitting him just to start a fight. He would have to grab her arms tight to get control of her. I am sure that left the marks on her arms which everybody saw the pictures of." Other stuff as well. Additionally, I've not seen any other people really corroborate her claims, and on the contrary, her supposed close friend, Michelle Herman (close enough to loan her $10k), said "She never told me she was being abused. She never told anyone she was being abused. Nobody saw any abuse.”

My point to all this isn't "See she's full of poo poo case closed," or "Zach Smith obviously is a really cool dude," but rather suggesting isn't there MAYBE some level of doubt to where Urban Meyer's inaction isn't evidence of a huge coverup for football cause he's a super terrible person, and instead that the view in their circle was that they were both alcoholics who drank and fought in a tumultuous relationship. And that in this light, comparisons to Penn State and some other knee-jerk reactions were way over the top. Ok, thats it, I won't post again about it.

I’m confused.

You’re still arguing a position that sounds like you’re questioning if Zach Smith abused her.

If that was still in question then I highly doubt the school suspends one of the best football coaches of all time on false allegations.

Also, if a woman hits you, you remove yourself and kids from the situation. Like yeah, maybe they were both shitheads and women shouldn’t hit men either, but come on. Do you really not see why her potentially being an rear end in a top hat, maybe even a physically abusive rear end in a top hat, has no bearing on whether or not it’s okay for her husband to ever hit her?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was assuming that was a case of "source your quotes" but, :smith:

Love it, especially if you follow other sports, everything I've read has been uniformly excellent. theathletic.com/solidverbal gets you $36 for the year

I finally signed up the other day and it's $30 if you still have a .edu email address that's active.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
i'm proud of my conference for doing the right thing and paying players

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I think doing domestic violence is bad. Sorry if this offends

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Raku posted:

i'm proud of my conference for doing the right thing and paying players

You got any more of that Bama/Georgia money for Florida players? We could use a more complete roster.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just nuke the big10 from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

That Works posted:

Just nuke the big10 from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Northwestern Did Nothing Wrong

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Alright

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

MyStereoHasMono posted:

MAYBE some level of doubt to where Urban Meyer's inaction isn't evidence of a huge coverup for football cause he's a super terrible person, and instead that the view in their circle was that they were both alcoholics who drank and fought in a tumultuous relationship.

Do you not see where having this knowledge as a head coach and not taking action, is being dismissive of a major drat problem? They aren't just co-workers or neighbors, the head coach has an obligation to report this information.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

They do that without any help.
uhm, I think you'll find that they had a perfect bowl season last year with the exception of... oh.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 24, 2018

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Am I gonna get a probie if I reply "gently caress off, nerd" to someone, this is very important

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Emron posted:

Am I gonna get a probie if I reply "gently caress off, nerd" to someone, this is very important

I can’t speak for iospace but I’m gonna guess not

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can’t speak for iospace but I’m gonna guess not

Thanks.

MyStereoHasMono posted:

gently caress off, nerd

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

angryrobots posted:

Do you not see where having this knowledge as a head coach and not taking action, is being dismissive of a major drat problem? They aren't just co-workers or neighbors, the head coach has an obligation to report this information.

The inaction was not removing Smith as a coach long before any of this happened, he has a long history of being an abuser. The “report this” part is confusing to me, are you talking about the 2015 incident because Gene Smith got Smith to come back to Columbus and go to the Powell police station to answer questions about the allegations. He even went to the OSU police to monitor the situation. Unless of course you are talking about a seperate incident then I apologize.

I still can’t come up with a rational explanation of how Smith lasted this long other then a good ol’ boys network type of bullshit that happens in football.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MyStereoHasMono posted:

So yeah I got probated for the first time in 12 1/2 years of posting here.

lol don't be a weenie you got a 6er. Join the bad kids smoking in the bathroom

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MyStereoHasMono posted:

So yeah I got probated for the first time in 12 1/2 years of posting here.

Welcome to the Resistance.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

One time I got banned for posting a link to some obviously nonexistent website like https://www.goatse.com/goatse/ITS_THE_GOAT_MAN/goatmanass/itsgoatse.html and someone reported me for "posting a link to goatse." My ban message was "posting the goat" and I didn't get reinstated until someone actually got a mod to click the link. I made an apology video to atone for my mortal sin on my return. Just a little bit of deep emron lore for you.

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2rL5DFRQWI

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Please do NOT report or joke probie me for sharing this trauma with you.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

hosed up if this isn't your real voice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

One time I got banned for posting a link to some obviously nonexistent website like https://www.goatse.com/goatse/ITS_THE_GOAT_MAN/goatmanass/itsgoatse.html and someone reported me for "posting a link to goatse." My ban message was "posting the goat" and I didn't get reinstated until someone actually got a mod to click the link. I made an apology video to atone for my mortal sin on my return. Just a little bit of deep emron lore for you.

Here's the video

I'm hovering over the report button for posting the goat man link again

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My clean rap sheet :qq: now I'll never get into Posting Yale

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I'm hovering over the report button for posting the goat man link again

I very politely asked everyone not to. Incredibly loving cruel of you to betray me like this.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Emron posted:

Here's the video

I am so glad I stuck around to the end of this. Magical.

Emron posted:

I've been probe'd for silly poo poo, sometimes it's worth it to tell someone to gently caress off. Embrace chaos.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

My clean rap sheet :qq: now I'll never get into Posting Yale

If you haven’t been probated for being a smug, early 20s libertarian shithead, are you even a goon?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Emron posted:

I very politely asked everyone not to. Incredibly loving cruel of you to betray me like this.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Mr. Kyanka, I don't feel too good...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

B& for abusing report system

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

gently caress, I always forget that avatars are a thing and that I have one. I always have 'em turned off.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Notice anything strange about NMSU's schedule? That's not an error.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

Notice anything strange about NMSU's schedule? That's not an error.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Home and Home in the same season lol

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Reported for hate speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They also play their first two games before the season starts for most schools

I respect NMSU desperately clinging to FBS as an independent but there is no way it goes well

• Locked thread