Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Lysidas posted:

if you have a dual sim phone, can you use wifi calling for one sim over cellular data from the other?

Yes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

does that link not pull up swype on the play store for you?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It says "item not found"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

it pulls up fine for me but im behind a work proxy that sometimes makes me seem as though im in the czech republic

i guess move to prague?

e: home wifi it still comes up

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 24, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it shows in the play store if you click the link but if you open the link in a browser it shows item not found

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iPhone 8 doesn’t have a physical home button it tricks you into thinking it’s a button

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i think the fake home button on my 7+ is cool.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the fake home button is very well done. this is why timb took it away. why timb q_q

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

i think the fake home button on my 7+ is cool.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I forget it’s a fake button until I shut down my phone and then it’s so weird

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
why do you turn your phone off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Triglav posted:

why do you turn your phone off

software updates mostly. button doesn’t work while it’s booting.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

it shows in the play store if you click the link but if you open the link in a browser it shows item not found

it comes up in my browser too

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Doc Block posted:

u don't have to report back

see u in the fall bb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the fake home button is very well done. this is why timb took it away. why timb q_q

just swiping up works and feels better

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I like the pixel's hardware but Android gets steadily worse. But timbfone has been poo poo since 5s on the hardware side even if ios is boring and functional (and also worse since 5s days)

Someone make a good phone please

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol whut?

how the hell are you going to poo poo on apple's hardware, compared to literally any android?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

infernal machines posted:

lol whut?

how the hell are you going to poo poo on apple's hardware, compared to literally any android?

Oh look at me, made a phone that if you put down automatically scratches the sides of the phone and also rests directly on the camera lens, thatll be $1000 please

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

swiftkey autocorrect is hot loving garbage on my iphone and doesn't seem to exist at all on ipad, what keyboard software do people use?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i use the jony keyboard with autocapitalization and autocorrect turned off. but i do keep the double space = period space

it just works

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lol whut?

iphone internal hardware, specs, performance, etc., are all great. the trend in actual normie user-friendliness of the hardware though? ehh :chloe:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lol whut?

fair being fair, the worst thing by far in the world of android is the software, followed closely by google

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

swiftkey autocorrect is hot loving garbage on my iphone and doesn't seem to exist at all on ipad, what keyboard software do people use?
now that swype is gone i think the alternatives are swiftkey (lol) and gboard (lmao). maybe fleksy?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
gboard is decent but swiftkey is the worst thing I've ever used

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

elmer chud posted:

gboard is decent but swiftkey is the worst thing I've ever used

it seems like a completely different app than the android one which is great

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

I love tasker so much.

I bought 2 "smart" sockets for my bedroom and my office. I was able to (after lots of effort and failures) figure out how to send a webapi call to IFTTT.org (if this than that) to send them calls to either turn them on or off.

The tasker profiles I have now is for when the battery level is 0-26% it would tell all the sockets to turn on via a API call which charges the phone if it is connected to one of the chargers connected to the sockets. Then when the battery reached 93-100% it tells all the sockets off.

I put flags in so the task to turn it off/on only runs once because I think it would keep sending the same api call repeatedly until it was out of those two ranges. I also have a third task that only runs in the morning that makes sure the battery supply is at least 80% when I leave.

I keep reading articles online on how phones are smarter about the power they take in and won't burn out the phones even if sitting at 100%. I have picked up my phone sitting plugged in at 100% and it can be very warm. The Kill-a-watt confirms this and tells me that it sucks as much power at 100% then it does at 50%. Tasker lets me go with my paranoid mind and make sure it charges correctly.

Now that it is done, have two questions.

1) Do you all want a guide on how to do this? IFTTT is a trashy Web 2.0 bull-poo poo page and hides a lot of features away from a normal user. The SmartLife brand socket is there, but if you use one of their similar functions, you just failed! Fun times...

2) What is the suggested battery range to sit a battery at? I think 26% may be too low and maybe 35-45 may be a better lower limit while 80 might be better for upper limit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
:negative:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
:wtc:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao battery janitoring

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
do snapdragons still output more heat than most nuclear reactors

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

guess i could get gboard again but i put a lot of effort into getting rid of all my google poo poo recently

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

file under "android is for piracy"

Hamburlgar posted:

Install Terrarium TV on your Fire TV. You’ll thank me later.

Ixian posted:

The webpage for it has everything I love about modern bullshit app advertising starting with:

"It's completely legal"

No it isn't. There's your first red flag. "Oh wait, all this stuff that the publishers charge for is actually free and legal? Who are these rubes that pay for it LOLOL"

Hint: You're the rube.

They also use Material Design to mimic as closely as they can the Google Play store even though this would not be allowed on Google Play in a million years (or it would, if only because their screening service is backlogged).

As far as "How can I get Youtube TV, a legit service I paid for, on my FireTV considering Amazon and Google are still kicking each other in the balls?" goes, this is a pretty hilarious suggestion. Why not just say, "subscribe to both an NZB and "News" account and download everything" instead? Probably a better experience too.

Hamburlgar posted:

Yes, I’m the rube for not paying out the rear end for subscription services! Somebody call the police!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i don't necessarily have a moral issue with pirating, but i'll be damned if i'm going to tv janitor when i can just pay a few bucks a month for something that works and isn't a colossal pain in the rear end.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
the bourgeoisie demand purchasing of all tv shows watched. if you refuse they actively begin trying to kill you. renting merely delays your death by a negligible amount of time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:ok:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

President Beep posted:

i don't necessarily have a moral issue with pirating, but i'll be damned if i'm going to tv janitor when i can just pay a few bucks a month for something that works and isn't a colossal pain in the rear end.

You must not live in Canada if you can pay for something that works. Up here you can pay for eleven broken lovely streaming services with a fraction of the content on US Netflix/Hulu/whatever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BGrifter posted:

You must not live in Canada if you can pay for something that works. Up here you can pay for eleven broken lovely streaming services with a fraction of the content on US Netflix/Hulu/whatever.

yall's glorious north sucks

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BGrifter posted:

Heh, Australia has it worse since Fox has done their best to lock in HBO, Showtime and most other studios to their pay TV service making streaming a waste of time outside of Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You Am I posted:

Heh, Australia has it worse since Fox has done their best to lock in HBO, Showtime and most other studios to their pay TV service making streaming a waste of time outside of Netflix.

your country is responsible for unleashing rupert murdoch on the world, you deserve your lovely streaming