Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've never once seen or heard an auto mosin (or a Nitro for that matter) and I've only ever gone up against a guy with an auto-5 once or twice. I'm level 50-something and have 42 hours into the game, for what that's worth.

The overwhelming majority of my deaths that werent at very close range (melee, shotgun etc.) were from Veterli or Mosin rifles.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
To be clear, I'm talking about the Mosin sniper rifle with the scope when I say Mosin Sniper. You don't run across many of those, regular Mosins are fairly common.

My point is that these people are laying the blame at the feet of the weapons, some of which I doubt they're actually encountering. The high level expensive weapons ARE powerful (and should be, the auto mosin is 1800 dollars), but the reason they keep getting wasted post Rank 34 is because they're playing with the general population which is more experienced at the game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ran into my first team of 4 working together which is super loving bullshit and I hope Caedwalla's report gets them all banned.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Ran into my first team of 4 working together which is super loving bullshit and I hope Caedwalla's report gets them all banned.

That either took a lot of negotiation and trust on their part or the two teams somehow managed to get into the same match while in discord I'm guessing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

AndyElusive posted:

That either took a lot of negotiation and trust on their part or the two teams somehow managed to get into the same match while in discord I'm guessing.

I imagine it was just queue timing which isn't impossible. We didn't hear anything on local voice.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
I've played a lot of games and have rarely encountered a mosin sniper (one time camping in church tower), and maybe a dozen huots. You can usually hear the huot a long way off and decide to avoid and/or attack.

Getting your money back on just the Huot is 2 really good games and more like 5 okay games. Good luck surviving that long when a whiteshirt with a winnie and machete can still gently caress you up.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I will never buy a gun more expensive than 200 bucks

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The truth is, when you first start playing the game, you're going to be up against mostly other tier 1s with guns comparable to your's.

Then suddenly you get killed by a guy who looks like if some Tier 1 High Speed Low Drag Delta-Force Looking Motherfucker went all Magnificent Seven who shoots you with probably a Dolch or nades you before you even know he's there.

And then the game's like "hey this is how high level the guy was. Wow, he really killed you huh. Anyways, here's the gun he was using, bet you wish you had one."

They're starting to add in some more low-level stuff for variety and to even out the odds though, like the Nagant Officer. What they really should do is implement some kind of death cam so people learn from their deaths instead of just getting super salty about them.

Knifegrab posted:

I will never buy a gun more expensive than 200 bucks

It was a long time before I even started buying the first bolt action you get. :allears:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Just had some fun buying t1 hunters and immediately machete rushing anyone who made noise. Every time ended in a mutual melee kill, but it was funny seeing dudes with fancy guns whipping out their own blades to have at the murder hobo running at them.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
There is no video game on earth where being the crazy fucker with a knife won't get you at least the occasional kill

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I maintain that the Romero hatchet is the best value weapon in the game and will fight anyone who disagrees.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I maintain that the Romero hatchet is the best value weapon in the game and will fight anyone who disagrees.

One of my favorite loadouts is the hatchet with a Caldwell handcannon. Give em three barrels and then charge them. It works all the time, most of the time.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I think with the changes to shotguns I prefer the Romero talon now

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Knifegrab posted:

I think with the changes to shotguns I prefer the Romero talon now

I think I am swinging towards this direction myself.

That fuzzy line between 2-shotting and almost-killing dudes has grown a bit uncomfortable, and having the extra choke on the longer barreled shotties sorta makes up for what the hand cannons are missing now.

Sure you can erase a dude up close, but at that range you might as well be meleeing (yea I'm exaggerating a bit).

I've also had a good deal more laggy nonsense leading to things like shooting 'through' enemies point blank, or melee hit-registration being delayed enough that two people can regularly melee one another, or you can melee a guy, get shot by him, then both die. It's a good quarter-second of lag between where the kill happens and it actually going through - ample time for someone to end you.

The same has been happening with zombies lately, too - where you slap em in the face with your machete... and they get a swing through before their head suddenly explodes. Frustrating.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Funny thing, my first post-patch game, I took the Hatchet and the Nagant Precision.

I was matched with a guy who had an Avtovat.

First kill of the game: he was running down a bridge walkway ahead of me. A Hunter in the bushes shot at him as he passed by, whereupon I plunged into the bushes with my Hatchet and chopped him down. People were trailing after us the whole match, but we got to the boss and killed him instantly with a combination of poison and concertina, then set up to defend the banish.

I took the second story window. Fishing around, I saw a guy very steathily crawling through the yard- so I shot him in the head.

His partner didn't see where the shot came from. A few minutes later, he tried to crawl in and resurrect his friend- so I shot him in the head.

A third Hunter discovered their bodies, crawled up to loot them- so I shot him in the head.

Not pictured: the dead Hunter off in the fog by the riverbank, who lost a sniper duel with his Winnie vs my revolver. The Nagant Precision is a really good buy.

Mister Avtovat killed one guy the entire game. :allears:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Was his name 'Death'?
'cause I ran into him twice last night - both times shot in the back with an Avtomat while sprinting around on my Tier Zero (not saying I didn't deserve it - but it's twice in one night dying to the same dude with the same gun, and before that I've seen an Avtomat used exactly once).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Nah it was supermonkee or something like that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was assured that this gentleman spawned in every game and killed literally hundreds of hunters within 20 seconds of match start so you've done the community a great service.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Then suddenly you get killed by a guy who looks like if some Tier 1 High Speed Low Drag Delta-Force Looking Motherfucker went all Magnificent Seven who shoots you with probably a Dolch or nades you before you even know he's there.

And then the game's like "hey this is how high level the guy was. Wow, he really killed you huh. Anyways, here's the gun he was using, bet you wish you had one."

They're starting to add in some more low-level stuff for variety and to even out the odds though, like the Nagant Officer. What they really should do is implement some kind of death cam so people learn from their deaths instead of just getting super salty about them.

Yeah, gently caress that bullshit death screen. It's great that to see that I was blown away at 60 meters by a loving OP expensive rear end weapon and that the guy with it was Tier 3 but where in the gently caress was he?

So ya, I wish there was a kill cam, but I'm not sure how they'd implement it in duos since you don't die until you're BBQ'd or your partner bites it.

It would just help to understand what you did wrong, or how out in the open you actually were or just how well hidden the killer was etc. And like you said, it would reduce the sheer amount of sodium that comes from a sudden death.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I do not want killcams. I do not want a duo partner to know exactly where I was when I kill his buddy.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

kill cams would absolutely ruin the game.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
super simple fix.
killcams that engage only after permadeath. if you're solo or when your body is burnt or when you AND your partner die, then killcam becomes available.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The game already knows the difference between when you are down, and when you are dead. Just like PUBG, only let players view a killcam when they're dead.

Also if it makes any other newbies feel better, I am chronically loving cheap in this game and rarely spend more than 100 dollars on a main weapon. I still have plenty of games where I get poo poo done. I would recommend staying with the low-tier weapons as you learn. The Winnie will help you with your rifle game, the Caldwell Rival will teach you how to shotgun. The Talon or Hatchet shotguns are also viable, but the Caldwell Rival is pretty forgiving.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Yeah I would love to have a deathcam, but you shouldn't be able to access it once unless you were well and truly off the map for good.

I think just the FPS clip of the killer would do as well, not necessarily a 3rd person recreation.

Being able to say: "gently caress he could see me clearly there" or "goddamn that was a nice shot" would take a lot of the sting away and help improve your personal play.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Basticle posted:

kill cams would absolutely ruin the game.

That's some great hyperbole.

Solo queue kill cam wouldn't do a thing.

Its implementation in duos that make kill cams in this game nearly impossible unless available after the match.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It doesn't even need to be very long. Like the last five or ten seconds so you can go "ah yeah that's where I hosed up."

Again, kill cam, not 'oh I'm down queue the instant replay- he's at 225 throw a nade'.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Queue up the killcam where we both died and I get to watch my crazy rear end hunter charge a dude with a shotgun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Not every game needs a kill cam lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What would a kill cam that only activates once a person or a duo are permadead ruin, exactly?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Argument is probably moot anyway: https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap

Its not on the roadmap.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Also if it makes any other newbies feel better, I am chronically loving cheap in this game and rarely spend more than 100 dollars on a main weapon. I still have plenty of games where I get poo poo done. I would recommend staying with the low-tier weapons as you learn. The Winnie will help you with your rifle game, the Caldwell Rival will teach you how to shotgun. The Talon or Hatchet shotguns are also viable, but the Caldwell Rival is pretty forgiving.

This is where its at. I got the game during the free weekend but I've been playing with the big boys for a while now at rank 40.

I usually pick Winfield/Machete as my cheap option and still get fairly consistent results. Ran the gauntlet just last night with this loudout, actually. Attacked the last duo just as they finished a fight with someone else and took their pre-collected bounties for myself. You just have to try and tilt the situation in your favor if you're outmatched in equipment. Melee seems to be the great equalizer in this regard, since its so powerful and the machete is a bargain. Even the knife is good in a pinch.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Argument is probably moot anyway: https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap

Its not on the roadmap.

They've mentioned toying with the idea here and there. It's come up, and it would go a long way toward teaching newbies the ropes. :shrug:

If there's enough demand in feedback they'll at least address the issue.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
First thing's first: hunter titties.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hunt: For Titties

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Next: The Dank Sight

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Actually the female hunters have some interesting points of discussion.

Their character models will likely have some differential in surface area, and therefore the target will be. (smaller / larger - depends on how they look and where we're talking about)

I'm curious as to how they're going to do the hitbox (hehe "box") on them as compared to the male models.

As an example: If they have more junk in the trunk than the male models, you have a larger "lower torso" damage zone. Conversely, if they have a smaller upper body then they have a smaller "upper torso" damage zone which is worth more to a shooter and would make playing the females advantageous. I wonder if they will play with the damage factors.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure all games (outside of, like, hero shooters or whatever) just make the actual hitboxes identical between genders.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Mordja posted:

I'm pretty sure all games (outside of, like, hero shooters or whatever) just make the actual hitboxes identical between genders.

Voodoo priestess Tier III hunter superiority.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
from a programming perspective the collision boxes would definitely just be the same, yeah. if you don't do it that way you open up an entire potential dimension of crap where male models can clip through something in this specific way but female models can't (or vice versa) and it all becomes an extra maintenance/testing task that doesn't add much of anything to the game.

per the CM streams the big job in adding female models is getting good female mocap actors in and stuff. they don't want to just slap a female skin on the male skeleton and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Just seems to me that because of how the damage multipliers work between the sections of the hunter's body that you could gain an advantage just by virtue of having a major section being smaller.

Males typically have a much broader upper torso / shoulder area which has a high damage multiplier in this game.