Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Accordion Man posted:

Extreme Ghostbusters was another show that studio did and it was far better than it had any right to be. It was 90's as hell but in a way that actually worked out. The cast was good and the monster designs were genuinely scary for a Saturday morning kids show and were all pretty cool. It's honestly the best thing in the franchise aside from the original movie.

What I saw was pretty great. In that weirdly edgy but still kid friendly way. They had an episode with not-Cenobites which was pretty horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

catlord posted:

What I saw was pretty great. In that weirdly edgy but still kid friendly way. They had an episode with not-Cenobites which was pretty horrifying.
The Not-Cenobites gave me nightmares as a kid, it's kinda nuts that they essentially got away with a bloodless Hellraiser on a kids show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Accordion Man posted:

The Not-Cenobites gave me nightmares as a kid, it's kinda nuts that they essentially got away with a bloodless Hellraiser on a kids show.

Censors pretty much stopped giving a poo poo as long as you follow the letter of the rules a long time ago.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

catlord posted:

The Pied Piper episode gave me nightmares for ages. Something about the way he tugged his cheeks to transform his face.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It feels like an anachronism that any sympathetic character would have an IRA background, as the IRA today and for decades are just criminals who call themselves nationalists/flamewar

Certain parts of America had a really dumb romanticised view of the IRA for a long time. A lot of Catholics and Irish Americans in places like Boston were openly fund-raising for the IRA under the misguided belief that they were giving aid to a group of freedom fighters. There were even IRA-friendly people in Congress who talked about how "Protestants should leave Ireland in coffins".

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 15, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sweevo posted:

Certain parts of America had a really dumb romanticised view of the IRA for a long time. A lot of Catholics and Irish Americans in places like Boston were openly fund-raising for the IRA under the misguided belief that they were giving aid to a group of freedom fighters. There were even IRA-friendly people in Congress who talked about how "Protestants should leave Ireland in coffins".

One of those people Rep. Peter King is ironically the chair of the House's Counter-terrorism subcommittee and gets really angry whenever people bring it up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I remember this being the subject of a Punisher story.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I learned today they're finally pulling the plug on "The Big Bang Theory", which I never found funny and whose popularity baffles me. It's like the Dane Cook of TV shows. I wonder how it will age?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A girl I liked once said I was like Sheldon from that show. I just nodded and took it as a compliment. Two years later I actually watched an episode and realise she insulted me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

about as well as any other lovely popular sitcom, it's just standard lowest common denominator schlock with a very thin veneer of nerdy pop culture on top

one can only hope that one day comic book poo poo will become shameful again

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The BBT probably pisses off as many people who want to look up the subject of universe's inception as those interested in Henry Gray's anatomy of the human body.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

I learned today they're finally pulling the plug on "The Big Bang Theory", which I never found funny and whose popularity baffles me. It's like the Dane Cook of TV shows. I wonder how it will age?

I can understand people not liking a popular show. Hell, I despised Friends. Comparing TBBT to blackface minstrel shows, though, was a tad over the top.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big Bang Theory isn't good, but it isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It's not nice to nerds and is popular, so nerds don't like it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Late on the subject of intros, but Shameless has a pretty good one that feels stupider every year (much like the show itself) because they refuse to update it, despite all the adolescent characters being adults now and the baby being in kindergarten (and played by a different actor now).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

JediTalentAgent posted:

I noticed Monsters is on Amazon Prime and it's been years since I've seen any of those and Tales from the Darkside. I'd forgotten most of the episodes outside of a few, so I curled up, started watching a random episode I didn't remember to catch up on and... Well, that one episode I tried to start with didn't age well.

(The intro was GREAT though. The full make-up horror family getting ready to watch TV, a creepy melody playing, it's sort of telling you right from the start that these are going to be a bit light-hearted fun)

But the episode was (I think) "Portrait of the Artist". Maybe I'm getting hard of hearing, but it was nearly impossible to follow the dialog and the entire thing acts like there's a 'gotcha', but it doesn't have a payoff. The plot is probably based off of some old pulp magazine sci-fi story, which might tell the story better if it actually is the origin of the episode.

I don't even know how to describe the story without spoilering it too much because... There's a point very early on I was interested in the payoff because I don't know where this is all going. There is a better episode here, but God help me when I say this: I think the New Outer Limits could have MAYBE made this work with an extra 30 minute and prime rural Canadian woodlands and backroads to establish the setting.

Now there's this concern that a great deal of these episodes are going to be bad due to the fact they had to restrict themselves due to budget or content for the SF, horror, etc. genres being from that era of the 80s/early 90s where there were a lot of horror-themed syndiated shows, they were also going on during the whole 'satanic panic' and 'horror movie are corrupting our kids' movements were going on.

I've got mostly bad news for you I'm afraid. The show mostly didn't age well. There are some good ones in there definitely (my favorite episode is The Demons, and is a lot of fun) but the bad definitely outweighs the good. I get the distinct impression Rick Rubenstein wanted to contine Tales from the Darkside after George Romero stepped away, so he turned it into this show with like, half the budget and creative force behind it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
BBT will be like every other middle-of-the-road popular sitcom that no one from any subsequent generations will care about it except odd hipster like individuals. Syndication rights will finally wither down to ION channel showings at 1am and 2:30am weeknights.

It won't be timeless like Fraiser.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A girl I liked once said I was like Sheldon from that show. I just nodded and took it as a compliment. Two years later I actually watched an episode and realise she insulted me.

Someone told me I was a Raj, I assume that's the Indian guy, I have no clue if that's an insult or a complement.

Krispy Wafer posted:

BBT will be like every other middle-of-the-road popular sitcom that no one from any subsequent generations will care about it except odd hipster like individuals. Syndication rights will finally wither down to ION channel showings at 1am and 2:30am weeknights.

It won't be timeless like Fraiser.

So, it's the new Everybody Loves Raymond. I remember in 2003, that show was syndicated about as hard as BBT because my dad loved it, and now I can't even remember the last time I flipped passed an episode

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can understand people not liking a popular show. Hell, I despised Friends. Comparing TBBT to blackface minstrel shows, though, was a tad over the top.

There was an article somewhere that argued that in reality jocks like LeBron James, Terry Crews Kaepernik are role-models, while most high-profile nerds are creeps like Chris Hardwick and Ol Musky boy.

I had a point to make here, but I forgot, but I can say the worst kind of nerd is the one who regurgitates other media verbatim but misses the underlying message, ex. Ernest Cline

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Aug 24, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sweevo posted:

A pillar of the community around Albany passed away a few months back, and one of the things she was known for was fundraising for some IRA-associated relief organization. Bet it would have played out very differently if it were Hamas, instead.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone told me I was a Raj, I assume that's the Indian guy, I have no clue if that's an insult or a complement.

So, it's the new Everybody Loves Raymond. I remember in 2003, that show was syndicated about as hard as BBT because my dad loved it, and now I can't even remember the last time I flipped passed an episode

He's a creepy passive aggressive sex pest, just like the rest of them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He's a creepy passive aggressive sex pest, just like the rest of them.

gently caress

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, Raymond is still really good though. That and Friends benefited from fantastic writing. Raymond especially since it was so character driven and didn't use current events. Those will probably still be watched like Columbo and the Dick Van Dyke show.

BBT seems to focus too much on current events and pop-culture references that are going to be lost on anyone whose not a gen-X manchild.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mister Kingdom posted:

It is nowhere as insulting as Two And A Half Men but that is the lowest bar to clear. In the end, it is an okay-ish show that focused on a very specific subject and ran it way into the ground.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Eh, Raymond is still really good though. That and Friends benefited from fantastic writing. Raymond especially since it was so character driven and didn't use current events. Those will probably still be watched like Columbo and the Dick Van Dyke show.

BBT seems to focus too much on current events and pop-culture references that are going to be lost on anyone whose not a gen-X manchild.

That is fair enough because I remember Raymond being watchable, although 2 hour blocks 5 days a week wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Raymond will probably last longer than BBT, even though they're both very "tropey" sitcoms. Raymond had more genuine talent behind it I think. Frasier is definitely aging the best out of the lot, though.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
For future reference: if somebody compares you to any BBT character, then yes, it was an insult.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Clam Chowdown posted:

For future reference: if somebody compares you to any BBT character, then yes, it was an insult.

I mean I always take it as an insult, but I have no idea if it's intended that way from the person who does the comparison.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I read a tweet somewhere once that said
"BBT is to nerd culture what 50 Shades of Grey was to S&M culture."

And that's always sounded about accurate to me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sir Lemming posted:

Raymond will probably last longer than BBT, even though they're both very "tropey" sitcoms. Raymond had more genuine talent behind it I think. Frasier is definitely aging the best out of the lot, though.

That's because Fraiser is essentially a mid Edwardian Farce with a fresh lick of paint.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

the_steve posted:

I read a tweet somewhere once that said
"BBT is to nerd culture what 50 Shades of Grey was to S&M culture."

And that's always sounded about accurate to me.

People from outside a culture co-opting it poorly to engage people on their very hackneyed formula story, convincing people on the outside that's what it all 100% is really like? Yeah, sounds about right.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Krispy Wafer posted:

Raymond is unwatchable because every person on it is dysfunctional and they hate each other and it's like a years-long DWIL Nation discussion where nobody ever learns anything and nothing gets better. (Alternately, it's like every Estranged Parent Forums thread ever.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There was an article somewhere that argued that in reality jocks like LeBron James, Terry Crews Kaepernik are role-models, while most high-profile nerds are creeps like Chris Hardwick and Ol Musky boy.

I had a point to make here, but I forgot, but I can say the worst kind of nerd is the one who regurgitates other media verbatim but misses the underlying message, ex. Ernest Cline

Here's a video about the Big Bang Theory and misogyny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-hOigoxHs&t=527s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

trickybiscuits posted:

Raymond is unwatchable because every person on it is dysfunctional and they hate each other and it's like a years-long DWIL Nation discussion where nobody ever learns anything and nothing gets better. (Alternately, it's like every Estranged Parent Forums thread ever.)

There are aspects of the characters that weren't too bad, like when Ray finally blows up at his parents for ignoring Robert's accomplishments after Ray goes on a ride-along and sees Robert defuse an armed assailant at the pizza place they are having lunch at expertly. Ray tries to write an article about his hero brother, but his editor spins it to make him the main character which pisses Robert off, and in turn that escalates Ray's mood until he just pops - then Marie admits the real reason she tends to not talk about Robert's job - she knows it's more important than Ray's but she also knows that its a hundred times more dangerous, so she never knows if her son will come back or not day to day. They ignore it because it's easier than thinking about it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

trickybiscuits posted:

Thank you, these pro raymond posts were sending me nuts. The show is down right terrible and portrays everyone horridly. Debra the wife is an incessentantly bitchy stereotype who hates sex and shits on here husband at every second, the parents are just utter assholes to each other others for no reason and Raymond himself is an awkward selfish rear end who I never felt any sympathy for. The brother has the least character flaws apart from just being a broken person.

Fuuuuck that show.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Raymond is a traditional sitcom so there's no character arcs and we're always going to be dealing with Ray's same issues with his family. Occasionally there's an emotional breakthrough, but then it's forgotten about, so you can randomly watch any episode and still know exactly what's going on. Fraiser is the same way except sometimes Niles gets laid.

My wife is rewatching the entirety of Grey's Anatomy again and if Meredith Grey was a real person she would have eaten a bullet by now. If not when her sister got eaten by wolves then certainly after her husband died.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
She's literally cursed. Eventually they'll run a prequel episode where she fucks with a bunch of mummies or something.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Iron Crowned posted:

Are you South Asian? It may simply be racist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Are you South Asian? It may simply be racist.

Nope, according to my parents' DNA testing, I'm all but 1% European, and that 1% is "unknown"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Big Bang Theory is the longest running multicam sitcom in history. Frankly it probably costs too much to do any more seasons because I bet the actors requires a huge pay raise every year now instead of the normal raises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mu Zeta posted:

Big Bang Theory is the longest running multicam sitcom in history. Frankly it probably costs too much to do any more seasons because I bet the actors requires a huge pay raise every year now instead of the normal raises.

Word on the street is that they were willing to pony up the truckloads of cash, but Parsons was like "gently caress this I have infinite dollars and I'm pretty bored of this poo poo. let's wrap it up."