Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ouhei posted:

I'll take a look, macro lenses have always felt niche enough that I've never looked into them much before.
Maybe I'm a dirty amateur, but to me, a macro lens (not the MP-E 65) is just a medium-fast prime that has a much closer minimum focus distance, with the option of taking pictures of bugs and flowers. It still focuses at infinity (which you lose with reversal rings) and works normally at ordinary distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah the 50 1.4 isn't very good wide open, and with build quality, if you push down on the focusing element that comes out, it can seriously gently caress it up.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Is the general consensus to stay away from the 50 1.4? I had the first version of the 1.8 back when I had my 60D and while it was too tight for normal use on the crop body, I remember liking it as a portrait lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get a disposable /1.8 of you want cheap

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The STM 50 1.8 is very good.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Stay away from the 50 1.4 unless you want it to break just by breathing on it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Wonder if the sigma (non-art) 50 1.4 is any good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The thrifty fifty and the 40mm pancake are cheap enough to get without much worry on the budget. The 40 pancake may as well just be a body cap too.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I've had a T6i for a bit now and was planning to get some better glass and try to find a used full frame to go with it.

After a bunch of looking most of the glass I was looking at and used full frames cost almost as much as buying new.

Did a bit more digging and scored a New in Box 5d mkIV and 24-105 f4 for 3k. Was terrified it would be greymarket but lucked out and it was legit. Registered it with canon and even got the free 13 month drop coverage.

Do I actually need to buy a CF card if I'm not shooting video? Tempted to buy one do I can have duplicates of each shot but realistically as a hobby shooter I'm not sure there is any point. I have never had an SD card fail.

Is there a 128gb CF that is best for the 5d mk4?

I have a fair number of lenses but most of my EF mount are older film ones from thrift stores.

I'm looking for a bit more reach than 105. I have an old 70-210 usm that works but is non IS so I would like to upgrade.

I know the 70-200 f4 and f2.8 are great but seeing as I will mostly be using it outdoors in daylight and carrying it hiking I was wondering if the ef 70-300 f4-5.6 is usm II would be decent? They are only $360 in the canon refurb store and I have a feeling I would get more use out of a lighter lens I can pack more easily. I would love to get the 100-400 II but realistically don't think I would want to lug it around.

I already have a 40mm pancake and yongnuo 35 50 and 85 primes from my t6i. I'm going to look for deals on better quality primes but only plan on upgrading if I find a smoking deal.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

does anyone seriously know how to escape the pain of not being able to buy any good lenses because you're 16 and poor

because my yongnuo 50mm and canon 18-135 are starting to get depressing

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
1. A job, if you don't have one already, will get you enough to save some cash for cheap lenses.

2. Don't focus on expensive stuff until you can turn a profit taking photos (some people never do). Kit lenses and older used stuff are great ways to get a good range. The used stuff you can often sell for what you bought it for.

3. Lenses don't make a good photographer.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Good photos have been around longer than good lenses. Take more crappy photos and :justpost:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
All of what um excuse me said. Also look into old M42 lenses. You can get them super cheap on the 'Bay or at your local used camera gear store. and an EOS to M42 adapter is about $5. You will only have manual focus and manual aperture selection, but you can get some cool glass for way, way less money than native EF/EF-S lenses.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

yeah i know the casey neistat bullshit of like It's All In The Idea, Execution Is What Matters (Especially If You're A Palestinian) but i just feel like my photos are actually good but i'm not getting a technical look i'm happy with, like, having a lot of trouble getting the last 10% of the way there.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helen Highwater posted:

All of what um excuse me said. Also look into old M42 lenses. You can get them super cheap on the 'Bay or at your local used camera gear store. and an EOS to M42 adapter is about $5. You will only have manual focus and manual aperture selection, but you can get some cool glass for way, way less money than native EF/EF-S lenses.

i actually only ever use manual focus and actively prefer spinning wheels to stubbing at my camera's screen so i will consider this

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

landgrabber posted:

yeah i know the casey neistat bullshit of like It's All In The Idea, Execution Is What Matters (Especially If You're A Palestinian) but i just feel like my photos are actually good but i'm not getting a technical look i'm happy with, like, having a lot of trouble getting the last 10% of the way there.

Sounds more like a post-processing issue rather than a gear issue. Unless you want some of that Noctilux bokeh.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

alkanphel posted:

Sounds more like a post-processing issue rather than a gear issue. Unless you want some of that Noctilux bokeh.

it's mainly like, everything is a touch too soft, even when i play with the camera raw sliders to correct it - i want sharp subjects and softless backgrounds kinda. i've never been able to actually shoot with a great lens - the best one i have i think is the lesser often seen $200 tamron 28-75 f2.8. it has a gold band on it

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

landgrabber posted:

it's mainly like, everything is a touch too soft, even when i play with the camera raw sliders to correct it - i want sharp subjects and softless backgrounds kinda. i've never been able to actually shoot with a great lens - the best one i have i think is the lesser often seen $200 tamron 28-75 f2.8. it has a gold band on it

Well yes that could be a technical limitation with your gear then. Consider renting lenses to see if getting a new lens is a solution to your problem.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

landgrabber posted:

I'm assuming you've thought of this already so it's unlikely, but it could also be technique. Have you set the camera up on a tripod (or flat surface) to eliminate vibration?

If you're doing this test you could try once with autofocus (so you know what the gear is capable of under standard usage conditions) and once with manual focus via 10x live-view (so you know the sharpest image your lens is capable of capturing).

If it turns out to be vibration-related then you could read up on ways to adjust your hold, bracing and breathing to reduce vibration.

Anything else and, yep, it's probably the lens at fault. Of course, you can also fix vibration issues by throwing money at the problem and getting a stabilised lens.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

landgrabber posted:

does anyone seriously know how to escape the pain of not being able to buy any good lenses because you're 16 and poor

You could rent a nice lens instead of buying one. It's like $40 to rent a 24-70/2.8 for a few days. If you really like the results then you know what to start saving for. If your photos still look unsatisfying then you know the problem is coming from somewhere else.

e:f,b ^

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

landgrabber posted:

The 18-135 is almost all I shoot with and I get some great stuff. I've been putting my money into lighting more than camera's and lenses recently.

I've found the sharpest point of that lens is between 35-85mm and f/6.3-9. It's not the best portrait lens I must admit after having used a 50mm f/1.2L for a wedding but there are much worse lens you could own.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 11, 2018

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

landgrabber posted:

Post some examples, especially SOOC and then your edits, if you'd like someone to take a look and let you know if there are other factors going on that are influencing this you could fix without a new lens.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Ouhei posted:

Is the general consensus to stay away from the 50 1.4? I had the first version of the 1.8 back when I had my 60D and while it was too tight for normal use on the crop body, I remember liking it as a portrait lens.
A lot of people in this thread are saying to stay away from the 50mm 1.4. That doesn't make any sense to me, what-so-ever. It's sharper than the 50 1.8, it focuses faster and more accurately than the 50 1.8, and it doesn't 'break if you breath on it' as another poster stated. It's a good lens, and if you can find a good used copy of it, you can get it for a good price. Mine was $120 on Craigslist.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah but with the 50 1.8 STM existing I don’t see the point of it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sneeze Party posted:

A lot of people in this thread are saying to stay away from the 50mm 1.4. That doesn't make any sense to me, what-so-ever. It's sharper than the 50 1.8, it focuses faster and more accurately than the 50 1.8, and it doesn't 'break if you breath on it' as another poster stated. It's a good lens, and if you can find a good used copy of it, you can get it for a good price. Mine was $120 on Craigslist.

Say what you will, but it is a notorious problem that's been known for a long time. You can find threads on many photo forums of people detailing the problem. Google "canon 50 1.4 focus ring ".

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16809.0
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3234389
https://www.flickr.com/groups/74546655@N00/discuss/72157623726450111/

Mine broke from being left in manual focus in my camera bag and some pressure applied to the front element.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 14, 2018

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
The 50 1.4 seems somehow worse made than the 1.8. It has to do with how it feels in the hand, especially side-by-side with the 1.8.

The 1.8 feels easier/faster to use in manual focus mode. Both are Mickey Mouse level buld quality that will last a year or two, so why pay double the price of a 1.8?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

hope and vaseline posted:

Say what you will, but it is a notorious problem that's been known for a long time. You can find threads on many photo forums of people detailing the problem. Google "canon 50 1.4 focus ring ".

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16809.0
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3234389
https://www.flickr.com/groups/74546655@N00/discuss/72157623726450111/

Mine broke from being left in manual focus in my camera bag and some pressure applied to the front element.

Mine developed a spot past which it wouldn't focus. I could manually move it past the glitch, and it would focus inside that range. Then move it past again, it could focus outside that range. It's a known problem, and people who poo poo the problem because they haven't experienced it are not being really honest.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Anybody experienced back-ordering through Canon before? I bought a lens and a hood for it but the hood is back-ordered and I can't find any info on an estimate of how long it'll be before they ship it. It'd be much faster for me to just buy it on amazon but it appears I'd have to call up to cancel the order.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
So this is kind of a dummy question...

This is kind of variable, but I can't seem to find an accurate gauge for what a lightly used t5i bundle (18-55 and 75-300 stock lenses)would sell for. We upgraded to an 80D (which came with the corresponding lenses, etc), and want to earn back a couple bucks by offloading the stuff we're no longer using. KEH, ebay and amazon aren't a ton of help.

Is $450 reasonable if it includes everything except a memory card?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Beverly Cleavage posted:

So this is kind of a dummy question...

This is kind of variable, but I can't seem to find an accurate gauge for what a lightly used t5i bundle (18-55 and 75-300 stock lenses)would sell for. We upgraded to an 80D (which came with the corresponding lenses, etc), and want to earn back a couple bucks by offloading the stuff we're no longer using. KEH, ebay and amazon aren't a ton of help.

Is $450 reasonable if it includes everything except a memory card?

it depends on your definition of "lightly used". i bought a t5i back in march, body only, used quite a bit (mmmm, 5k shutter count iirc) for $270, which was considered a good deal. might be looking at $500 or $600. ebay's all about how you sell it.

don't under-sell your lenses, is the hot tip. bodies are cheap as gently caress and nobody cares about them. lenses.... lenses are expensive, they hold their value pretty well. i bought a used IS 18-135 last november (don't judge me; i'd just gotten back from atlanta which i shot entirely with a cheap chinese 50mm, brutally embarrassing myself in front of my mom in the process by not being able to zoom) and actually have it listed at the moment.... and it's very possible that i could get what i paid for it in the first place, minus shipping.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

landgrabber posted:

it depends on your definition of "lightly used". i bought a t5i back in march, body only, used quite a bit (mmmm, 5k shutter count iirc) for $270, which was considered a good deal. might be looking at $500 or $600. ebay's all about how you sell it.

don't under-sell your lenses, is the hot tip. bodies are cheap as gently caress and nobody cares about them. lenses.... lenses are expensive, they hold their value pretty well. i bought a used IS 18-135 last november (don't judge me; i'd just gotten back from atlanta which i shot entirely with a cheap chinese 50mm, brutally embarrassing myself in front of my mom in the process by not being able to zoom) and actually have it listed at the moment.... and it's very possible that i could get what i paid for it in the first place, minus shipping.

Body and lenses are clean. 12.1k shutter count. So definitely used, but not obscenely so. The kit lenses are ubiquitous, so while the body is not mega $$$, the lenses don't bring that much more to the table. I may as well try for $500 and can always negotiate down a bit I guess.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Body and lenses are clean. 12.1k shutter count. So definitely used, but not obscenely so. The kit lenses are ubiquitous, so while the body is not mega $$$, the lenses don't bring that much more to the table. I may as well try for $500 and can always negotiate down a bit I guess.

your username is destroying my life btw

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

landgrabber posted:

lol How so?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

landgrabber posted:

I did not pay attention to usernames until I read this and now my life has ended

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it feasible to find a 6D II in the US for around a $1k, whether used, refurbished, fallen off a truck etc? I quite regret not picking one up in HK where it's like $1.1 new for the body. Yeah the dynamic range is not what it should be on FF but whatever, for the price I'd deal with it. I think I paid like $800 for my 550D kit back then :(

E: gently caress me it's on ebay (as grey import I imagine) shipping from the EU for 1200. I probably would've bought it for this upcoming trip if I thought to check it earlier.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 24, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it feasible to find a 6D II in the US for around a $1k, whether used, refurbished, fallen off a truck etc? I quite regret not picking one up in HK where it's like $1.1 new for the body. Yeah the dynamic range is not what it should be on FF but whatever, for the price I'd deal with it. I think I paid like $800 for my 550D kit back then :(

E: gently caress me it's on ebay (as grey import I imagine) shipping from the EU for 1200. I probably would've bought it for this upcoming trip if I thought to check it earlier.

Do you need the mark 2? The original 6D is still around.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I hear the 6D Mk2 is barely an upgrade from the 6D anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Certainly not as much of an upgrade as everyone hoped, especially in terms of sensor DR and video, but still. It has a bunch of stuff I think I would like - flippy screen, dual pixel AF, GPS/WiFi, and since the Mk 1 seem to cost about $1k too, I'd rather not get a 5 year old model for almost the same price. Of course I don't really need that either, and could probably ride my 550D for a few more years until it falls apart instead.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'm with you, I'd pay extra just for the articulating screen and dual pixel AF for sure. Though if you don't really need anything at the moment, you may want to wait it out until Photokina? Even if you don't buy anything brand new that they announce on there, it could affect the used market somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For those of you dodging clown punches with Canon's latest beginner level mirrorless, the EOS M50, there is now a firmware update.. v.1.0.1 to be exact.

Here's the release notes:

quote:

Firmware Version 1.0.1 incorporates the following fixes:

1. Fixes a phenomenon in which some images captured with the Adobe RGB color space may not successfully transfer to a smartphone.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which some JPEG images, that were converted from RAW images may not successfully transfer to a smartphone.

No faster AF, no tweaks to 4K mode, just oh hey I can see the images better on my smartphoney. Sigh.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 26, 2018