Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's a spot you can kill the Drake easily, at the bottom of the stairs that lead up to its platform. if I remember correctly, there's a bunch of pillars or buttresses sticking out, so you can plink it with arrows, it'll fly up, send a fireball into those obstructions, and sit back down again. Shouldn't take long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Lockstone and Token of Fidelity, nothing you need.

How else are you going to join the Blue Sentinels, though?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How big of a deal is the bonus from the Merchant hat? Is it actually worth wearing?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

This set increases the souls gained by the following amount:
Cap : 2.5%
Robe 5%
Manchettes: 10%.
Trousers: 5%

mostly just the gloves

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It's mainly for speedrunners who want to rush the 1 mil soul memory to unlock the shrine without killing the 4 lords

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I actually hit 1mil on accident on my current run. The emerald herald actually has unique dialogue at drangleic castle which I never knew

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

heard u like girls posted:

This set increases the souls gained by the following amount:
Cap : 2.5%
Robe 5%
Manchettes: 10%.
Trousers: 5%

mostly just the gloves

I think he means the Travelling Merchant Hat, which increases item discovery. The only numbers I've been able to find are from Fextralife, which is normally a dubious source, but they seem to have done actual research, with links to their raw data to come up with "+25%, but may not stack with other gear."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What’s the item discovery stat in DS2?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s invisible and not affected by levels, only gear/consumable.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Does NG+ effect item discovery? It really felt like it did when I was doing my platnium run, but I would completely accept if that was just confirmation bias.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How viable is a sanctum crossbow build that primarily uses the special attack?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s a real strong weapon.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Should I infuse it with dark for pure special attack damage or enchanted so I don't lose too much normal damage?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wiki says dark infusion doesn’t add dark damage.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I hear it adds damage to the special attack only.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
iirc dark sanctum crossbow special attack does bonkers damage

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

IronicDongz posted:

iirc dark sanctum crossbow special attack does bonkers damage
it does and it owns

also

powerstance crossbows

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNXBrGd3Nc4

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Simply Simon posted:

it does and it owns

also

powerstance crossbows

poo poo dude you can powerstance them? This might be a bit less of a tedious challengr than I thought pre sanctum crossbow.

Now I just need to figure out which utility hexes I want alongside repair.

I killed the dragonrider, last giant, amd pursuer. The first 2 were kinda hard since I was still learning the playstyle, but I found a loophole for pursuer and killed him with 2 shots of what could technically be considered a crossbow.

My next goal is to get 2 heavy crossbows and get powerstancing online. I think eventually I'll have a dark sanctum crossbow and an enchanted heavy crossbow in the offhand so I can fire 3 kinds of bolts.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Two Sanctum Crossbows

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Use the Shield Crossbow. It's not very good but it's cool as hell

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

What’s the typical END target for a mostly melee build? Does any other stat increase stamina?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bogart posted:

Use the Shield Crossbow. It's not very good but it's cool as hell

Can't be powerstanced, but I'm 100% gonna try it out

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

What’s the typical END target for a mostly melee build? Does any other stat increase stamina?
20 is the END softcap. Up to that level, every point in END gives +2 stamina; afterwards (at 21+) every point instead gives +1 stamina. And 120 stamina (at 20 END) is perfectly reasonable even for the endgame. That said if you have extra stat points to throw around you can put them in END, but you shouldn't feel obligated to if you have other targets. SL 140-150 is reasonable for the original DS2 endgame, while 180-200 is instead usual for DS2+DLC endgame, so you will have levels to throw around somewhere.

That said, there is a set of rings (1st/2nd/3rd Dragon Rings) that give +HP/stamina/equip load like the Rings of Favor and Protection. Once I pick them up in a run they only come off my bar if I'm in imminent danger of acid, since they have exceptionally low Durability.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 24, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The build so far

Currently using raw Santiers +3. Building towards using the roaring halberd and hexes. I’m going to +10 my mace and probably slap dark on it too since the RH has shot durability.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 24, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

tweet my meat posted:

Should I infuse it with dark for pure special attack damage or enchanted so I don't lose too much normal damage?

Dark-infused will hit for over 1k damage with the special attack.

Look Sir Droids posted:

The build so far

Currently using raw Santiers +3. Building towards using the roaring halberd and hexes. I’m going to +10 my mace and probably slap dark on it too since the RH has shot durability.

Get more Vgr.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Playthrough is finally starting to kick off now that I can buy unlimited heavy bolts and my current crossbow is +6.

Made a concession that I'm allowed to use a kinda lovely melee weapon until I get the sanctum crossbow as an offhand utility for farming or finishing off enemies that close the distance, infantry axe fit the bill and I had never used it before. It feels a lot more fun with it and I still mostly use the crossbow.

I tried powerstancing crossbows and I was unimpressed, incredibly slow with a massive cooldown and very hard to aim. Will probably save that trick for big enemies with long openings. Next on the agenda is elemental bolts, a magic stone for the offhand crossbow, a darknight stone for the big gun, and to get down to the black gulch so I can start Shulva.

Paracelsus posted:

Dark-infused will hit for over 1k damage with the special attack.
Thinking about this post is going to be the only thing that gets me through the early game

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

The build so far

Helm bros :hfive:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe I read even part of this tripe

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

codo27 posted:

nice job , but hole

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Paracelsus posted:

Get more Vgr.

Any particular reason why?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

codo27 posted:

quote:

In one sense, it is a juvenile joke; in another and more serious sense, it is a territorial, gendered assertion of power.
:hmbol::hmbol::hmbol: oh come ON

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Any particular reason why?
Maybe not as much with a crossbow build, but I've posted before on The Vigor Issue (granted, that was for someone with 5 Vigor), but I think it's somewhat universal.

Simply Simon posted:

I get where you're coming from, I used to think HP is a dumpstat as well because "you're supposed to dodge everything anyway", and I also never quiiite upgraded my weapons well enough because "what if I find a more interesting one just around the corner and then I'm out of materials and grinding sucks".

However, 5 Vigor is really low, and there's a reason for why most stats exist ;). I had a huge revelation in my mindset though when after having played through DS2, I got two friends one after the other into it and both of them were just coasting through the game, and I was like "holy poo poo this boss used to kick my poo poo in, how are you already past that area?" and he was like "what's your problem, I hit him a bunch, dodged a bunch and he died :confused:" and finally I found out that he had like 40 Vigor and a +10 Katana because he had decided that he wanted to play a Katana dude this run and just used the first one he found. While I was there with literally half the health and a +6 weapon because I don't have thaaaaat many Chuuuunks.

Basically, don't be me, get some health, it's good for you. It just allows you more margin for error. The difference between survive one hit -> panic roll -> get hit again, dead and get hit again, NOT dead, get away, calm down, heal is gigantic. And that can be just two or three levels of Vigor. Going from being able to tank only one hit to three is enormous and does wonders for your confidence as well, because you don't have to back off and heal all the time or play suuuper cautiously always.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

codo27 posted:

I'm sure the Kotaku writer shoots him or herself in the foot by being overdramatic, but the sentiment is completely accurate. A disproportionate amount of gamers are loving lovely about anything sex-related, and all characters in games should be sexless mannequins until people can get better

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Maybe not as much with a crossbow build, but I've posted before on The Vigor Issue (granted, that was for someone with 5 Vigor), but I think it's somewhat universal.

Ah poo poo I was confusing vigor and vitality. Yeah I plan on pushing that now that I have the stats for my weapon of choice. I’ll definitely be at at least 15 before Iron Keep. I’m sure I’ll have levels to burn fairly soon. 40 DEX and 25 in FTH and INT are my only stat goals atm.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ah poo poo I was confusing vigor and vitality.
Don't worry, I do this thrice daily because it's not intuitive in the slightest and changes game by game. At least "Dexterity" and "Skill" are synonyms of sorts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, he's still barely out of starting class territory; Knight has 12 to start.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ah poo poo I was confusing vigor and vitality. Yeah I plan on pushing that now that I have the stats for my weapon of choice. I’ll definitely be at at least 15 before Iron Keep. I’m sure I’ll have levels to burn fairly soon. 40 DEX and 25 in FTH and INT are my only stat goals atm.
You're still in territory where I'd say the benefits of not dying so often outweigh a little more damage from scaling. Up through 20 Vgr you get 30 HP per point, so the next 7 levels in it will be extremely beneficial.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don’t feel like I’m dying a lot, I guess. Most of my deaths I earned from doing dumb rear end poo poo and a couple hundo more HP wouldn’t have saved me. I take your point though.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

feelix posted:

I'm sure the Kotaku writer shoots him or herself in the foot by being overdramatic, but the sentiment is completely accurate. A disproportionate amount of gamers are loving lovely about anything sex-related, and all characters in games should be sexless mannequins until people can get better

No, the headless manikins give me a difficult time already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

dobbymoodge posted:

No, the headless manikins give me a difficult time already.