Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKYLI-xaqG4

He did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gort posted:

Does anyone use the "attach air wings to this army" functionality? Is it best to make lots of 100-plane wings so they can most easily fit into available airbases?

I attach CAS and fighter wings to cover them, in addition to having fighter coverage over the area in unattached wings. I don't know for sure this is actually better. One thing I can confirm is that infantry with enough attached CAS (and air coverage for that CAS so it can operate freely) can wreck all manner of nominally "superior" units trying to attack them. Everyone has a plan until they get dive-bombed.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

He cheated by adding non-artillery support companies! After trying pure arty and failing against the loving Netherlands

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gort posted:

Does anyone use the "attach air wings to this army" functionality? Is it best to make lots of 100-plane wings so they can most easily fit into available airbases?

it's bad but better than not giving your planes any useful orders whatsoever. think of it as the air equivalent of a field marshal order that just points to the opposite border of the enemy country.

you can split air wings if you want and it is more efficient when air base capacity is a problem, but you won't need to in order to win the air war against the CPU. it really comes down to the level of micro you're comfortable with.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can someone give me a screenshot of what a good infantry division looks like

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Davincie posted:

can someone give me a screenshot of what a good infantry division looks like

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You forgot the heavy TD in that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Eventually I put all the relevant support companies into my infantry divisons, logistics, radio and field hospital along with engineers and support artillery.

Some good to start with tank divisions are like 2 or 3 tank battalions with like 3 infantry or motorized battalions. Make them bigger as you start producing more tanks and trucks.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
also having AA and anti tank support is great if you're fighting any great power.

It all depends on which tree you're going down though. I like engineers and recon companies on everything. And if i want to push, extra line artillery and support rocket companies.

On another note why is the italian tree so underpowered and poo poo? The only good thing is the air focuses.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I find the AI uses armour so infrequently that adding AT support to your squad is almost a waste of a slot, and a waste of production capacity when you could be building more artillery or supplies. Usually they do just fine when you unlock the infantry AT guns. Most games I don't even bother spending time researching better AT guns.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I prefer 10 infantry battalions instead of 9 so I fill the entire combat width.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I find that the only time AT is useful is if your France vs germany.maybe Poland vs Germany. They actually encounter armor early and cannot wait for the at guns to unlock.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

On another note why is the italian tree so underpowered and poo poo? The only good thing is the air focuses.

Because Italy sucking is the eternal meme of WW2.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Because Italy sucking is the eternal meme of WW2.

That said, the HoI4 Italy is extremely powerful compared to reality.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gort posted:

That said, the HoI4 Italy is extremely powerful compared to reality.

HOI4 Germany is extremely powerful compared to reality too.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Gort posted:

That said, the HoI4 [insert country here] is extremely powerful compared to reality.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The USA and USSR in HoI4 are not extremely powerful compared to reality.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yet AI Germany cant even touch AI USSR.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yet AI Germany cant even touch AI USSR.

I've seen plenty of games where AI Germany defeated AI USSR.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

I've seen plenty of games where AI Germany defeated AI USSR.
I have never seen it happen so obviously it is confirmation bias but even when like..trying a game as India and going rogue or playing as Nationalist China I always see Germany fail at the Stalin line at best - they usually never even advance into Soviet territory. :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

German AI succeeding always seems to come down to sheer coincidence and insane-level butterfly effects going on in the background. Like, Germany you should not be losing to the Sovjets when I'm pushing their eastern borders with a 100+ Chinese divisions and yet somehow you do.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

my favorite was one game where France kicked germanies door in and almost went all the way to Berlin only to then get wrecked by italy swarming over the Alps and taking Paris

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just had game where Mussolini charged into France and Nationalist Spain joined the Axis mid civil war.

What I deserve for trying the artillery only challenge.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ai germany vs soviet is in soviet's favor because it's one relatively simple front and thus just turns into a game of attrition

with the ruskies having infinite manpower and germany decidedly not

if the ai-battleplanner fucks off and leaves holes everywhere as it does tho then yea germany wins

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

German AI succeeding always seems to come down to sheer coincidence and insane-level butterfly effects going on in the background. Like, Germany you should not be losing to the Sovjets when I'm pushing their eastern borders with a 100+ Chinese divisions and yet somehow you do.

There seems to be a weird AI freak-out sometimes where one side goes completely nuts on the offensive, attacking with its infantry divisions and continuing to do so even when those infantry divisions have no equipment and manpower. Then eventually the opposing side counter-attacks the now-at-20%-strength divisions and pushes them back to their capital.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

to be fair the Alps require more effort to hold than expected. one area in particular can get attacked from 3 directions and since italy and germany have a ton of troops stacked up they can just attack it for like a year straight until the defenders run out of org and fall back. As a human I micro and shuffle units in and out, racking up huge kill ratios while doing so because if they break through that front is basically screwed just because of how few units France has

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Gort posted:

There seems to be a weird AI freak-out sometimes where one side goes completely nuts on the offensive, attacking with its infantry divisions and continuing to do so even when those infantry divisions have no equipment and manpower. Then eventually the opposing side counter-attacks the now-at-20%-strength divisions and pushes them back to their capital.

There are a couple conditions in the defines for the AI to decide if a front is strong, normal, or weak, which determines if they want to attack with those units, and if so how aggresively. These are basically just the average org and equipment levels of the component units. For whatever reason Paradox set it up so units have to be super low on equipment before it considers them to be weak so the AI will happily keep attacking until it's down to like 1 rifle for every 4 men before it stops to consider maybe things aren't going great - this is especially bad for nation's with a lot of crappy divisions like the USSR and China.

It was a lot worse before, when the AI wasn't as able to keep up on infantry equipment but I still think Paradox needs to take another look at it.

It's an easy fix to self mod but the game seems to be balanced around the way through AI plays currently so as soon as you fix it China and the USSR absolutely crush Japan and Germany.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 24, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I usually see AI Germany capture AI USSR without intervention. I feel like I used to see the Soviets just meatgrinder their way to berlin, but since WTT I'd say they win like, 2/3 of the time now. Usually while AI UK and America suicide units into unsupported naval landings to feed germany captured equipment.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I find the AI uses armour so infrequently that adding AT support to your squad is almost a waste of a slot, and a waste of production capacity when you could be building more artillery or supplies. Usually they do just fine when you unlock the infantry AT guns. Most games I don't even bother spending time researching better AT guns.

i usually dont build tanks myself when playing weak nations so again it depends who you are playing as. so AT guns is the only anti tank you'll get.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

AT guns also give you hard attack for taking on forts; they're not just for tankbusting.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wait, hard attack does things to forts? the gently caress?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Come the gently caress on, my puppet Guanxi Clique joined the Chinese United Front which got them out of being my puppet. The gently caress is this poo poo, Paradox?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Everything about Waking the Tiger is a glitchy mess.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Gort posted:

The USA and USSR in HoI4 are not extremely powerful compared to reality.

If they did that, they'd need to model the USA's internal struggles, bring Canada back to its former glory, and then buff axis minors and France to balance it all out.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

wait, hard attack does things to forts? the gently caress?

I don't know how it actually works but I'm going to guess that forts give your units hardness the same way tanks do, and so you need the higher piercing to overcome it. I may be using the wrong terms here.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't know how it actually works but I'm going to guess that forts give your units hardness the same way tanks do, and so you need the higher piercing to overcome it. I may be using the wrong terms here.

Pretty much. Units in forts get protected like they have armor/hardness, and piercing from AT guns can get through that for decent AT guns vs. lower level forts. Even against forts you can't pierce it's better'n nothing. This is also why it's a good idea to put AT gun battalions in Marine formations; coastal forts work the same way and an AT gun on the beach gets your boys further inland.

Note that AA guns *also* have piercing, and starting AA guns can pierce starting light tanks. Again, this can mean they're good to add to Marine divisions since the jarheads'll shoot em at whatever's handy; not just planes. Outright battalions of AA guns are very rarely worthwhile, but even a support company provides some extra oomph against stuff that dudes with rifles can't handle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

EdithUpwards posted:

If they did that, they'd need to model the USA's internal struggles, bring Canada back to its former glory, and then buff axis minors and France to balance it all out.

What was wrong with the US at the time? I get they had the Great Depression going on and an extremely isolation-minded population, but it still seemed stable especially when compared to France.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

buglord posted:

What was wrong with the US at the time? I get they had the Great Depression going on and an extremely isolation-minded population, but it still seemed stable especially when compared to France.

Well there was the Business plot that happened a few years before the game starts, when a coup attempt was foiled because the military strongman they chose happened to be further to the left than Roosevelt. A. Philip Randolph threatened to hold a Million Man March if FDR didn't do something to combat segregation. And there was Japanese Internment during the war.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fascists and communists bumbling around, FDR working like hell to implement the New Deal and keep his coalition together, a populace that had little interest in Europeans shooting each other.

The US was a beacon of stability compared to the trash fire that was Europe at the time, but there was always a bit of touch and go going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wonder which of those things will be what Paradox uses in Man The Guns for why the US is split.