Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

spog posted:

The irony is that vilnius is a grim city and about as sexual as a concrete bollard.
Well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

canis minor posted:

Don't know if it's dumb or is it genius: https://vilniusgspot.com/

Now that's what I call metrosexual.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Why couldn't customers use the bathroom?

Policy :shrug:

It was a small pharmacy and our only bathroom was a tiny closet deep in the stockroom which also housed mops and tools and such. It just wasn't designed for customer use. Probably an insurance violation too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Policy :shrug:

It was a small pharmacy and our only bathroom was a tiny closet deep in the stockroom which also housed mops and tools and such. It just wasn't designed for customer use. Probably an insurance violation too.

For some reason I'm now imaging Donald Sutherland narrating your bathroom in the same way as his Simply Orange juice commercials.

"No flashy upgrades...no version 2.0...just a tiny deep closet deep in a stockroom...which also housed mops and tools...and was probably an insurance violation. Simply a bathroom. Honestly Simple."

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

Genius if you aren't off put by the sexual overtones and faux tinder part.

Well said!

That surely can't be real, can it?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

canis minor posted:

That surely can't be real, can it?

It's a gag from Last Week Tonight, riffing on the Vilnius thing.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

spog posted:

The irony is that vilnius is a grim city and about as sexual as a concrete bollard.

Doesn't Lithuania have the highest suicide rate in the world?

(edit)

Dropped to #2, GG guys :smith:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

When I graduated for my MA, I opened the program and saw that Donald Sutherland was speaking. Holy poo poo, how did I not hear about this? Turns out the head of some frozen food company is also named Donald Sutherland, and was giving the intro speech for the MBA class. Boooo.

Back to bad trademarking killing your brand: there's a great episode of Kitchen Nightmares that illustrates it. In Baltimore, people call each other "hon" like "y'all" or "yins". Woman opens a restaurant and calls it Hon. Good move.
Turns out she wasn't interested in serving good food as much as selling tacky merch like mugs and t-shirts and bumper stickers with a "hon" theme. She trademarks "hon", and starts sending out c&d's to totally unrelated Baltimore businesses also using "hon". Bad move.
She turns to Ramsay for help, absolutely baffled as to why the community hates her. (Also didn't help that her food sucked and the decor was, well, a nightmare.) Ramsay convinces her to not only apologize but state that she was legally giving up the trademark on a local news station.

This reminds me of when this happened, a bunch of local papers ran with the headline ASHELY OLSEN MURDERED IN ITALY.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

For some reason I'm now imaging Donald Sutherland narrating your bathroom in the same way as his Simply Orange juice commercials.

"No flashy upgrades...no version 2.0...just a tiny deep closet deep in a stockroom...which also housed mops and tools...and was probably an insurance violation. Simply a bathroom. Honestly Simple."

Well I guess that solves my prior post about a mystery Sutherland ad on Pandora probably...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Vantablack...while this may not be a dumb marketing move, there's definitely something dumb about it:

Museum Visitor Falls Into Giant Hole That Looks Like a Cartoonish Painting on the Floor
https://gizmodo.com/museum-visitor-falls-into-giant-hole-that-looks-like-a-1828462859

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Choco1980 posted:

Well I guess that solves my prior post about a mystery Sutherland ad on Pandora probably...

First thought was the Avatar Pandora, then the Borderlands Pandora.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/PatrickGerard01/status/1031920228098355200

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe your mom shouldn’t have said that racist thing about Toontown.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Has anybody made the 2001 Monolith with it, and if not, why not?
Kapoor is the only one who's allowed to use it for art.

Hirayuki posted:

Speaking of Vantablack...while this may not be a dumb marketing move, there's definitely something dumb about it:

Museum Visitor Falls Into Giant Hole That Looks Like a Cartoonish Painting on the Floor
https://gizmodo.com/museum-visitor-falls-into-giant-hole-that-looks-like-a-1828462859
That's some straight-up Willy Wonka poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Anish Kapoor is insufferably up his own rear end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope he does a followup with a room full of black circles, only some of which are holes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He didn’t even put fæces-smeared spikes at the bottom of the pit.

He is like a baby.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Platystemon posted:

He didn’t even put fæces-smeared spikes at the bottom of the pit.

He is like a baby.

Chill out Nobunaga.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

For my next piece I will paint an extremely realistic-looking tunnel on a cliffside

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Anish Kapoor is insufferably up his own rear end.

"This piece is called 'hole in the ground' and thanks to the special ink used and my amazing artistic skills, I have painted something that looks like a hole in the ground"

*is a hole in the ground

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/PapaJohns/status/1033062371928035328?s=19

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

This was weird and uncomfortable

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they would have been better off not saying anything. People already know that Papa John's the pizza company and "Papa John" the person are not the same thing

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sooooooo. What are you doing differently, Papa John's?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I gotta respect art that can cause injury. There's a fun old Cracked article about that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RoboRodent posted:

Well, you see, we bought these cool new dog whistles!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was definitely expecting that to end with "taking this opportunity to introduce our new fried chicken pizza" or something equally utterly tone-deaf.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It was odd because it seemed to be reminding people that, yes local pizzerias exist and are probably just as convenient.

But I can’t fault the intent behind the ad. It’s also a direct slam on their founder. It’s the new Russian Premiere telling everyone how horrible the old leader was.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

For my next piece I will paint an extremely realistic-looking tunnel on a cliffside

I am reasonably sure i've already read news of cars slamming into a painted-on tunnel years ago, but i can't find it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RoboRodent posted:

They did kick out the founder of the company. Then they poison-pilled to prevent him from buying back a controlling interest. That's pretty different.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, I'm pretty sure that message is in direct response to Papa John the person making this divorced dad please take me back site

https://savepapajohns.com/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The founder still owns 30% of the company

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it's pretty much just desperate "please don't stop buying our pizza we're trying REALLY hard! We'll figure out something!"

https://twitter.com/PapaJohns/status/1033073321175396352

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

And they're supposed to do what about that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Phanatic posted:

And they're supposed to do what about that?

They can't do anything. So they're hosed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They can tank the stock until Stoppa John cries to please please stop reminding people you’re named after a terrible person.

Usually these things work themselves out because very public feuds between founders and their companies work out bad for both sides.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

HenryEx posted:

I am reasonably sure i've already read news of cars slamming into a painted-on tunnel years ago, but i can't find it.

I saw it too so I went looking. Turns out it never happened happened and how I'm sad.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mu Zeta posted:

And? He doesn't have a controlling share. What's the problem here?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Soysaucebeast posted:

I saw it too so I went looking. Turns out it never happened happened and how I'm sad.

Don’t let your dreams be dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And? He doesn't have a controlling share. What's the problem here?

Eating there might cause his stock to be worth more and people may not want him to get any money from their purchasing decisions?

Also the pizza is pretty mediocre?