Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Roguetech's got new mechs too, right? Models ripped from MWO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Mordja posted:

Roguetech's got new mechs too, right? Models ripped from MWO?

Wolfhound, Marauder, and Warhammer are new models, I believe. There's also a ton of variants for existing models or variants that just use assets already present. For example the Mackie (first mech ever designed) is just a larger sized Urbanmech. Battlearmor/exoskeletons are just tiny Griffon models.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Panfilo posted:

Wolfhound, Marauder, and Warhammer are new models, I believe. There's also a ton of variants for existing models or variants that just use assets already present. For example the Mackie (first mech ever designed) is just a larger sized Urbanmech. Battlearmor/exoskeletons are just tiny Griffon models.

I picked up a Stone Rhino that was basically a weird King Crab model. It's a little janky but it works

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Roguetech has a lot of cool stuff. But I cannot stand the changes to the combat. Is there any mods that add the bigger map, the war stuff and the additional gear/mechs without the combat changes?

I almost quit playing because of this but I'm glad I didn't. Get a EWar/flamer mech until you get some levels. Melee helps to because is has a good chsnce to knock off all the evasion.

DFA self damage is reduced with a piloting roll. I've had some success with a DFA gladiator with a high piloting mech.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I no lie want a mechwarrior game where you get stuck piloting a museum piece Mackie. No I can’t quantify why this desire exists.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

I no lie want a mechwarrior game where you get stuck piloting a museum piece Mackie. No I can’t quantify why this desire exists.

Or some crazy periphery noble making them from replica kits in some kind of get rich scheme.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

If you count heat Ewar is actually viable into the late game. I have an echidnea with a bunch of inferno srms,tag narc, and emp. It can keep 2 mechs from doing anything in theirturn, 3 if it's a hot map.

I just got a joetmugererrr or whatever it's called. I fit like 90 lrms to it. If my math is right I should be able to look down 4 or 5 mechs with inferno missles

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Yeah that Jogeymundor or whatever its called is basically the capstone of OP legendary mechs, its a 100 ton Atlas that lets you put pretty much any weapon anywhere you want.

Ewar is great because there are also ways to stack it as well. An ECM, Anti Missile System, Null Signature System and/or Stealth Armor is giving you a lot of protection against just getting hit period, and combine it with Haywire launcher, PPC debuffs, and heat weapons you end up making it extremely difficult for the enemy to get shots off.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Funny thing about it is that because it is a 100 ton mech, you'll actually see them on higher skull missions. But since it is a nearly thousand year old piece of technology its pretty much just a lovely scaled up Urbanmech with an AC/10 and PPC.

Speaking of which, it seems like all the low-tech stuff is just vendor trash, because outside of absolute desperation why the gently caress am I gonna give my mech a shittier 5 ton cockpit or an ICE engine that weighs TWICE that of a standard fusion engine?!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

How does difficulty variance work in RogueTech? What I want is to have the widest spectrum of skulls possible so I of course have appropriate difficulty levels, but can always throw some light mechs at a half skull mission even if I've moved past that stage tonnage-wise.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I don't think it takes into account tech level, so you can have comparitavely light forces to fight but they could end up being Venoms, Daggers, Erinyas, etc which are going to be really hard to hit and heavily armed for their size. Conversely, you could do a 4 skull mission with Mackies and pirate Vindicators tripping over themselves and cooking off their own ammo in a martian biome for an easy victory.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

novaSphere posted:

Does anyone know if the Hatchet is a flyingdebris/Alex Iglesias design or done inhouse?

It looks like an Alex Iglesias design - the faceting on the armour and cockpit, and the graffiti on the hatchet seem in keeping with the designs he did for MWO. I like how they've carried across the little knee flap things on the original Duane Loose picture.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Me, post DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3jFTzhdZF4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weebl is still a thing?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I have no idea but I hope so.

I met the dude once and he's as down-to-earth Yorkshire as you can imagine which seems strange for anyone capable of producing works like the above.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Man this rogue tech chat has me confused. I didn’t really keep up with battletech once we hit davion civil war because everything got stupid as hell.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
As much as the Mackie is (deliberately) a pretty crappy 'Mech for its weight class due to having a woefully low amount of tonnage for weapons owing to the extra weight of its primitive components, its 28 ton mix of weapons and heatsinks happens to translate perfectly in the TTG to a 75-tonner moving 4/6 and carrying max armour.

THAT 'Mech is fantastic, and can smash Marauders all day erry day without breaking a sweat.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Rhymenoserous posted:

Man this rogue tech chat has me confused. I didn’t really keep up with battletech once we hit davion civil war because everything got stupid as hell.

I am a big fan of 3025/3rd Succession war tech as well. There are other mods that don't jump it so far forward. Roguetech is really popular because it has so much stuff and now has a nifty installer as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's not too bad, much of the stuff is just further upgraded from previous eras. I put it in a few categories:

Extreme upgrades, which trade weight for space. XXL engines are super light but mean pretty much ALL your torso is engine and make the mech really easy to kill. Composite frame is like Endo Steel (frees up 5% of mechs mass) but instead of eating up 14 crits it halves your internal structure points.

Midgrades, which give a reduced weight discount but also take up less space. Not a straight upgrade but useful for min-maxing your mech.

Range based damage, which do less damage in further range tiers. These include heavy Gauss rifle (highest base damage in the game) Snub nosed PPC (most generous short range bracket of any weapon) and X-pulse lasers (better range than pulse lasers, same evasion ignore effect, does more damage close up but also generates the most heat of its size class)

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-battletech-update-1-2-0-release-notes.1115763/

A new beta, for the 1.2 patch. Lots of goodies there, and when combined with the upcoming expansion it's looking good for the future of the game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I know some people give Paradox poo poo for their Forever DLC model, but I loving love it. Having an excuse to keep coming back to games like Stellaris and Battletech whenever they add new combat is the best. Maybe if it felt like the 1.0 releases were missing major features, I'd be miffed, but that isn't the case in my experience.

Lookin' forward to hatcheting mech faces. I also wish they'd add a sprint into melee ability to one of the skill trees.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 23, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Skippy McPants posted:

I know some people give Paradox poo poo of their Forever DLC model, but I loving love it. Having an excuse to keep coming back to games like Stellaris and Battletech whenever they add new combat is the best. Maybe if it felt like the 1.0 releases were missing major features, I'd be miffed, but that isn't the case in my experience.

Lookin' forward to hatcheting mech faces. I also wish they'd add a sprint into melee ability to one of the skill trees.

I am excited for two more medium mechs in the pool. The game is definetely at its most fun when heavies are still rare and only an occasional sight.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xotl posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-battletech-update-1-2-0-release-notes.1115763/

A new beta, for the 1.2 patch. Lots of goodies there, and when combined with the upcoming expansion it's looking good for the future of the game.

Have they touched up the "you will basically only fight Assaults in the endgame, all mechs that aren't Assaults are thus worthless." issue the base game had?

/made evasion somewhat more useful?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

Have they touched up the "you will basically only fight Assaults in the endgame, all mechs that aren't Assaults are thus worthless." issue the base game had?

/made evasion somewhat more useful?
Yeah, my own favorite stretch was the span between "Both sides competing to see who can field more heavies faster" to "Heavies everywhere!... And not a single assault mech in sight"

Royal highlander owns. But it's the tipping point towards the beginning of the meatwall end.

I'm glad that the campaign at least kept Assault mechs actually rare and considered so much as one of them a big deal. We have any given random contract to cover the complaints of "Why wasn't the final battle wall to wall assault mechs?"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xotl posted:

2.1gigs, it's basically replacing the game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
A memorial wall! (specifically for Dekker, no less. They know.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So many choices...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alchenar posted:

2.1gigs, it's basically replacing the game.

from what I have read, Steam does not do delta patching so if any file is changed, the entire file is redownloaded. So download size to depth of changes doesn't track.

from what I have experienced redownloading a gig and a half every time a game I play hotfixes, this is true.

as an example if I had all my data packed into one 8 gig archive and I changed one texture path and repacked the file, you would download 8 gigs for me to change a path from \textures\robots\ to textures\robutts\

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Technowolf posted:

So many choices...

So you chose the Zeus part, LLs and AC/20 right? For real tho, I love Highlanders

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd go 3/Highlander 1/KCrab.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

I'd go 3/Highlander 1/KCrab.

3xStalker, 1xKing Crab, but I have made the Stalker into a pure LRM boat with 4xLRM15s, 6T ammo and an extra ton of armor.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

A memorial wall! (specifically for Dekker, no less. They know.)

The death-wish dekker thing surprised me as well

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Two crabs, two atlases. Got two gauss in the crab and some LRMs. Other crab is just AC20+++s.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Have they fixed that you cannot target legs when doing a called shot from behind yet?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Have they fixed that you cannot target legs when doing a called shot from behind yet?

Nope

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Psion posted:

from what I have read, Steam does not do delta patching so if any file is changed, the entire file is redownloaded. So download size to depth of changes doesn't track.

from what I have experienced redownloading a gig and a half every time a game I play hotfixes, this is true.

as an example if I had all my data packed into one 8 gig archive and I changed one texture path and repacked the file, you would download 8 gigs for me to change a path from \textures\robots\ to textures\robutts\

That's obviously not true, steam absolutely does delta patching. When there is a file to be updated, Steam first makes a copy of it, downloads the delta-patch and applies it to the copy, then replaces the original file with the patched one. Maybe there are developers that have hosed up archives that move everything when you change one thing but that's on them, not Steam.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:cripes:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Psychorider posted:

That's obviously not true, steam absolutely does delta patching. When there is a file to be updated, Steam first makes a copy of it, downloads the delta-patch and applies it to the copy, then replaces the original file with the patched one. Maybe there are developers that have hosed up archives that move everything when you change one thing but that's on them, not Steam.

If Battletech ships a 2g compressed archive of assets, would deltas work there? I imagine deltas are not useful for binary files...

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The idea there is that you are rewarded for getting behind a mech with hit options narrowed to the more-critical/less-armored ones. Agree you should BE ABLE to, but really if you're going after the legs then why get behind mechs? That didn't happen often on accident, when I played at least.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

rt4 posted:

If Battletech ships a 2g compressed archive of assets, would deltas work there? I imagine deltas are not useful for binary files...

It's unfortunately how steam does it for every game. It's really annoying when they tweak a tiny thing in basically every location. Enjoy when they do that on a 20 gig game.

pangstrom posted:

The idea there is that you are rewarded for getting behind a mech with hit options narrowed to the more-critical/less-armored ones. Agree you should BE ABLE to, but really if you're going after the legs then why get behind mechs? That didn't happen often on accident, when I played at least.

If you're pincering a mech and they face one of your guys, you'll usually have a rear shot from the other and if you've already softened the legs from range, it's better to finish off the busted rear end legs instead of starting on the fully armoured back.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RosaParksOfDip posted:

It's unfortunately how steam does it for every game. It's really annoying when they tweak a tiny thing in basically every location. Enjoy when they do that on a 20 gig game.

If you're pincering a mech and they face one of your guys, you'll usually have a rear shot from the other and if you've already softened the legs from range, it's better to finish off the busted rear end legs instead of starting on the fully armoured back.
Yeah going to the effort to flank an exposed leg mech only to find assault sized back armor could still make life rough for my overworked Grasshopper. I also really grew to like my thunderbolt I designated as my fat scout in my first run of the campaign until that special boy couldn't cope as much with postgame assault spam either.

The RNJesus giveth with DFA's from on high to show highlanders who the real DFA master is. The RNJesus taketh away by watching 2/3 of your machinegun fire swerve off in wild 45 degree angles when you attempt a called shot at their back.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 24, 2018