Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
I know that my biggest worry about the military industrial complex is its carbon footprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Moridin920 posted:

Nah all it takes is one time you overdrew and were broke as gently caress as the fees ran up to the max day by day (usually around -$500 or so) and then they kicked you off to collections

Something like that specifically would be a red flag for new accounts even if you were otherwise fine.

You probably aren't totally hosed unless your account was overdrawn more than $600-ish. Banks/credit unions know someone with a charged-off checking account is more of a risk, but they also recognize there's money to made servicing that market. A ton of midsize and larger financial institutions offer special checking accounts for people with hosed up account histories, usually with a set monthly fee, more limited overdraft offerings (which are bad regardless), and maybe higher fees for things like cashier's checks. If you absolutely can't get a checking account, consider opening a savings account with an ATM card - since you can't easily overdraft a savings account, some banks/CUs may not care about or even look at your checking account history.

Also, credit unions are really cool in theory but there's absolutely no guarantee one will be 'better' than a bank. The size of the institution plays a role- a huge credit union with 2 million members probably got there by focusing on explosive growth instead of member service. A bank that only has 2 branches and 30,000 customers is more likely to try and balance both. Alternatively just say gently caress it and open an account at an online-only bank since loads are popping up as Silicon Valley tries to disrupt finance or whatever.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Former DILF posted:

get a credit union

e: for real get a credit union if you dont already got one. this is not a message to the quoted poster, this is a message to everybody who doesn't have a credit union

ditch your bank motherfuckers

I've seen this advice a few times, and it seems so very meh. I don't know if credit unions are different where you're from, but here they are pretty much indistinguishable from a regular bank. Same lovely fees, same garbage interest. The only difference is it's harder to find a local branch.

Don't get me wrong, I hate my bank for being a bunch of lowlife scum who earn millions by gouging the lowest income people, but credit unions appear to be in no capacity better.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im always confused by americans when they talk about credit cards and stuff

you literally use credit?

A credit card here is just a card you store money on. I don't use cash anymore, almost no one except old people does in my country

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zzulu posted:

A credit card here is just a card you store money on. I don't use cash anymore, almost no one except old people does in my country

That’s a debit card, in America

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
But anyway

SerCypher posted:

Here is how it works.

Owner of the house contracts with management company to manage the apartment. Then Management Company finds a Tenant to rent the place out to.

However the management company demands a years rent in advance lump sum (so they can gamble with it) but the Tenant usually can't afford that. So they have to get a loan out from another company to pay the management company. Then the management company pays the owner of the property in lump sums every three months. For whatever reason this is all based on a 5 year contract.

So to break it down:
The tenant is making monthly payments to a lender for the years rent they had to pay the management company, if the management company goes out of business they're still on hook for that loan. No one knows what will happen if the management company does go out of business. That years rent will be gone, and both the owner of the property and the tenant will be screwed. It's a very weird way for the management company to get gambling money and hold onto it (since they only have to pay the owner every three months).

My wife asked her parents if they'd heard of it (apparently people are starting to complain about the practice on chinese social media) and they're like "Oh yeah we're already signed up to have them manage a place."

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Zzulu posted:

A credit card is spending money that you are borrowing ("credit"). Debit cards are used for spending money that is yours.

A pre-paid credit card is one that involves spending money that is "stored on the card" (as opposed to in a bank account) and they really only exist so you can buy things using Visa/MasterCard merchant systems (eg online purchasing), especially for those that can't get a credit account. Downsides also include losing the money if you lose the card (or at least the card number and pin), higher fees, and possible expiry dates depending on your country's laws.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Zzulu posted:

You have some terms confused. A credit card in Sweden is exactly the same as a credit card in the US, it’s even called “kreditkort”. What you’re thinking of is a debit card (bankkort in Sweden).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Do non-poo poo credit cards exist in the US?

I'm in the UK and my credit card has no fees for anything, just interest, which i barely incur anyway because i just pay it off instantly with a transfer from my bank account. I think my credit card has cost me a grand total of £5 in the 4 years I've had it.

When i say no fees, there are still penalty fees, but i can withdraw cash for free (home and abroad), there's no inactivity fee, etc etc

US credit cards sound like signing up to indentured servitude or something

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah there's something off about american credit carsd

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm in the UK and my credit card has no fees for anything, just interest, which i barely incur anyway because i just pay it off instantly with a transfer from my bank account. I think my credit card has cost me a grand total of £5 in the 4 years I've had it.

When i say no fees, there are still penalty fees, but i can withdraw cash for free (home and abroad), there's no inactivity fee, etc etc

Same here, I had the choice to make payments after a few months or have it deducted every month from my account. The few months option included having guarantees on my purchases by the creditcard company, we have pretty good consumer laws over here I just pay it as fast as possible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Propitious Jerk posted:

I know that my biggest worry about the military industrial complex is its carbon footprint.

I mean, it does sound silly, but the US military is so huge and wasteful that I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if the pollution it pumps out is more long-term disruptive than the countries it blows up directly.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

lol I guess ousting and executing the leaders of several sovereign nations and replacing their elected-leaders with puppet rulers and even attempting direct invasion is a "culture war" that is acceptable.

Cultural Marxism, on the other hand, a bunch of overweight teachers deciding to do one book over another this year on the English syllabus, is INTOLERABLE!!!!!!

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hell, I get paid for having a credit card in New Zealand. There are charges for the card for the year but I get $1 for every $90 I spend on it. And it gets paid off in full each month so I never pay any interest.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
Credit cards are generally fantastic if you treat them like debit cards and never spend money you can’t immediately pay off.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I've never understood how people get a credit card and think 'this is free money'.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I don't really understand why you'd use a credit card instead of a debit card ever

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

sebzilla posted:

I don't really understand why you'd use a credit card instead of a debit card ever

it builds credit score which helps you if you need to be approved for a loan or whatever.
Basically its like a hidden number that rich people use to judge how trustworthy you are and the best way to get a good score is to game the system by buying things on credit you dont really need to or want to and paying them back.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Credit score and for big purchases you can’t afford to pay for in one go. The advantage of a credit card is that you can pay the balance off over time. For people without a lot in the bank that’s really important—every month when they get paid they pay off some of the credit card balance. Unfortunately that means you’re paying interest too.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

sebzilla posted:

If you get scammed or have a dispute about something you buy online, it’s usually much much easier to claim money back if you’ve paid via credit card rather than debit card.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Besides the build credit thing (which seems to be kinda us specific), there are several other very good reasons:

It’s an interest free loan for a certain period (mine are 45 days, but that probably varies) allowing your own money to accrue interest

Fraud protection is better

I get free travelers insurance if the trip is paid with a credit card

If I buy a plane ticket and the airline goes bankrupt I get a refund from the bank

Cashback programs, various discounts, airline miles etc

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Get your signup bonus and move on to the next credit card while the banks use the same hook to prey unsuspected suckers into debt is the pinnacle of modern capitalism.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
hell I got a credit card out to get a full service on my car because it was overdue and I didn't want to half-rear end it. I paid it off inside the month and buried the card in a drawer but when you get paid week to week big poo poo like that can screw you over. Other things I have since used it for:

-a nice suit for a job interview
- paying big electricity/gas bills up front for sweet discounts

Its technically not super hard to use a credit card responsibly but I have the benefit of a solid middle class upbringing despite being broke as poo poo now so the benefits of having credit available are pretty obvious to me but those are learned skills that are actively hampered by the way credit is marketed to people

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
loaning money from non-family members

not even once

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

In the UK you gain a shitload of extra consumer protection by law through using credit rather than debit, and most credit card companies offer further insurance on purchased items.

Even without that extra protection I still use my credit card instead of my debit card almost exclusively because in the worst case scenario and my card gets stolen/cloned/hacked, I have a lot more time to get it sorted out than if my current account gets emptied.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Rock Puncher posted:

loaning money from non-family members

not even once

lol if your wealthy family members aren't more stringent and rigorous and arbitrarily idiotic than a bank

me, a sane rational person: "hey uncle bob can I borrow 800 to do a full service on my car? I can pay you back at 400 a month plus a bottle of something nice for interest"

any relative with money: "just lease a car from your cousin, mechanics are worse than the jews"

Jezza of OZPOS has issued a correction as of 13:02 on Aug 24, 2018

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Card skimmers/data breaches/etc happen constantly and pretty much guarantee that at some point your card data will be compromised. I'd rather have fraudulent charges on a CC than my debit card because it's much harder to be without cash than it is credit.

That said as long as you report fraudulent charges reasonably quickly (within 30-60 days) you'll probably get your money back, but it could be up to two weeks for the refund to hit your account.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Debit cards here have absolutely ridiculous fees if you want to use them frequently. There's no way I'm paying more than single-digit fees to keep an account at the bank. The account I have now is either really cheap or free, but comes with the caveat of 3 free debits a month and then there's a not insubstantial fee for using your own loving debit card. If I use my Visa for everything and pay off the balance every payday I don't incur any fees and Visa has that rewards program so I think I take only a small loss or break even on the 2 cent credit card surcharge per purchase.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calico Heart posted:

lol I guess ousting and executing the leaders of several sovereign nations and replacing their elected-leaders with puppet rulers and even attempting direct invasion is a "culture war" that is acceptable.
Dude just plugged “kulturkampf” into Google Translate, cut him some slack

yes I know that wasn’t the nazis, work with me here

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

If this shocks you, don't look up Shiro Ishii or Unit 731.

Austria is currently ruled by a party established by a former minister in Adolf Hitler's government. There were tons of former nazis in West German intelligence. Only a tiny fraction of Einsatzgruppen members saw justice after the war despite being captured. Operation Gladio. "Never again."

At least RAF got one of those motherfuckers. Then Horst Mahler became a nazi himself and went to prison again. lol

Well it's inconvenient to prosecute people if you want to use their data "MacArthur struck a deal with Japanese informant, he secretly granted immunity to the physicians of Unit 731, including their leader, in exchange for providing America, but not the other wartime allies, with their research on biological warfare and data from human experimentation."

And then you've got fun cases like the Laconia Incident where the USA bombed rescue operations knowing full well they were rescue operations and then tried to say Admiral Dönitz was at fault for issuing an order 'don't try and rescue people anymore because the Americans are just going to bomb you'.

"At the Nuremberg Trials held by the Allies in 1946, Dönitz was indicted for war crimes. The issuance of the "Laconia order" was the centrepiece of the prosecution case, a decision that backfired badly. Its introduction allowed the defence to recount at length the numerous instances in which German submariners acted with humanity where in similar situations the Allies behaved callously. Dönitz pointed out that the order itself was a direct result of this callousness and the attack on a rescue operation by US aircraft. The Americans had also practised unrestricted submarine warfare, under their own equivalent to the "Laconia order", which had been in force since they entered the war. Fleet Admiral Nimitz, the wartime commander-in-chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, provided unapologetic written testimony on Dönitz's behalf at his trial that the U.S. Navy had waged unrestricted submarine warfare in the Pacific from the very first day the U.S. entered the war."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

caedwalla posted:

Card skimmers/data breaches/etc happen constantly and pretty much guarantee that at some point your card data will be compromised. I'd rather have fraudulent charges on a CC than my debit card because it's much harder to be without cash than it is credit.

That said as long as you report fraudulent charges reasonably quickly (within 30-60 days) you'll probably get your money back, but it could be up to two weeks for the refund to hit your account.

Someone got my debit card number and managed to put a hold on the account for $800 once, and I called the bank and they were like "can't do anything about it, it'll go away on its own because it's just a hold lol"

In the meantime that's $800 of my real actual money that I can't do anything with for a few days.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Debit cards here have absolutely ridiculous fees if you want to use them frequently. There's no way I'm paying more than single-digit fees to keep an account at the bank. The account I have now is either really cheap or free, but comes with the caveat of 3 free debits a month and then there's a not insubstantial fee for using your own loving debit card.

What the hell debit card only lets you use it 3 times a month :psyduck:

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I just want to remind people MacArthur was an awful rear end in a top hat. All he good at was beat down and chased away peacefully protesting veterans from Washington DC. Him and 731 deserve each other.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

Someone got my debit card number and managed to put a hold on the account for $800 once, and I called the bank and they were like "can't do anything about it, it'll go away on its own because it's just a hold lol"

In the meantime that's $800 of my real actual money that I can't do anything with for a few days.

What the hell debit card only lets you use it 3 times a month :psyduck:

Sorry, it's actually 12. I just looked it up. I swear my old student account had some even lower limit. Anyway try going through a regular month without using your card 12 times and not carrying cash. The monthly fee for this account is $4, the next one up is $11.

Every time I have the misfortune of going to the bank they try and upsell me to their better accounts. It's always "but with these other accounts you're actually saving money!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've seen this advice a few times, and it seems so very meh. I don't know if credit unions are different where you're from, but here they are pretty much indistinguishable from a regular bank. Same lovely fees, same garbage interest. The only difference is it's harder to find a local branch.

Don't get me wrong, I hate my bank for being a bunch of lowlife scum who earn millions by gouging the lowest income people, but credit unions appear to be in no capacity better.

depends on the credit union, mine has considerably lower fees and way better interest rates than any bank I'm aware of. the APR on my credit card is 6% vs 15%-20% on cards from regular banks, and i don't remember the exact rate on the car loan I had a couple years ago but it was the lowest of any other bank I looked at.

there are definitely credit unions out there that are just as bad as banks though

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I knew your cellphone and internet plans were rape central, but I had no idea american consumer banking was this loving horrible

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I pay nothing to use any of my cards, the APR on my mortgage is 1.99% and the interest on my savings account is 2.05% :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dave Concepcion posted:

I knew your cellphone and internet plans were rape central, but I had no idea american consumer banking was this loving horrible

Like with most things there's some banks that are absolutely awful and some that are pretty alright, based on where you live and if you've got "good credit" (AKA are white enough). I haven't paid a bank fee in years and use my cards all the time, and at the same time I know people who can't get a bank account at all or pay through the nose for the privilege of using a secured credit card.

One way we're universally worse though is in bank transfers, which can take days if done in the standard way. But don't worry, for a fee you can use this premium service that your bank has partnered with to send money instantly!

e:

Dave Concepcion posted:

I pay nothing to use any of my cards, the APR on my mortgage is 1.99% and the interest on my savings account is 2.05% :shobon:

I don't have a mortgage but my savings account is up to 1.85% now and slowly going up over time (at least until the economy crashes again) :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anyway I got one of those automated emails from a seller begging for a review after buying a splitter cable off amazon, and this bit caught my eye:

quote:

As you know, one minute of your time can have a HUGE effect on us. Each time one of our valued customers leaves a product review a buzzer in our office sounds and we all get very excited. So would you please click the above link and share your feelings about this cable?

We even hooked up a buzzer to annoy our employees for your entertainment, c'mon!

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Basically most financial institutions are fine until you have an issue that requires any sort of assistance, and then it's a total crapshoot if you'll get it or not.

I say that as someone that has worked in retail banking at both CUs and banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

ate all the Oreos posted:

Anyway I got one of those automated emails from a seller begging for a review after buying a splitter cable off amazon, and this bit caught my eye:

We even hooked up a buzzer to annoy our employees for your entertainment, c'mon!

Do you know there is a little cottage industry that the sellers bribe US buyers with free or almost free products so they can leave positive reviews. Sometimes you don't even have to leave a review, just buying the no name poo poo (that's much cheaper on aliexpress if you don't mind wait a month) and it will bump its ranking on the Amazon search result.

I heard it from my cousin's niece so don't @ me.