Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There’s a few hours left on the Symbaroum bundle of holding, anyone have any opinions of the game? The artwork alone is really piquing my fancy. https://m.imgur.com/a/fqHJy

Edit: wait no, I was reading days as hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leraika posted:

What's being performed?
Uh, well, I doubt this is gonna mean anything much to anyone, but it's the unfinished sequel to Wolfgang Herrndorf's Why We Took the Car. And I do mean very unfinished, it's just a few fragments, so you pretty much can spin it into anything. I'm apprehensive but the man was a really good writer.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Tangentially relevant to the chat about Dungeon World, PbtA, and BitD-dressed-as-D&D from a few pages ago, Kavita Poduri just dropped the playtest document for Songs for the Dusk, which is her hopeful postapocalyptic rebuilding game using the BitD engine. Maybe worth a look?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Antivehicular posted:

Going to try and start writing up Invisible Sun for FATAL & Friends, now that I've got a PDF of my misprinted book and have read the whole thing.

You have to do an unboxing for it as part of the F&F, should be gloriously stupid.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah DCC is a great game with great support, both official and third party, also the book is gorgeous and huge(and the softcover edition is fairly cheap on Amazon)

Only real issue is that it can be a bit of a pain finding the special dice for it for a decent price

I heard they had a dice roller app and that seems like it sort of misses the point.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DalaranJ posted:

You have to do an unboxing for it as part of the F&F, should be gloriously stupid.

I heard they had a dice roller app and that seems like it sort of misses the point.

It's actually a really nice app, especially since it includes some other stuff besides just a dice roller

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

DalaranJ posted:

Unboxing photos are in the can and will be the first post. I've just been holding off because my copy of the first rulebook is misbound, missing a chunk of pages from an early chargen chapter, and I didn't want to make a post or two and then pause indefinitely. MCG just put out a PDF of that book, though, so... whoo?

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Only real issue is that it can be a bit of a pain finding the special dice for it for a decent price

I usually point people at Impact! Miniatures. Looks like it's $5 flat shipping in the US. Alternatively, I also usually mention The Crawler's Companion, a free DCC app (web, iOS, Android) that handles all the weird DCC dice. As a bonus, it also has all the spell tables, crit tables, rules references, and a bunch of other stuff.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There’s a few hours left on the Symbaroum bundle of holding, anyone have any opinions of the game? The artwork alone is really piquing my fancy. https://m.imgur.com/a/fqHJy

Edit: wait no, I was reading days as hours.

I have most of the line. The setting is quite cool, and offers some good opportunities for different game types, including urban adventures and wilderness/dungeon exploration. Unfortunately, important setting information is spread out between the various books, including in the adventures.

The art is wonderful.

The rules are...basically fine. It's a roll under system using a D20 and only the players roll. There are some issues with certain character builds being impossible to damage—which is more or less of a problem, depending on the kind of game you are playing.

The adventures are not very good, in my experience. They tend to be extremely railroady, and some feature a lot more combat than I think is reasonable, and the encounters can be repetitive. The underlying stories are cool but need some work from the GM.

I've been using the setting (and the big adventure path), but using the rules from Shadow of the Demon Lord recently.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

What's the plan for the weekend? I'm driving to Loch Ness. Gonna catch a monster.

Wedding (not mine) on Saturday. Gloomhaven (mine) on Sunday.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

I think modeling it on scroller type beat-em ups would be a more effective model for RPGs. Having enemy archetypes for most enemies, and named bosses that could appear multiple times. This allows the players to become familiar with some matchups but occasionally be thrown a surprise.

The other would be a more structured campaign. You fight almost entirely Orcs in this campaign and get good at predicting them!

As with most RPGs, enemies should be less powerful than the players, or at least have less options.

The upsides to this is that both the olayers and enemies will get better at fighting each other the more it happnens, since they'll be encountering each other so often. The downside is it lacks variety.

A nice part of Gloomhaven is that you feel like you're getting better as a player and not just a character, since you learn what enemies can and can't do over the course of your campaign. Like you might barely scrape by the first time you encounter Rending Drakes but the next time you can remember some of the cards they use and play appropriately

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We played Gloomhaven last night. We're about to retire our first character (next session!) and I'm giddy.

I never want to retire my big rock man, though. The class just feels dynamic, with how I can reshape the battlefield.

Also I very much feel like there's tons of potential for something like the modifier decks in an RPG.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Gloomhaven has really kicked my rear end into thinking critically and tactically to a point I'd never really done so before. Getting slammed in the first mission 2-3 times really made me pay attention.
Great game though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I really want to play Gloomhaven but I made the mistake of ordering from a seller on Amazon who “shipped” early, said it was a pre order, and proceeded to just not send anything, even after new copies got sent out. I got a refund, but I really wish I had got the game instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Tonight is Pathfinder, Saturday is Pathfinder 2e. In between is the new WoW expansion.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I adopted a quasit tonight. :3:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I adopted a quasit tonight. :3:

what, like irl

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve already got a black, toothy monster snacking on kibble back in my real apartment, thank you.

I’m really hoping I get a chance to run Dungeon World with this group at some point. They seem like they’d be into it, and I find GMing a bit more fun than playing.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 24, 2018

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

remusclaw posted:

I really want to play Gloomhaven but I made the mistake of ordering from a seller on Amazon who “shipped” early, said it was a pre order, and proceeded to just not send anything, even after new copies got sent out. I got a refund, but I really wish I had got the game instead.

That sucks :(

If you really do want to try it out, I can recommend Tabletop Simulator for it. There are workshop copies of the game that are amazing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spiteski posted:

Gloomhaven has really kicked my rear end into thinking critically and tactically to a point I'd never really done so before. Getting slammed in the first mission 2-3 times really made me pay attention.
Great game though.

Mission 1 is intended to be a big giant punch in the balls from the first room. That's when you realize truths like "there is no tanking, really, in this game" and "huh enemies almost always do at least some damage if you let them and rarely miss outright" and "probably a scoundrel should not just run into the middle of the room early on the first turn because they will have to LOSE TWO CARDS, STEVE."

We only lost it once, but yeah. It made a lasting impression.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My group lost Scenario 13 3 times, twice when I was away and once back with the 4-character party. BEARS

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I didn't see a good thread for it. Is there a good system for using generic models in a warhammer-like format?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I didn't see a good thread for it. Is there a good system for using generic models in a warhammer-like format?

Kings of War.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I did get to play exceed season 2 tonight and drat it was fun.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

So I did get to play exceed season 2 tonight and drat it was fun.

Having played against people using both S1 and S2, season 2 seems like the superior set all around. The characters seem like they're better differentiated and the way Exceed transformations work as sidegrades or style shifts rather than plain powerups is a lot more interesting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Season 2 is fantastic and shows a lot of lessons learned from both Season 1 and BattleCON. The balance is pretty well-tuned and it has a lot more varied and interesting mechanics.

It's probably my favorite Level 99 product so far and that's a fairly high bar.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I think I also just picked characters I enjoyed the concepts of that were really straight forward. Lightning Lass and Not-Akuma.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

Hi there! Bob from Wildfire here.

First off, we don't have a firm date for the Kickstarter, the campaign is being hashed out as we speak. As soon as we have dates, we'll be letting everyone know.

The dev team has definitely been quite for a while - when we released our previews for the second edition, there was a lot more negative feedback than positive, so we went all the way back to the drawing board, and have been hard at work on the game ever since. Framewerk has been completely rewritten, with an entirely new dice mechanic and task resolution system. We've also updated the feel of the game to be more heroic, since we got feedback that the grimdark and squick of the setting was a little much.

The core book will be focused on playing a Tager, with mecha coming later in their own core. There's a raft of new races and options as well, so the experience is far more customized than in the first edition of the game. The timeline is post-"Burning Horizons", so the Migou Hemorrhagic Virus has hit, the space colonists have contacted Earth, etc.

I've written a set of developer diaries that we'll start posting to our Facebook, giving overviews of some of the changes made and the decisions behind them.

I look forward to finding out how much of this actually turns out to be true, if it ever actually sees the light of day.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"The grimdark and squick" is a fantastically nondescript way of saying "our last edition had literal Nazi rape machines in it." Honestly I didn't even know a Cthulhutech 2E was even still happening, so I guess the feedback they got must have been pretty negative after all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I've been hearing good things about one of Osprey's newest games Gaslands, anyone here given it a try?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
CthulhuTech is coming back, you say?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

"our last edition had literal Nazi rape machines in it."

What?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Does the machine rape nazis?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No, it's a Nazi-made machine that rapes people put in it. :geno:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

fool_of_sound posted:

Kings of War.

This only high fantasy or would it work for something like 40k or traditional war?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

That Old Tree posted:

I look forward to finding out how much of this actually turns out to be true, if it ever actually sees the light of day.

Oh, now they're admitting that they got negative feedback and taking it into account instead of pulling a WELL ACTUALLY WE CTRL+F'D RAPE AND IT CAME UP ONLY A FEW TIMES SO STOP CALLING IT THE RAPE GAME?

I'm not sure if I'm more miffed at that or amazed at the fact that they apparently didn't learn anything from the first go-round.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For a setting that's meant to be Cthulhu+Evangeleon they managed to include far, far more rape than either so much as alluded to.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a setting that's meant to be Cthulhu+Evangeleon they managed to include far, far more rape than either so much as alluded to.

Rape + Rape = Rape2???

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You just know some fuckhead on their team went “but that’s my favorite part!”.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

You just know some fuckhead on their team went “but that’s my favorite part!”.

Always the rapist, never the raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Setting issues aside (and there are a ton, don't get me wrong, but most of them are in splats) I feel like honestly another huge, unignorable problem with CT was that the math was absurdly stupid even at a cursory glance - like an entire book based off that Mearls tweet where he accidentally invented flipping a coin except with multiple dice rolls involved.