Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Once you’ve seen a new boss you can fight it in the practice room. You have to actually clear the pantheon to get to experience the other new bosses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So It Goes posted:

I really hope someone mods the ability to fight stuff like sisters of battle and winged nosk and pure vessel without dealing with the pantheons. The new and remixed bosses are the gem of the new content and I basically can’t actually do it without suffering the tedium that is restarting super difficult boss rushes. I’m kinda surprised they implemented real content that is gated only to those players who post “NKG hitless, no charms” videos. Hell, even unlocking sly just wasn’t fun to do in my opinion.

I don’t want the pantheons removed necessarily and don’t harbor a grudge for people who enjoy grinding 15 minute gauntlets but I’m “disappointed” I can’t really enjoy the new content without doing something I don’t like. Hopefully a mod will save me by just putting all the bosses unlockable and people that want to do the 5th pantheon can go do it. Or even if the mod literally adds checkpoints. Yeah it would be easy then but for me it’s fun for the challenge to come from the bosses and not from the fact it’s the 10th boss I’m a row you fought and oh go restart 15 minutes ago. It would’ve been easy to make no checkpoints a binding for people who want that experience and think that is fun.

I'm with you. I'm giving up on even the third pantheon because I'm just not having fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Holy cow, massive spoilers beating Absolute Radiance gives you a new animated ending. Did I just turn into the pale king in the end? What the gently caress? I'm trying to wrap my head around the Hornet stinger as well. Did the old Hollow Knight get saved in the process?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The greatest prize is gotten from getting 57 or more in Endless Ordeal

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Holy cow, massive spoilers beating Absolute Radiance gives you a new animated ending. Did I just turn into the pale king in the end? What the gently caress? I'm trying to wrap my head around the Hornet stinger as well. Did the old Hollow Knight get saved in the process?

More then that I'm horrified at the implications of what those bugs with the voided eyes must have gone through you see throughout the game. Those poor mofos. Hell I think the poor guy was making muffled panicking noises at the end. And It did feel like that giant void creature was wrymm didn't it and by destroying the radiance there it stopped the coruption.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Wait they actually put an entire ending behind something that without exaggeration less than 1% of the player base will ever unlock? That sure is an interesting design choice...

It’s so strange to me cause I felt like they had the rewards for that type of stuff right before. Beating path of pain gets frivolous lore, not “content”. Beating Zote 10 times gets a golden statute that marks you did it. They even made NKG literally optional to get the old 107% with the banishment option. Speed runs and steel soul get achievements. Trial of the Fool gets a journal entry essentially. But now to get an entire ending and animated cinematic you’re supposed to beat upgraded versions of every boss in the game within a single life and no checkpoints? Lol. Does beating every boss in one hit kill mode also unlock the forest of bones while you’re at it?

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 24, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ascending to Godhood should take some effort. :colbert:

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Yes it should and achieving it should get you a golden statute or an achievement or a minor lore thing, not new bosses or an entire ending or anything else that could be reasonably described as actual “content” that you don’t get to play or experience without grinding 30 minute gauntlet runs for hours.

My biggest gripe is they did this right in the past with stuff like path of pain, and I say this as someone who literally beat the path of pain but it didn’t need to gate a new boss or ending at the end of it. You do it cause it’s fun but people that don’t enjoy it don’t just lose out on new and cool bosses or whatever.

It’s interesting to think that one guy earlier had an issue with not getting rewards and I basically have the opposite issue where I don’t want legitimate content rewards behind the equivalent of a weapon-style jrpg superboss.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

So It Goes posted:

Yes it should and achieving it should get you a golden statute or an achievement or a minor lore thing, not new bosses or an entire ending or anything else that could be reasonably described as actual “content” that you don’t get to play or experience without grinding 30 minute gauntlet runs for hours.

My biggest gripe is they did this right in the past with stuff like path of pain, and I say this as someone who literally beat the path of pain but it didn’t need to gate a new boss or ending at the end of it. You do it cause it’s fun but people that don’t enjoy it don’t just lose out on new and cool bosses or whatever.

It’s interesting to think that one guy earlier had an issue with not getting rewards and I basically have the opposite issue where I don’t want legitimate content rewards behind the equivalent of a weapon-style jrpg superboss.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I was sort of concerned about this myself. I love this game to pieces but I definitely do not have enough time in my life to git gud enough to see the that ending. I was fine with skipping the PoP for the same reason, but the odds of me being able to complete that are astronomically higher than 100%ing Godmaster. I wonder if they'll make adjustments given the "less than 1% of players will ever see all the content" thing. If they don't, I suppose there's always YouTube. :shrug:

I do like the ability to refight any boss in the game on demand, though. And the aesthetic of the new zones is spot on, as always. I hope I at least manage to fight the Sisters of Battle!

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Anyone posting something like this should actually beat the fifth pantheon and post proof first. Then say how long it took to do it and how much fun it was to fight uumuu the 30th time after dying to the radiance 25 minutes into a run and during hour 15 of grinding runs.

e: gently caress me I guess for being fine beating NKG but not being interested in beating NKG but also every other boss (with upgrades) in the same life. Again I wouldn’t even complain about it if it wasn’t gating a literal ending and new bosses. The same way I don’t complain about steel soul even though it doesn’t interest me either.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 24, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Barely 10% of players have beaten basic Grimm, and less than 5% have beaten NKG, so I don’t think they’re too worried about the accessibility here.

This is definitely going to be something I pick away at for months whenever I have the time, like the Trials. The first Pantheon wasn’t too bad but loving Gorb, of all things, kept tripping me up. I don’t have a good feeling about the second.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
2nd trial was honestly easier than the first, go for it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I haven't tried the new content yet but my initial reaction echoes the sentiments of the more complain-y people here. I don't think that hiding half a dozen or more significant bosses that would likely be fun to fight in their own right behind a boss rush is a good thing. But they've already leaned in that direction with the Zote and White Defender stuff allowing refights and getting harder as you go and all. It's not a surprising development for me. But I probably won't be dropping my current playthrough of Xenoblade 2 to rush towards this new content, in my opinion.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i get why people would be annoyed, because the game has been pretty consistent in its design up to this point that the super hard content is optional and the rewards for doing so minimal, so having actual rewards behind this super hard content is a departure from that.

that being said, having bonus material locked behind the super secret extra dungeon that only 1% of players will complete has been a videogame paradigm since time immemorial, it is not shocking nor offensive to me that this game has implemented it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the new ending is still just optional, you can still finish the game the good old way, so in my opinion, they aren't really gating any content that affects the main story.
I like having something "significant" as a carrot to aim for, even if I'll never reach it. I think the reward for doing this is perfectly fine, myself.

I'm also having a lot of fun with the boss refights, even if I haven't had time to reach far into the fifth pantheon just yet.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd be more inclined to beat this DLC if it was new content instead of just a boss rush

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The new content is in the boss rush

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The boss rush is really just the friends we made along the way.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wouldn't have minded if the new bosses were just sprinkled across the game like previous updates, and there's a small reward like an extra notch or something like Salubras blessing, and the boss rush was a fun extra you could play independent of your save. Here though getting 112 is an enormous pain as the last 5 is a huge amount of grinding though bosses in harder circumstances. I've hated mandatory boss-rushes ever since the end of Rogue Galaxy where the last boss had ten phases and if you died at any point then gently caress you, start over.

Imagine if you had to beat those two tigers in DS2 if you wanted the crown.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Well, the new ending is still just optional, you can still finish the game the good old way, so in my opinion, they aren't really gating any content that affects the main story.
I like having something "significant" as a carrot to aim for, even if I'll never reach it. I think the reward for doing this is perfectly fine, myself.

I'm also having a lot of fun with the boss refights, even if I haven't had time to reach far into the fifth pantheon just yet.

i mean i'm right there with you but i would definitely qualify the reward as a bit more substantial than say, the path of pain's single journal entry saying "wow why did you do the path of pain"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So It Goes posted:

Wait they actually put an entire ending behind something that without exaggeration less than 1% of the player base will ever unlock? [/spoiler]

that seems like a pretty big exaggeration

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

"I'm deeply disappointed that this free DLC pack was made available to people who just wanted more stuff to do."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the idea was just to give endless content for the people who wanted it. It feels a little weird to have the game go from "there's literally nothing to do after a certain point" to "you will never ever finish this content" but I like it. I'd much prefer having had access to this content immediately after I beat the radiance so I'm glad it's in the base game, experiencing it as episodic content is probably the worst way to enjoy it unfortunately.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Yeah, I'm not super mad irl or anything. I knew longgg ago I wouldn't be completing everything in the game with Steel Soul mode, and the speedrun scene isn't my thing either. I can't wait to see some truly dedicated players put their runs up for watching, and not being able to replicate even a small fraction of what they can do doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the game in the slightest. In fact, I'm mostly poking around seeing when someone's going to get the sprites ripped from Godmaster so I can finally finalize the little HK tattoo I want. :3:

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Augus posted:

that seems like a pretty big exaggeration

You actually think more than 1% of the player base will beat a gauntlet of doing upgraded versions of every boss in the game within a life? Is there a steam achievement for the fifth pantheon? That would allow a way to check and I’d be stunned if the number doesn’t end up being somewhere around there.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 24, 2018

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I could be missing something here but you don’t think an entire ending change is real content? I mean the radiance ending is optional by your definition but it’s real content that is being gated by the radiance and associated tasks. IMO those are all completely reasonable for a true ending path, as opposed to beating upgraded versions of every boss in the game within a life.

Some of the posts make to sound like they view this at the same difficulty level of secret bosses in rpgs or whatever and it really isn’t. Am I just crazy for thinking “hard versions of every boss in a row” is asking a poo poo load more than most games optional dungeons. It’s certainly more than NKG or path of pain and it actually provides an ending change that those don’t. Part of the issue is the time commitment to make a run. Celeste C sides are probably as hard in a vacuum but they don’t require optimal play for 30 minute increments, and they don’t unlock a different ending.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 24, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
why are you so upset about not wanting to spend the time to unlock a thing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 24, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cool how you've decided to spoil me and everyone else on this thing because you're upset about it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gosh I'm sorry for mentioning the new thing.
It's weird, it's tough but it's all doable. It'll just take time and I believe in you :shobon:

That isn't me being snarky or anything- I know it's unreasonably hard and I agree that it's excessive and the new Uumuu fight is rear end but it is possible. Honestly I'd advise just taking a break midway through the run. Maybe multiple. My nerves get all shaky when doing boss rushes in any game I play so it genuinely helps if I take a good couple minutes to cool myself down.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Cool how you've decided to spoil me and everyone else on this thing because you're upset about it.

My apologies and I have edited accordingly.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

No Wave posted:

why are you so upset about not wanting to spend the time to unlock a thing.

Unlock “a thing” is one way to frame what you are unlocking I suppose. A very disingenuous way but hey. “Spend time” is also another way to frame what you are doing I suppose.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I dunno I think it's about on par with the other content packs quality-wise :shrug:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I Said No posted:

I dunno I think it's about on par with the other content packs quality-wise :shrug:

I don't think he's saying it's low quality. Just that it's way too hard.

Which like, I can't even disagree with. It's ultra demanding and I wonder if it's a case of devs being so used to their game they just didn't realize how jacked up it all was.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What's peoples problem with the new Umuu fight? It takes like, 30 seconds and you don't have to wait around for quirrel to get off his rear end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's ultra demanding and I wonder if it's a case of devs being so used to their game they just didn't realize how jacked up it all was.

Yeah definitely. Watch their segment at uh, Gamescom or whatever where they fight Paintmaster. They’re absurdly good at this game.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
It's ultra hard end game content for the most hardcore players who have done everything else in the game and are looking for more to challenge themselves with. Not everything has to be for everybody. They didn't lock up the new canon finale of the game here. Just don't play it if it isn't fun for you. I won't be, but I ain't about to start whining about it like an entitled baby either. Jesus Christ.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

They didn't lock up the new canon finale of the game here.

They did, actually.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Someone either here or the Switch thread linked a video of a guy fighting a hacked NKG and still took no damage so I think they're fairly aware of who this content pack is for. That said, I think they're ready to either move on to the Hornet story or the sequel while working on the PS4/Bone port.

In terms of my own Rush experience, I really need to learn to stop face tanking so much and regain some discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm having cuphead "how come you can't progress if you can't beat the bosses on normal difficulty" flashbacks except dumber because it's more "how come you can't see the extra bonus stuff if you can't beat the extra bonus bosses"