Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You're doing good stuff man. Keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Can you use a sinkhole or crater from an "unfortunate" accident to create a sewage or fresh water containing device?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nitrousoxide posted:

You're doing good stuff man. Keep up the good work.

what the hell is this stupid historical crap and why does it exist and why is it so good

so much for going to sleep at a regular time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Can you use a sinkhole or crater from an "unfortunate" accident to create a sewage or fresh water containing device?

donoteat posted:

episode 6: in which I struggle with the water physics for 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MrkfLP25Rg&t=74s

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
Procedural Objects is a real game-changer.
Hospital complex conforming to the shape of the road and parking lots around it-

After how well my Mirror's Edge style city test went the other week I decided to try and do an entire map of it and I'm been trying to make a YT series of it that I'm still putting together.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Crisis Now posted:

Wait wait, the what now? :stare:

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Friction posted:

Wait wait, the what now? :stare:

Procedural Objects

Allows you to turn any object in the game in to procedural object which allows you to scale, rotate, change height and texture and edit the vertices of a object like in any 3D modelling software - all on the fly in-game.

The example in my screenshot is about 20 ploppable grass and glass tiles edited to conform to the shape of the retaining walls.

It's a little daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it can let you do so much.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
the market urbanists aren't gonna like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeirDrinWk

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Sorry donoteat, you've skipped straight over the lefty-tube goldmine and into the Mao zone. There's no money in that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Praseodymi posted:

Sorry donoteat, you've skipped straight over the lefty-tube goldmine and into the Mao zone. There's no money in that.

There's ~$300 a month in it so far.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's ~$300 a month in it so far.

Oh wow, when I backed him he was on less than $100. Nice one.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

if mao had a patreon the great leap forward wouldn't have failed

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crisis Now posted:

Procedural Objects

Allows you to turn any object in the game in to procedural object which allows you to scale, rotate, change height and texture and edit the vertices of a object like in any 3D modelling software - all on the fly in-game.

The example in my screenshot is about 20 ploppable grass and glass tiles edited to conform to the shape of the retaining walls.

It's a little daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it can let you do so much.

I did some amazing bridges that conform to my roads with Procedural objects. Its amazing.

Also can I say thank you to Donoteat and Baronjutter. Their posts in this thread have really pushed me to pick this game back up again.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Crisis Now posted:

Hospital complex conforming to the shape of the road and parking lots around it-

After how well my Mirror's Edge style city test went the other week I decided to try and do an entire map of it and I'm been trying to make a YT series of it that I'm still putting together.

Sweet baby Jesus, that looks good

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I've been working on this for the past month. Currently at 21 tiles unlocked. Population of 347,000.
Trying to keep up with managing it is a lot of fun since so much is happening. I've a very good public transport system and managed the traffic very well.
I'm pretty happy with it. God I love this game.

I was never one for making those super detailed architecturally accurate cities, I do try my best. I never plan it out before hand. Just start building.
Functional cities > purely aesthetic cities.
I am however subscribed to 43 workshop mods. :holy:

e:picture

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 22, 2018

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

donoteat posted:

I just checked and you're only $76 dollars away from Jason Unruhe's patreon.

Karate Sluts
Nov 21, 2010

donoteat posted:

backyard furnaces work if you fuel them with patreon dollars

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Crisis Now posted:

Procedural Objects

You know, now that stuff like this is possible I'd be happy if they jettisoned the 'game' parts of the, uh, game, and just made a 'build cool poo poo forever' zen-garden simulator; start with a village that swallows other villages, then just organically build outward to satisfy the RCI meter according to your aesthetic taste.

The restricting factor is that it's incredibly difficult to tear down existing buildings (but you can build over and under them!!), maybe you can repurpose existing stuff to a limited extent like warehouses -> apartments I dunno

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've wanted to dive into procedural objects but I find it fucks up the view distance. With adaptive prop visibility props seem to fade away at much more reasonable zooms, but with procedural objects they pop out of existence way earlier than I'd want. Is there any way to adjust this or make it "smarter"? That tiny ramp can LOD away at a moderate zoom, but the huge town gate arch maybe should always be visible.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

I've wanted to dive into procedural objects but I find it fucks up the view distance. With adaptive prop visibility props seem to fade away at much more reasonable zooms, but with procedural objects they pop out of existence way earlier than I'd want. Is there any way to adjust this or make it "smarter"? That tiny ramp can LOD away at a moderate zoom, but the huge town gate arch maybe should always be visible.

You can set the draw distance of every object in its properties in game. I just drag the slider on mine all the way to the right so they never disappear.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

You can set the draw distance of every object in its properties in game. I just drag the slider on mine all the way to the right so they never disappear.

Oh cool I never noticed that. Are there any good up to date tutorials on all this? Most of the ones i find on youtube are ancient.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Because I can never finish a city or come close, I started a new one. My last one was getting too big, physically and population and it made working on it a huge pain. This time I'm limited to a medium sized island and I wanted a lot of hill action.

Here's the map I made and the project so far. It's an island but it's close enough to the mainland that you can see farms and forests and there's a long bridge over the shallow waters to connect things.

Three hills will dominate the city's layout, each with an important building on top.

Hills of course mean stairs!

And stairs

And stairs. The tourism patio's I find work great for steep areas, they create terraces and hide floating doors.

Always need some super narrow lanes

Looking at a lot of old cities the historic core is often dominated not just by old buildings, but small ones. So tried to limit the area to mostly 1x2 buildings. Sure makes building slow as each one is hand plopped and fitted.

This "newer" area of the city enjoys wider streets and larger wider turn of the century buildings.

What will be a densely built up port and industrial island started as a fishing village. The village and a tuft of trees will remain, but the rest of the area behind will be heavy industry one way.

The city's small train station has an interesting tram loop setup.

Tram integrated into the waterfront.

The city is tiny but this tram interchange is already very busy.

Even though most of it exists outside the buildable area, I think the countryside turned out pretty.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

loving the mad old bastard cycling up the stairs

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Expanded the town a bit this week. If I'm going to carry on doing stuff like this I'm gonna have to upgrade the computer. Frame rate is not great now.

Added a station and a small Warehouse/Factory area. I thought I'd taken a close up of the Factory part but it appears I didn't and I'm not reloading the game just to do that!

Dropped in a church, graveyard and a little garden area.

The Primary school has now been finished.

And just generally expanded the residential areas.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I've been working on this for the past month. Currently at 21 tiles unlocked. Population of 347,000.
Trying to keep up with managing it is a lot of fun since so much is happening. I've a very good public transport system and managed the traffic very well.
I'm pretty happy with it. God I love this game.

I was never one for making those super detailed architecturally accurate cities, I do try my best. I never plan it out before hand. Just start building.
Functional cities > purely aesthetic cities.
I am however subscribed to 43 workshop mods. :holy:

e:picture

Don't suppose you could throw a link up to the map, been looking for a map with nice big water on it for ferries.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
How often does this game go on sale on steam? Are the DLCs worth it?

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
Spent the past week making an African themed map as I hadn't really seen anything else like it - especially with anything approaching a dense jungle-like environment.
But I also wanted to include as many other biomes I could fit in as well.

it has close to something like 700,00 trees, and the dependancy list is quite long however.

Polelo River

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Yeah, that's definitely pretty cool and different than normal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trying to make a harbour, it's really hard but I know people do it so I'm trying.

Making little semi-detailed squares and public areas is fun too and brings a neighbourhood to life. It's nice when it's functional and people flock to hang out and buy produce.

It's been a LOT of plopping, focusing mostly on 1x2 buildings.

Also it's 12:00 but they sky is so dark. Is it because I'm on a euro map? I hate this dark mid-day sky, it's like a sunset with orange clouds at some angles. How do I fix this?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

RagnarokZ posted:

Don't suppose you could throw a link up to the map, been looking for a map with nice big water on it for ferries.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516517973

The biggest downside is that it's entirely flat. Some small variation to terrain heights would have been nice.
Couple of other small issues but its cool overall. I think the east (right) side of the map would have been better for me to base my city for wider range of canals but I built on the opposite end.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

donoteat posted:

"Let a hundred cities bloom; let a hundred schools of urban design contend."

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Baron the only thing that always sticks out to me about your stuff is the concrete is all uniform. Theres no decals breaking it up or even any dirt/marks so it kind of looks weird where theres large concreted areas like around the church. Aside from that you might want some tyres along the harbour wall in places for boats to hit and not damage themselves when mooring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

Baron the only thing that always sticks out to me about your stuff is the concrete is all uniform. Theres no decals breaking it up or even any dirt/marks so it kind of looks weird where theres large concreted areas like around the church. Aside from that you might want some tyres along the harbour wall in places for boats to hit and not damage themselves when mooring.

I always tell myself I'm going to figure out how to use theme mixer to get a slightly more interesting base concrete, or decal over things. Then I start loving around with decals and want to die. I hate how the buffer and overlap and "fight" and that no one has made any big long decals to more easily tile over streets. All street texture decals seem to be 8x8m. Why no 16x16 or 8x16???

I'm now actually trying to figure out how to make my own streets. Something like taking the flat narrow pedestrian street and slapping a more interesting texture that still kinda blends in with the gray concrete could work. Re-doing all the roads, even upgrading them, demolishes growables if they are too close (any way to disable this??) so that would be a nightmare at this point. How do I make my concrete a little more old-world?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This game would be a lot more fun on Xbox if they would give us the green technology DLC already. :argh: Really unfun when your only choice for waste management is landfills. And incinerators don't help with lowering the amount of trash.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

HOLY poo poo IT'S A VIDEO ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING TRAINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLxb5rtmyM

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HOLY poo poo IS THAT THE MOTHERFUCKING JOHN BULL AS A VEHICLE AND A PROP

I WANT THE JOHN BULL

DID YOU MAKE THE JOHN BULL

I UNDERSTAND IF YOU DON'T PUT THE JOHN BULL ON THE WORKSHOP BUT NONETHELESS WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE CHANCE TO PLAY AROUND WITH IT MYSELF

also I'm just deeply impressed at the level of thought put into the overall design of Franklin, how you've explained various aspects of it, and that you've been so committed to it that you've made assets specifically for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

donoteat posted:

HOLY poo poo IT'S A VIDEO ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING TRAINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLxb5rtmyM

this is the content i crave.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

HOLY poo poo IS THAT THE MOTHERFUCKING JOHN BULL AS A VEHICLE AND A PROP

I WANT THE JOHN BULL

DID YOU MAKE THE JOHN BULL

I UNDERSTAND IF YOU DON'T PUT THE JOHN BULL ON THE WORKSHOP BUT NONETHELESS WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE CHANCE TO PLAY AROUND WITH IT MYSELF

YEAH IT'S COMING TO THE WORKSHOP SOON i think i have to work some bugs out but i forgot what the bugs are

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Can you take the train episode level and write and film Westworld S3? I'm sure you'll do a much better job with it than what we are going to get. That first person shot in the cinematic of the train going down the street was inspired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Can you take the train episode level and write and film Westworld S3? I'm sure you'll do a much better job with it than what we are going to get. That first person shot in the cinematic of the train going down the street was inspired

i will call it.... eastworld