Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually the rights issue is even simpler. The holder of the IP owns the rights to distribute any derivative work, period, unless it is satirical or transformative (the latter being a very high standard). Its status as non-commercial is wholly legally immaterial, it's a standard by which IP owners tend to act but it has nothing to do with legality per se. Posting it online is distribution, passing it around to your neighbors is distribution. Fanart is protected to the extent you can draw it for yourself and hang onto it. Whether you made money from having distributed it doesn't affect this and I'm not sure where people are getting the sense it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pick posted:

Actually the rights issue is even simpler. The holder of the IP owns the rights to distribute any derivative work, period, unless it is satirical or transformative (the latter being a very high standard). Its status as non-commercial is wholly legally immaterial, it's a standard by which IP owners tend to act but it has nothing to do with legality per se. Posting it online is distribution, passing it around to your neighbors is distribution. Fanart is protected to the extent you can draw it for yourself and hang onto it. Whether you made money from having distributed it doesn't affect this and I'm not sure where people are getting the sense it does.
Hmm, I guess supporting that would be

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work#When_does_derivative-work_copyright_apply?

quote:

Copyright ownership in a derivative work attaches only if the derivative work is lawful, because of a license or other "authorization." The U.S. Copyright Office says in its circular on derivative works:

In any case where a copyrighted work is used without the permission of the copyright owner, copyright protection will not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully

So I guess Disney's argument would be that fanart as derivative work is created without authorisation and insufficiently original, thus is not protected by copyright.

I think on the broad legality of the case the courts might fall down either way, but I wouldn't bet against Disney's lawyers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
e: ^ Interesting! Isn't copyright chat fun? :v:

Pick posted:

Sure. But at the same time, they do not control the derivative work itself, which still puts Disney in the legal wrong here.

e: oh yeah no regardless of who's legally right Disney's lawyers would crush any challenge in court.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 23, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Didn’t Disney technically “steal”’ a lot of their stuff from existing stories too? Could descendants of Hans Christian Andersen take them to court over the little mermaid?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Public domain and all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avalerion posted:

Didn’t Disney technically “steal”’ a lot of their stuff from existing stories too? Could descendants of Hans Christian Andersen take them to court over the little mermaid?

The only case I'd think was strong based on items outside public domain is Kimba. Usually they're very diligent. I think the Bambi book enters public domain this year though, and I'm not sure if that's the first or one of the first properties that has made that conversion while a derivative work is still a major Disney production and protected.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Avalerion posted:

In most countries, copyright on a literary work ends 70 years after the death of its author. Andersen died in 1875, so his work has been in the public domain for decades.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just read up on that. Now I’m curious what will happen 2023 when Mickey Mouse should become free for all. :D

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avalerion posted:

Just read up on that. Now I’m curious what will happen 2023 when Mickey Mouse should become free for all. :D

What you will see happen is why people are spitting the term "Disney lawyers". But the lawyers are really just doing the work made available to them by successful lobbyists.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If I had done this, my job would be on the line. Not my studio, because they have enough money to overpower courts. But me, the BG designer, could very possibly be fired. It takes A MAJOR loving FOUL-UP to get outright fired in this industry. So yes, I determine it to be a bad move both morally and legally.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
not to derail from the current conversation too much, but does anyone have any recommendations for books about animation, beyond art books?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Illusion of Life, The Animators Survival Kit, Walt’s People, Miyazakis Starting Point.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I know standard animation student textbooks are The Illusion of Life, where Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson explains their experience working in the early days of Disney, the people they worked alongside, the process of creating an animated product, and the technical aspects of animating. As well there's Richard Williams' The Animator's Survival Guide, which is a much more technical explanation of the techniques of animation (from what I heard, there's a thick section of the book dedicated to nothing but illustrating walk cycles).

As for books about animation about non-animators, I've heard several strong reccomendations for Sick Little Monkeys which illustrates the history of Ren and Stimpy. And not necessarily about animation, but the book DisneyWar is an expose about Michael Eisner's tenure as CEO of Disney from pre-Renaissance to it's near downfall again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DisneyWar is a very enjoyable read. I'm not entirely sure who comes off the worst between Eisner and Katzenberg; there's not a lot in it.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

DisneyWar is a very enjoyable read. I'm not entirely sure who comes off the worst between Eisner and Katzenberg; there's not a lot in it.

The secret best part in the book is about 2/3 through where it's just about the fuckups at ABC and there are literally eight layers of executives from Eisner down that theoretically have final say over the schedule

Corek fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 23, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corek posted:

The secret best part in the book is about 2/3 through where it's just about the fuckups at ABC.

Oh, yeah, like Eisner personally turning down almost every show that became successful for other networks because he was convinced that Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was always going to be on top.

My personal favourite is the running thread of Eisner bulldozing everyone who warns him that Michael Ovitz is pointedly not the right person to be company president and getting him into the job and then immediately deciding Ovitz is not the right person to be company president and trying to undermine him and get him to quit.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Corek posted:

The secret best part in the book is about 2/3 through where it's just about the fuckups at ABC and there are literally eight layers of executives from Eisner down that theoretically have final say over the schedule

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Katzenburg was a jackass showboater, but Eisner constantly sabotaging his own hires was gross as hell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oddly enough, Michael Eisner as this massive hate figure who Disney had to be "saved" from is one of my earliest memories of being online. Sort of quaint in retrospect. It's also funny because a "Save Disney" campaign was what put him and Wells and Katzenberg in charge in the first place.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Remember when Disney was about to file bankruptcy? Strange times those were.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Remember when Disney was about to file bankruptcy? Strange times those were.

Are you talking about after Fantasia and Pinocchio failed at the box office or was there a point later on where they were also close to going under?

The first time they got saved by Dumbo, so you can either thank or blame that flying elephant for todays entertainment behemoth.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ccs posted:

Are you talking about after Fantasia and Pinocchio failed at the box office or was there a point later on where they were also close to going under?

The first time they got saved by Dumbo, so you can either thank or blame that flying elephant for todays entertainment behemoth.
Black Cauldron nearly put the entire company under. The Little Mermaid saved them.

Yes I know The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Co. are inbetween there, but as great as those films are, they weren't what changed Disney's fate.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

not to mention Sleeping Beauty

How did they recover from that one, just switching to the xerox method?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Black Cauldron nearly put the entire company under. The Little Mermaid saved them.

Yes I know The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Co. are inbetween there, but as great as those films are, they weren't what changed Disney's fate.

Well, the fact that GMD wasn’t a failure gave Musker and Clements enough goodwill they were allowed to make Little Mermaid. So in a roundabout way we can still thank the second most loved Disney film in this thread after Goofy Movie.

I’ve been meaning to go back and revisit the Black Cauldron, but I’m almost certain I’ll be disappointed still.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

I’ve been meaning to go back and revisit the Black Cauldron, but I’m almost certain I’ll be disappointed still.

Out of curiosity, was the book series it's loosely based on any better?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

From what I heard, it's way better, what didn't help with the movie is it shoved plot points from several books into one, and barely did anything with the characters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had to read the black cauldron book one for school and frankly it was extremely dull but at least it was a coherent enough story. Its also a story that is kicked off by the protagonist having to track down a pig so it may be the singular worst start to a five book fantasy saga.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember hearing that the author of the books actually thought the film was decent

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Larryb posted:

Granted I haven't read the Prydain books in like thirty years, but my recollection is that if you're a kid who's already read Tolkien and CS Lewis they'll scratch that same itch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Animation sure has a bad track record adapting fantasy books in between Bakshis ugly Tolkien adaptions, The Black Cauldron, and Tales of Earthsea being the only bad movie Studio Ghibli ever made.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Barudak posted:

I had to read the black cauldron book one for school and frankly it was extremely dull but at least it was a coherent enough story. Its also a story that is kicked off by the protagonist having to track down a pig so it may be the singular worst start to a five book fantasy saga.

It's a pig that can tell the future, sir. :colbert:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Larryb posted:

The Chronicles of Prydain? It's amazing; truly one of the greats in early reading classics, but not really a good choice for a Disney movie or even series of movies, given how dark it is.

I don't mean dark like Game of Thrones, with blood, betrayal, sex, and gore- I mean, there's violence, but it's never treated as visceral or exciting in the least and most of the time you just see the aftermath. I mean dark like The Last Unicorn- it has individual exciting, humorous elements to it, but overall it's a sad story, melancholic, with the air of a bittersweet ballad celebrating long-ago triumph and glory. Sort of like Diet Lord Of The Rings for those who couldn't get past that loving forest and can't stand Tom Bombadil... you can make a good story out of that, but it unequivocally would not suit the Disney Brand, as it were.

To illustrate what I mean... The Black Cauldron The Movie is based loosely off of the first two books in the series, and taken on its own terms, it's... meh? I mean, it's all right, but it was obviously made as an attempt to appeal to "boys"- to the adventuresome, superhero crowd, something that would be done to greater effect with Gargoyles and even Atlantis (Hell, Treasure Planet is better, because it is actually a passable adaptation of Treasure Island, something this movie is not), because they remembered to put in a thought out story. It's meant to make the audience feel empowered, to beat the bad guys, to win, right? Well...

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Does Disney still hold the rights to the series? I thought I heard buzz about them considering a new adaptation but nothing after that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

resurgam40 posted:

The Chronicles of Prydain? It's amazing; truly one of the greats in early reading classics, but not really a good choice for a Disney movie or even series of movies, given how dark it is.

I don't mean dark like Game of Thrones, with blood, betrayal, sex, and gore- I mean, there's violence, but it's never treated as visceral or exciting in the least and most of the time you just see the aftermath. I mean dark like The Last Unicorn- it has individual exciting, humorous elements to it, but overall it's a sad story, melancholic, with the air of a bittersweet ballad celebrating long-ago triumph and glory. Sort of like Diet Lord Of The Rings for those who couldn't get past that loving forest and can't stand Tom Bombadil... you can make a good story out of that, but it unequivocally would not suit the Disney Brand, as it were.

It sounds extremely badly written, to be honest. How's the prose?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
(Sorry for the break, had to change computers at work)

Do you remember the protagonist of the story, Taran? The brash, imaginative kid who has "This is the hero" written all over him and rises to the occasion in the movie? He spends the first two books getting the poo poo kicked out of him, pretty much, in a way that's not empowering or fun to watch. He desperately aches to prove himself, thinks he gets his chance when the pig he's looking after runs away, and pretty much spends the entire time eating poo poo while other people do the more important, supposedly glorious things. The arc of his story is all about how he should stop trying to be special and just be himself- the plot of A Goofy Movie*, so Disney is no stranger to that kind of story- but in order to get there, his life lessons are not so much gentle prodding as it is a repeated sledgehammer to the face. Taran spends the entirety of Book One and a good 60% of Book 2 breaking stuff, getting his rear end handed to him in combat, disappointing his friends and allies, and generally being wrong about pretty much everything - all the while having his nose rubbed in about how completely unimportant he is in the grand scheme of things (the aforementioned pig he looks after is more magical and important than he is, to give you an idea; it can tell the future)- before just barely pulling out a win... and in the second book, it isn't even his win. You recall the part in the movie where Gurgi, imagined as the Cheerful, Annoying Animal friend, sacrificed himself to break the Black Cauldron, and then was immediately brought back 5 seconds later? Well, that part is half true, someone does jump in the Cauldron to break it- it has to be a willing sacrifice who knows he's giving up his life- but in the book, it was Taran's rival character who is also a tryhard wannabe who flails about and got the Cauldron captured again due to his own arrogance and hunger for recognition and wanted to make amends. And then he dies, leaving Taran to wonder if they could have been friends, and he doesn't come back.

"Sacrifice" is kind of the point of the entire series, really- the entire point is that there are no easy victories which you come out of intact, a point that the makers of that movie very deliberately avoided, presumably because downer endings aren't as marketable. Other changes include The Horned King as this cackling bad guy rather than the silent force of nature he's portrayed as in the novel, and of course, an incompetent lackey as a henchman (don't want the villains to come off as too scary, don't you know). I didn't really care for it.

*Although that still doesn't really work, as AGM is as much about Goofy learning to listen better as a parent as it is about Max learning to stop fronting, and for both of them to communicate more. It's a relationship story, not an adventure one, even if it does take the form of a road trip.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So the appeal of the books is purely on the level of plot instead of prose, and the plot is totally lame.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of Atlantis, I rewatched it last night and I was reminded just how bad the pacing of the movie is and how “dark” it is compared to Disney’s usual fare. I can’t figure out if it should have been, like, an hour longer or a maybe even a miniseries instead (maybe change the beginning so that they go to Iceland to get the journal and that’s where the Leviathan attack happens?).

I never really processed how different all the characters appearance and animation is the other two times I watched it (first as a child when it came out and then again as a high schooler). It ultimately works, but it really doesn’t feel like a Disney film because of it. My wife pointed out that it really feels more like a Bluth film and I think she’s right.

Also if Disney is going to continue insisting on remaking their animated films into live action ones they really need to redo Atlantis because the movie deserves better than it got.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Atlantis really was hampered by it's run time, I feel like it should've been a two season mini-series - the first season is getting to Atlantis, with the second actually being in Atlantis and then returning to the surface - it'd give the huge cast room to breathe, and the sub doesn't get wasted.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Here's a question for you guys out of nowhere: which is the most technically exquisite animated film there is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kurzon posted:

Here's a question for you guys out of nowhere: which is the most technically exquisite animated film there is?

Rango.