Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I loved monster hunter world but by the time it got to the point of farming tempered elders I’d rather try making a different weapon build or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

just looked up how decoration drops work and basically if you want anything actually useful (+sharpness, crit, etc.) you need to farm tempered elder dragons hundreds of times lol

Unless you need a Level 3 Jewel you get boatloads of interesting ones from doing Level 2 Tempered quests, and it gives you a lot of options for making builds. The bigger grind I think is getting poo poo to augment Gear, especially anything that's Rarity 8. I'm gonna need so many streamstones

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I loved monster hunter world but by the time it got to the point of farming tempered elders I’d rather try making a different weapon build or something.

honestly once I hit the bedrock of these games and it's just grinding for bigger numbers I usually stop lol. I'd like to beat all the tempered mons but once I beat whatever the ultimate superboss is I'll be satisfied

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The ultimate superboss is getting added later to the PC version. There's arch-tempered variants correct?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finally finished my epic min/max crit build.

If I ever find a Weakness Exploit gem I can raise it to level 3 and push my affinity to 100%. Now I guess I need to grind Streamstones, which I'm not even sure how to find, to augment all my gear and max out my defense.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

tao of lmao posted:

Yeah agreed all around. Soloing is especially easy once you get your cat leveled up. I’ve preferred the flashbug/electric trap tools over the healing ones.

i like the mini hunting horn they can get in the coral place, best one in the game imo

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

do people still play on ps4? i kinda wanna play this again but don't feel like buying it a second time until i have a second impetus to waste thousands of dollars on incremental upgrades to my desktop

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

do people still play on ps4? i kinda wanna play this again but don't feel like buying it a second time until i have a second impetus to waste thousands of dollars on incremental upgrades to my desktop

All the PC posts make me want to do so OP. I'm in very early high rank and just sorta stalled out because i didn't like playing solo or with randoms (it's cool that's an option but it's kind of a bummer when HR99 people join and you basically just skip the fight because they kill poo poo so quick) and couldn't convince any of my friends to pick it up -- idk if we're close to each other progression-wise but i'll play w you, psn is mattnotgeorge

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Master's Touch

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

goferchan posted:

All the PC posts make me want to do so OP. I'm in very early high rank and just sorta stalled out because i didn't like playing solo or with randoms (it's cool that's an option but it's kind of a bummer when HR99 people join and you basically just skip the fight because they kill poo poo so quick) and couldn't convince any of my friends to pick it up -- idk if we're close to each other progression-wise but i'll play w you, psn is mattnotgeorge

i'm somewhere in the same range i think, I sent you a friend request from thereisnoyhwh

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

In Training posted:

If I ever find a Weakness Exploit gem I can raise it to level 3 and push my affinity to 100%. Now I guess I need to grind Streamstones, which I'm not even sure how to find, to augment all my gear and max out my defense.

doing the crit+sharpness build. my man

you get streamstones with tempered elder investigations. it's been so long that i forget how you get the first ones, but once you have one you should spend some time just farming them with tracks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well kirin still becomes complete bullshit once he enrages, never fighting it again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

well kirin still becomes complete bullshit once he enrages, never fighting it again

Ive got bad news.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Ive got bad news.

christ. making a bunch of gear just to make one fight beatable ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i havent reached it yet but Tempered Kirin is the final boss of the game. ive only fought the LR version and it was a pain in the rear end, i cant imagine how rought it will be + how awful the Arch Tempered version will be when it eventually gets added

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the LR version doesnt even go into hyper mode where he deflects all attacks and randomly shoots out high damage+stunning+paralyzing bolts on top of his now much faster attacks and constantly moves around like a dickhead aFUCK the kirin

someone told me that if you have elderseal you can cancel his rage..might be worth looking into since thats the only bad part

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

extremebuff posted:

the LR version doesnt even go into hyper mode where he deflects all attacks and randomly shoots out high damage+stunning+paralyzing bolts on top of his now much faster attacks and constantly moves around like a dickhead aFUCK the kirin

someone told me that if you have elderseal you can cancel his rage..might be worth looking into since thats the only bad part

Elderseal cancels his lightning armor that makes you bounce, but he's still gonna be jumping and zapping all over the place.

I've beat him on High Rank a few times and he's not too bad with a heavy weapon that can smash him down since you don't even need to care about the armor. Not looking forward to the Tempered version though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Elderseal cancels his lightning armor that makes you bounce, but he's still gonna be jumping and zapping all over the place.

I've beat him on High Rank a few times and he's not too bad with a heavy weapon that can smash him down since you don't even need to care about the armor. Not looking forward to the Tempered version though.

yeah, i was coming at him with a fire swordsword which is an absolutely terrible idea lol. hammer would be ideal since 60% of its moveset is immune to bounce

shame theres no good fire hammer in this game??? rathalos head hammer has been a staple of the series forever, loving Meteor Crusher with the blue/silver rathalos head at the end of the tree. the anjanath tree is terrible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

whats wrong with the anja one? its got -20% affinity but you can overcome that, and its a rarity 6 which means its easier to augment and gets better bonuses...seems deece.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i'm somewhere in the same range i think, I sent you a friend request from thereisnoyhwh

Cool I redownloaded the game today, just hit me up sometime when we're both online

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
How do you fight kirin in low rank? Completely missed him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it was the capture side quest chain ends with fighting LR Kirin

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

whats wrong with the anja one? its got -20% affinity but you can overcome that, and its a rarity 6 which means its easier to augment and gets better bonuses...seems deece.

well i guess the -affinity doesnt matter with weakness exploit and other stuff...hmm

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

extremebuff posted:

yeah, i was coming at him with a fire swordsword which is an absolutely terrible idea lol. hammer would be ideal since 60% of its moveset is immune to bounce

shame theres no good fire hammer in this game??? rathalos head hammer has been a staple of the series forever, loving Meteor Crusher with the blue/silver rathalos head at the end of the tree. the anjanath tree is terrible

great sword is a pretty good option too, since you can do hit and run with it, and single hits with it are pretty strong even if you don't charge it up fully. then you can pair that with critical draw to make it even more effective. its how i beat tempered kirin

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think dual blades might be the worst possible weapon for Kirin and I'm going to start practicing with a long sword while I grind out HR49

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

man this wind dragon is not messing around. really awesome fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Had a good hunt with EE today against a Level 2 Bazelgeuse fight today where I overextended on using the dual blade 30 hit combo and just had to watch as bazel dropped 15 bombs directly on my face and OHKO from full health + fire mantle.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Named my Palico Superfly, 'cause I can't go anywhere without my buddy Superfly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow I really had nothing to worry about. Took Tempered Kirin down with my hammer without dying

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

finally learning tempered kirin's tells so i could solo him with dual blades was the biggest thrill i've ever had from this series. you feel incredible dashing past attacks, landing hits and escaping with milliseconds to spare. real bloodborne poo poo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I never got any satisfaction from Tempered Kirin because I got frustrated and SOS'd for him and some japanese guy with healing powders who's guild card jsut said he spends all day helping noobs showed up and killed him for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I never got any satisfaction from Tempered Kirin because I got frustrated and SOS'd for him and some japanese guy with healing powders who's guild card jsut said he spends all day helping noobs showed up and killed him for me.

Lol...know this feel. I did this while trying to see credits but then I went back and owned all the elder dragons myself to show them who's boss.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

haha

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In Training posted:

I think dual blades might be the worst possible weapon for Kirin and I'm going to start practicing with a long sword while I grind out HR49

I tried fighting him with Sword+Shield (just the low rank version) and I had what I'm guessing there's a similar problem where only a couple of attacks in the move set reach high enough to hit the head

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Posting my hunter.

Now I'm gonna make longsword and insect glaive sets.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
you look like evil shovel knight

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Insect glaive looks real cool, but the gimmick seems kinda intimidating to learn.

For those who have played both: how does the learning curve of the glaive compare to the charge blade, which also felt intimidating at first but eventually became second nature.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

actually i just bought it on PC instead since money has no value to me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

you look like evil shovel knight

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010