Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Javid posted:

If your only goal is to activate fi then put a data sim in the phone you actually want, a $80 5x isn't the worst idea.

An even better idea is finding a friend with a Pixel or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

canyoneer posted:

Except for the part where they randomly and catastrophically fail I really liked the 5x

I still have mine as a backup phone now that lg has warranty repaired it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Except for the part where they randomly and catastrophically fail I really liked the 5x

Like, no sarcasm, this is absolutely true. Up until mine started bootlooping, I loving loved it.

Moto X4 Android One edition is a very similar experience, but I really, really miss the fingerprint reader on the back.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Am I crazy, or is there not a way to order 2x Data SIMs at once? It seemed like you could only order them one at a time, so I placed two separate orders on Monday. Now it looks like they won't arrive in time for my trip. So I want to order 2 more with expedited shipping, but I don't want to have to pay for shipping twice for what amounts to sending 2 tiny pieces of plastic.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
In case this saves anyone else a moment of panic, I set my Pixel (1st gen, non-XL) to update, and I expected it to reboot. Apparently somewhere during the reboot process it crashed harder than I've ever seen and it was completely non-responsive.
Holding down the power button for about half a minute finally booted it back up, it finished the update, and it seems to be running just fine.
:shrug:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The regular voice/SMS/data SIM card I got, now that it has been activated in a Nexus phone, should work totally fine in my iPhone, even internationally, correct?

I had intended to keep that SIM in the Nexus and just use the Data SIMs in my and my wife's iPhones, but FedEx seems to have lost one of the Data SIMs, so I'm left with just one Data SIM and one Voice/SMS/Data SIM.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Speaking of Pie updates, OG Pixel XL's are having issues with fast charging after the update. "Issues" being that they are no longer fast charging.

It seems to be limited to only 3rd party chargers/cables, but it's something to be aware of before upgrading to P.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I just smashed my 6P in the mechanism of a reclining movie seat. :suspense:

It was getting a little long in the tooth anyway, and I had already been thinking about jumping on one of the Pixel 2XL deals that have been happening. Any reason not to go with that? I don't want to downgrade from the 6P, but I can't wait for the Pixel 3 and I don't really wanna spend $1k on a phone anyway.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if you're spending $1k on a phone you are almost certainly (outside of really rich and/or insufferable nerds) doing the wrong thing

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I was in the same(ish) boat with my 6p because it has the battery cancer. I picked up the Moto X4 under the assumption that it was going to be a cheap placeholder until the Pixel 3xl launched but I'm actually really happy with it. It's got solid performance and a battery that lasts all day (this may be the norm for phones. Like I said I'm coming from the 6p).

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

8one6 posted:

I was in the same(ish) boat with my 6p because it has the battery cancer. I picked up the Moto X4 under the assumption that it was going to be a cheap placeholder until the Pixel 3xl launched but I'm actually really happy with it. It's got solid performance and a battery that lasts all day (this may be the norm for phones. Like I said I'm coming from the 6p).

Same. But the camera on the X4 is pretty garbage compared to the 6P, which has frustrated me several times a week since purchasing a few months ago. Thinking about switching just for that reason.

Speaking of switching, I'm super not happy with how much Google Project Fi costs. I've got no WiFi at work, so regularly max out my data usage and am paying 90bux for something I could get cheaper with another carrier. Anyone else tried leaving and porting their Google #?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I just left my number with Google Voice when I left Fi.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, leaving and porting (in person, to Cricket) was a snap after we figured out that you need to release the number in your Fi account first.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I just moved to Canada this month and all the plans out here suck for roaming. Anyone have any success at keeping their plan after moving?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Uthor posted:

Yeah, leaving and porting (in person, to Cricket) was a snap after we figured out that you need to release the number in your Fi account first.

Do you do that online or speaking with them on the phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Do you do that online or speaking with them on the phone?

It was in an app. The Fi app? I don't remember the exact steps. But, Google does!

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079398?hl=en

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
For some reason my phone won't send group texts anymore, just individual ones. Why is this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

canyoneer posted:

For some reason my phone won't send group texts anymore, just individual ones. Why is this?

What app? There is this option in Messages.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Mystery solved, thanks. It was doing that in Europe as I would roam to different services, but I've been back home in the states for months and it turned on again randomly

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I had it toggle on and off randomly when I first got my Pixel a month or so ago. But I'm not on Fi.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Thanatosian posted:

Like, no sarcasm, this is absolutely true. Up until mine started bootlooping, I loving loved it.

Moto X4 Android One edition is a very similar experience, but I really, really miss the fingerprint reader on the back.

I've come around on the placement of the fingerprint reader. Whipping it out of my pocket with my thumb already on the sensor to unlock it has become second nature at this point.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

I've come around on the placement of the fingerprint reader. Whipping it out of my pocket with my thumb already on the sensor to unlock it has become second nature at this point.
I have added my thumb to it twice, and it still usually takes a couple of tries.

Then again, my work iPhone SE won't let me add a fingerprint at all (just keeps saying "lift and place your finger" over and over again), so maybe I just have hosed-up fingers. But the one on the back worked just about every time.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

for you people complaining about fingerprint problems, did you follow the instructions when you set it up? it helps a lot if you really closely follow how they tell you to do it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone contacted support recently about issues with older Fi phones? If so, how did it go?

I've already gotten one Nexus 5X exchange after my warranty expired, but that exchange was like a year ago. I am yet again having buzzing issues with the earpiece speaker. I can't believe the horrible build quality on this phone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The usb-c port on my pixel has weakened and falls out real easy now, I gotta put the phone down gentle or it pops out. RIP once-in-a-decade good usb design that won't have any issues. :(

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The usb-c port on my pixel has weakened and falls out real easy now, I gotta put the phone down gentle or it pops out. RIP once-in-a-decade good usb design that won't have any issues. :(

I had a bunch of pocket lint form a gasket at the base of the port. Rooted around in there, pulled out a terrifying amount of fuzz, and the cable stays firmly seated now.

Maybe grab a toothpick?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

umbrage posted:

I had a bunch of pocket lint form a gasket at the base of the port. Rooted around in there, pulled out a terrifying amount of fuzz, and the cable stays firmly seated now.

Maybe grab a toothpick?

I have this issue but with sawdust at work. Caused me to quit keeping my phone in my pocket when sanding.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y17K1J8

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

umbrage posted:

Maybe grab a toothpick?

This worked, and the gods were angry. I had subverted their punishment, and so they caused me to drop my phone on asphalt and shatter a bunch of glass!! Do not recommend.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah if i remember rightly, usb-c is designed so that the cable gets busted instead of the device port. also clean out your pocketses lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

love my 5x... i got it used as a replacment after dropping m 6P in a toilet full of pee.

But its getting slower and slower, and the fingerprint sensor doesn't work anymore and that annoys me more than anything else.

I preordered a pixel 3 im black and I'm hoping it doesn't suck.. The camera blows my mind and I love the AI features for dealing with telemarketers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My OG Pixel XL is still going strong, here's to hoping I can hold out until the Pixel 4!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wendigee posted:

love my 5x... i got it used as a replacment after dropping m 6P in a toilet full of pee.

This is why water resistance is at the top of my must haves now. I dropped my Moto x4 into a (mercifully just cleaned) toilet just after I got it and the thing survived that, as well as the subsequent rigorous cleaning, with nary a hiccup.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Cabbit posted:

This is why water resistance is at the top of my must haves now. I dropped my Moto x4 into a (mercifully just cleaned) toilet just after I got it and the thing survived that, as well as the subsequent rigorous cleaning, with nary a hiccup.

I washed the 6p in the sink and stuck it in a bag of rice... it works fine still as far as I know. It certainly worked before i replaced it with the 5x.

It was just forever unclean and had to be replaced.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My girlfriend is still using her 5X and my 6P somehow has not crumbled into dust yet. It's obviously time to upgrade, though. Did the Pixel's display issues ever get fixed after the initial batch or is the screen yellowing always going to be a thing? Pixel 2 is sold out and I don't see Google doing any promos on them since they're selling, but we're both already on Fi so there's not any way to take advantage of the $1,598 + taxes + new line, get $799 credit offer. Are either of the LG phones decent? I used a Moto X4 recently and wasn't into it at all. I can't go to a front-facing fingerprint scanner after having only used them on the backsides previously. Should I be waiting for used Pixel 2s to drop in price or looking at another phone altogether? Her 5X is great shape cosmetically and doesn't boot loop, so she can get some money for trading it in, but I cracked the edge of my screen which means the 6P isn't worth anything anymore.

It's weird that just 3 years ago, we switched to Fi in order to save money. I was banking on us being able to use our phones for four years each in order to justify the cost of spending $940 with taxes. $26/mo over three years, for just the two phones that have been limping along for half their lives. Now the Pixel 3 starts at $799 and goes up to $1,000 for the XL. Neither of us were ever able to get any support for the phones because LG/Huawei would tell us to contact the place of purchase (Google) and our carrier (also Google) would tell us to contact the manufacturers. We've also kinda been getting screwed around on the bill this year regarding international calls while signed into wireless networks, too, but other international phone plans are so overpriced it doesn't make sense to switch to another carrier.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
My 6P finally bit the dust and I couldn't stomach buying a Pixel 3 if Google is just going to copycat Apple's dumb design decisions, so I bought a Note 9.

Stuck the Fi SIM in it and so far everything works fine. I consider the inability to auto switch onto sprint's network to be an improvement over using a Google device. I've always used the hangouts app for texting and that still works fine. Calls working normally both on and off wifi. There are cheaper carriers out there but I like texting from gmail too much.

The phone itself is phenomenal, but man Samsung's variant of android is really annoying. The UI is okay but it's so pushy with the Samsung cloud garbage and it took considerable effort to not send my entire life history to samsung. I think I've got the worst offenders disabled via the developer options, but I do miss stock android.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Eyes Only posted:

There are cheaper carriers out there but I like texting from gmail too much.

You know you can text from the web now through stock messenger right? You don't need Fi for this at all.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Is there a chance Fi add any additional carriers to T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular? Specifically AT&T or Verizon? T-Mobile is the only one of the current Fi partners that has native service in my area, and their coverage stops about a half mile before my wife's office. We have Verizon and have been happy with the service but really like the international roaming features Fi includes. Both currently have Pixel 2s, mine from Google and her's from Verizon. Have 2-3 other lines we'd need as well and would need new compatible Fi phones for those.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There is no reason for Verizon or AT&T to join with Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

uli2000 posted:

Is there a chance Fi add any additional carriers to T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular? Specifically AT&T or Verizon? T-Mobile is the only one of the current Fi partners that has native service in my area, and their coverage stops about a half mile before my wife's office. We have Verizon and have been happy with the service but really like the international roaming features Fi includes. Both currently have Pixel 2s, mine from Google and her's from Verizon. Have 2-3 other lines we'd need as well and would need new compatible Fi phones for those.

On Fi, T-Mobile and Sprint both roam on AT&T and Verizon respectively when you need it.

Also it does have Three in the countries where that carrier exists.

Uthor posted:

There is no reason for Verizon or AT&T to join with Google.

As long as you're on Sprint, T-Mobile, or US Cellular, you get whatever their roaming partner is (except for USC apparently).