Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Okay, where do you loving go in the settings on Android Pie to turn off the alert sound/vibration for the notifications of a specific app? It used to be in the app settings. Do I need to wait for the notification to trigger and turn it off at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

Okay, where do you loving go in the settings on Android Pie to turn off the alert sound/vibration for the notifications of a specific app? It used to be in the app settings. Do I need to wait for the notification to trigger and turn it off at that point?

Settings > Apps and there's a notification option to play with

vyst fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 24, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FunOne posted:

Why doesn't Google just make a top end smart phone, no notch, 3x cameras, AI, full glass on all 12 sides, wireless everything but also a ton of ports, thin, great battery life, FM radio, understated, but bold, unique styling, also both water and fire proof, an unannounced processor, 4gb of RAM.....

And sell it for $300!

This thread reminds me of an old saying about why nobody can replace Microsoft Word. Everyone only uses a few of the many features, but everyone uses a different set, so you have to start with EVERY feature or else it isn't acceptable.

If I buy this phone I will have a front facing camera for every selfie I've ever taken. It doesn't interest me, but I understand why they did it.

I'm excited about the gaming phones, just to shake things up and maybe innovate on heat management, better screens, etc.

There are so many dumb things about this post, least of which is, if you bother to read or follow the thread before spouting this garbage, that's not what anyone is saying.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I think one thing that is sort of irritating about Phones that I believe we can mostly all agree with. Is instead of getting nearly the same Looking/Designed phone for a year or so back to back with just upgraded internals in a meaningful way. We get redesigned phones that may offer a little more inside, but then we loose something, or something changes in a way that appears to us as needlessly, or we get a sweet new designed phone that actually does look good, and it has either crap internals/specs, can't be bought in your country, doesn't support your wireless carrier bands, company making it is spying on you, etc.

Since you can't build your own phone, you are at the mercy of what gets brought to market, and in some way, it seems like a lot of what were great phone makers at one point with a device or two/three, are now introducing Change for Change Sake in our view.

One thing for me is these godawful curved screens. That has to be the biggest phone tech peeve of mine at all since there are nearly no glass screen protectors that work on them and they seem to make touch input worse to boot than a quality good flat normal screen.

It is too bad that the Modular Google Phone idea died off before it got anywhere. Would be cool to make a phone with the design and parts you do want. Maybe someday with a modular automated factory system possibly? That would be neato.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just wish there was a phone manufacturer that said:
"This is our phone for the next 3 years. We will not sell any other phones for that time period. We will continue to update it for 2 years after."

Third parties would be comfortable making accessories for it because they would know they had customers for a decent amount of time. Buyers don't have to worry about the new one getting announced a month later. The manufacturer could focus their support on the one model they make. Not everything needs to be constantly obsolete.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with the OnePlus 6, how you liking it? If the OnePlus 6T ends up having wireless charging then I think I shall leave my 6P behind.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

vyst posted:

Settings > Apps and there's a notification option to play with

Yes, but when I go to the notifications of Fit (the app I want to silence), my only options are to turn the notifications on and off and to toggle the notification dot. Nothing about removing the audio alert and vibration.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Got my Essential phone and while the screen is a step down from my old Nexus 6P, and it has a notch, I'm liking it so far. The camera app on it is awful though.

Supposedly someone ported the Nexus/Pixel camera app for non-Nexus/Pixel devices. Is this Arnova camera port legit?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Yes, but when I go to the notifications of Fit (the app I want to silence), my only options are to turn the notifications on and off and to toggle the notification dot. Nothing about removing the audio alert and vibration.

Touch the label on the left of the vertical pipe with the checkbox on the right.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RZA Encryption posted:

I just wish there was a phone manufacturer that said:
"This is our phone for the next 3 years. We will not sell any other phones for that time period. We will continue to update it for 2 years after."

That was basically the first few years of iPhones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HPL posted:

That was basically the first few years of iPhones.

Huh, I wonder if that's where he got the idea.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a Samsung S9+ with 200gb of expandable storage. I'd like to be able to plug my phone into stuff like external hard drives (GoPro mostly, also DSLRs) and pull files to the expandable storage. I've used a USB-A to USB-C converter and have been able to plug my phone into a gopro, I can see the files with File Explorer, but when I try to transfer them (4gb files) I get an unspecified error.

What's a good way to do this? I feel like I just need Windows Explorer on my phone so I can copy paste this stuff. Thanks goons.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I have a Samsung S9+ with 200gb of expandable storage. I'd like to be able to plug my phone into stuff like external hard drives (GoPro mostly, also DSLRs) and pull files to the expandable storage. I've used a USB-A to USB-C converter and have been able to plug my phone into a gopro, I can see the files with File Explorer, but when I try to transfer them (4gb files) I get an unspecified error.

What's a good way to do this? I feel like I just need Windows Explorer on my phone so I can copy paste this stuff. Thanks goons.

I'm guessing you have the same problem with a decent third party file explorer, like Solid Explorer? I notice there's a plugin that might help depending on how the drive is configured.

Also I'd make sure your phone is in the correct USB mode, though I'd suspect if you can see the files but can't move them that it is.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you have the same problem with a decent third party file explorer, like Solid Explorer? I notice there's a plugin that might help depending on how the drive is configured.

Also I'd make sure your phone is in the correct USB mode, though I'd suspect if you can see the files but can't move them that it is.

Yeah I was using ES file explorer. It defaults to USB charging but I change it to file transfer and get nowhere.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is there any chance you have it formatted to FAT32?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khablam posted:

Is there any chance you have it formatted to FAT32?

It's just formatted to whatever the phone decided to format it to. I've connected the phone to my PC and copied media files onto it larger than 4gb previously with no issues. I have to think it's a software thing on the phone side.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Touch the label on the left of the vertical pipe with the checkbox on the right.

Right on. Thank you very much. I had no idea that was something one could even interact with.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Right on. Thank you very much. I had no idea that was something one could even interact with.

Neither did I, the UI is terrible. I just knew there's no way they stripped out all the notification channel options without me having read about it at some point.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Neither did I, the UI is terrible. I just knew there's no way they stripped out all the notification channel options without me having read about it at some point.

So the option "button" is an invisible button like a Mario secret level entry?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
So my Nexus 6p battery is toast, so I need to upgrade soon. I was all ready to get the Pixel 3 until I started reading this thread. I actually wasn't feeling the size of the 3XL, just seemed too friggin big. Are the smaller variants of the Pixels inferior somehow?

I've also toyed with finally going iPhone, but I'm afraid since I've been all Android since the beginning. Not sure I can handle such a drastic switch.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Are the smaller variants of the Pixels inferior somehow?

No. Same camera, same hardware, just smaller. At least that's true for the originals and second gen. We don't have much information on the smaller Pixel 3 right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

About the only ways the smaller pixels are lower specs is they obviously have a smaller battery since they are physically smaller and they have had a lower resolution display (again because of the smaller size.)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Are the smaller variants of the Pixels inferior somehow?

Yea, on the small one the notch spans the entire width of the phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Incessant Excess posted:

Yea, on the small one the notch spans the entire width of the phone.

Google! Why gently caress everything up!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Incipio now making edge cases I see

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My pixel 2 has been perfect since I got it. No, I don't care about anyone else's reported problems. Mine does not have them, and is thus the perfect phone.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

RZA Encryption posted:

My pixel 2 has been perfect since I got it. No, I don't care about anyone else's reported problems. Mine does not have them, and is thus the perfect phone.

High five, fellow flawless Pixel 2 friend

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I was using ES file explorer. It defaults to USB charging but I change it to file transfer and get nowhere.

Try Solid Explorer and the plugin LastInLine linked.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Two questions: what are the odds the pixel 2 gets a significant discount in September? Zero? And how bad is the camera on the Nokia 6.1? I've read that it's not great but as long as it's not worse than my Galaxy S6 I'd be okay with it. I would rather wait for the pixel 3 but I need a new phone before October.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Magissima posted:

Two questions: what are the odds the pixel 2 gets a significant discount in September? Zero? And how bad is the camera on the Nokia 6.1? I've read that it's not great but as long as it's not worse than my Galaxy S6 I'd be okay with it. I would rather wait for the pixel 3 but I need a new phone before October.

I'd put money that you won't see a pixel 2 discount until around Black Friday

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

vyst posted:

I'd put money that you won't see a pixel 2 discount until around Black Friday

Yeah. I pulled the trigger on getting a Pixel 2 because I'm done with OnePlus, and I figure if I really want a 3 at some point I can always do a trade-in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

THF13 posted:

Try Solid Explorer and the plugin LastInLine linked.

Thank you I will.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Magissima posted:

Look at camera samples and decide? The S7 was when the camera took a large leap forwards, so your S6 should be on-par with current mid-low-range options.
The Nokia 8 (non-scirocco) is also cheap everywhere, and it's camera is better for sure. You'll get a better chipset this way.

Using the GCam mod on either should help a lot too.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the s6 has a 16MP camera wide angle. It has the best camera of any phone for most of my purposes and it IS better than the one on the S7 unless you are talking low light.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

High five, fellow flawless Pixel 2 friend

Me three!

Although I will be tempted to trade for the Pixel 3 if Verizon has any good trade-in deals.
Basically a better Pixel 2 with a little more screen space and smaller bezels? Yes please.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think really highly of my Pixel 2 as well except it turns out I'm using the split screen mode way more than I thought I would, so I can see myself switching to a big phone for my next device.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Borrowed Ladder posted:

So my Nexus 6p battery is toast, so I need to upgrade soon. I was all ready to get the Pixel 3 until I started reading this thread. I actually wasn't feeling the size of the 3XL, just seemed too friggin big. Are the smaller variants of the Pixels inferior somehow?

I've also toyed with finally going iPhone, but I'm afraid since I've been all Android since the beginning. Not sure I can handle such a drastic switch.

I went from a Nexus 6 to a Pixel regular size and I kind of miss the big phone. My next phone will probably be an XL. Functionally the Pixel is great and I haven't had any issues with it. Since the Pixel 3 isn't out yet there's always the chance there'll be some hardware issue but it seems like those have been less common since the Nexus line.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I think really highly of my Pixel 2 as well except it turns out I'm using the split screen mode way more than I thought I would, so I can see myself switching to a big phone for my next device.

but then you'll have to carry a big rear end phone around

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've only noticed a couple UI hi-jinks with my P2. About 30% of the time, returning to the home screen from the feed comes with a jittery animation.

The other thing which is way more annoying is screen rotation is janky in multiple ways. The quick settings toggle almost always takes two taps to turn off. It will show an interaction on the first tap, but not actually change. Also, about 50% of the time the rotation itself takes a couple tries (turn the phone once, no change. Turn it back to portrait then back to landscape again, and it works). This has been the case since I got the phone at launch and persisted through the Pie update.

Otherwise I'm happy with it. Don't see myself upgrading to a P3 unless they do a really sweet trade in deal again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Amish Ninja posted:

Yeah. I pulled the trigger on getting a Pixel 2 because I'm done with OnePlus, and I figure if I really want a 3 at some point I can always do a trade-in.

What's wrong with the OnePlus? After today's research I was kind of sold on the 6T (based on speculation).