Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I liked the last and current gen of Insignia? :shrug: I had one as a company car in Europe and bought a Regal when I came back to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

Do you honestly believe the majority of drivers would take seriously an injunction to never change the radio station without pulling over first

This is one of those "what is vs. what should be" sort of situations.

Powered Descent posted:

Got it. I'll stop using the clutch, gearshift lever, cruise control, windshield squirters, window defrosters, and rear-view mirror dimmer switch immediately.

drat it I knew I left some things out but I didn't realize it was that many.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Also the hazards, which you use to slowly pull off the road.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also the hazards, which you use to slowly pull off the road.

What was that? You turn them on when it starts raining?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When you say 'hazards', do you mean the 'I know it's wrong to park here, but I promise I'll just be a second' signal lights??

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I have mine wired up to the bat signal, it's a lot more useful and people actually notice it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When you say 'hazards', do you mean the 'I know it's wrong to park here, but I promise I'll just be a second' signal lights??

I thought they were get-out-of-jail-free-i-can-drive-park-like-an-idiot lights

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you or your car isn’t road-worthy, but you still really want to drive then hazards are a way to warn people.

If cops pulled over everyone with their hazards on they’d probably nab a lot of drunk/high people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Heh. No, I mean "I have no idea where the gently caress I am, I'll pull off the road to stop impeding traffic flow" lights.

e: Because a congenital inability to recognize landmarks, not because medication.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Aug 20, 2018

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Horace posted:

I wanted a double DIN touchscreen thing for my car, but literally every one of them has an interface designed by the same guy who did your Winamp skins in 1999. Look at this clusterfuck:

All this did was remind me that I desperately miss MilkDrop visualizations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neito posted:

All this did was remind me that I desperately miss MilkDrop visualizations.
I still keep Winamp around for this reason. I gotta admit I don't actually use it much anymore but I wouldn't want to not have it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
There's a calculator thread on Twitter and (mercifully) there's a site which aggregates the whole thing:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1030830856720527360.html

Some of my favourites:

I kinda want to take a bite out of this one:

The first programmable calculator, with magnetic sticks which actually contained programs! It cost $4k adjusted for inflation:

Heh, 800B:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

So I dunno if this would do better here or in Tech Relics, but I've been hooked on Oddity Archive for passing time at work and just...

Man, there were some weird attempts at weird poo poo in Chicago for some reason.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I forgot whichever thread this came up in, but I trawled some goodwills today and found something

Still sealed. I mean, not anymore, because I'm listening to it right now. 1985, just barely older than me.

I also found a book for the true connoisseur

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

American toilets are pretty obsolete....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Copy/pasted post in wrong thread, but I'm leaving it. I guess that...books are obsolete?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The swipe functionality is terrible on those.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No backlight? What are we, loving cavemen?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yes, but the wipe functionality is still unmatched!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That weight, though. And so wasteful - you end up with the cover and spine left over, and you just have to throw it away like a corn husk.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I also found a book for the true connoisseur

We have a 5150 in paperbacks all units respond.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Copy/pasted post in wrong thread, but I'm leaving it. I guess that...books are obsolete?

What thread was that supposed to go to?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A chat thread.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Armacham posted:

We have a 5150 in paperbacks all units respond.

Holy poo poo, my mom has that book

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Gross

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LifeSunDeath posted:

wow how did she get it from T-Bone?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I forgot whichever thread this came up in, but I trawled some goodwills today and found something

Still sealed. I mean, not anymore, because I'm listening to it right now. 1985, just barely older than me.

Can't remember if it was this thread or another one that I just talked about that demo album. My parents bought a Ford Tempo in 1988ish and this was included. The car was a possessed nightmare and was traded in within 18 months. The tape stayed, though, as Dad adored the harmony on Africa.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Can't remember if it was this thread or another one that I just talked about that demo album. My parents bought a Ford Tempo in 1988ish and this was included. The car was a possessed nightmare and was traded in within 18 months. The tape stayed, though, as Dad adored the harmony on Africa.

My folks had an album (1970ish) called "Chevrolet Sings Safe Driving and You" - best track was "Rain is a gentle thing but not when you're driving". Lost forever in a fire.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

porktree posted:

My folks had an album (1970ish) called "Chevrolet Sings Safe Driving and You" - best track was "Rain is a gentle thing but not when you're driving". Lost forever in a fire.

Once upon a time, companies would commission entire musicals for their big yearly board meetings

https://www.industrialmusicals.com/songs/

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Once upon a time, companies would commission entire musicals for their big yearly board meetings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZ3rwP5Czw

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a set of Apple developer songs. I think one extolled the virtues of the Apple II in all it's 80's sync glory. It's so bad.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have a set of Apple developer songs. I think one extolled the virtues of the Apple II in all it's 80's sync glory. It's so bad.

I like some of the goofy poo poo they did just because. I have a particular attachment to I Think We're a Clone Now

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Explosionface posted:

I like some of the goofy poo poo they did just because. I have a particular attachment to I Think We're a Clone Now

STOP STOP I'LL TELL YOU WHATEVER YOU WANT TO KNOW IF YOU JUST MAKE IT STOP! :negative:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Explosionface posted:

Holy poo poo, this is like chicken/egg with the Weird Al song. I know it goes one way but wish it went the other :allears:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Explosionface posted:

Holy poo poo.

That's so great.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In the early 2000s, you could buy certain motherboards for building your own computer, that had Dolby audio technology. nVidia got the licensing to include this with their chips and called it SoundStorm. There was a bad, cheesy promotional song for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is4dFncjKPg

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

In the early 2000s, you could buy certain motherboards for building your own computer, that had Dolby audio technology. nVidia got the licensing to include this with their chips and called it SoundStorm. There was a bad, cheesy promotional song for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is4dFncjKPg

Unleashing a Tsunami of Audio Energy

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
No one ever thinks to prepare Protection from Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

No one ever thinks to prepare Protection from Sonic.

To be fair, you picked the type upon CAST, not upon prepare.

(:goonsay:)